Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 12-15-2007
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Angry Why the SPAM?

When I checked my email tonight I noticed an email from "Nat Mundy" of GPNY. While I appreciate being sent Happy Holidays from GPNY, this was a mass mailing and advertisement. This was odd, as I never gave them my email address. I have now used their unsubscribe link to remove myself from their list. Normally this would be the end of it.

However, my wife mentioned receiving the same email. Now we all know that GPNY is advertised on this site, and it appears that several members are employees, the only way I could see them getting both my and my wife's would be if our email addresses were taken from TJR. I find it highly unprofessional that we, and presumably all members of TJR were sent this advertisement unsolicited.

I am sure that anyone who frequents this board and wants more information knows to goto GPNY's website. Giving all of the TJR members info to GPNY makes me wonder whom else our information is given to. Is GPNY the first time our information has been given out? I know my wife only gives our her real email to certain people and TJR is the only website with her real email address. Now that GPNY has it, how do we know they wont give our emails out to one of their sponsors, or corporate clients.

This is easy to just brush off, its just one more piece of spam. However, having a site I trusted and administrators that I personally know give out this info seems wrong to me. Do I have to change my email to a fake address like all the other sites I register on, or can I leave it set to my real email so I can continue to receive emails when I have a PM or a reply to a thread I like? Please tell me this is a mistake and GPNY got our addresses from a different source, or this board inadvertently merged data. But this certainly looks intentional from our viewpoint.

Regards,
Stirling
Old 12-15-2007
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: Why the SPAM?

Stirling,

Over 5 years ago, a few very good racing friends started TJR to help share our common passion for racing, and it quickly grew into a great little community. Myself and a handful of our friends over these years have spent COUNTLESS obsessive hours poring over the creation, nurturing and tweaking of this site, with no return other than to take pleasure and satisfaction in the continuation of our community.

All of this work, however has had its price. Beyond the immeasurable loss of potential personal income that this obsession has cost us, I personally have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars each year in site hosting fees and software licenses, and I've never asked for or received a single penny from any of the people who use and enjoy this site.

And lest any of you think otherwise, SBRS has not provided one cent of support for this site. Ever. In fact, their management has incomprehensibly done almost anything it can to kill this site.

Grand Prix New York is a company that I developed and currently manage, and it was my decision to share TJR member email addresses with it. Without GPNY (or unless Skip Barber suddenly decides to support us, financially or otherwise - don't hold your breath) I can tell you that this site will soon be history.

Finally, your addresses were not and will not be given or sold to anyone else. So if you hit unsubscribe, you will not receive any more communications from GPNY, or anyone other than TJR. I apologize for any inconvenience the email may have caused you.

Sy
Old 12-15-2007
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Let me add that we've put too much into this site to let it deteriorate, tied into the slow death SBRS is currently headed towards.
Old 12-16-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

I was about to get just as outraged, in my case about how I did NOT get a GPNY piece of spam mail! I mean, if even the spammers are leaving me off their holiday mailing lists, how much more unpopular can you get?

I do, however, remember that I just checked the GPNY site a couple days ago, but can't remember through the fogs of time and what with the pink elephants getting in the way, whether my online visit was prompted by an email or whether it was just my endless impatience to check on how my future favorite racing site is coming along. So either a) how dare you, Sy, leave me off your spam list, or b) my deepest apologies, Sy, forgot I'd been spammed, seemed so much like family that I guess I didn't even recognize the message as spam if I indeed got the mailing.

btw, is there a Monaco course along with the New York course???

I hope so, I was a big enthusiast of the Monaco track idea. It may save a life, if I don't get to drive it at GPNY, I may have to visit Monte Carlo and drive the real course in a rental car ...
Old 12-17-2007

Western Re: Why the SPAM?

I got the "SPAM", if that is the chosen term... but I am not offended in the least by the email.
Unlike other emails that I delete and do not bother to read. This one has a subject I am at least interested in ...being a stud, attract girls, make a million in my spare time, etc...I just delete right away... not a chance of me being a stud, attacting ladies, and I have no spare time.
I know that TeamJuicyRacing has a close tie with GPNY and have been following the progress of the venue.... I decided not to apply for the Marshall position because it not include making cuban coffee as one of the tasks.
I forwarded the "Spam" to a friend of mine in NYC to give him information on the venue since he had expressed a desire to take his son to a karting track. Knowing Sy is involved in GPNY, I have no doubt that it will be first class.
So my response is "Keep spamming me" or to state another way "Keep me posted on GPNY".

Ken Hughes
AKA Redneck
Old 12-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
So my response is "Keep spamming me" or to state another way "Keep me posted on GPNY".

Ken Hughes
AKA Redneck

Yes! You can En@large your manhood at GPNY!

Bookmark This Thread