Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 02-16-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Want to be in Racer Mag?

Attention all Masters!

Want to be in RACER Magazine?

As you may or may not know, Skip Barber Racing School has a 500 word editorial spot in RACER Magazine each month. For the upcoming issue, I'd like to dedicate it to all our Masters drivers. My goal is to explain the program and maybe put in a few stories and experiences of some of the drivers.

I'd like to hear your stories! If you'd like to be considered to be mentioned in the article, I need some information.
1) How did you get started in SBRS and how long have you been racing with us?
2) What are some of your favorite parts about being in the Masters class?
3) Share with me some SBRS memories or stories. (Especailly if you have any about racing with today's celeb drivers)
4) And lastly, your full name, any titles you may prefer and what you do for a living

500 words is NOT a lot, so I can't gauretee that everyone will make it. Right now, I just need content. The completed editorial is due on February 24th (one week), and I plan to start writing over the next couple days. Before I send it to the magazine, it has to be proofed by others in the office, which can sometimes take a full day. The sooner I get information the better.

If you'd like to send me content, you can either reply here or email me at kbrouillet@skipbarber.com.

Thanks, and can't wait to see some of the responses!
Old 02-18-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Re: Want to be in Racer Mag?

Hey guys, Just a reminder to send me your info if you want to be featured in the magazine! I think it would be great to have some of your stories or backgrounds in the article! So far I've only received one response, which is fine, but I don't want anyone to miss out!

thanks!
Old 02-18-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Some of us here in Sebring are pleasantly distracted by the cars and race track. When racing ends on Sunday you may find a better response to your query. Is there a deadline we should be aware of?
Old 02-18-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

haha oh right. It's been a crazy week, I forgot momentarily forgot Sebring was going on this weekend.

By Wednesday would be great. I'll have to double check but I think the article is due Thursday.
Old 02-23-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBruSBRS View Post
haha oh right. It's been a crazy week, I forgot momentarily forgot Sebring was going on this weekend.

By Wednesday would be great. I'll have to double check but I think the article is due Thursday.
still taking requests?
Old 02-24-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Thank you to all who sent me material (even those who sent it late last night ). The first draft was finished by yesterday evening and once I trim it down (I'm always over the word limit!) it will proofed by other people here in the office. After a little bit more editing and selecting some photos, it'll be ready to send to RACER this afternoon.

Even though I couldn't squeeze everybody's stories into the 500 words (David Knight, Gary Vizioli and Dr. Mike were the first to respond and will be featured), I had a GREAT time reading everyone's stories and will definitely find a way to do a follow-up on our website or something to mention the others and tell those stories.

Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

The IT team is still swamped with their own projects, until we can get the article up on the site, here's the RACER Magazine article! Thanks again to all who sent me material! (sorry the formatting is goofy!)

Making Tracks: Master Class for the Young at Heart

Skip Barber Racing School's "Masters" group offers business professionals and late bloomers their racing chance.
By Kelly Brouillet; As seen in RACER Magazine, April 2011

Everyone knows that in order to have a successful career in motorsports, one has to start training at a young age. Most motorsport professionals began racing before they even hit the double digits. But what about those who missed the calling at an early age and only later in life have acted on the desire to race? At Skip Barber Racing School, they are the Masters: A group of racers over the age of 26 who compete for overall championship points against today's up-and-coming racers as well as against each other within their own class. These men and women come from all walks of life to take a break from everyday life by letting loose and competing on track.

David Knight, President of Knight Tubs Pools & Spas, first caught the racing bug at Lime Rock Park in 1976. For 34 years, Knight watched from the sidelines until in 2010 when his wife gave him a One Day Skip Barber Racing School as a gift. "From minute one at the track I have been completely in love with the experience." said Knight, now a Master. "Each race is like two races in one with Masters competitors vying for both overall and Masters positions…The best part of racing in the Masters Series is the fantastic feedback from the instructors and the completely unselfish help from the more experienced racers."

Gary "Viz" Vizioli also waited some time before making the dream a reality. "I came to Skip Barber Racing School to satisfy a 37 year urge to go racing," said Vizioli. "I wasn't disappointed." A Technical Solution Architect in mainframe outsourcing solutions, Vizioli took his first Skip Barber Racing School and a month later participated in his first official race weekend. "I did a five race weekend in 2007 and have raced the full Summer Series every year after that," he relates. "Watching and learning from other Masters is of course beneficial--the racing is close and hard fought, and the camaraderie is wonderful."
In 1999, looking for that same camaraderie, Dr. Mike Edwards brought his 8-year-old son to the track for a father/son bonding experience. "It got out of control," says Edwards, currently the Chief of Surgery at the University of Cincinnati. Edwards has been racing as a Master with Skip Barber Racing School ever since and his son, John Edwards, moved on to claim both the 2008 Star Mazda Series Championship and the 2009 Atlantic Championship. Together they still compete side by side at Skip Barber Racing School events.

"I've always believed that 'old age and treachery can overcome youth and exuberance,'" says Edwards. "For me, the experience is all about working hard and playing even harder. It's enjoying life and being able to let your hair down and relax."

These competitors do what every enthusiast dreams of: trading the office in for a race car, even just for a few days. Although they started later in their lives than today's professional racers, they already raced against the pros before they were famous, and they've got some fun stories to tell.

RACER is published monthly by Haymarket Worldwide LLC
Copyright 2011 by Haymarket Worldwide LLC
www.racer.com
Photos and words by Kelly Brouillet

Last edited by cdh; 03-25-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBruSBRS View Post
The IT team is still swamped with their own projects, until we can get the article up on the site, here's the RACER Magazine article! Thanks again to all who sent me material! (sorry the formatting is goofy!)

This is AWESOME
I selfishly love that there is a picture of me in it

Great job Kelly!
Looking forward to seeing the print version

Old 03-28-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
This is AWESOME
I selfishly love that there is a picture of me in it

Great job Kelly!
Looking forward to seeing the print version

haha. I figured you would. You can thank RACER. They picked the photo.

Bookmark This Thread