Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 03-10-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: Josh Rehm killed in traffic accident

I was incredibly sad to wake up on Monday and receive this news. It's hard to believe Josh is really gone. He was always so full of life, humour, enjoyment, and love. Even if you didn't know him, it was obvious that he was very special -- from his feedback, driving, work and social interactions.

I first met Josh three years ago when we were both working Skippy schools/events at Lime Rock. While I never had the opportunity to be on the receiving end of his feedback or instruction (since I'm not a driver), I could still tell how much what he said meant to the students he was working with. And of course he always delivered his advice in that typical Josh manner: quirky, witty, and a bit sarcastic but always with an undertone of sincerity and kindness -- and a smirk. I think that's what endeared people to him most, even if they'd just met him.

My fondest memories of Josh don't really revolve around the subject of racing, though. Being one of (if not the) youngest instructors in the Skippy family -- and certainly in the Eastern Series/at Lime Rock -- Josh and I were only a few years apart in age. We'd talk about college life, majors, classes we'd taken, the differences (and definite similarities) between our Universities, costume parties, the difficulties of long-distance relationships, the job search, etc. Some of my favourite memories of Josh revolve around costumes and costume parties. He knew that a frat at my Uni had an 80s costume party every year, and he'd want all the details and would then tell me about his latest costume adventure -- especially the 80s-themed Detroit Coffee promo. And I'm sure several people remember when Josh showed up at the end of one of the LRP race-weekend cocktail parties and then proceeded to join us at Dean's (after a full costume change) with one of his friends dressed like the Beastie Boys were in the "Sabotage" video -- down to the fake mustache.

The last time I saw Josh was at this past October's Eastern Series finale weekend. Phil, Josh, Stephan, Donna, and I happened to all be having dinner up at the bar at The Boathouse on Friday night, and we were there for hours just chatting and telling stories. The next day, I got to go to corner with Josh (the left-hander), and that was entertainment in itself. We were just waiting for someone to fly into the lake. Instead, he had to "run" to get a front wing that had slid off someone's car. In typical Josh fashion, he sauntered out onto the track (with the flaggers looking on), retrieved the wing, then hopped the wall as cars started coming around turn 2. Of course, that was also the day of the live commentary feed during the memorial. We all tried to get him to stay for the banquet, but he was determined to drive straight through to GA to (as Nick said) see about a girl. He never was one to shy away from a road trip.

Josh was truly an amazing guy, and as so many have already said, the world lost a great racer (and skier, snowboarder, surfer, coffee entrepreneur, philosopher, costume master, road trip king, son, friend) and an even greater person. I'll miss you, Josh. But every time I listen to my 80s mix or see a pair of bright orange Converse hi-tops, a madras jacket, or white leather loafers I'll think of you and smile because I was fortunate enough to be able to call you a friend.
Old 03-10-2006
Tire Pariahrometer
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Thanks Doug. That was very fitting.
Old 03-11-2006
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

I got the call from Kevin Scott yesterday and I've been in a tailspin ever since. I can't begin to describe how deeply saddened I am at the tragic loss of such a wonderful person. I shall miss him greatly.

Jon Purdy
Old 03-11-2006
fast man
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

I feel a lot of pain reading this.

They say you should "build your reputation and go to sleep". Well, Josh certainly didnīt need too much time to build an army of people that where interested in getting close to him. He always had a positive vibe, was good company and a good friend.

He will be remembered always.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO-HOO' What a ride!
Old 03-19-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

An update from Nick Longhi:
The Rehm family has decided that the most fitting tribute to Josh's
life would be a yearly, revolving scholarship, awarded to a student
attending Plymouth North High School.

To those of us who knew him, Josh was never a one-dimensional person.
For this reason, the award will revolve between traditional subjects
such as math and science, history and art, but will also consider the
"trades" (such as mechanics) that are often overlooked in these types
of awards.

A panel of Josh's friends and family will be appointed to review
candidates and determine awards. To participate, please make checks
payable to:

The Joshua Frascella Rehm Scholarship Fund
1 Stuart Avenue
Plymouth, MA 02360

Thank you all for the overwhelming response to the tragedy of Josh's
death. Giving other young people the opportunity to live up to their
potential through this fund would be, we believe, exactly what Josh
would have liked to see.
Old 03-22-2006

REVISED

3/15/06
Wed.
0227 hrs.

I think of Josh as a comet burning a bright blazing path through the night sky. People looking skyward in amazement and awe, and then the comet is gone and the sky is dark once again.

A brief, beautiful moment that people will remember for the rest of their days. And those that observed the comet will tell their friends about the event and the friends will be sad because of what they missed

Love you always son,
Doug (Andrew)

Last edited by Andrew Rehm; 03-22-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2006
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Speed-tv had a nice tribute to Josh during the Rolex at Homestead broadcast......

video - 46 sec

Old 03-27-2006
administrationistperson

AutoWeek story from 03/27 issue.

Old 03-28-2006
Georgia Mike

I met Josh in 1997 when I picked up, sold everything and went to fulfill my dream of working in racing at SBRS. He was an instructor in my 3 day, which was my first day at "work". He was young and cocky, but had a way about him that I am obviously not the only one who noticed. He gave me hell, but we connected because I had a 914 and he loved his. We went for a ride in mine before I left CT to come back to GA, and I remember him saying "I wish mine pulled like that". I saw him a couple of times after that, rooted for him when I saw he was racing, and I looked for him in Daytona this year, but I was not able to find him in the pits. I missed my opportunity to say hello, and goodbye. After reading this thread, I see he became a man, continued to be a great character, and a friend to many. I am glad I can say he was one of mine, and he will not be forgotten. I am sure he is flat out in fifth, or upsidedown and on fire, racing to cross the finish line at the pearly gates. RIP Josh.

Michael
Old 04-16-2006
administrationistperson

Videos Re: Josh Rehm killed in traffic accident

another video clip - this from the Star Mazda Sebring opener....

video - 45 sec.

Bookmark This Thread