Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions
View Poll Results: Do you like the changes F1 has made to increase overtaking?
Yes, the racing is much more exciting and the changes are good for the sport. 12 52.17%
The racing is more exciting, but it feels artificial. 7 30.43%
The excitement is completely artificial and dumb. F1 has become WrestleMania. 2 8.70%
Bring on Bernie's sprinkler system! All those marbles are bad for the environment! 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
F1 Chinese Grand Prix

What did TJR/SF members think of the F1 race this weekend? I found myself completely absorbed in the drama from practice to the post race interviews, to the point that I got up to watch the race live. The racing was exciting, the differences in strategy created real tension, several drivers seemed to have a chance to win, and the final victor was in doubt until the very end, with Webber's charge through the field creating the juicy possibility that he might have a go at Vettel for 2nd (given one more lap, he probably would have). The changing fortunes of Hamilton and Webber with evident frustration during qualifying and unique tire strategies that paid off in the end, Button's stop at the wrong pit box, Rosberg and Massa's impressive performances, Hamilton's emotion at the end-- all seemed to bring out the human element more than usual.

Of course, much of the drama was possible only because of the insanely high rates of tire degradation Pirelli was instructed to provide, the movable rear wing (DRS), and the problems RedBull are having with their KERS systems. My question is, do you think these new technical additions to F1 actually make for good racing, or are overly artificial means of trying to spice up the action and create a false spectacle, as drivers on old tires have no chance of defending themselves? Or is avoiding being a sitting duck in the late stages the incentive teams need to bring strategic decision-making (as opposed to pure speed) back into the sport?

Last edited by Slowhands; 04-17-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2011
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: F1 Chinese Grand Prix

I am intent on watching all F1 live this season (again), getting past China is big, a good one to have under the belt, thanks Red Bull One of the most FUN race weekends we have seen in a while imo, thumbs up. So great seeing Vettel's magic from on-board cams, he is simply brilliant. Very nice job by Lewie, and pat on the back to McLaren for getting back in form so quickly...one can only imagine the nuttiness going on in Maranello at the moment The story of the weekend was Webber though, hell of a run....a very focused red mist can be a good thing. So many different, exciting battles going on throughout the race, just great. I think DSR is a great idea, but am surprised at its introduction. I must assume a failure to lower wont spell disaster in the brake zones (helps top end more than assists braking?). I love the telemetry extras too. The F1 fan appeal has been improving for the last few years, I must say well done...B...Ber...B-B-Bern....no, I still can't say it

What about Fernando using his DSR where it is illegal to do so? Was there any wrist-slapping for that very clear, on-air, slo-mo violation?

Bring on Istanbul and turn 8...Diabolica

Last edited by cdh; 04-17-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

I'll second Doug's observations.

I love what I'm seeing and think it's all good for the sport. DSR is their version of our hamster device and it sure is a lot better than when Michael won every week and you wouldn't see a pass after the first lap. They've worked hard at making the racing more exciting. More drivers and teams are in the hunt and there is much more uncertainty about who will win. It all makes you want to watch the race. I too stayed up to watch live and felt rewarded. I'm fine with the tire changes and rules.

Great to hear Weber used the harder compound early and then ran everybody down with the softer tires at the end when most had used their softies up. He caught so much flak in blogs and press for his low qually... All kinds of unkind talk about him being over the hill. He walked the walk and shut everyone down... Good for him.

DSR, KERS, two tire compounds that must be used and no more fuel stops give the teams many more strategic options and it all makes for better racing for race fans. Even the drivers seem happier.
Old 04-17-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post

What about Fernando using his DSR where it is illegal to do so? Was there any wrist-slapping for that very clear, on-air, slo-mo violation?
From BBC Sport, Andrew Benson's blog:
I see one of the key questions you have is why we saw Fernando Alonso's moveable rear wing deploy at one stage between the two final corners when this was not in the zone in which it is allowed to work.

I have an answer to that.

What happened was that on that lap only, Alonso's wing was not enabled until 300 metres before the braking zone for the corner at the end of the long back straight - when it should be available from 750 metres before the corner.

The wing was then available after the corner for a short time. Alonso therefore gained no advantage as he was only able to use it for a very short time on the straight, in a slow corner and on the exit from that corner.

In those circumstances, obviously there will be no penalty as it was an error - the reasons for which are still being investigated - which did not help the driver in any way.
Maybe he was pushing the button on the following corner trying to figure out why it didn't work right the first time. Maybe it was just a conditioned response to being right behind another car and trying to pass. In any case, I personally can't blame the guy for leaning on the button. None of us would, right?

Quote:
Bring on Istanbul and turn 8...Diabolica
I can't wait! It's going to be a long 3 weeks.
Old 04-18-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Weber's run was the highlight for me but I'm biased toward the elderly. DRS seems to work although it makes the lead car a sitting duck. Wait. Isn't that like Formula Vee? OK. 200 mph Formula Vee.
Oh. Hey Red Bull. How fast would Weber have gone if your very-fine KERS system had been off the car completely???
Anybody else wanna rip off all the wings, bolt on three foot wide tires and let the largest appendiges win???
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 04-19-2011
somewhere out there
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

I like that the adjustable rear wing is only available to the following car and only when it's within one second. People will say that's unfair to the car ahead but I think it cancels out the unfairness of the trailing car losing lots of front grip in the corners running in turbulence.

For that reason I'd love to see the DRS be active anytime you're within a car a second ahead. So the lead car has an advantage in the corner, the trailing car makes it up on the straight. Monza would be insane.
Old 04-22-2011
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

One of the best F1 races in recent memory! Weber - best drive of the race! Maybe he will get some confidence back for next race. Nice to see Hamilton challenging Vet's dominance, but SeaBass-F1 is sooo good! I only hope our SeaBass-Skippy has such success one day.
Old 04-30-2011
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

I'm all in. Gadgets be damned... passing for wins on track is racing. Lewis on the top step is a bonus!
Old 05-23-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

This seems to fit in here. Mario Andretti was interviewed during Indy qualifying last weekend and he allowed as to while today is all about aero packages with the driver flat all the way around the oval, back in the days of more horsepower than you could use, driver, uh, input played a bigger role.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Tags
formula 1

Bookmark This Thread