Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 04-30-2007
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

What Racing School should I attend?

I'm a college student and I just sold my working car to afford a skip barber course, I don't care, I have public transportation. Now I was thinking of taking the One Day Combo at Limerock Park. I wanted to do this because I thought I had some catching up to do in driving skills before I started in the Open wheel Mazdas. Basically now I'm looking for the most efficient to spend my money and getting my racing license.

I have some questions, does the 3-day racing school grant you a license at the end? Would I get any 'racing experience' in the One Day Combo? Do you suggest learning in a go kart before I take this course? What other racing schools/sessions do you suggest?
Old 04-30-2007
Selfish Bastard
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Re: What Racing School should I attend?

Heart Beat and a Check book and you will get a license. Unless you are really awe full.

Do you have any racing experience? I hope so because you can get hurt in open wheel Mazda’s.
Old 04-30-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno247365
...I'm looking for the most efficient to spend my money and getting my racing license.

I have some questions, does the 3-day racing school grant you a license at the end? Would I get any 'racing experience' in the One Day Combo? Do you suggest learning in a go kart before I take this course? What other racing schools/sessions do you suggest?
First, can we assume that when you say "catching up" you do not mean that you need to learn to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission?

I'd say skip the Combo. If your objective is to race, or find out if you have the talent to race, and you are already proficient with a stick shift, you will need to do the Three Day Racing School at one time or another, so you might as well do it first. They will start at ground-zero to begin to teach you the physical and mental fundamentals. Even if you can't drive a stick, I'd probably start there anyway.

If you aren't sure that you like high speeds and threshold braking maybe the 1/2 day Intro to Racing might be a cheap way to keep you from spending a bunch of money to find out it's not your cup of tea (It happens. Plenty of three-day-old helmets and firesuits on eBay bought by guys with big budgets and bruised egos that only saw one weekend school).

Kart competition experience is very beneficial to learn racecraft and strategy, but formula cars are quite different to drive, particularly if you are not talking about a higher horsepower shifter cart.

Upon graduation from the 3-Day, you will most likely be presented with your very own Skip Barber Racing Competition License. I'd say everyone gets one, but I'm sure there is an exception out there somewhere. The SBRS 3-day is an accredited course, so it will satisfy the entry-level training requirements of many sanctioning bodies. In addition, I believe your 3-Day instructors have to sign off on a SCCA regional application, should you apply for one.

Good luck! Now all you need is steely determination and sacks of cash!
Old 04-30-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

The Intro to Racing is a tease and not worth doing IMHO. Three day Racing School is the way to go, most fun I ever had at any Skippy event and you can go from there to higher Skip schools, Race Series, SCCA, etc.

If you are considering the Spec Miata Series then that school is the obvious choice.

Good luck
Old 04-30-2007
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

I agree with Rosso and CDH. T started with the three day racing school in Dec 2006 at Daytona so that I could get my regional SCCA license (and I did). After several discussions with several different racers, I determined that, while certainly not cheap, Skip Barber's Race Series is cheaper than racing even in a spec racer ford with SCCA.

In order to race in the series, you need a 3-day school and a 2-day advanced school and you're "ready" for your first race weekend. I did my first race weekend in the RT 2000 (the formula dodge car...not truly yet a Mazda in terms of engine) at VIR last weekend. I had a blast. I didn't have to worry about fuel, tire, oil, car maintenence, etc. Skip Barber has awsome mechanics who do all of that for you.

There is a liability, or "CDW" for the car if you wreck, but nowhere near the total value of the car you would have to come up with if you total your own car. And not all of us want to be wrenching when we could be racing!!
The great thing about SBRS is the instruction...experienced racers at almost every corner who give you feedback after every session. They really improve your lap times if you listen and learn.
Overall, I have only great thing to say about my first weekend with SBRS. I spent a fraction of what it would have cost to buy a car and go racing with SCCA. I met so many great people, learned so much and most of all my wife and I had a great time (and I think my 7 month old son had a good time too...or maybe it was just the breast milk that put a smile on his face)

I other racers are all friendly. The staff, mechanics and instructors are all first class. Do a 3-day school and see what it's all about, but be prepared to open up that wallet and start fork'n out the dough cause this sport is super addictive and expensive . Good luck to you.
Old 04-30-2007

Three day school is the way to go for all the reasons cited above and then some. One day intro is a tease and will just make you wish you did the full 3 day school instead of spending another $1K or so that you could have used on one of the two day advanced days you will need to race.

Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2007
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

The three day is the way to go for all reasons already listed. If you follow instructions and have modest ability you will come away with SCCA certification and be 3/5th of the way to certification for participation in SBRS events. It's the basic training everyone should have when learning to drive a race car.

What is hard to properly describe is the supportive teaching environment you are immersed in every step of the way. Every time you are on track from your first excercise to your last race, you receive expert feedback from multiple instructors. The support, learning of race craft and camaraderie is unlike any other school and the opportunity to arrive and drive at world class race tracks all over the country can't be found anywhere else. Whether you take the training and use it in other forms of racing or join the party and race with the Skippy culture, you'll never regret your decision. Oh... And you may find yourself sitting next to the next AJ Almendinger or Marco Andretti as everyone from soon to be professional racers to people who just want to see what its like to sit in a race car all start in the same place.
Old 04-30-2007
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
I'm a college student and I just sold my working car to afford a skip barber course, I don't care, I have public transportation. Now I was thinking of taking the One Day Combo at Limerock Park. I wanted to do this because I thought I had some catching up to do in driving skills before I started in the Open wheel Mazdas. Basically now I'm looking for the most efficient to spend my money and getting my racing license.
I did it the hard way first time out. Bought a car. Got into one of the only two driving schools being held that spring. Learned nothing much from the lead-follows but ran well enough in the novice race to get my novice license. After two months, one engine rebuild and three races, I was good enough to race with the backmarkers.
Your SBRS three-day race school will get you to the same point in three days because you don't have to worry about the equipment and there's a whole bunch of qualified people who, unlike the folks at work, are actually happy when you succeed.
I know I'm biased, but unless you like doing it the hard way, I'm also right. See you at Lime Rock.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 05-01-2007
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 9

In addition to the previous advice, you should fork out the $25.00 or so for the Skipp Barber book "going faster". Read it cover to cover..then again after you complete the school..the more you drive the more sense it will make...
Old 05-01-2007
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Complete agreement there... About half the book will be very helpful going into your training and the other half will become even more meaningful the more you race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojoe
In addition to the previous advice, you should fork out the $25.00 or so for the Skip Barber book "going faster". Read it cover to cover..then again after you complete the school..the more you drive the more sense it will make...
Old 05-01-2007

Alright, well UPDATE to all of this stuff you guys posted. First the book, I started reading Ross Bentley books instead, mostly because of amazon.com user comments but I'm really enjoying the first book, Speed Secrets and learning lots of things I never imagined existed- such as the traction limit and everything that affects it.

Second the schools, I decided the only way to be satisfied would be to take the full 3-day, mostly because of the training rather then the experience, but even though I have the money...

I think I decided on something better to start with, buying a 100cc kart with all the gear I need, so I can go to any track I want and practice or join races. Then when I'm ready for SB again, I'll have some experience to progress through the course, and really understand what the instructors are telling me. Now...what forum do I ask about choices of kart brands and engines?
Old 05-02-2007

Quote:
..but even though I have the money...
Assuming also that you do not have an endless supply of personal vehicles to sell to finance your racing activities, DO NOT FORGET TO GRADUATE.
Old 05-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
Assuming also that you do not have an endless supply of personal vehicles to sell to finance your racing activities, DO NOT FORGET TO GRADUATE.
I'm working on it, thanks! ...I still have a Camaro I restored, but that's likely to be my trailer vehicle. but yeah i won't forget to graduate. I'm studying right now!!

Bookmark This Thread