Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Site Announcements, Support & Help > Site Announcements & Support

Old 06-01-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Lot's of new members...

It seems a lot of new folks have signed up over the past week or two. If you are one of them, welcome aboard.

I'm curious.... how did you find the site? Are you involved with Skip Barber?

I would find it interesting if there was a 'how I heard about TJR' field on the profile page... anyone else curious, or is it just me?
Old 06-01-2006
Thumb-alina

Re: Lot's of new members...

ok, so I'm also curious why Ashlee from Ohio signed up twice in the last day. Asha and Lash31. Hmmm.... inquiring mind(s) want to know.
Old 06-01-2006
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
It seems a lot of new folks have signed up over the past week or two. If you are one of them, welcome aboard.
That's because we've (for now) restricted all content to registered users only. Unregistered users (and also 'users awaiting email confirmation') can see subject lines, but not what's inside. They also can't download anything from the forums or the download/links system.

Quote:
I'm curious.... how did you find the site? Are you involved with Skip Barber?

I would find it interesting if there was a 'how I heard about TJR' field on the profile page... anyone else curious, or is it just me?
That's a good idea, and I've already put it in. It's a required entry field in the registration process.

Quote:
ok, so I'm also curious why Ashlee from Ohio signed up twice in the last day. Asha and Lash31. Hmmm.... inquiring mind(s) want to know.
Some people don't use their real email address when they register, and then they find out they can't access the site because they haven't been able to activate their registration (by clicking on the email we send them). So they re-register under a new username. We periodically go in and purge those users who haven't validated.

Still, I'm thinking of starting an 'Introduction' thread where all new users need to tell us about them. What do you think?

Last edited by sydude; 06-01-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2006
Thumb-alina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
Still, I'm thinking of starting an 'Introduction' thread where all new users need to tell us about them. What do you think?
thanks for the reply!

I personally think it is a great idea. I always look up the profile when someone new joins and I'm disappointed if they haven't shared much... especially their real name. I'm often curious what led people to find us... it should help when deciding what types of content to include to keep the site vibrant and growing.

I wouldn't make it mandatory, though. That could keep some people out, and could prove awkward at times. If you recall, a lot of people signed up after Josh's accident.
Old 06-01-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Michael, I was under the very strong impression that only Sid could incorrectly use an apostrophe on this site. If you are going to try and pass off "lot's" as some sort of plural form of "lot", then maybe you should enroll in Sid's' Instant Punctuation's Mastery Course's, which are available on Tuesday's and Wednesday's in most area's if you don''''t mind driving lot's's's's of mile's.
Old 06-02-2006
Thumb-alina

Dang! You got me... errrr... I hate when that happens.

When I read your post, I re-read all of mine in this thread and didn't find the errant 'lot's'... I was about to blast you back. Alas, I found it. In the headline no less!!

What a goofball. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!
Old 06-02-2006
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

you mean on your toe's?

's
Old 06-21-2006
Thumb-alina

Quote:
That's because we've (for now) restricted all content to registered users only. Unregistered users (and also 'users awaiting email confirmation') can see subject lines, but not what's inside. They also can't download anything from the forums or the download/links system.
Then who are 'guests'? Are they robots? Or unregistered users looking at headlines? I imagine a combination of both, but it seems like a lot of activity.

While I'm asking dumb questions... The site usually recognizes when I 'last visited' pretty accurately, but sometimes it seems to miss a visit. Any ideas as to why? TJR - Forums is my Homepage, so I am logged in every time I open Explorer... it isn't like I am accessing it thru different channels.
Old 06-21-2006
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
Then who are 'guests'? Are they robots? Or unregistered users looking at headlines? I imagine a combination of both, but it seems like a lot of activity.

While I'm asking dumb questions... The site usually recognizes when I 'last visited' pretty accurately, but sometimes it seems to miss a visit. Any ideas as to why? TJR - Forums is my Homepage, so I am logged in every time I open Explorer... it isn't like I am accessing it thru different channels.
Yes, they are both bots and real guests. I've been turning the restriction to guests on and off for testing purposes, but still even if the restriction is on and someone is trying to find a link they will appear as a guest.

In regards to your second question, I have no idea. Maybe your browser is pulling up a cached version and so a request doesn't actually hit the server. Now aren't you sorry you asked?
Old 06-21-2006
Thumb-alina

Quote:
Maybe your browser is pulling up a cached version and so a request doesn't actually hit the server.
Oh, sure, a 'cached version', right, got it, why didn't I think of that?! Is that like a 'big giant LA-SER'?

Bookmark This Thread