Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 05-20-2013
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Cabana #5 @ The Lime Rock Park Trans Am

For any of the usual suspects planning on attending this Memorial Day Weekend's Trans Am season opener at Lime Rock Park.

Stop by Cabana #5 on the hill above the left hander and say hi. We'll have some of the best seats in the house and a few snacks and beverages. Or bring your own. :-)

At this writing the forecast says 10% chance of rain and temps in the mid 60's so it could be a perfect race day.
(Update on Wed. forecast for Sat. now 50% chance of rain...)

See you on the hill!
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	4858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	4859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	4860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4374.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	4861  

Name:	IMG_4373.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	4862  

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-22-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2013
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Re: Cabana #5 @ The Lime Rock Park Trans Am

if it's bike weather, America's guest will be there! Thanks.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 05-25-2013
Grand Master

Temps in the 40's with 80% chance of rain. Yipes!
A good day to have a cabana.
Wear layers...
We'll have some extra seats in that covered dry spot on the hill.
Old 05-26-2013
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Good shelter. Great racing. Excellent host and good company. I stopped shivering about an hour and an adult beverage after I got home.
Thank you, Pat.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 05-26-2013
Grand Master

Agreed "oldred" A memorable day for all kinds of reasons.

The goal arriving to wind driven rain and 44 degree temps was to be overdressed. Wore ski pants, turtle neck, flannel shirt, down vest, LL Bean Maine warden's parka and insulated hiking boots. I was comfortable all day but many were not.

The wind was so strong that the scissor framework at the back of the cabana collapsed during the last race of the day. Fortunately we were packed up and ready to go and the corner legs held it up just enough that we could see the finish protected from the rain before evacuating. Doubt that particular cabana will live to see another race but it gave it's life for a good cause.

Visits from Roger Cote, Rick Pocock and Oldred among Skippy instructors. Other friends came by for our relatively dry protected perch on the hill to make it a very good day.

With low attendance due to the weather Eric Ives and Bruce MacInnes drew the "Maytag Loneliest guys in town award" for working the Skip Barber booth on the Midway.

Lots of good racing on track with my favorite being the F1600 races. Recent Skip Barber racers Jake Eidson won both races. Adrian Starrantino after spinning while battling for P2 recovered quickly finishing P3 in race 1 and took P2 in race 2. Aaron Teliz was P3 in race 2 and Ayla Agren who spun in race 1 finishing toward the back, recovered nicely in race 2 to finish P6. Impressive but not surprising to see these Skip barber kids dominating their new race series. The training works!

Great people gathered for a great day at the track in absolutely miserable weather conditions. We made the best of it!

A picture from the R1 F1600 winners circle with Jake Eidson on the top step and Adriean Starrantio in P3 on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Good shelter. Great racing. Excellent host and good company. I stopped shivering about an hour and an adult beverage after I got home.
Thank you, Pat.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	4874  
Old 05-29-2013
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

It's nice to know I didn't miss any great weather.

At Watkins Glen it was Snowing! Going into the boot there were actual snow flurries and I wished I had brought some snow tires for the car.
Saturday was VERY Windy and never reached 40 degrees all day. I longed for a closed car for once.

But Sunday was 50 and Breezy. The Perfect day to race at the Glen.

On Saturday I got out of the car and had those uncontrollable Shakes that start in your knees and extend to your core. There is no colder place in NY than at the Glen in the springtime.
Old 05-29-2013
Grand Master

George, I feel your pain but... You were driving a race car at Watkins Glen and we were sitting in a tent wrapped in warm clothing watching racing. Big difference!

Glad you were overcoming all obstacles and making it happen! Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
It's nice to know I didn't miss any great weather.

At Watkins Glen it was Snowing! Going into the boot there were actual snow flurries and I wished I had brought some snow tires for the car.
Saturday was VERY Windy and never reached 40 degrees all day. I longed for a closed car for once.

But Sunday was 50 and Breezy. The Perfect day to race at the Glen.

On Saturday I got out of the car and had those uncontrollable Shakes that start in your knees and extend to your core. There is no colder place in NY than at the Glen in the springtime.
Old 06-06-2013
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

Guys!

Just a follow up from The Glen.
On Sunday they run the Short NASCAR course. I have a new racing buddy; Charlie Campbell. He was the champion in F Production in the 2011 runoffs. He was in my racing group and I followed him for 10 laps. Passed him in turn one and pulled away. Boy! was I thru the roof!
Alas he was only slowing because he set a new lap record and was saving the car. So I came down to earth a bit.

BUT! I also set a new lap record for E Production! By 2 seconds! On the short course. I still have to find 2 seconds on the long course. My best lap is a 2min 12sec and I need to get to 2min 10.8sec for that.

I guess it was a good time after the snow blew away.
Old 06-07-2013
Grand Master

Bravo George! Outstanding news and great job!

You da man! :-)

Two seconds is a lot of time so take human bites. :-) The good news is the long course means more turns and the bites are smaller to make it up.

We're having tropical storm rain blow through here this weekend, so anyone racing on the east coast is using deep treads and wearing PFD's (Personal Flotation Devices)

Keep us posted going forward of your season in the Lotus.

Go fast, be safe and have fun!

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
Guys!

Just a follow up from The Glen.
On Sunday they run the Short NASCAR course. I have a new racing buddy; Charlie Campbell. He was the champion in F Production in the 2011 runoffs. He was in my racing group and I followed him for 10 laps. Passed him in turn one and pulled away. Boy! was I thru the roof!
Alas he was only slowing because he set a new lap record and was saving the car. So I came down to earth a bit.

BUT! I also set a new lap record for E Production! By 2 seconds! On the short course. I still have to find 2 seconds on the long course. My best lap is a 2min 12sec and I need to get to 2min 10.8sec for that.

I guess it was a good time after the snow blew away.

Bookmark This Thread