Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 09-12-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6
Question Mid-Ohio

So let's make a roster - who is going to Mid-Ohio this coming weekend!!!!!
Old 09-12-2010
Diesel Demon

Re: Mid Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Subject View Post
So let's make a roster - who is going to Mid-Ohio this coming weekend!!!!!
Well, I am, but you knew that. With 70+ signed up, I'd say just about everyone will be there.

Viz
Old 09-13-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

I'm in...
Old 09-13-2010
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

My first race since last October! I can't wait!
Old 09-13-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

In!

Also joining me will be Tom Baluk (will be his 2nd race w/e), Aaron Fernandes (Mr. 1 7/8ths), and Gunter Heiland (will be his 2nd race w/e).

We are all on the same flight, taking the same rental car, and staying in the same condo somewhere near the track. If we were smart, this arrangement would allow us to compare notes, discuss strategy, and prepare ourselves for the next day's activities. Since our average IQ is about 54 my guess is it will be 2am and we will be watching the movie Jack Ass with a cigar in one hand and a Pabst Blue Ribbon in the other like we did at VIR...

Looking forward to it!
Old 09-14-2010
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Driving there Wed. Hope this forecast holds true, beautiful!
Old 09-14-2010

Good news. Aaron Fernandes (He of 1 7/8ths fame) has told me that he took a look at the track map and "the track looks pretty simple". Phew. I was worried.
Old 09-14-2010
Grand Master

Everything's simple when you only drive half the track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraige View Post
Good news. Aaron Fernandes (He of 1 7/8ths fame) has told me that he took a look at the track map and "the track looks pretty simple". Phew. I was worried.
Old 09-14-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
I don't know, Jim. There are 2 options for the entry to the Keyhole, not to mention those alternate access road type thingies across the track after Turn 1 (the one that launched Joey Hand and Stirling). Anything could happen.
Old 09-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Anything could happen.

...and if history is a guide, it probably will!!! I do think this is his breakout weekend. He is due. If not, at least we will have fun. He may not, but we will watching him.
Old 09-15-2010

never driven this track - cant wait to see video.
Old 09-15-2010
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Smile Re: Mid Ohio

i'm in.
i done a lap or two there.
easy track
boring
nothing technical.
you all can skip the practice and lapping, nothing to learn.
Old 09-15-2010

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Maybe Aaron should be the driver for the van-around.
Old 09-16-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
never driven this track - cant wait to see video.
Watch the two races in the video forum, Ludwig v Wilcox and the memo race video done by Bobo, both classic
Old 09-16-2010

Gallery Images: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edwards View Post
i'm in.
i done a lap or two there.
easy track
boring
nothing technical.
you all can skip the practice and lapping, nothing to learn.
Nice try Mike - I am not falling for it......
Old 09-19-2010

OK DalyDuo (and others), you're always grumping when we go off to a great track and don't post results and stories immediately to feed your Jones, so give me some of your crushing word count. Did Aaron-1-7/8 master the track pronto? Did Viz teach GT anything? Did Jim Craige once again move from the boardroom to the podium with effortless grace? Pray tell. And soon.
Old 09-19-2010

Gallery Images: 8

Sitting here in cleveland waiting for my flight. Great weekend, great track but difficult to master for many. All the usual suspects we there with the exception of some. There were five groups consisting of 3 mx5 and 2 Formula. Saturday was dry and a beautiful day at Mid O. Most notable was Jim Craige taking a P4 and P 1 in MX 5. The masters battled all weekend for the best that could be had with all the young talent attending in both MX and RT.

Early morning races today had to deal with the wet on an already slippery sealed track. Diaboloical at best. Ashley Freiberg had a great battle this AM against her brother in the wet. She held him off quite well until he finally overtook her late in the race, only to then throw himself off in the gravel in turn 7. Sister Ashley checked out and won with her usual speed and grace.

Spencer Pigot came to warm up for his national finale and put on a show in a couple of races by starting at the back of the pack and winning at least one if not two. I do not recall all the specifics but in one race today he was leading again until someone had contact with him late in the race.

In the Formula masters there was plenty of good fun and gamesmanship showing up in the battles for the points race. Not sure how it will all come out bit the race results will speak for themselves when published. We had big fields in Formula with 20 cars in each race. Loads of fun for all. There were battles at almost every level.

I am sure others will add to this when they return. Getting ready to board and hope to see you all at LRP!

This is a track that takes every ounce of technique, brain trust, and speed to do well. Every corner will spoil it for you if you do it wrong. It is probably the most technical track we run.
Old 09-19-2010

It was great fun, and a character defining experience,,, on a couple of levels....
Old 09-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edwards View Post
It was great fun, and a character defining experience,,, on a couple of levels....
need more details!!!
Old 09-19-2010
administrationistperson

Radio Re: Mid Ohio

Race Chatter All Groups

Unedited - most group race starts are right near beginning of recording, I was in G2 so green is a ways into recording on both....will trim heads and tails and upload again when I get home. Quality should be good, I haven't listened to any except G2R1 and reception is very good on this so all should be better than usual.

Just listening and watching G2R2 - at 19:41
Old 09-20-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
need more details!!!
Will add some more soon, working on other stuff at the moment. In a nutshell, tons of fun of course, many good friends, some I haven't seen a quite a while (Matt Varsha, Joey D'Agostino for 2). A ton to learn about the subtleties of this track, would take me many more laps to really get it down but was pleased with progress. I wasn't too concerned with results, I am in the running for P nothing, goal was to have a good time and not bend anything and to that end it was a success. R1 was sunny and dry, started P13 out of 19 I think, got up to P6 (some passes but more the attrition strategery, works every time), then gave a few back to the fast one-stop strategy folks, then missed my footwork and went 4-off in the Carousel, doh! So I finished about where I started but had a good time.

R2 was a wet, then drying track. Mid-O is slippery when dry and diabolically slippery when wet so I started out VERY cautiously (I literally could not have damage, challenging mindset to race with). Track was changing to damp and dryish quickly, love these conditions more than anything I think, too much fun looking for grip, finding some others may not be aware of and smoking a few unsuspecting drivers, big smiles. Mid-O communicates pretty clearly in most sections as to what is wet, damp and grippy so a TON of fun. BUT I spun going over the top of 8, went 4-off turning around, did my stop after 3 blacks then decided to have some fun and go for it. Had fun passing twice with rim shots around 8, LOL at those guys as I did...then my rodeo riding bit again...at 8...again, and I spun after cresting the hill. This time momentum kept me going around, I downshifted as I went around 360 and stabbed the throttle once heading race direction losing little time and evoking cheers from those on the overlooking pavilion (according to Mr Daly...hey, I figured I'd give them a show right? ). Next time by the pits I gave Watts the lasso arm signal, he was at that.

I felt pretty tired and crappy this AM, was thinking maybe I have had enough SBRS for a while. Then after a session (can hardly call it a race) like this one the needle was fully inserted again. Good time, more later, gonna watch my incar from today's race and see what *really* happened out there

Old 09-20-2010
administrationistperson

Oh yeah, gotta add this - went for a pace car ride with RB, figured I'd shoot some vid, see what i could get. He was on his cell the entire time, paces the group, drives into the (wet) grass to let the field by (vs using a pull off area), then rejoins and was chasing the field so I could get some interesting video. He's still talking on his cell, one handing the wheel and shifter, and I mean really pressing it. I shout out "RB, you're losing them!!" to egg him on. He's still chatting away, still one handing the driving chores and flying....in a word, WOW, I mean wow, RB IS Rocket Boy. We come to a stop in pit lane, I turn the camera to him and he made some casual comment as if this was business as usual in the pace car. RB is the best, just amazing driving, too funny.

Last edited by cdh; 09-21-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Oh yeah, gotta add this - went for a pace car ride with RB, figured I'd shoot some vid, see what i could get. He was on his cell the entire time, paces the group, drives into the (wet) grass to let the field by (vs using a pull off area), then rejoins and was chasing the field so I could get some interesting video. He's still talking on his cell, one handing the wheel and shifter, and I mean really pressing it...this was the slippery race, remember? I shout out "RB, you're losing them!!" to egg him on. He's still chatting away, still one handing the driving chores and flying....in a word, WOW, I mean wow, RB IS Rocket Boy. We come to a stop in pit lane, I turn the camera to him and he made some casual comment as if this was business as usual in the pace car. RB is the best, just amazing driving, too funny.
hopefully we can see some of this at the banquet
Old 09-20-2010
G-force junkie

Quote:
Oh yeah, gotta add this - went for a pace car ride with RB, figured I'd shoot some vid, see what i could get. He was on his cell the entire time, paces the group, drives into the (wet) grass to let the field by (vs using a pull off area), then rejoins and was chasing the field so I could get some interesting video. He's still talking on his cell, one handing the wheel and shifter, and I mean really pressing it...this was the slippery race, remember? I shout out "RB, you're losing them!!" to egg him on. He's still chatting away, still one handing the driving chores and flying....in a word, WOW, I mean wow, RB IS Rocket Boy. We come to a stop in pit lane, I turn the camera to him and he made some casual comment as if this was business as usual in the pace car. RB is the best, just amazing driving, too funny.
At VIR a year ago, I asked RB to take a guest for a hot lap, and I rode in the back seat. The first lap wasn't to his liking, so we continued on a second, significantly HOTTER lap. By the time we got to the rollercoaster, we were FLYING. The crazy guy went through Hogpen so fast we understeered off the exit and were fully 4 off with the car bucking like a bronco over all the gulleys in the clay. My friend's knuckles and face were a matching shade of white. It was awesome!!!!
Old 09-20-2010

Where are the results?!?!?
Old 09-21-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Where are the results?!?!?
Remember, fewer people handling the many tasks at SB, a little patience needed, I for one am fine with them staying hidden! I pretty much sucked, SO hard to not overdrive this track, my finesse was no where to be found

LOL your RB story Harsha, good one - my footage will be pretty....ummm.....bouncy, but I'll make use of it
Old 09-22-2010

can someone explain what happened in the memorial to me?
Old 09-22-2010
administrationistperson

Teams = one MX-5 and one F car, MX-5 raced, came in, tagged F car partner, they drove...how the timing and scoring worked was confusing and I didn't pay much attention to it. Someone who was in race care to explain?
Old 09-22-2010
Diesel Demon

Quote:
Teams = one MX-5 and one F car, MX-5 raced, came in, tagged F car partner, they drove...how the timing and scoring worked was confusing and I didn't pay much attention to it. Someone who was in race care to explain?
At I believe Paul Brand's suggestion, the grid for the F car was set in the reverse order from the MX-5 finishing position. Added to that was the respective F car starts (from pit lane) would be spaced based on the time difference between the MX-5 finishers. So, for example, if the last place MX-5 finished 10 seconds behind the 2nd to last place car, the F-car partner for the last place MX-5 car would start, then the F-car partner for the 2nd to last MX-5 car would be released for start 10 seconds later. Etc etc.

Would have worked a lot better if the F-car stint had more laps (time crunch prevented that) and the "back markers who in a previous stint were leaders" had a better chance to make up the time difference. It was still fun though

Viz
Old 09-22-2010
administrationistperson

Photo Re: Mid Ohio

I took a lot of pics at Mid-O, most have seen them on FB, they will be linked or added to SB site soon. Here are a few favorites
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	9192010-041-mike-alex.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	3917   Click image for larger version

Name:	9192010-043-mhp.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	3918   Click image for larger version

Name:	9192010-044-bob-z.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	3919   Click image for larger version

Name:	91810-007-chris-jimmy.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	3920  

Click image for larger version

Name:	91810-042-viz-above.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	3921   Click image for larger version

Name:	91810-019-stevie-d.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	3922   Click image for larger version

Name:	91810-015-gts-funds.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	3923   Click image for larger version

Name:	91810-014-rob-gts.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	3924  

Old 09-22-2010

Quote:
I took a lot of pics at Mid-O, most have seen them on FB, they will be linked or added to SB site soon. Here are a few favorites
The MHP picture is the best!

I love it.

Actually i love all the pix - thank you!
Old 09-22-2010

I wanna know how to get one of those "Keith Watts - Piit Lane Coordinator" shirts???
Old 09-22-2010
Grand Master

GT-Subject is the point man for all things t-shirt related...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
I wanna know how to get one of those "Keith Watts - Piit Lane Coordinator" shirts???
Old 09-22-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
Keith is doing a special limited run of ten of these but with actual bullet holes and powder burns inflicted by KW-PLC himself. These will be auctioned for the Mechanic's Fund at the Summer Series / Mazdaspeed Challenge Banquet in a couple weeks. If you can't make it I'm sure a phone-in bid could be arranged . A once in a lifetime opportunity! Don't miss the bidding on this unique collectible!
______________ ____

Here is an earlier post with shirt graphics and pics

Last edited by cdh; 09-22-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2010
administrationistperson

Photo Re: Mid Ohio

Curious if these links to my facebook Mid-O albums will work for everyone...let me know, public links per FB

Mid-Ohio Sept 2010 I - drive out, Thurs/Fri

Mid-Ohio Sept 2010 II - Saturday

Mid-Ohio Sept 2010 III - Sunday, drive home

Mid-Ohio Sept 2010 IV - some local shots
Old 09-23-2010
Grand Master

I'm the last human not on Facetube yet and no problem linking to your fabulous photos. So many great shots. Wonderful people pics. Thanks so much Doug.

Quote:
Curious if these links to my facebook Mid-O albums will work for everyone...let me know, public links per FB

Mid-Ohio Sept 2010 I - drive out, Thurs/Fri

Mid-Ohio Sept 2010 II - Saturday

Mid-Ohio Sept 2010 III - Sunday, drive home

Mid-Ohio Sept 2010 IV - some local shots
Old 09-23-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
I'm the last human not on Facetube yet and no problem linking to your fabulous photos. So many great shots. Wonderful people pics. Thanks so much Doug.
LOL facetube!!!

Thanks DD, this is good to know, I set album privacy to friends of friends, and that is essentially the world Actually FB provides public links for all pics, just never used them before. SO, this is a simple way around the photo uploading probs here, at least until we (Sy) can improve it
Old 09-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
I'm the last human not on Facetube yet
You and me both.
Old 09-23-2010
Pitlane Sasquatch

Stand by for crushing word count Evil Homer report from Mid-Ohio...

It was good to be back at Mid-Ohio after a prolonged absence. I had a pleasant 8-hour cruise over on Tuesday from Rancho-Relaxo in the Uberwagen on its maiden voyage after the Custom by Corey body shop visit…

WEDNESDAY

Wed. lapping had one group of Formula and one group of MX-5 drivers with Dancin’ Don leading as we renewed friendships with a very accommodating Mid-Ohio staff.

Newly christened Team Leader Keith Neer had a minor ‘Deer in the Headlights’ situation dealing with the logistical nightmare that is this flying circus.

Bill Henderson and Ray Wojick were still burning diesel getting the last couple of transporters in place. After much investigation it was determined that the Helmets, Suits, Whiteboard, Chairs etc were on the LAST two trucks somewhere between Road Atlanta and Mid-Ohio…

No biggie, we did what we do best.

Adapt and overcome.

Mid-Ohio graciously loaned us chairs and suits. We raided the test driver’s lockers for a couple of helmets and we managed to get the session started by 10:00 am. Todd’s helmet has NEVER been passed that often!

Everyone couldn’t wait to drive. Phil Lombardi fresh from his F-2000 visit led the charge, hotly pursued by Jonaton Jorge ,Grant Mayhem and some unsuspecting customers thrown in the mix…

Ashley worked her way up through this pack before Jonaton turned her around at the crest of turn #8 when he lifted her rear wheels of the ground with his front wing and cowcatcher.

Don did an outstanding job of working with Mid-Ohio to get our day in by 1:40. Mid-Ohio taking their daily one hour lunch break from 1:40-2:40.

Those of us confined to working the lapping day got our chance to drive after lunch.

I got out in an MX-5 purely to gain empirical data to improve the quality of my feedback…I will admit that is was highly therapeutic. Almost as good as Margarita!

Testing and Lead-follow used every second of the 6PM curfew.

THURSDAY

I was steering the ship for Thursday lapping and thankfully we had everything that we needed, because it was going to be a busy day with two groups of Formula drivers and one group of MX-5 drivers with weather coming…

A slick racetrack and plenty of gravel traps kept the safety crew on their toes. The Mid-Ohio safety crew slots in somewhere between RA and WGI on the response efficiency scale.

Poor Sergio Pasian from Quebec managed 7/8ths of a lap on his Maiden Voyage in an MX-5 on a wet Mid-Ohio. Where he promptly tried to knock the flagger out of the finish line start stand. He moved the wall and seriously shortened one MX-5 coming onto the pit straight. Ouch…

We got three sessions in before a Noon lunch hour and three sessions after with the rain coming and going. A number of drivers were conscientious objectors and chose not risk another wet session, saving their time for a hopefully dry practice day. Testing was a washout and we pulled the plug at 4:30 saving the 6:00 extension.

All of the usual suspects started rolling in and our unofficial social director, GT Subject rallied the troops for the evenings entertainment. A great mix of drivers and staff gathering at Buck’s.

FRIDAY

Friday Practice was relatively uneventful with the exception of Greg DiMaggio earning AP status with two crashes. The most alarming crash occurring under a waving yellow.

MHP was enjoying a relaxing afternoon at the turn 12 beach with Lime Rock Racer Chris Brassard. When MHP, who had time to check his e-mails and finish that last chapter on the book he was reading, looked in his mirrors to see Greg arrive on the scene to promptly fling it into the barriers…

We adopted a modified observer rotation with Turn 1, 7/8/9, and Turn 11 observers coming in for extended feedback while the other observers moved ahead eliminating any delay for coaches to get back on station. More coaches would allow for more feedback. The 10 sessions were finished in a timely manner allowing for nearly two hours of make up testing and lead follows until the six o’ clock curfew.

After a comprehensive staff meeting for a little post-planning and pre-planning, we had another huge gathering of racers and staff at K.C.’s Steak House.

The epic Midwest Mafia/Team SFE KC’s debacle of a few years ago will never be topped.

Turbo Tom Brown, Kasey Kuhlman, Jason the teddy bear Weiner, Rick Balsley and Harsha were all missed.

Mark Fee, Mark Martinez and Silent Shawn Smith did their part representing SFE.

Jimmy Craige and his Merry Men Gunther, Tom and Aaron however were the clear cut winners in the Uncle Wally Drive Hard, Party Harder category with admirable displays of excess! Brian Freiberg and David Steinschraber getting dishonorable mentions.

BTW they still don’t have a replacement bell on the door…

SATURDAY

Saturday Qualifying started promptly without any long-winded beg-a-thons during the Drivers meeting. Concise and to the point…

The flying Randall clan made their appearance and promptly opted for the TRIPLE weekend plan, using the first Quali as practice!

MX-5 group One had 13 drivers with Angelo Dinkov earning a well crafted pole position using several different drivers for a tow. The siblings Freiberg worked together with A-Fry P2, B-Fry P3, the ever-improving Bruce Robson P4, Silent Bob aka Lucas Bize P5 and John Dubets P6.

Formula group Two had 19 drivers with Mazdaspeed Development driver Spencer Pigot earning the top spot. Brandon Newey ran with Spencer throughout qualifying for a close P2. Jesus Rios was third quick with Seabass and Tommy Mac rounding out the top five. Silent Shawn Smith spun himself to a last row starting spot…

MX-5 group Three had eleven racers and saw Tyler Wolfson take pole over Captain America Jimmy Craige. Tyler Cooke P3, B-Fry P4, Robson P5.

Formula group Four had twenty drivers and was stacked with talent. We saw the amazing return of Christian ‘SimShark’ Szymczak after taking time off for world domination in online sim racing. Ashley earned pole with Shimshack P2, Tommy Mac P3, Jesus Rios P4, Seabass P5, Newey P6,
Louie Biangardi P7.

MX-5 group Five had ten racers and saw the return of Phil Mather as he battled Jimmy Craige for the top spot…

We went straight into Race ONE before lunch.

Race Group One MX-5.

The drama started before the green flag flew as Angelo Dinkov wreaked some havoc with a Stack & Go. Bruce Robson took ultimate advantage and led into turn 7.

It was a lap before I spotted the “Earnhardt” (tire mark) on the driver’s door on Angelo, black flag for him for contact. Instant Karma as Bruce MacInnes would say… We are looking at three possible suspects for right side evidence.

A-Fry gathers her momentum and proceeds to the front of the line for check out.

Ashley P1, Brian P2 on the road with suspected contact to be confirmed later. John Dubets P3 to become P2 and Lucas Bize moves from P4 to P3 in impound. Bruce Robson P4 and masters winner. David Steinschraber has a spin in turn 8 along with a TTO spin in turn 1 to harm his results.

After Lunch we have to HUSTLE to get four more races in before the 4:30 deadline as the track has an evening motorcycle event. The call for instant launches is made, meaning the coaches are in place for the remainder of the day. No Feedback time available.

Race Group Two

Spencer Pigot elected to start from the rear leaving Newey and Rios in control of the front row. Newey and Seabass take themselves out of the mix early by going off. CDH takes himself out of P8 with an off. Spencer calmly and quietly makes his way to the front.

In the closing laps Greg (AP) DiMaggio gets beached in the gravel trap at turn 7.

Race control covers the incident with a local caution. A stationary yellow at the start stand on the back straight with a waving yellow at turn 7 means the passes need to occur somewhere else.

Spencer plays lapped traffic and the yellows masterfully as both Rios and McGregor run afoul of passing under the yellow. Post race penalties find Trent Mini Me Hindman P2, Jesus Rios P3, Master winner Paul Arnold P4 and New Guy Steven Greene with a solid P5. There is a slight delay after the checker to remove the stuck DiMaggio. We are not amused…

Race Group Three

Bruce Robson and John Snyder get together on the opening lap with Bruce getting turned around. Both pit for contact. Tyler Wolfson jumps out to comfortable lead and easily controls the gap in car #31. B-Fry does all that he can for P2. Tyler Cooke and Jimmy Craige have a battle royale going on for P3-4. Possible contact is called from turn 7 with some fairly clear evidence on Jimmy’s rear bumper. We will check after. The eavesdropping Captain America wisely chooses to pit on the last lap leaving the Cooke clan unhappy to finish P3 on the road but facing a time penalty. Smart guy that Jimmy…Steve Randall (the fast Randall) claims P3. Craige P4, Cooke P5.

Race Group Four

Drama erupts early on lap one as Tommy Mac running P3 loses drive (Red Key?) leaving the Carousel, gets tagged and scatters the field in his wake.
Todd Snyder who provided the calmest presence we have seen in race control in recent memory calls for an instant full course caution. Passing under yellow ensues entering turn 7. Smart young Louie B pits for his contact check as the caution flies. He has fulfilled his obligations as the pace car picks up the field.

Rafe Baskin is done on the spot as car #86 out with damage. Pace car stops on the back straight to square the running order to correct the passes under yellow.

On the restart it quickly turns into a duel between Slimsack and Ashley as Newey and Seabass are called in to serve their contact checks. Shimshack gets called for a blackstick for over the line defense and ultimately gets penalized for blocking.

Ashley P1, Franco Aragonads P2, Shimshack P3, Rios P4, Biangardi P5, Daly P6.

Race Group Five

Jimmy Craige and Phil Mather swap the lead and Jimmy pulls enough of a gap to come home P1. Mather P2. John Snyder was closing in P3 until the engine of car #22 expires in dramatic fashion. The suspected victim of some mechanical over-revs by his partner Rod Randall earlier. Radar clocked Johns helmet at 93mph on the equipment toss and the drivers door is now concave… Ward Herst collects P3. DiLeo P4, Steve Randall P5.

We JUST squeak it in by 4:31:59. Head back to the tent to try to conjure up four groups of feedback from my copious notes as my brain has officially turned to mush.

Paul Subject had graciously iced down the Patron as I was trapped out on corner all afternoon. After feedback we soon relocated over to the Yellow pavilion at turns 7/8/9 for the Mechanics Fundraiser.

What followed is one of things that make SBRS special and unique within the racing community. The fellowship and camaraderie was outstanding. Plenty of industrial strength Margaritas flowed as we watched the Donorcycles do their thing. A very pleasant way to wind down a long day for an excellent cause…

It was also great to catch up with Brett Roubinek who now works for the Mid-Ohio school. Brett is looking very stylish and prosperous with flowing locks that John Dean would be proud of, a trophy wife driving a new Audi A8L and two darling toddlers. Way to go Brett!

Afterward yet another large gathering of racers took over the Mexican restaurant for more stories over dinner.

SUNDAY

Sunday morning and we have rain. Oh Boy!

Todd wisely called for rain line track orientation before the drivers meeting and trophy presentations.

Race Group One Race Two

WET.

The action started promptly on the warm up laps. None more telling than Angelo who harmlessly spun under the Honda bridge. When he tried to rejoin on a 1% grade on the sealer it was all wheelspin all the time. He had to get out and lock in the hubs to be able to climb the hill.

At the start it was full on sibling rivalry between the Freibergs. A-Fry and B-Fry swapping the lead several times until Ashley’s smooth style allowed her to draw away. Meanwhile they are just spanking the field and threatening to lap all but the podium. Brian spins out of second, pits for a four off check and rejoins in….you guessed it P2. Angelo goes into cruise and collect mode for P3. David ‘Maytag’ Steinschraber was stuck on the spin cycle with 4 & _ separate miscues…

Race Group Two Race Two

Damp/ Drying

Changing conditions placed a premium on the driver’s ability to read the surface.

This time Spencer Pigot chose to start from his hard fought P1.

New guy Steven Greene elected to start from the back.

Paul Arnold showed a whole new crowd what a class act he is.

While Newey spun off and Seabass had car contact as well as car issues, Rios and Pigot had the daggers out.

Rios eventually having Spencer off in the closing laps. Rios clearly has the speed but needs to think more…

This left Paul Arnold and Trent Hindman to settle it amongst themselves.

All the racecraft lessons that Billy Bob Z . showed to Louis Dibrell got passed along to yet another generation as young Trent got schooled by a master. Paul put on a textbook clinic on the last lap of clean firm defense.

Arnold P1, HindmanP2, Jesus P3, Pigot P4 and Dr. Mike P5!

Brandon Newey was clearly the fastest driver on the track on his way back up to P6. Brandon was spectacular to watch in tricky conditions…

DiMaggio keeps it on! One in a row.

Race Group Three Race Two

Drying

Brian Freiberg caught a break when Wolfson slid off at turn 11 on lap one and was able to pull out a commanding lead over the battling Cooke,Craige,Snyder contingent.

Meanwhile Wolfson pits on the opening lap and proceeds to rocket back to P2 with a new track record along the way!

Car#31 is my first pick for the memorial. Just sayin…

Freiberg P1, Wolfson P2, Cooke P3, Snyder P4, Steve Randall P5.

Race Group Four Race Two

Basically dry

Ashley makes an uncharacteristic mistake and goes Four off in turn one. The luckless Rafe Baskin has contact with the inspiring Michael Johnson in the hand control car. Pit stops all around. Simshark leads as Rios tosses it off again and doesn’t pit for his four off. Newey grabs P2, Louie P3 and Dr. MikeP4!

Race Group Five Race Two

Phil Mather wastes no time making a break for it as DiLeo and Ward Herst go at it for P2-3. Di Leo has a couple of bobbles and slides back to P4. Snyder makes good use of car #31 and bombs up from last to P2, Ward P3. Jimmy Craige P5.

The day finished with the ‘when pigs fly’ aka Pork in the Sky memorial (another bet I would’ve lost). It was a very cool concept with an MX-5 stint followed by a Formula stint. The fly in the ointment was the inversion and the TV time limit.

David Steinschraber started on pole and was quickly overhauled by Brian Freiberg. The bad boys club with the latin fury of Jonaton, the obstinate Duke Sanford and tester Stuff one Bi-Stricky provided plenty of entertainment as they battled their way up through the field.

Black sticks were displayed…

Stefan was the only one playing clean as the Wolverine had his elbows out and NOBODY was getting by without a fight!

CDL extraordinaire Ray Wojick was double clutching the upshifts and getting great fuel mileage as he ended up two laps down…

The inverted Formula field saw Dom Rotondo out first with an insurmountable lead (thanks Ray). Matt Varsha providing some hilarious in-car commentary as Tom Sawyer. Time ran out as Szymczak was flying in P2, Michael Johnson P3 and the Viz in P4.

Afterwards no one wanted to leave…I helped the boys tear down for a bit before meeting GT-Subject and the suitably twisted CDH for one last gathering @ KC’s. Lot’s of laughs.

David Steinschraber,who was dining with the Dubets’, hung out for nightcaps. I got the inside scoop on the intense MX-5 war shaping up between the Dinkov and Wolfson camps …

Lime Rock should be a barn-burner! I’m looking forward to the on track action and the banquet frivolity with the creative mastery of CDH.

I fully intend to party like a Rockstar. So, beware!

We have to enjoy every opportunity we can to share this madness with all of our cherished dysfunctional family members.

See Ya’
Evil Homer

Attached Files
File Type: doc Mid-Ohio.doc (73.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by cdh; 09-23-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2010
administrationistperson

Thanks for the in-depth and amusing CWC report Stevie!
BTW - I linked your report/post to my FB wall, see if this brings in any traffic...

Last edited by cdh; 09-23-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2010
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer View Post
...In the Formula masters there was plenty of good fun and gamesmanship showing up in the battles for the points race. Not sure how it will all come out bit the race results will speak for themselves when published. We had big fields in Formula with 20 cars in each race. Loads of fun for all. There were battles at almost every level.
This is a track that takes every ounce of technique, brain trust, and speed to do well. Every corner will spoil it for you if you do it wrong. It is probably the most technical track we run.
Chris, I watched your Race 2 incar video from Sunday and you had a great drive. Lots of action, great racing....your driving was on the line and smooth, well done
Old 09-24-2010
Grand Master

Stevie
Awesome!!

Thanks for stepping up with the details and thanks for bringing out your impressive mixology skills at turn 8.

Evil Homer gets it done in all kinds of ways! Bravo.

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDe View Post
Stand by for crushing word count Evil Homer report from Mid-Ohio...

It was good to be back at Mid-Ohio after a prolonged absence. I had a pleasant 8-hour cruise over on Tuesday from Rancho-Relaxo in the Uberwagen on its maiden voyage after the Custom by Corey body shop visit…

Lime Rock should be a barn-burner! I’m looking forward to the on track action and the banquet frivolity with the creative mastery of CDH.

I fully intend to party like a Rockstar. So, beware!

We have to enjoy every opportunity we can to share this madness with all of our cherished dysfunctional family members.

See Ya’
Evil Homer

Old 09-24-2010

Re: Mid-Ohio

Wow. Excellent memory Stevie-De!!!

Some say... that all that is remembered about the weekend was arriving late to the area Thursday night and holing up one night in a flea-bag "villa" and retuning to the airport on Sunday after a 95 mph drive from Mid-O and a short police car stop...

All we know is that somewhere in between, as best we can recall, we had...

a bunch of races
3 trips to Buck's (we only thought we went there twice. Alas the credit card receipts don't lie. Who knew we went their twice on Fri??)
One trip to KC's which took us 45 minutes to get to from one mile away. Honestly can't figure that one out...
a meal which consisted of chewing tobacco, cigars, wings, and Jameson. It counts. Just sayin...
One go-kart race. Aaron won. Now THAT was a surprise.
several really upset neighbors at the Comfort Inn
a pile of coffee grounds in rental car to remove cigar smells (see #4)
1980's hair band radio station + 3 air guitars + one air drum + 4 idiots = rental car nirvana
One get out of jail free card that came in mighty handy...

All in. I think this was a success!
Old 09-25-2010

Cdh... Thank you for the accolades. What a great weekend at a great track. I felt as though i drove hard and consistent but alas lots of competition to keep us humble!

Stevie "fozzi bear" De...great light hearted commentary. We need more of your creative writing skills!

Capt. Craige....this is Hertz Rental calling....what is that green residue all over our leather? Someone left serious brain cells in the trunk! Too funny
Old 10-05-2010
administrationistperson

For some reason this Mid-O album was password protected when created, not sure why that happened....need a check here, can everyone see this album now? Thanks

Mid-Ohio CDH Pics
Old 10-05-2010
G-force junkie

Quote:
For some reason this Mid-O album was password protected when created, not sure why that happened....need a check here, can everyone see this album now? Thanks

Mid-Ohio CDH Pics
Great pics!!!!
Old 10-05-2010
administrationistperson

Thanks H, and thanks for checking

hehehe.....

Tags
2010 , mid-ohio , rb stiewing , regionals