Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 04-18-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Rob Slonaker changes jobs...

Most of us know Rob Slonaker as the low key reliable pit lane coordinator extraordinaire who has kept his eagle eyes on the instructor training and race event organizational prize for Skip Barber the past few years. He did this so we could all jump into RT2000's at a moments notice and get regular reliable professional feeback while doing our best impersonations of semi-skilled race drivers.

Well, things are about to change... For the better

The bad news for Skip Barber is that Rob has relinquished his full time roll as Head of East Coast Instructors and the long list of thankless tasks that went with that title. The good news is that Rob will continue to work at many Skip Barber events as a driving instructor while also making himself available for lead-follow sessions and other private coaching. It would be an understatement to say that Rob is an untapped well of race-craft resources.

He is sneaky smart, knows the fast way around every track Skip Barber visits and is really looking forward to returning to the part of his job that he's always had a passion for. Driving cars at the limit and teaching others how to do the same.

Did you know Rob's tenure at Skip Barber spans 17 years! (1 1/2 as a mechanic and 15 1/2 as an instructor.) That he was a race series winner in the pre-RT2000 Formula Ford days and that the student whose developing progress he enjoyed witnessing most during his teaching tenure (so far) has been that of young Juan Pablo Montoya himself!

We first thought Rob's inner racing child was trying to make a break for it back around Halloween and now we know he just couldn't wait any longer to spend more time behind the wheel sharing the fun of racing more directly. Don't let the finely crafted Jack-O-Lantern deter you. You'd do well to give him a call early as his coaching dance card will fill up fast!

As the new Headless Horseman Rob will have a little more time to reveal where both the apexes and some of those old Skippy bodies are buried! Wecome back to the fun side Mr. Slonaker.
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	110105a.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1113   Click image for larger version

Name:	110105g.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1114   Click image for larger version

Name:	110105i.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1115   Click image for larger version

Name:	110105e.jpg
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1116  

Click image for larger version

Name:	110105k.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1117   Click image for larger version

Name:	110105l.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1118   Click image for larger version

Name:	LrpRob10'05.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1119  

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-20-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2006
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Rob in other roles will be a revelation. Daly duo commented on his low key, quiet demeanor. Lead-follow will be instructive and fun but I bet most will be watching Rob from behind during memorials.

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-18-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Re: Rob Slonaker changes jobs...

i can assure everybody that doing a lead-follow with Rob is extremely helpful even if i didn't use a radio to communicate with him. i did the session at mid-ohio and it brought me right up to speed and more. i ran both sportsman groups. i qualified pole and 3rd. i should have won all the races that weekend, but contact rules and me and other drivers doing stupid stuff meant i won 2 but took home only 1 trophy.

anyway, ignoring my rant, i'm sure rob will do a very good job and i'll certainly miss how smooth the pre-race activities and gridding were. i do have to say thanks to him for not wearing a giant bunny suit on easter and drive an rt.

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-18-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2006
Burger Flipper #2
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 4

Pat, John & Ari,
Thanks for the endorsments, always good to know you are appreciated in your efforts. The good news is I will still be doing most of the pit-lane duties for the Eastern Series. Just trying to branch out a bit and being a full time employee it wasn't fair to SBRS or myself to not give 100%. This way I can still participate at 100%, but on a day by day basis instead of 24/7.
Looking forward to seeing everyone at VIR.
Cheers,
Rob
Old 04-23-2006
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Hey Rob,

That does not appear to be an SBRS issued rain hat!

You Rebel. . .
SD
Old 04-24-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Thanks for the clarification Rob, love the slip angle in that avatar shot.

The good news is we will now have the opportunity to benefit as much from your track mastery as your pit lane mastery.

Stevie D.
Technically, Rob's wearing unnofficial SBRS rain protecting head gear in all the photo's.

Bookmark This Thread