Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 05-12-2010
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

SBRS 3 Day - After Action Report

Well I am home after completing the 3 day school at Laguna Seca. I had a fantastic time, learned a lot of new stuff and consolidated a lot of previous knowledge. First off, the instructors for my group were Grant Ryley, Jeff Rodrigues, Jon Morley, and Jonathan Frost. Every single one of those guys played a critical role in making everyone in my class a better driver. In my job, I have received and given an inordinate amount of instruction over the last 25 years. I know a lot about giving instruction, and a poor instructor is easy to spot. and every one of these guys did it just right. For an instructor, having knowledge is worthless without the ability to impart it to the student in a meaningful way.

In addition to great instruction, the course was run with precision with respect to the clock. Every driving or classroom session started and ended on time. The result was little or no wasted time during the three days, and no discernible loss of track time. I think this attention to detail plays a big role in the enjoyment of the course.

Prior to showing up my experience was three plus years of track days with BMW and Porsche clubs, almost all of that time at one track. I felt like I had pretty good car control skills, and was proficient at heel and toe downshifting. I had read Going Faster, and had watched the companion DVD.

By day three I was lapping with much more awareness. By that I mean my vision had opened up more, my brain had a few more cells to spare to think about smooooothly releasing the brake and squeeeeeezing on the power, (all in a couple of milliseconds of course.) and most importantly I think, making small changes lap to lap to improve my pace and efficiency around the track.

Just so this doesn't come off as a commercial for SBRS, I will mention what I thought was the only negative. I think the facility needs a little update. Ideally there would be a locker/changing room with an expanded restroom area, much like you find in a nice gym.
Old 05-16-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: SBRS 3 Day - After Action Report

Based on this report Ron... The first follow up question is... When will you be doing your Adv 2-day?!

The neat thing about your report is that you have the experience to really appreciate what you got. Most people don't know the difference and so can't truly appreciate both the content and execution. Really good stuff.

Pat
Old 05-17-2010
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Thanks Ron, FYI, since these instructors don't frequent this forum much, but are all on Facebook, I linked this to my FB wall...
Old 05-17-2010
Skippy Instructor
Rookie / Advanced Member (<10 Posts)

Hi Ron,

As CDH mentioned, his FB post led me to this thread. Thanks for the complimentary words. I'm glad you had such a great time at the school and you were happy with how everything went. We strive to make the schools run well and it's nice to hear good feedback. I too agree that a serious upgrade to the facilities would be an excellent addition.

I hope you find your way back to us for and ADV 2 and I hope to be working on the school with you.

Take care and stay smooth.

Grant
Old 05-18-2010

Thanks Grant and everyone else. I did have a great time, and suspect the hole in my wallet will soon rival BP's gusher. I do plan to do the advanced 2 day when I can get around to it, its a no brainer I think. I do admit lusting after the Jim Russell FJR-50, but I know that the car is more or less irrelevant at my skill level. In fact, I may stop using R888s at the track on my E30 after the current ones wear out. I'll save some money and have more fun with car control!

Ron
Old 05-18-2010
Skippy Instructor
Rookie / Advanced Member (<10 Posts)

The Russell Car is awesome. It is a true race car. The problem is that driving a car like that won't make you any better at driving right now. Driving a car like that will give you a big rush but you'll never get near the limit (properly). It's really nothing about "your" particular skill level. Its more about the car itself and that track. They are very expensive to crash and Sears Point (They call it Infenion now) is a track with not much room for error.

I'm not selling one over the other although I am somewhat biased. I would agree that using a harder tire for track days may prove beneficial to you.

Either way, hope to see you again at an ADV 2 or even an Advanced car control. You'd probably love that too.

Hit me up on FB if you have any particular questions or I can help in any way.

GR
Old 05-18-2010

WILCO

Ron

Bookmark This Thread