Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 03-10-2008
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Congratulations Bobo

Gerardo joins BP, Mazda, and B-K Motorsports for 2008 ALMS Season

Each of us has a story to tell. We all have a few special components of our lives. Family, friends, and doing something special with our time on this earth. As kids, we tell our parents we want to be astronauts, firefighters, actors, doctors, professional video game testers, or similar. As we grow older, our teachers, family, and friends shape us into who we are today.

I had some amazing teachers in my life. I'll never forget how my English teachers taught me the importance of communication. It would be many years before I understood their lesson. I'll also never forget the lesson taught to me by George Hopkins of the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps who always told us, "If you get up and go to work every day, it will all work out."

It is with tears in my eyes that I write to you today to share with you that it has indeed worked out. My greatest dream has come true. I have been hired by Robert Bach, owner of B-K Motorsports, to drive the BP Mazda LMP2 prototype in the American LeMans Series. I also grow my relationship with Mazda, a company who's products I have driven on the street and race track for 14 years, and start a relationship with Mazda's valued partners, BP, Castrol, and Yokohama. I join with a phenomenal co-driver in Ben Devlin. The two of us will campaign the entire American LeMans season, while Raphael Matos, a Champ Car Atlantic and Star Mazda champion, will join us for the longer races at Sebring and Atlanta.

The journey to this day began 18 years ago, the day I first drove a go-kart. It would be many years of waiting before taking the Skip Barber 3-Day Racing School, and again many more years before ever driving in one of their races. I filled the time with autocrossing and the occasional kart race. A few driver search competitions placed me near the top, but never enough to earn scholarships. I knew nothing of sponsorship. One day, on the advice of a great friend named Nort Northam, I joined Skip Barber as an instructor. My life changed forever thanks to the learning I gained as a teacher, and by surrounding myself with the highly experienced race drivers who worked there.

I found ways to raise the support needed to compete in the Skip Barber's Regional series, and then three seasons of Skip Barber Nationals. Season 2 of Nationals was the infamous one where I spun off the championship to Marco Andretti. You never forget a lesson like that, and with that confidence, won the National Championship in 2005. There was never a doubt in my mind I wanted to go to Star Mazda and chase the Mazda Ladder System. In 2006 Star Mazda was a roller coaster ride of many important lessons, winning the opening race, then fighting through a season of highs and lows to finish 6th in points. In 2007, at the last minute, I signed with B-K Motorsports to run their IMSA Lites car, also powered by Mazda. I learned a great deal more winning this championship by working with the team in a capacity beyond just driving the car.

I have found balance in life, racing and teaching. I choose to teach, and will continue to teach, because it balances the raw war of competing at the pro level. I love racing and teaching equally. I would not do one as well without the other.

The list of names of people I wish to thank for helping me get here is too long for this email. But, I must thank God for strength and guidance, my family for their unconditional love, my friends for always being there when I need them most, my coaches for telling me exactly what I needed to hear at just the right time, my students for working hard and trusting me, my teammates and crew for their endless work, and my investors who took the risk and paid the incredible cost of tuition to shape what I am today. And of course, thanks to Robert Bach, John Doonan, Robert Davis, Mazda and its partners for trusting me.

Come and see the BP Mazda Team race this coming Saturday, March 15, 2008 at Sebring! Or catch us on SPEED Channel, with a green flag at 10:05 AM Eastern time!

Gerardo Bonilla

Last edited by cdh; 03-10-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2008
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Re: Congratulations Bobo

I was surfing the web and came accross this announcement on GeradoBonilla.com Awesome job BoBo, we all respect your love of the sport, your professionalism and demeanor. This was well deserved. Good luck at Sebring!
Old 03-10-2008
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 14

Way to go Bobo.. Hopefully I'll be able to make down to the 12hour and congratulate you in person.... Go get em!!!!

Last edited by rcote; 03-10-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Congratulations on reaching the ranks of the best professional road racers through hard work, talent, good humor and grace.

We'll be rooting for you at Sebring and right on through the rest of the season. Very good stuff!

Bravo Gerardo Bravo... We're proud of you!

:
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerardo 2.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	2640  

Last edited by dalyduo; 03-11-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2008
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 482

Wonderful, wonderful news! It's fantastic when you get to see someone succeed commensurate with his skills and hard work. It's even more fantastic to see it happen to a great human being. This time we get both. Bobo, we'll be following you (albeit at some considerable distance -- like your competition!) every mile this season.
Old 03-10-2008
Team Flying Randalls

Thumbs up Re: Congratulations Bobo

Well deserved - - - we'll see you in Sebring - - glad to see a good guy live the dream

Steve
(The Flying Randalls)
Old 03-10-2008
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Very hard work by our pal has paid off, so happy for ya Bobo, whoo hoo!

time for another avatar huh? Pls Post Some Pics
Old 03-10-2008
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Gerardo!

Awesome accomplishment and congratulations! You were not kidding it was going to be B-I-G...BIG! Fanatastic!

We are so very proud of our friend, teacher, racer and dinner companion!

Good luck in Sebring and the whole season forthcoming. And remember to keep your fuel level up and at the early seating!

Best of luck
Chris
Old 03-10-2008
Big Dick

If someone ever needs an example of the rewards of hard work,
perseverance, positive attitude and strong character, this is it. Congratulations Gerardo, it is well and truly earned and deserved.
Old 03-10-2008

Gallery Images: 2

Congrats Gerardo! Enjoy the 12 hours!!
Old 03-10-2008
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

OMG, amazing news!!!
Old 03-10-2008

Gallery Images: 1

You deserve every bit of this..The passion, hard work and perseverence paid off.

I'll stop up there at Sebring and see you Friday, but I'll watch you on TV Saturday
Old 03-10-2008
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Very glad to hear about this Bobo!!! Ditto to all the above.
Old 03-10-2008
Skippy Instructor

Congrats on the result of all the HARD work! Best of luck this season.
JP
Old 03-11-2008

Superb result from past work, persistence to the point of perseveration, which is what it takes to suceed in such a tough game.

Congratulations!

And, I'm sure there's more to come!
Old 03-11-2008
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

Tears in his eyes...A Cinderella story...former driving instructor..... soon to be.....World Champion!!!!!!......
We are all so proud and happy. You have always made such an impression on me....even though I came to a few events.....You deserve all of the good things in life.... This is a good case of "The good guys do win".
Good luck,.... We're all a little jealous.....And it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Make us proud!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2008
Diesel Demon

I echo all previous sentiments Bobo, well deserved. We'll be there this week and will be rooting for you !

Viz
Old 03-11-2008

Gallery Images: 36

This story put such a big smile on my face. Gerardo, I am so happy for you. What an awesome opportunity, and I am sure that you have found your place to shine even brighter than you already have. Best wishes for a wonderful season.
Old 03-11-2008
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Hey Bobo - Congratulations on an opportunity well deserved. I'm very happy for you and look forward to seeing you at Long Beach next month.
Old 03-11-2008
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

I always love it when the good guy wins. I'll have to do it in front of the TV but that noise you'll hear is us in the Northeast rooting for you.
Congrats, Bobo. Enjoy.

QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-11-2008
administrationistperson

what the hell, I'll reprise this post about GB's IMSA Lites victories last year, seems to fit.

Why is this Man Smiling?
Old 03-12-2008
Don
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Gerardo
This is phenomenal news! No one is more deserving. I know you will excel in this series as you have in others. I'll try to get down for the start but will definitely watch on Speed. Congratulations Bobo!!
Don
Old 03-12-2008
Cant live without racing
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

- Congratulations Gerardo, hard work pays off! I wish you good luck. Also I just recorded the race with Tivo. Ill be watchin the race!!
Old 03-12-2008

Thumbs up Re: Congratulations Bobo

Stories like your's help me keep faith in my own chances out there...

You are an inspiration to me

Knock 'em dead man!!!
Old 03-12-2008
tto-tgood

Gallery Images: 1

Congratulations Bobo! Looks like a really sweet ride! Enjoy it and good luck!
Old 03-13-2008
administrationistperson

Photo Re: Congratulations Bobo

from ALMS site - pics this week. I just can't stop smiling seeing Bobo in that car - wow
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	sebring-12-001.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	2642   Click image for larger version

Name:	sebring-12-002.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	2643   Click image for larger version

Name:	sebring-12-004.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	2644  
Old 03-13-2008
administrationistperson

Photo Re: Congratulations Bobo

more pics of the #8 from motorsport.com

Last edited by cdh; 03-13-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2008
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

It's been a few days and now, with my mind fully recovered, I wanted to thank each and every one of you for your support. Reading your posts during the race week was very special and uplifting.

I'm blessed to be racing with B-K Motorsports. If you could have been there, in my shoes, you would have been in awe of them. The audacity of building a complete LMP2 car in 24 hours from a bare tub was a sight to behold. "Herculean" is an appropriate term. I watched them not only get it done, but do it with passion. They got only a few hours of sleep in rotation, some guys up for 40 hours.

The passion of the team's leadership gave me great confidence. Not just the ownership and managers, but the partners as well, from Mazda, to Yokohama, to BP and Castrol, to the engine guys at AER, our engineering staff, and others. It was a treat to see the executives, instructors, crew, and customers of Skip Barber Racing School stop in and check on us. A few of the senior Skip Barber crew volunteered to help us check the car over.

We also received feedback from around the paddock. Crew chiefs and drivers from the most accomplished teams in ALMS sent us letters or stopped in to encourage us. The CEO of the ALMS also stopped in. The support from around our little world was so humbling. So many great people in this sport.

Driving the car is a very special privilege. It's a fighter jet of race cars. I can now understand just how much work it takes to get here. The time and money invested, the effort, the training, the support of friends, family, and investors, there's so much to it. I'll have a lot more in my playbook to teach with at Skip Barber.

Thank you once again for supporting my awesome team and my part in it. I hope to see you all at the racetrack soon.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 03-21-2008
Big Dick

Perhaps is appropriate now to get someone (Doug) to use a more current applicable photo as your avitar. :-)
Old 03-22-2008
administrationistperson

sample avatars sent to bobo, I have my first choice, see which one he chooses

here's one he sent I reworked - very cool car

Old 03-22-2008
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

Thank you Doug!!! We're lost without you, man.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 03-24-2008

Gallery Images: 122

Is there any hope of getting any in-car videos from your sweet new ride? Please!!
Old 04-08-2008

Was at a sailing course in St. Pete with my daughter, and ran down afterwards to see if i could catch some of your race this past weekend. Alas, already finished, but got to watch some of the Indy Lites and come by the BP stand. Seeing the name "Bonilla" emblazoned on the car ( a prototype, my most alluring fantasy ) just made me smile and smile.

Some folks on this site will recall the energy and enthusiasm you shared with us mere mortals when you came running down the pit lane in the six-hour PBOC a few months back, having set fast lap in spec miata (!) while the other drivers were scratchin' their heads....with a big smile you breathlessly shook hands and chatted with us and then said " Wanna know how i did it? ", explaining your braking points and strategy. That was so you -- enthusiasm, joy of the sport, energy, and a great willingness to help others. To me, that's what it's all about - that's being a real Racer! You deserve every success! Go, Gerardo!
Old 04-08-2008
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Nicely put Doc. I remember the light in his eyes when he described how great it was driving Sebring for the first time at night after years of dominating in daylight.

What I'll always recall was Gerardo bounding into the BSI parts trailer we were using as a changing room with the good news that he'd just been invited to tryout for the LMP2 car he's now driving. Never touching a step, he literally flew into the trailer his feet landing several feet inside. His face was having trouble containing his oversize grin and big eyes, looking more like Mickey Mouse than Mickey himself. He had the demeanor of an orphan who'd been led into the living room of a mansion with an enormous Christmas tree and told that all the gifts around the big tree were only for him.

He wasn't at liberty to divulge the team but "Zoom Zoom" was ooozing out of his pours. It was an opportunity he'd been working towards for years and he has made and will continue to make the best of it. :-) Good stuff for a very good guy and racer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Racer View Post
Some folks on this site will recall the energy and enthusiasm you shared with us mere mortals when you came running down the pit lane in the six-hour PBOC a few months back, having set fast lap in spec miata (!) while the other drivers were scratchin' their heads....with a big smile you breathlessly shook hands and chatted with us and then said " Wanna know how i did it? ", explaining your braking points and strategy. That was so you -- enthusiasm, joy of the sport, energy, and a great willingness to help others. To me, that's what it's all about - that's being a real Racer! You deserve every success! Go, Gerardo!

Bookmark This Thread