Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 08-03-2010
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

2 Day Adv vs Car Control

I've done numerous track days as well as a SB Intro to Racing (Formula) and 3 Day Racing (MX-5).

I'm wondering about doing Adv Car Control next instead of the 2 Day Adv. Seems the former would continue more work on car fundamentals, while the latter would be better if I was intent on racing soon, and that's not going to happen till at least next year.

Any thoughts about which is better and more fun? Maybe from someone who's done both?

Rob
Old 08-03-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
Re: 2 Day Adv vs Car Control

Just my opinion, (you pros feel free to chime in) but I'd do the car control. I've never done it, but I have done the 2DA twice and I can definitely see the benefit of a higher level of skills available at that level. It covers a set of skills that are not taught at the 2-day (just no time to do it all). I think you will find that the two-day crowd to be a much keener bunch than your 3-day compadres.
Old 08-03-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

No question in my mind: Car control. When I was coming up the Skippy ranks, I was stuck at this below mid pack level for ever. Terry Earwood kept telling me I needed more car control training. I didn't believe him because I was comfortable in the wet-- when it rained, I suddenly moved up in pace compared to other drivers. What I didn't realize was that at the slower wet speeds, I was able to stay ahead of the car, but not at the much higher speeds in the dry, where the communication with car while it is sliding needs to be nearly instinctive so you can be comfortable and smooth at the ragged edge. I finally decided to listen to Terry and it made a dramatic difference in my progress. I think the biggest difference between drivers that qualify at the front in Skippy Regional races and midpack drivers is car control. My opinion. And it will help you in any car you drive.

ADV2 is a ton of seat time, and more fun, since you are practicing racing tactics (passing, starts) and running on the track. But if you are serious about your driving in the long run, I think the car control is more important at this stage. On top of that it is a tremendous value. If you ask nice, they might knock off 10-20% just to get you in the class.
Old 08-04-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I recommend both. The two day will give you more seat time on track than the car control clinic. This is very important. I did two car control clinics in my second and third season after making plenty of mistakes. There is no replacement for seat time and the control clinics will be more effective for you once you have a bit more seat time. My two cents.

Tags
adv2 , car control clinic

Bookmark This Thread