Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions
View Poll Results: Should Michael Quit F1?
Yup, it's time for him to go. 8 53.33%
No, he's still in his prime. 4 26.67%
Take him or leave him. 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Should Michael Quit? - 'Ferrari Have Railroaded Schumi Into Quitting'

planet-f1

'Ferrari have railroaded Schumi into quitting'
8/9/2006

Michael Schumacher has been "railroaded" into retirement by Ferrari signing Kimi Raikkonen, according to the British press.

Following Sunday's Italian Grand Prix, Ferrari will announce their 2007 driver line-up and although there are some who still feel Schumacher will be included in that line-up, the general consensus in the paddock is that he will be announcing his retirement.

And according to The Sun newspaper, Schumacher's fans have Ferrari to blame for that.

'Schumacher was railroaded into announcing his retirement this weekend after Ferrari snubbed his request for more time,' the tabloid reported.

'At the last race in Turkey, the seven-time World Champ asked if he could have longer to decide whether to quit at the end of the season.

'But his Ferrari bosses insisted the 2007 driver line-up had to be confirmed after Sunday's Italian Grand Prix at Monza.'

The article went on to say that Kimi Raikkonen will be the man replacing Schumacher as 'Ferrari first moved for the Finn 13 months ago without consulting Schumacher.'

It doesnt sound like a particularly happy ending to Schumacher's Ferrari career, although former F1 driver and three-time World Champion Sir Jackie Stewart believes Schumi can end his stay at the Italian stable with another World title.

"There's no reason why Michael can't win the Championship," he said. "If so, that would be the ultimate time for him to bow out as an eight-time winner.

"There are people saying he should carry on but, for me, he is right to retire now.

"He is still young and there is still plenty more for him to do in his life. I have done things since retiring that have given me more satisfaction than anything I did as a driver.

"F1 is a lot safer than in my day, when every year we accepted that a few of us were going to die. But safety will have been an issue for him and he'll want to spend more time with his family."
Old 09-09-2006
Chris Hawley
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: Should Michael Quit? - 'Ferrari Have Railroaded Schumi Into Quitting'

I voted "No, he's still in his prime," but I should elaborate a bit. I definitely think that Schumi is past his prime, but he still has more talent than plenty of the current Formula 1 drivers. In my opinion, Schumacher could race for two or three more seasons and still be in contention for the championship (provided he was part of a good team). I think he could use an attitude adjustment but, then again, who couldn't?
Old 09-10-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
"F1 is a lot safer than in my day, when every year we accepted that a few of us were going to die. But safety will have been an issue for him and he'll want to spend more time with his family."
Whoa!! I know personally that everytime I get in the racecar, I may not be getting out of it. That is the sport I love it and that's how it is. But to go into a season thinking that a few of you guys wouldn't be here next year is simply absurb. How did they manage to walk without their feet hitting their balls? Does anyone recall the year that not one ferrari driver returned from the previous season b/c they all had been killed? I think it was 1954. I know it was the year that Mike Hawthorn died in a road accident, although he was racing another vehicle in the rain supposedly.
Old 09-10-2006
Chris Hawley
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Racing in the "old days" was completely absurd. The risk of death was through the roof, but that was probably the least of any of any of the driver's worries. Topping the list was most likely fire (red and bold, mind you), which was so common that it really should have been a crime. I would never, EVER have raced back then. Ever. I'm serious.
Old 09-10-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

The notion of crash worthiness was seldom part of the conversation even in the 1960's. We now have perfect 20/20 hindsight on what is possible with regards to crash survivability.

The F1 Grand Prix of Monaco in 1967 was televised on "Wide World of Sports" and Ferrari's Lorenzo Bandini, who was in 2nd place at the time, crashed at the harbour turn. The car flipped over and caught fire instantly. The response time of the safety crew was agonizingly long compared to our standards now. They put out the fire and righted the car with Bandini's charred unconscious body still strapped in. I vividly recall the overhead perspective that looked down on the whole horrifying scene. Bandini died 3 days later from the burns.

You could look at that scene and say "Why would anyone put themselves at risk like that?" But the likelihood of death was simply the cost of doing business back then. It wasn't until Jackie Stewart organized F1 drivers and they put their foot down about track safety that driver survivability became more than an afterthought.

Computer design and the art of crash survivability didn't really get good for another 20 years. CART (before the split) with the aid of computers figured out how to better protect the legs, feet and heads of drivers creating more of a safety cocoon. Fuel cells and reductions in fuel capacity reduced fire risk to almost zero overnight.

The HANS device had been treated like an ugly unmanly stepchild in all walks of racing until Dale Earnhardt's death illustrated how quick and arbitrary a basal skull injury could be. The HANS was quickly mandated in many series and is now considered a norm of auto racing.

We worry more about paying for crash damage than surviving a crash these days. Joey Hands recent crash illustrated every aspect of modern day crash worthiness in one long agonizing moment. He was dazed, bumped and bruised with one of his shoes never being found but he was racing at LRP the following week. Remarkable.
Old 09-11-2006
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Increased safety brought an end to paid drivers and the acceptance of paying drivers (other than patrons).

Bookmark This Thread