Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2006
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Honda give Andretti first F1 test

Honda give Andretti first F1 test from BBC News

Andretti gets his first taste of F1 testing for Honda in Jerez
Honda have given Marco Andretti the chance to live up to his family name by handing him his first Formula One test drive in Jerez next week.
The 19-year-old American is the son of former McLaren driver Michael and the grandson of 1978 world champion Mario.

Andretti proved his driving credentials by finishing as 'Rookie of the Year' in the 2006 IndyCar series and coming a close second in the Indy 500.

"I am thrilled Honda has offered me this incredible opportunity," he said.

I can only imagine what an awesome experience this is going to be

Marco Andretti

"As you would expect of any racing driver, when Honda offered me the chance to drive, I grabbed it with both hands - no hesitation.

"I can only imagine what an awesome experience this is going to be and I'm just going to take my time and enjoy every moment."

Marco is looking to become the third generation of the Andretti family to plot a career in F1.

Mario Andretti won 12 Grands Prix between 1971-78 after winning the Indy 500 in 1969.

However, his father Michael had a difficult season with McLaren in 1993 and, despite claiming a podium spot, was replaced by Mika Hakkinen before the season was out.

Honda, who signed up Christian Klien and James Rossiter as test drivers for next season, will hope to get more out of Marco when he tests this season's RA106 car in Spain on 15 December.

Bookmark This Thread