Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 08-23-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Western Blip: Summer Supplement

Hey Everyone. Here's some info for the Western series drivers et. al. but we hope all of you will sign up at the two great new tracks we will be running at this year. Should be a great season. See you Midwesterners at Rd Amer in a few. Tom

Western Blip:
Summer Supplement

It's 75 degrees in Seattle and it hasn’t rained for 2 months. The true locals are getting pretty testy and have taken to sitting in the cold shower with their Gortex on to ease the tension. Anyway, I digress. I hope this newsletter finds you all well rested and ready for some serious racing action because it’s not far off.

But a moment to explain to those of you who have never received this newsletter, what is this thing you are reading. Several years ago it became clear to many of us that the Skip Barber West Coast Series (WCS) was struggling to fill the grid while the other series were full of both drivers and camaraderie. This newsletter was started in an attempt to change that. So in a nutshell, the intent of this electronic rag is to enhance the Skip Barber West Coast Series for the benefit of everyone involved including the drivers, their spouses, friends and families, the instructors and mechanics and last but not least the Skip Barber Company, ‘cause if they ain’t thriving, some of us ain’t driving. No one involved with this newsletter receives any financial kickback from Skippy (believe me, I’ve tried, they won’t give me a cent, damn. Just kidding, you guys take things so seriously), it is completely independent. Anyone can write an article with the stipulation that its purpose is to improve the Series for everyone. So welcome to the growing family of friends known as the Skip Barber West Coast Series. We are seeing a rebirth of the series and are glad you are a part of it. (Okay, quit gagging Al).

So many great things have happened for the Westies in the last few months that I thought it best to share them with Y’all (Learned that from JP). About two months ago I heard that Skippy was planning not one, but 2 races in the East during our series, even after all the bitching in this newletter last year. A lot of you got a request to send in your opinion as to whether or not you thought it was a good idea. Your responses were almost unanimous (save for Mr. Bastien who lives on the East Coast, Sorry Dom) that you wanted the West Coast Series to actually take place on the West Coast. Your responses were forwarded to Todd Snyder, who went to bat for us with the powers that be and pleaded our case. Well folks, the West Coast Series is a true West Coast Series ([FONT=" border="0" alt="" />SeattleSaltLake is close enough). This is a very big deal indeed. Not only does it show the Skippy big wigs listen closely to what we want but also that they are willing to take some serious risks on our behalf. For those of you who haven’t seen the schedule please to check this out:

http://www.skipbarber.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=1658

A few years ago Thunderhill was included on the schedule with less than great results. Two months before the race it was cancelled due to lack of interest, very few had signed up. Granted the Skippy folks may have panicked a bit but from their point of view it cost the same to rent Sebring for 80 as it does for 40 so why not double up with the southern folk. Problem was very few Westies showed up. So a Catch 22 began. Skippy wouldn’t book a track in the West that wasn’t Laguna Seca because they feared no one would come but the Southern races weren’t helping build the West Coast Series. So Skippy is taking a big leap of faith here and have scheduled T-hill once again. So a big thanks to Aaron, George, Todd and everyone else making this decision for taking a chance on us. Now my question to all of you, what are you willing to do to show these guys we aren’t a lot of talk?

So let’s take a look at the tracks we are scheduled to run. A month ago on a vacation to Sun Valley I took a side trip to Tooele, Utah (no one could tell me how to pronounce that, Tooele that is, I figured out Utah), home to MillerMotorsportPark.
(Here’s a link):

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/

It just so happened that a Skippy 3-day course was running (what a coincidence) so I bought myself a few lapping sessions and joined our instructor Kris Wilson and a few Skippy alums (how’s it going Dave) for a few laps. This state of the art facility was built by a very wealthy (almost as rich as Kaiser) SaltLake businessman and consists of a 4.4 mile track that can be reconfigured and broken up four different ways. We were on the Eastern track while an SCCA event was happening on the West track. We found the East side challenging, busy, very technical but not very exciting. We did manage to sneak over to the West side for a few laps between their races. This track is a serious rush. The front straight leads into turn one (imagine that), a medium speed, wide sweeper. Great for three abreast starts. That leads into a series of faster and faster corners interrupted finally by a hairpin and a great passing opportunity. After that the corners vary from decreasing radius to triple apex (here’s a hint, the second apex is a sucker apex, you owe me for that tidbit) and other tough combinations. It was a ball. Unfortunately, it was also booked our race weekend, so we got the East side, a great teaching track but not a great racing track. (A side note, the combined track cost twice as much to rent as either west or east so it’s not going to happen without a very big grid maybe off in the future sometime. It would be amazing though). We reported back to Mr. Snyder who got on the phone and did some arm twisting and I am happy to report, recently got us the West track. Way to go, Todd. I am here to say you guys and girls want to drive here. It is guaranteed to be a classic site. It’s an easy one too. The track is just outside of town and the town is less than 30 minutes from the airport which is almost in the middle of the United States. We found a great brew pub in town with good food and microbrews. Accommodations are pretty basic with the Hampton Inn getting the top vote. If you need upscale there is the airport hotels or a bit more of a drive is SaltLake (about 35 minutes) or even ParkCity, though that’s a good hour away. The track complex includes a small museum, a gift and race gear shop (they had some very cool karts for sale and a shifter track behind the big one). To top it all off there is a restaurant that overlooks the track that has great food and beer, no membership needed. That is the obvious meeting place post racing. So start planning for this one now, you want to drive here, trust me. It’s fast, the new asphalt has huge grip and it’s easy to get to. This newsletter is going to be posted on the Team Juicy Website so everyone in the greater Skip Barber family is invited. By the way, if you haven’t been to this site (Team Juicy that is) go now. It is an amazing resource for everything Skippy and beyond, from racing techniques and track videos to debates on which racing movie is better, Grand Prix or Le Mans (clearly Le Mans, something about racing is life, etc, etc). I also hear there is a big section of pitbabes though I personally haven’t seen it. No really. Here’s the link:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/index.php

Also on that website you can see a new section that includes a photo and bio of our favorite instructors. Of course a few of them have yet to complete their bios as they obviously have better things to do than waste their precious time on a silly thing like that. But who knows, they may get benevolent and let us know just how wonderful they are. It would be very small of me to reveal who hasn’t done it yet but I’m sure if you let Andrew, Bryan, Conrad, Grant, Tommy, Jeff, John, Jonathan, Kris, MHP, Nick (not NickNick), RB and Robbie know that they are missed we may get lucky. Here’s that link:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forums/local_links.php?catid=24

By the way, there were a few new karting hotdogs at the Salt Lake Three Day that I am sure we will be seeing at our races. I tried to convince them to go straight to the Skippy Nationals but I don’t think they bought it. Okay, you new guys, here’s some sound advice. Always brake hard at all of the 4 boards at Laguna. Every corner requires threshold braking. Especially turn 6. Just because it has been opened up doesn’t mean you don’t need to slow down a lot there. You can trust me on this one.

Anyway, MillerMotorsportPark is a must do so block those dates out now.

Thunderhill Raceway --- Some of you know a lot more about this place than I do. This three mile, 15 turn complex is suppose to be amazing. It is about 80 minutes NW of Sacramento, Cal.
Here is the link to Thunderhill:

http://www.thunderhill.com/

I also found a good track video of the place:

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/tracks/video/Thunderhill_30.mov

Now that looks fun!

I’ve been fighting for years to get this track back on the schedule. From what I can see from the track map, the track videos and everything everyone has told me it is a great track, with lots of speed, every combination of corners you could ever want and nothing to hit. Yes, it is true that this place doesn’t have as much to offer in apres racing as Vegas does but did ya come to party or drive? We can find a place to have a good time after driving but I for one think this track looks a whole lot more interesting than that dust bowl in Vegas. So you guys and girls have voiced your opinion that you want a West Coast Series. Now you have one. So it’s time to show Skippy you intend to follow through and include this track in your plans ‘cause if you don’t it’s probably not going to be offered again and our opinions won’t be worth spit. If we can pull this off I will personally buy the first round of drinks at the Saturday night wingding (Let’s see, 40 drivers, spouses and friends, yeah it’s worth fifty bucks to buy enough MD 20/20 for everyone). But seriously, the first round is on me. We need to do this folks.

Finally, Laguna Seca, our homeport. Most of you know by now that it has been repaved and modified to make it safer for those very delicate (and very ballsy) MotoGP riders. Apparently the turn 6 runoff is vast, the pavement is sticky and the bump is still there before the corkscrew. Laguna is Laguna. I don’t care what they do to it I still love driving there and I am sure we won’t have any trouble filling the grid. For a great video of Ricardo Zonta setting a new record at LS in the F1 Toyota check this out:

http://www.toyota.com/montereyhistoric/videos.html

Does seem a bit bumpy but that’s a hot lap.

So it’s late, I need to sleep. I hope this got you as jazzed to drive as I am. I think it will be an incredible year and I truly hope we can step up to the plate and solidify the Series on the West Coast by signing up early and letting the Skippy Dudes know we stand behind our words. As always if you don’t want to get this newsletter let me know and I will delete you. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Later, Tom Roberts
[/FONT]
Old 08-23-2006
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: Western Blip: Summer Supplement

I got this reply to the newsletter from Mikel Miller, Skippy Hotrod instructor and Tim Traver's codriver in Grand Am. He's driven a lot of tracks. The more I hear about Thunderhill the more I want to drive there:

Hope you've had a great summer! And just so you know,
T-hill is one of the best tracks I've ever been on..
16 of the best corners you will EVER find, and the
dummest corner (cyclone) you will ever find.

T-Hill= GREAT track. VERY fun to drive.

MM
Old 08-23-2006
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Great report Tom...

I also want to bang the drum of support for you guys having a full West Coast schedule and encourage those who have only explored Laguna to challenge themselves at Thunder Hill and the other tracks they haven't tried yet. Nothing builds confidence, craft and camaraderie like learning a new track together.

Besides... You really do want to learn the nuance of your home tracks before the East Coast, Southern and Mid West guys turn up and show you the really fast ways around them.
Old 08-24-2006
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBobN20
.....If we can pull this off I will personally buy the first round of drinks at the Saturday night wingding (Let’s see, 40 drivers, spouses and friends, yeah it’s worth fifty bucks to buy enough MD 20/20 for everyone).
Mad Dog, Bum Wine at it's finest

Bookmark This Thread