Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 05-25-2009
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Radio WGI Race Chatter

These are taking longer than usual to process, trying to improve where I can, levels all over the place - tough getting decent race talk, here are first 2

G1R1 chatter - 33:23 min 23 MB

G3R1 chatter - 27:44 min 19 MB
Old 05-26-2009
administrationistperson

Re: WGI Race Chatter

more

G4R1 - 28:25 20 MB

G1R2 - 28:51 20 MB
Old 05-26-2009
administrationistperson

Last 2 races

G3R2 - 24:30 17 MB

G4R2 - 27:00 19 MB

Unfortunately G3R2 was the worst quality, I was shooting vid between 10 and 11, scanner was there and I think the power lines that cross over might have hurt reception, and it sounds like we're getting walked on by local police or fire, someone was hitting us. Recording from a Skip walkie talkie will help, better recept. than my scanner. Tough trying to get all races using an iPod, wrong device for this, looking at getting a different digital recorder.

Sorry MX5 drivers I tried to get one of yours but early in the race someone must have wondered why a scanner was sitting on top of my Mini and accidentally hit a button on it, changed freq and that was it.

When you get your DVDs from Mike you can watch and listen to chatter, the green is a good place to sync it. Anyone interested in an edit of race vid and chatter let me know.
Old 05-26-2009
somewhere out there
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

My all time fav vid is still Team Red from Sebring. The racing alone and onboard work is fantastic, but mixed with the audio gave you the ultimate spectator experience.

I think Speed should deploy instructors to each corner of an F1 race and just let them natter away on the radio.
Old 05-26-2009
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Thanks for costing me a nights sleep Doug... Like eatin' peanuts... Said, "I'll just listen to the first one...." at about 12:30a last night... by 1:40a had finished the second one and you'd posted the next set. "OK... just one more." Got through the 3rd race at about 2:15a and the 3rd set wasn't posted yet so I checked the news and promptly fell asleep at my desk. Woke up @ 6:30a to discover your third set ready and waiting. Just finished the 4th race with a sore lower back and hunched shoulders from the excess desk chair seat time both sleeping and listening to race chatter. Damn you Harrison... Damn you.

Can't wait to sync 'em to to Mike Marino's video!

Great weekend and thanks for both capturing and posting these. You must not have slept much yourself!
Old 05-26-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Thanks for costing me a nights sleep Doug... Like eatin' peanuts... Said, "I'll just listen to the first one...." at about 12:30a last night... by 1:40a had finished the second one and you'd posted the next set. "OK... just one more." Got through the 3rd race at about 2:15a and the 3rd set wasn't posted yet so I checked the news and promptly fell asleep at my desk. Woke up @ 6:30a to discover your third set ready and waiting. Just finished the 4th race with a sore lower back and hunched shoulders from the excess desk chair seat time both sleeping and listening to race chatter. Damn you Harrison... Damn you. Great weekend and thanks for both capturing and posting these. You must not have slept much yourself!
sounds like I have found a way to slow you down, hand you a bunch of DVDs of your races with chatter the night before a race.

I was very curious about Matt's call of your 4-off in G1R2....

audio 15 seconds

"I had to call it in"...does that mean you and Matt have an arrangement for NOT calling all your 4-offs? Is that a SB instructor perk? Very interesting

No, didn't get much sleep, these took a lot of time equalizing, kinda like the SB cars at WGI
Old 05-26-2009
4am Ninja
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

this is great stuff
Old 05-26-2009
Grand Master

No prior deal or courtesy. I'd been fighting tooth and nail to that point for a podium spot and going into the bus stop when the left front wheel hit the second curb the steering wheel slipped through my hands a bit sending the car way wide of the line. I knew I'd never get the car bent back left to make the exit curbing so rather than crash I drove it straight across the grass on the back side of the exit curbing. I wasn't just a little bit offline with a 3 7/8ths close call... I was John Deering it in back of the exit curbing leaving everything but crop circles as evidence in the grass. I'd both shortened the course and cut the grass.

Matt's a racer and hates to see a good battle end on a 3 7/8ths close call so he'll give the benefit of the doubt to any racer in favor of having a good battle continue. His regret was that I'd strayed so far from the reservation that he had absolutely no choice but to call it.

My biggest regret was that control never bothered to show me a black flag so I had some doubt whether it had been called or not and elected to stay out. If they'd waved a black flag I'd have known for sure, pitted and finished in the pit lane preserving quite a few points positions. My mistake for not doing the right thing anyway.

PS... No sooner did I post this description when Gerardo posts up a time lapse sequence documenting the whole thing. In this case the truth hurts but the pictures do verify it. Thanks Gerardo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
sounds like I have found a way to slow you down, hand you a bunch of DVDs of your races with chatter the night before a race.

I was very curious about Matt's call of your 4-off in G1R2....

audio 15 seconds

"I had to call it in"...does that mean you and Matt have an arrangement for NOT calling all your 4-offs? Is that a SB instructor perk? Very interesting

No, didn't get much sleep, these took a lot of time equalizing, kinda like the SB cars at WGI
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	wgi_2009_36.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	3231   Click image for larger version

Name:	wgi_2009_37.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	3232   Click image for larger version

Name:	wgi_2009_38.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	3233   Click image for larger version

Name:	wgi_2009_39.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	3234  

Last edited by dalyduo; 05-26-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-26-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Pat--

Congrats on a terrific race weekend. You put on a clinic on how it should be done. Incredible car control and smoothness. Really enjoyed our fight in G3R1. You get my vote for The Most Masterful and Mucho Mas Grande Testiculare Move of the Weekend by slamming the door on me with AUTHORITY in Turn 10 2 corners from the flag. When I get my video I'll let you see just how how few dollar bills you could slip between our tires. An exotic dancer would not be pleased, let's just put it that way.

And as you said on the grid for Race 2, "How lucky are we?" Couldn't have said it better myself. The Glen is an incredible place to race, a true slip angle and speed junkie's paradise. I just LOVE flying in to Turn 11, barely grazing the brake, letting the car float in for a second, and then going to gas as the tires start slipping, seeing nothing but blue fence in front of me. And then by some miracle of physics, the car....starts....turning, the tires threatening ot let go all the way to the rumble strips. That and drifting around the Carousel with the back end wagging, the tires hollering, and nothing but blue fence in view. God, what it would be like with 75 more horsepower. Although I did get a little taste of that in the 50 car.

Racing better than sex? There is no contest. Just don't tell the ladies.
Old 05-26-2009
Grand Master

Harsha, Harsha, Harsha,

Still in the afterglow of our racing intimacy are you... ?

Can't wait to see your video as I was desparately trying to hold the line with a car in the early stages of fuel starvation! Felt more like survival than slamming the door but our videos will tell the tale.

You are so improved as a driver and racer. Sadly for all of us that will only continue. Even your mistakes are improving as your spins caused no damage other than loss of position.

As we both took note on the starting grid we were truly blessed to be racing at Watkins Glen with good friends, family and the incredible support of the Skippy mechanics, instructors and logistics folk. Living your dream on a beautiful day at a world class racing facility is as good as it gets in my book.

Any time, my friend... any time. And that goes for the rest of you laggards and louts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Pat--

Congrats on a terrific race weekend. You put on a clinic on how it should be done. Incredible car control and smoothness. Really enjoyed our fight in G3R1. You get my vote for The Most Masterful and Mucho Mas Grande Testiculare Move of the Weekend by slamming the door on me with AUTHORITY in Turn 10 2 corners from the flag. When I get my video I'll let you see just how how few dollar bills you could slip between our tires. An exotic dancer would not be pleased, let's just put it that way.

And as you said on the grid for Race 2, "How lucky are we?" Couldn't have said it better myself. The Glen is an incredible place to race, a true slip angle and speed junkie's paradise. I just LOVE flying in to Turn 11, barely grazing the brake, letting the car float in for a second, and then going to gas as the tires start slipping, seeing nothing but blue fence in front of me. And then by some miracle of physics, the car....starts....turning, the tires threatening ot let go all the way to the rumble strips. That and drifting around the Carousel with the back end wagging, the tires hollering, and nothing but blue fence in view. God, what it would be like with 75 more horsepower. Although I did get a little taste of that in the 50 car.

Racing better than sex? There is no contest. Just don't tell the ladies.
Old 05-26-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Harsha, Harsha, Harsha,

Still in the afterglow of our racing intimacy are you... ?
Seems that way. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Quote:
Can't wait to see your video as I was desperately trying to hold the line with a car in the early stages of fuel starvation! Felt more like survival than slamming the door but our videos will tell the tale.
Racing is a game of inches and hundredths. Winners see what's available and pounce on it, even in desperate situations. That you were clear-minded enough to evaluate the situation in the microsecond that I braked ever so early and take the opening speaks volumes about where you were mentally at the moment. Some others would have used up processor capacity cursing the fate that they were running out of gas. Your presence of mind under duress is the mark of a true champion.

Quote:
Any time, my friend... any time. And that goes for the rest of you laggards and louts.
I do believe our Paddy is feeling his oats... hardware has a way of bringing that on. Enjoy it while you can, my dear dear friend. Here I come. And next time it will be Eddie Van Slowhands, not Mr Knucklehead. I can promise you that.
Quote:
PS... No sooner did I post this description when Gerardo posts up a time lapse sequence documenting the whole thing. In this case the truth hurts but the pictures do verify it. Thanks Gerardo.
PPS... I know a secret about warmup lap for G3R2, but I'm not telling. shhhhhhhh
Old 05-26-2009
4am Ninja
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Doug, any chance you were able to get the MX5 chatter?
Old 05-26-2009
Grand Master

Scooby, Doug mentioned MX-5 races here...
Quote:
Sorry MX5 drivers I tried to get one of yours but early in the race someone must have wondered why a scanner was sitting on top of my Mini and accidentally hit a button on it, changed freq and that was it.
Old 05-26-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
No prior deal or courtesy.
of course not.....DD stop taking me so seriously (after Hazzmatt declined my bribe I knew it was a gag )

Well done DD, you drove so well in G3R2, glad you clubbed those baby seals instead of me

Bobo - thanks for posting all the photos, fantastic contribution to the site, good stuff. Great seeing you as always, what a great weekend.

Big WTG to our pal George Kline for achieving a trifecta. He beat his illness, he beat the feds and kept the dealership, then with family watching made the podium......SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!! Fine job bub.

Viz and I had some great fun on track, big strides Gary. Considering your recent serious illness all I can say is great comeback!

Chris Brassard gave me some hilarious stuff to shoot, always fun on track with ya, WGI no exception.

Harsha...fess up, what other secret series have you been running? Fast Eddie Felson Van Halen...or somthing like that, very good seeing you.

To everyone else new and old and of course the SB staff - too much fun, must make Tremblant, must make Tremblant, must make Tremblant
Old 05-26-2009
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

I have got to stop talking... and sounds... and babble.... you are recording everything!
Old 05-27-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92 View Post
I have got to stop talking... and sounds... and babble.... you are recording everything!
don't ever change Duke
Old 05-27-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
My biggest regret was that control never bothered to show me a black flag so I had some doubt whether it had been called or not and elected to stay out. If they'd waved a black flag I'd have known for sure, pitted and finished in the pit lane preserving quite a few points positions. My mistake for not doing the right thing anyway.
I didn't get a black either after I was run into the grass entering the Bus Stop , weird, usually see a black right away. I stayed out figuring at WGI there might be a FCY, there was, and crash was in turn 9 - perfect, I popped right in for the safety check, was in and out quickly. My advantage was having the 4-off earlier in the race and pitting under yellow. The guys up front who had them later had to pit under green, def helped me a lot, lucky.

Last edited by cdh; 05-27-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-28-2009
tto-tgood
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Quote:
of course not.....DD stop taking me so seriously (after Hazzmatt declined my bribe I knew it was a gag )

Well done DD, you drove so well in G3R2, glad you clubbed those baby seals instead of me

Bobo - thanks for posting all the photos, fantastic contribution to the site, good stuff. Great seeing you as always, what a great weekend.

Big WTG to our pal George Kline for achieving a trifecta. He beat his illness, he beat the feds and kept the dealership, then with family watching made the podium......SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!! Fine job bub.

Viz and I had some great fun on track, big strides Gary. Considering your recent serious illness all I can say is great comeback!

Chris Brassard gave me some hilarious stuff to shoot, always fun on track with ya, WGI no exception.

Harsha...fess up, what other secret series have you been running? Fast Eddie Felson Van Halen...or somthing like that, very good seeing you.

To everyone else new and old and of course the SB staff - too much fun, must make Tremblant, must make Tremblant, must make Tremblant

I'm definitely missing you guys and the racing - very hard to be on the sidelines again. Sounds like WGI was a lot of fun!
Old 05-28-2009
administrationistperson

Photo Re: WGI Race Chatter

You were missed Tom, it was fun....see? A very Burger weekend (thanks to GT Subject for providing the stickers)

more pics on SB site

Old 05-30-2009
administrationistperson

Photo Re: WGI Race Chatter

looks like a paddock speed limit violation for sure......
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	pete-mg-wgi.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	3245  
Old 06-01-2009
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Good weekend real good racing and fun! cool to meet some new people
check out my website www.Nickracer.com videos the races Thanks to GoPro
Old 06-02-2009
administrationistperson

cool Nick, thanks for posting that. Looking at yours and GT Subject's Gopro clips, is that wavy image the way it comes out of the camera, or does that happen after processing the video for the web? If I can offer any help, email me so I don't get crap from Harsha about using the dreaded E word - ENCODE

to go with the Argetsinger MG pic posted earlier, I found this photo from my 2001 album

Old 06-02-2009

Thanks the podium video was great. The wave come from the camera at high rpm. It only wave when you at high rpms then you shift and they go away. Also the roll bar get alot of vibration because on some of the different angle I did not get the waves.
Old 06-11-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
....move of the Weekend by slamming the door on me with AUTHORITY in Turn 10 2 corners from the flag. When I get my video I'll let you see just how how few dollar bills you could slip between our tires.
Slowhands, did you get video and did it live up to expectations?
Old 06-17-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Andries View Post
Thanks the podium video was great. The wave come from the camera at high rpm. It only wave when you at high rpms then you shift and they go away. Also the roll bar get alot of vibration because on some of the different angle I did not get the waves.
Looking at vid from Gopro cameras on MX5's, the problem must be the mount you are using on the Formula car. There is less vibration isolation in open wheeler so a sturdier mount would probably solve it.

Ram Mounts offer ways to mount just about anything, this link goes to their digital camera mounts page. Pretty much the same setup used by Mike Marino and those are steady videos so it should solve your problem.

You can browse their site for other ideas, they have tons of different mounting systems.

edit - Nick, just saw your vids on youtube and you solved the problem, nice camera angles, cool stuff. What did you do differently?
Old 06-17-2009

I dont know the only time I have the wave problem is on the roll bar when the rpms are above 5000. Every other angle I havent had the waves at all. In Lime Rock I used a piece of seat in between the mount and the roll bar and I think that minimized the waves. I cant really use another mount because GoPro sponsored me all the cameras and gadgets with them.
Old 06-17-2009

Thumbs up Re: WGI Race Chatter

If anyone is interested in trying a GoPro camera before buying, I set it up for you a session one time on a race weekend. Just let me know I will be at the next race at Road America. You can sent me a message on here or visit my website Nickracer.com and shoot me an email
Old 06-17-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Andries View Post
I dont know the only time I have the wave problem is on the roll bar when the rpms are above 5000. Every other angle I havent had the waves at all. In Lime Rock I used a piece of seat in between the mount and the roll bar and I think that minimized the waves. I cant really use another mount because GoPro sponsored me all the cameras and gadgets with them.
copy that, thanks Nick, the vids look great

Also, you can set up a link to your site on our Skippy Racer & Race Track Websites page and a link to GoPro in the Racing & Automobile Website Directory. Both of these are found in the Links & Downloads forum, button on top nav bar.

Tags
race chatter , watkins glen , wgi

Bookmark This Thread