Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 08-03-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
What do you think about the new Instructor's Biography Database?

To go to the Instructor's Biography Database, please click here.

A lot of time and hard work (by a lot of people) has gone into it, and we hope you enjoy it and find it useful. And as more instructors create entries for themselves, it will only become better.

The idea behind the Instructor's Database is to educate Racing School students and Race Series drivers about the instructors that are teaching them and giving them feedback. So when a 3 day student is being told by some guy named 'Jim Pace' that he's turning in too early, he'll know that it's advice coming from a pro who has won the 24 Hours of Daytona on multiple occasions... Or if a new Race Series driver is being told to 'keep his eyes up' by an instructor named Keith Watts, it's coming from a professional racer who has logged over 1,000 starts in 22 years with over 100 wins under his belt.

It's also a place that will let instructors reach out to potential new students and clients, and give them a resource that will broaden their ability to provide coaching and other services.

If you don't see your favorite instructor in the database, please contact them and tell them to add themselves in.

And so please let us know what you think about it. If you love it or hate it, tell us. Let us also how we can make it even better.

Finally, I'd like to thank Tom Roberts for the idea behind the database and for collecting so many of the pictures. I'd also like to thank Pat Daly, Doug Harrison, Rob Slonaker, Carl Lopez and Randy Buck for their tireless help in making this happen. It's really appreciated, and I hope that all of your efforts make the skippy community stronger and bring it closer together.

Thanks

Sy

Last edited by dalyduo; 08-03-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2006
Selfish Bastard
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: What do you think about the new Instructor's Biography Database?

Sy, Kick ass. Just spent some time reading the profiles. I always knew these guys were the shit but when you put parts of their lives in print you see who incredible they are.

I have some much to learn and what a great live learning.

We all are lucky to have met and interact with these fine Men and Women and I will continue to work to increase my skill sets..... no seriously I will.

Haz
Old 08-03-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Sy and the Crew,

I love it. It is great to read these bios. Thanks for doing this.

Can't wait to read the rest!
Old 08-03-2006
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

The point of this gallery is to showcase and honor the professional drivers who share their knowledge so generously with us. The instructors not yet shown here have all been invited to fill out a bio and will be added as soon as they are able to.

Most people don't realize the depth of experience they are afforded at every Skippy event so we hope this gallery provides a brief glimpse of the varied accomplishments, character and talent that make up the Skip Barber instructor corps.

While some have hall of fame credentials, all share a special passion and talent for racing along with the higher calling of nurturing that skill and passion in others. Aren't we lucky to be in their company.

I've been slack-jawed with awe and doubled over with laughter reading their entries. Once you start... You'll find it very hard to stop... Enjoy!
Pat
Old 08-03-2006

Great stuff, thanks.

PS. Eagerly awaiting the other 30 or so bios...
Old 08-04-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Nice work getting these bios posted, Sy. It really is great to know the depth of knowledge and experience that we so easily take for granted with these guys. Thanks to the instructors that took the time to fill out their stuff and to Sy for the work it took to get this up and running. Now if we can just get the rest of them to get off their lazy a--es and join in we'd be able to worship them as is appropriate.
Old 08-04-2006
Big Dick

This is one of the best ideas yet. really good stuff!
Old 08-04-2006
Team OC/AD D

There are a bunch of new instructors bios in the gallery. Go check them out. REALLY COOL.
Old 08-04-2006

Gallery Images: 8

Sy:

Great idea and great Bios. After knowing what a great job our instructors do first hand, this is just further confirmation of why they are so skilled at what they do. I feel very privileged to be learning from such a great group of talented racers. My desire to reach the pinnacle of racing mediocrity is reinforced once again.
Old 08-05-2006
Running Amok.

Great reading... appreciate all the work... especially by the instructors to submit it all.

Congrats to Wilcox for making not 1, but 2 'Most admired student' lists.

Best story? Stevie D BY FAR. Unbelievable!!
Old 08-05-2006
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Sy is being too modest, some of us fill in about 10% of the site work, the rest is all his.

Seriously folks, for those who don't know it, Sy puts in many a late night working on this cyber paddock so we all have a place to hang out and rant, praise, brag, laugh and cry together.

The new Instructor Profile section is really well done. I was a bit of a devil's advocate when we discussed creating it, but once again Sy (and Pat and Macdod) proved me wrong and I am glad to see so many of our Instructors participating (OK, time for the rest of you instructors to please step up, we all appreciate it and it is great reading).

Thanks again Dude, great job....
Old 08-05-2006
Skippy Girl

Gallery Images: 1
Thumbs up Re: What do you think about the new Instructor's Biography Database?

Love it Sy, Thank you for all the hard work.
I second Niner Niner Niner's vote for Stevie D. Too Funny

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
Old 08-06-2006
Skippy Girl

just read the late adds and have to say the pics of Wally on the Segway and Nick Nick on the hood of the rental are classic. Thanks to all the Instructor types who posted. Love ya on track and on TJR. Hope to see more!

- At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan

Last edited by JuicyGirl; 08-06-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2006

This thread is a treat and a treatment. What a continuing privilege to learn from these most talented instructors, sometimes by sorting out the diametrically different things they tell us - just to set us really thinking.
Old 08-06-2006
Grand Master

Thumbs up Re: What do you think about the new Instructor's Biography Database?

John, wonderful observation on the varied individual paths to the same end, and how, even with top experts, we all have to forge our own path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Greist
This thread is a treat and a treatment. What a continuing privilege to learn from these most talented instructors, sometimes by sorting out the diametrically different things they tell us - just to set us really thinking.
Old 08-07-2006

Very nice enhancement to the site. The Bios are both informative and can be quite humorous
Old 08-08-2006

Looking forward to more reports now that many mug shots are posted. Where's Duck Waddel?

How about an Emeritus category: Skip, Paul Brand, Divi, Barry Waddell - I bet there are plenty of others with wonderful stories to tell.
Old 08-08-2006
Grand Master

That's a GREAT IDEA! John... Makes me smile just thinking about it. Let's see what we can do.
Old 08-08-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Fantastic idea, Sy and great idea John, with the ex-instructors. Skip had it right. These guys are what is good about this company and gives the brand the goodwill it deserves. As the biography list grows, you'll be amazed.
Old 08-08-2006
Team OC/AD D

Duck Waddell is still in the hidden editing category, no one has taken the effort yet to fill his bio out. If one of you wants to volunteer, then I'll put him in the public category and give you editing rights. Please let me know.
Old 08-09-2006
Team Flying Randalls

Love the instructor biography page - - great idea, thanks to everybody who has and will contribute - - great information, and entertaining too.

Steve
TFR
Old 08-09-2006
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
THIS WAS A GREAT IDEA!
I am really surprised this wasn't thought of before. It is sure nice to see that snide attitude transfers to their own biography.
Loved every comment
Thanks Sy for thinking of this one
Old 08-10-2006
Team OC/AD D

George, it wasn't my idea, so I can't take credit - Tom Roberts deserves it.

Also, I'd like to make a not-so-subtle plea to ALL of our members: If you truly like the bios, and you'd like to see more of them, then you need to contact the instructors that have yet to fill them out, and let them know you want them to do it. They need to know that more than just a few of us really care, otherwise they probably won't do it.

So go to the Instructor's Gallery, click on the contact link for each instructor that has an empty bio, and send them a message.

It's in your hands.
Old 08-10-2006

Sy's being kind. It's easy to come up with an idea and take a few photos. He's clearly done a serious bit of work on these bios and it is appreciated.

But now for the tough part........Getting these guys to join in. I am sorry to say it appears a lot of the unfinished bios are from our most excellent but difficult to motivate West Coast Instructors. Fortunately I have an email list of these boys and am not above pestering them. I am wondering if there is a way for others to send me emails that I can forward to these gentleman so they see just how much we miss their inspiring thoughts. Any ideas, Sy?
Old 08-10-2006
Team OC/AD D

Sure, if you want they can email you directly from this site, or you can just give them your email address. For someone to be able to email you directly from this site, you'll have to first turn on your 'Receive Email from Other Members' option in your preferences/user cp. Just click on that link and look for the option.

Or, people can just email or Private Message the instructors directly. There is an email/PM link for each instructor in their bio.
Old 08-10-2006

Okay, done deal. Two options. Either you can email individual instructors or you can send me your emails and I will forward them to all of the instructors I have on my list, which is all of the West Coasters and a bunch of others. Thanks for the help.

Bookmark This Thread