Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 02-24-2008
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Scanner suggestions

I'm interested in getting a handheld scanner. This will NOT be used in the race car. I'd like to hear the SB staff race chatter when I'm out and about the viewing areas around the tracks and not hovering near the staff to catch their wry comments. The family would use it as well when I'm actually on track ("hey, did they just call Dad a blooming idiot ?? " )

Being a scanner novice, I know little. I see Uniden is pretty robust in the number of models they offer, Radio Shack (made by Uniden ?) perhaps just a wee bit different but not by much.

Now, if I can just get past those NASCAR logos on the Unidens , any suggestions ? The BC95XLT lookis interesting, and probably has more function than I'll ever need, or does it ?

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

Viz
Old 02-24-2008
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Scanner suggestions

my Radio Shack scanner works fine, model Pro 95, 1000 channels, triple trunking, dual quads, blown, injected, etc. It is so overly complicated I will get something simpler next time, I need scanners for dummies.

I assumed it could scan at a track and pick up and store the freqs used by SB. No, at least I don't think it can, I only got to page 1,846 in the manual

I need to know the freqs, program them in, then I can scan amongst the channels. I know there must be a simpler way (I will hold the Nascar comments). Actually I can select a range of freqs that fall outside the SB freqs and scan for them, don't ask me how to do it again though.

It is a good unit, does a zillion things I will never need but I can listen to the ATIS and traffic at HPN, marine traffic, the cops / fire, weather, hams - all relatively entertaining things that I never do. Simple is better..........y'all

I think this is the equivalent model now

Some customer reviews are amusing

Favorite was this

Cons: Difficult Controls, Unable to scan prog/freq
Best Uses: Paperweight
Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend

or

Pros: Easy Open Package
Cons: Need PHD to program
Best Uses: Haven't been able to use

Last edited by cdh; 02-26-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2008
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I have had the Radios Shack $149 special for years. It works and once you have the frequency programmed you dont need to do anything, As CDH states, programming initially is not that simple. I carry the directions in my gear bag just in case...
Old 02-25-2008
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Yep... Radio Shack it is. Bought mine about 4 years ago. Back then $100. Didn't have am/fm and some other bells and whistles but don't need 'em. It's a bit big and clunky but it always gets the job done. Weather channel is useful as well.
Old 02-25-2008
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Hey, I have a Uniden "NASCAR" scanner - maybe a different model, but it is small and it works, and it was cheap. I used some tape to cover the NASCAR logo...

I created a cheat sheet about how to program, and have the Skippy, SCCA and ALMS freqs listed on the back - East is different than West, I learned.

I actually use it IN the car to listen in on the spotters - the humor is sometimes distracting, but I do get a heads up on "situations" earlier. I tuck it into my suit or clip it to the frame rail behind me. Reception if fine everywhere I've been, except between T6 and T7 at Laguna (behind the hill).

Key thing is to get GOOD earphones - I have a pair of custom ones from Sampson Racing - make the mold at home, they send them to you. I use when flying with my iPod and PC, better than Bose. Tom Roberts has a pair of the rock-star ones. They are made to fit under your helmet, and are compatible with the radio coaching setup. (I know have my helmet wired, so even easier)

If you are interested in getting a two-way radio, check with Todd Snyder - he hooked me up with Skippy's radio supplier and I got a used one for $99 with all the extras.
Old 02-25-2008
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

I have a $100 Uniden Nascar scanner-- and can't stand it. Have never been able to figure out how to get it to "hold" a frequency for more than a couple of minutes. When transmissions die down on the "instructor" channel, it wanders off to the corner worker channel or some other UHF channel in use nearby. I'm sure there is some menu item I have overlooked, but I have limited patience for trying to figure out that sort of stuff. Also have a Raceceiver which works great but no external speaker, so only works with earphones, for use in the car as Al talks about. Personally, the Skippy 2way deal sounds good as a next step-- a bit big, but probably the best overall.
Old 02-25-2008

Harsha -

Dude, an opthalmic surgeon who can't read directions - it inspires me.

There is a frequency hold function AND a scanning program, so you can just stay on one channel, or rotate between the main one and "Nick's Private Chastisement" channel - usually where they debate who's fault a wreck was. It is a pain in the ass to program, but it has an antenna and pretty good capture.

The Raceiver has BAD reception - no antenna per se, so pure line-of-sight and signal power-based. Plus, it eats batteries at the worst time...

The Racing Radios guys were great - just tell them Todd sent you. Ask Todd for the guy to call.
Old 02-25-2008
Diesel Demon

You guys are great, thanks for all the info.

If ignorance is bliss, I am full of it (bliss that is. Anything else is up for debate). I knew you "could" program frequencies, I didn't realize you "had" to. I thought "scanning" also included the ability to scan any and all frequencies in a band, regardless of whether or not you programmed them (thinking the programming was for convenience to get to the ones you wanted faster). I now know better.

Hmm, I wonder what's the best tape to use to cover the "NASCAR" logo ? I wouldn't want the wrong tape to add to any weight implications if it's used in the race car.

Viz
Old 02-25-2008
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDelattre View Post
Harsha -
Dude, an opthalmic surgeon who can't read directions - it inspires me.
I suspect those "directions" were not written with a higher consciousness in mind

Quote:
There is a frequency hold function AND a scanning program,
so everyone claims

Quote:
"Nick's Private Chastisement" channel - usually where they debate who's fault a wreck was.
highly entertaining, I agree. Which is why I don't mind it too very much when my scanner wanders over there. But, then again, the corner calls are pretty good too. Especially when you're IN the car.

Quote:
It is a pain in the ass to program,
sadly, very little patience for such sensations. PITA = "crappy product"
Quote:
The Raceiver has BAD reception
- agree

Great to hear from you, Al. Miss seeing you.
Old 02-25-2008
administrationistperson

This should help clear everything up..........

Radio Shack Guide to Rebanding Changes and Scanners
Old 02-25-2008
G-force junkie

That's what's great about these threads. Always so helpful.
Old 02-25-2008
Grand Master

That's also what's great about Doug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
That's what's great about these threads. Always so helpful.
Old 02-25-2008
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
That's also what's great about Doug...
Happy to help

Quote:
The Raceiver has BAD reception - no antenna per se, so pure line-of-sight and signal power-based.
Big Al you need to try one of these.....
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	antelmet.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2564  
Old 02-25-2008

You DON'T want to hear what the instructors are saying about you while you're on track.
Old 02-25-2008
Grand Master

Oh yes you do... Tell him if he turns any earlier... He'll be in Cleveland..."
At Tremblant in '05 I was in the steep part of the learning curve and Bob Ziegel gave me some feedback that I still wear as a badge of honor.

If the instructors know you have "ears" on some will talk to you directly and give you instant feedback that you can incorporate while driving. Wouldn't suggest it until you've run a few race weekends and the chatter won't distract more than help. The instructors also know where to give you feedback so that it's not overly distracting.

Would never suggest it for a newbie or someone distracted by the chatter but it works for some and it is useful to hear when a full course yellow has been called or when the green flag is waved coming back from a yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbs View Post
You DON'T want to hear what the instructors are saying about you while you're on track.
Old 02-26-2008

Harsha,

Forget the scanner chatter and all the programming crap. I have a tape loop you can put on you i-pod that goes something like ..." More gas! You da man!!!:...."
Old 02-26-2008
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer View Post
Harsha,

Forget the scanner chatter and all the programming crap. I have a tape loop you can put on you i-pod that goes something like ..." More gas! You da man!!!:...."
Thanks Chris!!
If the soundtrack is ZZ Top's La Grange I'm in!

...on the other hand, at the risk of getting overly existential about it, wouldn't "da MAN" already be full throttle?
Old 02-26-2008
administrationistperson

I'm afraid all I would hear is DAMN
Old 02-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
I'm afraid all I would hear is DAMN

"Damn it all!"
Old 03-01-2008
GrandMasterB

Gallery Images: 57
Angry Re: Scanner suggestions

I've had a Uniden for a few years now, what a pain in the ass. I'm a fairly intelligent person but this device makes me feel like an idiot. All I want is a basic radio that I can use for Skippy, and the local Whelen Modified races. Is that asking too much? Why does it have 34 buttons? In the 50s all my Channel Master radio had was a volume and tuning knob, it was fabulous!

By the way why are these god damned new cell phones so %$#%^%$ small and so &$&#@ complicated? All I want to do is call my proctologist. I don't want to take a picture.

OLDMAN
Old 03-01-2008
Grand Master

Bob, Bob, Bob... One again missing the point of miniature technology that allows you to put your phone where the sun don't shine, take a picture and send it to your protologist all in one easy motion, saving you the risk of venturing out on a cold snowy February day.
If you'd downloaded the PDF instruction file you'd have found simple step by step instructions on page thirty-two. Just make sure you have some hand sanitizer around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMAN View Post
By the way why are these god damned new cell phones so %$#%^%$ small and so &$&#@ complicated? All I want to do is call my proctologist. I don't want to take a picture.

OLDMAN
Old 04-11-2008
Diesel Demon

Quote:
I created a cheat sheet about how to program, and have the Skippy, SCCA and ALMS freqs listed on the back - East is different than West, I learned.......
Hey Al (or anyone else), can you post the Skippy frequencies (if that's not some sort of forum violation . Any others would be appreciated too.

Viz
Old 04-11-2008
Big Dick

They're always posted in the parts trailer at every race weekend
Old 04-11-2008
Diesel Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlippert View Post
They're always posted in the parts trailer at every race weekend
Thanks ! Do they change race weekend to race weekend (within the region that is)

Viz
Old 04-11-2008
Grand Master

In the East I've had the same channel numbers programmed into my scanner for the past two or three years and they've always worked at LRP, Sebring, VIR and Mont Tremblant so my answer would be no. Don't know if they rotate channels out west.

I think all the Skippy radios have pre-programmed multi-channels that rarely if ever get changed.

(Don't have my scanner at this location or I'd post the channel numbers for you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman View Post
Thanks ! Do they change race weekend to race weekend (within the region that is)

Viz
Old 04-11-2008

Gallery Images: 14

frequencies should go dependin what parts trailer is being used. Thats were the radio chargers are always stored so.....

The east coast trailer usually goes to the west coast for the winter, and the Mid-west trailer usually goes South. So frequencies that are usually posted in the door of the trailer should go as such and stay that way...

your welcome

Bookmark This Thread