Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 01-28-2011
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Your take on Balaclavas?

i just want to know what people think about balaclavas with 2 eye holes versus just the one big opening. i only have one, its the large opening one and i'm going to be getting one or 2 more and ive never used one with 2 eye openings. so i just want to hear peoples opinions on one over the other. thanks
Old 01-28-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Your take on Balaclavas?

I've used the single opening since day one and believe most in Skippy racing do. It's personal preference and comfort.

Seems to me you see more double opening in drag racing where big flame out motor explosions are a serious consideration.
Old 01-28-2011
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

On the other hand, I bought a two-hole balaclava, as I figured that more coverage is better than none. The chance of a fire in a Skippy car is relatively remote, but, if it happens, I'd prefer to have maximum coverage.

I'm new to racing, but not to making decisions about safety gear, including Nomex.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Ken
Old 01-28-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Single opening here as well. Covering your nose with fabric takes some getting used to. Obviously, protecting against fire, the more coverage the better (a no hole model would be the best ), but if your racing is restricted to Skippy, the risk of a fire while you're in the car is pretty close to zero.
Old 01-28-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I like the three eye hole models....

Truthfully the single eyehole is fine....but...none of us speaking have been in a fire. If you are concerned them get the two hole model. If you are going to do any other racing with a larger fuel load, scca or other series I would get the most coverage for the money.
Old 01-28-2011
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer View Post
...none of us speaking have been in a fire.....
Perhaps Bobo can weigh in on this, based on his experience at Sebring 2 years ago.

Viz
Old 01-28-2011

OK, I know that I'm a raving paranoid, but when it comes to safety, more is better. At least until the point where it's getting in your way and preventing you from enjoying the activity in the first place. For myself, the two-hole balaclava doesn't bother me a bit and, where fire is concerned (however remote the chances in a Skippy car), I'll keep all the skin covered that I can manage.

That's just me, though...

Ken
Old 01-28-2011

Old 01-29-2011

Use that extra balaclava to cover the small of your back. That's where Skippy's fuel tanks are. Seriously though, you would have to be running behind a a car that has a ruptured fuel or oil line to need the extra protection of the two-holer. This coming from a guy who generally wears safety glasses under his face shield...
Old 01-30-2011
Skippy Instructor

Gallery Images: 10

The first one I ever had 20 years ago was a two-holer. After that, they've all been single. I found that I can breathe just a bit easier and get fresher air with the single-holer positioned just below my nose but over my mustache. Sounds a little silly, but it can make a big difference especially when it's hot and humid and you're in a closed cockpit car with your visor down (like I always do). The only thing that's not protected is my nose. With the two-holer, I felt like I was rebreathing hot air, kind of like breathing into a handkerchief all the time. Plus, I never really liked the little piece of fabric running between my eyes; the single-holer just seems like a clearer, less obstructed view.
Pete
Old 01-31-2011
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Hey guys. Good thread, and yes, relevant for me.

For those that do not know, I was in a pretty good fireball in March 2009 at Sebring while driving a vintage sports racer. I spent about 7 seconds unable to see anything but bright red flames. Could not even see my hands trying to unbuckle. The heat shoots into the helmet from below the chin.

I was wearing a single hole balaclava. I had no burns anywhere in the opening around the eyes or nose. However, I did have minor burns on my upper lip (which was covered by the balaclava), and the inside of my mouth. After speaking with the Sparco experts at the PRI show, they suggested the lip burn was caused by condensation that builds up in the fabric when you exhale. The water in this condensation may have transferred more heat and contributed to the localized burn. It also could have simply been where the heat was hottest as it shot up the inside of my helmet. Again, this part of my face was covered by the balaclava.

The inside of my mouth was burned by the short and only inhale I did after the explosion. Thankfully, I did not breathe deeply, or my lungs might have been toast.

I have no plans to go to the two-hole type because the disadvantage of comfort and the possibility of it shifting and blocking my vision a bit is not compensated by the marginal safety benefit. If I were drag racing, I might try the 2-holer, but for everything else, I'm happy with a single-hole.

Hope this helps!

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 01-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I have no plans to go to the two-hole type because the disadvantage of comfort and the possibility of it shifting and blocking my vision a bit is not compensated by the marginal safety benefit. If I were drag racing, I might try the 2-holer, but for everything else, I'm happy with a single-hole.
I'm a little surprised to hear that you're sticking with the single-holer, but I appreciate the informed data point. Maybe I'll pick one up and see how I like it.

You going to be at Sebring in two weeks? I'll be lapping on 2/16...

Ken
Old 01-31-2011

The drag race & stock car crowd often now fit a Nomex skirt to the bottom of the helmet. This is a (small) step up for them, as many of them don't bother with a balaclava to begin with. I would say that if you have a concern that some extra protection might soothe, combining one of those skirts with the standard balaclava might be just the ticket.

Personally, my phobia has always been eye injury. Stuff, usually metal stuff, falls off of race cars at a much higher rate than they come ablaze.
Old 01-31-2011
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
Personally, my phobia has always been eye injury. Stuff, usually metal stuff, falls off of race cars at a much higher rate than they come ablaze.
Yeah, EXACTLY why I always drive with my visor down, even in closed cockpit cars. I was behind somebody coming out of the bus stop at Daytona years ago, and he hit a cone. It bounced up and hit my windshield which promptly shattered into a million pieces. The windshield stayed in place, but tiny shards of glass were flying around inside the car.
Old 02-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
Yeah, EXACTLY why I always drive with my visor down, even in closed cockpit cars. I was behind somebody coming out of the bus stop at Daytona years ago, and he hit a cone. It bounced up and hit my windshield which promptly shattered into a million pieces. The windshield stayed in place, but tiny shards of glass were flying around inside the car.
hollyy smokess!!! that must of been like wtf!!! thank god for having the visor down at the bustop! Def. not a place to mess up going that fast even with allot of runn off room.
Old 02-01-2011

Quote:
I can't imagine why someone wouldn't keep their visor down at all times. Not doing so reminds me of guys who'd loosen their parachute straps for 'comfort' while flying along. If you need it, it's going to be in a hurry!

Ken
Old 02-01-2011
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
I can't imagine why someone wouldn't keep their visor down at all times. Not doing so reminds me of guys who'd loosen their parachute straps for 'comfort' while flying along. If you need it, it's going to be in a hurry!

Ken
I agree, Ken, but I think guys believe they're fairly well protected behind the windshield and they are...to a point. You're right though, when you need it down, you need it down NOW...and usually your attention is being drawn elsewhere at that critical moment. Watch in-car footage; it's amazing how many guys have it up.
Pete

P.S. Is this getting into hi-jack territory? If so, sorry.
Old 02-01-2011
Grand Master

This is a good quasi-hijack because it's a discussion about eye safety that follows a logical progression after a head sock fire protection safety discussion.

The visor down kicker for me happened while piloting an MX-5 around Lime Rock. I thought, "Great, it's warm but there's a windshield so I can open up the visor a bit." First lap coming around big bind the car in front of me dropped wheels at the turn 2 track-out, spraying dirt and gravel everywhere. Of course a bunch of gravel bounced into my car and one pebble did about 4 Rube Goldberg bounces and kicked straight into my left eye giving me a painful cornea scratch. I was able to continue but after the horse had left the barn I closed my visor with full awareness of why having it open even halfway would never be an option again. Before it happened I'd have sworn it wasn't even possible for a pebble to hit my eye around that windshield. Now I'm lucky I only had a cornea scratch and a bloodshot eye.

Ok... Lets talk about Baklava.
Old 02-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Ok... Lets talk about Baklava.
Mmm...baklava...
Old 02-01-2011

Quote:

Ken
I wear ANSI Z87 safety glasses under my helmet, both on the track and on the Ducati on the street. Face shield down anytime the wheels turn at the track. I do flip open the shield at low speeds on the street.
Old 02-01-2011
G-force junkie

Early in my career I had to operate on a guy in the middle of the night to extract a piece of metal from inside his eye. Blew in the side window of his pickup and completely penetrated the sclera into the vitreous cavity. He was incredibly lucky as it did not damage the retina permanently and he had no other associated complications like infection, which could have been devastating.

Had another patient who got side-swiped by someone who crossed the center line going the other way, got hit in the left eye with the dismantled side-view mirror, suffered an intraocular hemorrhage and detached retina. Fortunately he recovered after surgery.

Third patient had bilateral blunt force trauma to both eyes from the airbag in a head-on, one eye recovered but was left legally blind in the other eye due to massive intraretinal hemorrhage.

Freak stuff happens. And on a race track where people are running side by side, dropping wheels, and kicking up marbles and all kinds of crap, not really worth taking the chance of not protecting your eyes with something, be it the visor or polycarb glasses. I'm amazed at how many pits there are on my 2 yr old RayBans which I wear under my visor in the Skippy car. It's like birdshot.
Old 02-01-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

one in a million shot Doc, one in a million

I had a freakin piece of that cursed Road America pea gravel bulls-eye Marino's lipstick cam, stuck right in the lens opening, on the pace lap!
What is that, a 1/2 inch opening???
Was my 3rd weekend ever, you could still see a little bit of the video around the rock, so of course I watched it

"yes, I think I passed someone...or was that a tirewall'?

One in a million shot Doc...one in a million

Last edited by cdh; 02-02-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2011
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
This is a good quasi-hijack because it's a discussion about eye safety that follows a logical progression after a head sock fire protection safety discussion....

...Ok... Lets talk about Baklava.
My mom used to make baklava after they got back from a trip to Greece. Good stuff!!

Now, I'm pretty sure that THAT would be a full-throttle hi-jack!
Old 02-02-2011
Grand Master

Yeah... but a yummy nut filled, thick flakey filo dough good, honey dripping full throttle hi-jack.

I'm having a Peter Sellers Dr. Strangelove moment fighting with my right hand not to first salute and then eat the baklava.

Wait! If a hot fresh from the oven piece of baklava was thrown by a mad Greek race fan at your race car and bits flew into your open visor you could be blinded and burned if you didn't have your visor down and weren't wearing a two holed Nomex balaclava.

Whew... Didn't think I was going to be able to save that one.

Carry on... If you've got em smoke em.

Quote:
My mom used to make baklava after they got back from a trip to Greece. Good stuff!!

Now, I'm pretty sure that THAT would be a full-throttle hi-jack!
Old 02-02-2011

You could also sustain a serious walnut-grinding eye injury while making the baklava. Now, who prefers cloves in theirs?
Old 02-03-2011
administrationistperson

no cloves for me Ali

Took a while to find this...
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	dare.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	4178  
Old 02-03-2011
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
no cloves for me Ali

I knew there were folks out there who would not get out of bed without the ultra-safe ultra-protective no-hole model! With reservoir tip! Primum Salus!!
Old 02-04-2011

Gallery Images: 6

Quote:
Yeah... but a yummy nut filled, thick flakey filo dough good, honey dripping full throttle hi-jack.

I'm having a Peter Sellers Dr. Strangelove moment fighting with my right hand not to first salute and then eat the baklava.

Wait! If a hot fresh from the oven piece of baklava was thrown by a mad Greek race fan at your race car and bits flew into your open visor you could be blinded and burned if you didn't have your visor down and weren't wearing a two holed Nomex balaclava.

Whew... Didn't think I was going to be able to save that one.

Carry on... If you've got em smoke em.
correction Hi-jack firmly in place - I love baklava with extra honey mmmmmmmmmmm what a perfect thought before breakfast!!!!!
Old 02-04-2011

All this baklava talk isn't helping my willpower. I'm try to lose five pounds before my lapping day. 156 or bust! :-)

Ken
Old 02-04-2011
Grand Master

I can help you out there Ken. The cars are balanced and tested for an optimum driver weight of 165 lbs. So your ride height may be too high if you don't eat that baklava. Enjoy.

Quote:
All this baklava talk isn't helping my willpower. I'm try to lose five pounds before my lapping day. 156 or bust! :-)

Ken
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
I can help you out there Ken. The cars are balanced and tested for an optimum driver weight of 165 lbs. So your ride height may be too high if you don't eat that baklava. Enjoy.
That's great!
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
so is there a benifit of weighing much less? lets say around 137lbs :p...
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andor View Post
All else being equal (which it never is), a lighter driver/pilot is the cheapest & easiest performance boost going.

Ken
Old 02-05-2011

Gallery Images: 6

Quote:

You're killing me here Doug:rotfl mao: - what a great photo!!
Old 02-05-2011
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andor View Post
Absolutely. There's even a formula for figuring out the horsepower advantage of a lower weight driver. Can't remember what it is though.
Old 02-06-2011
Grand Master

About 5 years ago a 14 year old girl named Julia Landauer was my nemesis in the old sportsman series. With our relatively low powered cars I'd be ahead through the turns and then wave goodbye as she'd draw easily away down the straights. She probably weighed less than 120 lbs and I was at my peak of about 180. Though I didn't know the formula... I knew the formula.

Quote:
Absolutely. There's even a formula for figuring out the horsepower advantage of a lower weight driver. Can't remember what it is though.
Old 02-06-2011
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
About 5 years ago a 14 year old girl named Julia Landauer was my nemesis in the old sportsman series. With our relatively low powered cars I'd be ahead through the turns and then wave goodbye as she'd draw easily away down the straights. She probably weighed less than 120 lbs and I was at my peak of about 180. Though I didn't know the formula... I knew the formula.
Oh yeah, Julia was 100 pounds soaking wet and full of mud after the thanksgiving dinner football game. That is a very good example of the weight to hp advantage.

Back in the 90's, there was also a guy name Charlie Hilmer who was (I'm guessing) about 260 pounds. Good driver but could not run at the front. He lost about 80 pounds over a winter and dramatically dropped his times the next season. At least that's my memory of it, but it was cool to see.
Old 02-07-2011
administrationistperson

I seem to recall somewhere, some thread, someone saying the equivalent is 10 HP loss / 100 lbs added. Very scientific.....not but I can believe it
Old 02-07-2011
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
I seem to recall somewhere, some thread, someone saying the equivalent is 10 HP loss / 100 lbs added. Very scientific.....not but I can believe it
That sounds about right and seems very logical. In the Charlie Hilmer case, that would equate to 8 hp. In those cars, especially in the days before the formula cars had wings, that is an enormous hp gain.
Old 02-09-2011
HotShoeGreaseMonkey
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

I also seem to remember hearing from drag racers back in high school the 100lbs=10hp equation.

Bookmark This Thread