Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 11-30-2009
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

helmet question

i want to get a really good helmet for my son and want help on which one. i'm leaning towards the Bell GTX. his karting helmet is really light, and not high end, but chosen because of it's weight. his helmet for closed cockpit racing (bandolero cars) is a GForce and very heavy. that weight doesn't matter in that car due to the Hans and head restraints. i would love it if the new helmet for open cockpit racing could be light weight and used for karting as well. my son is 11 and small so weight plays a big part at least in karting. don't know if it's that big a deal in the SB cars. thanks for any advice.
Old 11-30-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
Re: helmet question

You will undoubtedly get some very good advice here. (I like my Arai helmet, and they are very popular, although by no means the only choice, with Skippy drivers.) Whatever you do, get a good quality helmet. As someone once said, "If you have a $50 head, buy a $50 helmet."
Old 12-01-2009
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post
You will undoubtedly get some very good advice here. (I like my Arai helmet, and they are very popular, although by no means the only choice, with Skippy drivers.) Whatever you do, get a good quality helmet. As someone once said, "If you have a $50 head, buy a $50 helmet."
Ditto. Arai has many different sizes. Not only SMLXL etc. but at least three different head shapes as well. Weight plays a role in comfort. Proper fit much more so. Problem is I assume you intend to keep feeding your young racer so while Arai ain't cheap, you'll get to buy lots of them as he grows. And a larger refrigerator.
Welcome to the dark side.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Last edited by oldredracer; 12-01-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: dictionary
Old 12-01-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I like the Arai for fit, aerodynamics in car, and weight. I find that the fit will vary from person to person so I would highly recommend he try different brands and models on with the assistance of someone in the know. The Arai has a nice balance between weight and aero dynamics. In the Skippy cars you can get some weird air issues in and around the head at speed on long straights.

The eye port size can also be an issue for some. Some drivers need a wider eyeport due to motion sickness and vision issues. Others like the narrower ports to limit distractions and sun issues.

Ted's comment about buying a high quality helmet is of utmost importance. I would also make sure you purchase the latest Snell Rating so the helmet has some legal life left. I believe the Standard is changing some time in 2010. Perhaps someone else at TJR can comment on that issue.

Last edited by LimeRockRacer; 12-02-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2009
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

we're heading down to the PRI show next week, so i'll plan for him to try on helmets there, as i'm sure they will all be there. thanks for the advice!

Bookmark This Thread