Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 04-02-2007
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Wally Bohren leaving SBR after Daytona Finale

As some of you know, I am starting a crewed sailboat charter business in the Caribbean this fall. I have a new Dean 441 catamaran on order to be christened in Cape Town, South Africa in early August. I will then sail it to Annapolis, Maryland for the show there in early October. From there, the Blue Bayou will be entered in the Caribbean 1500, a race from Hampton Road, Virginia directly to Roadtown, Tortola, BVI. That will be my winter base for chartering.
The Daytona Finale will be my last SBR event.
While I am waiting for August, I will continue to private coach. I also am working on a website for the driver and chassis development business, www.waltbohren.com and one for the charter trade, www.sailbluebayou.com I am really looking forward to running my own business again. It was 1980 when I closed my race shop and started driving for other teams.
Sailing, like racing, has been a passion of mine since 1980. I actually had my first motorboat on the Jersey shore in 1956. I turned 59 this February, so I feel now is the time to go sailing, while my health is still at its peak.
It has been an interesting 25 years at SBR, but it is time for me to move on. I have met some great people over the years, and have enough memories to write a book. Perhaps Carl Lopez can be my ghost writer.
I would like to thank everyone for the kindness that I have been afforded. I will miss that very much.
Hopefully, I will see all of you sometime and somewhere.

Captain Wally
Old 04-02-2007
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Re: Wally Bohren leaving SBR after Daytona Finale

Good for you, Captain Wally! 59 is so young, a great time to make this change.

Your smile is one of my brightest memories of Skip Barber days.

We will miss you, but wish the wind in your sails and fantastic adventures ahead.

Karen Ende
Old 04-02-2007
GrandMasterB
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 57

Wally, good luck with this new chapter in your life. It was great having you at the track from my 3 day, 10 years ago, to my most recent race.

I guess this boat you're getting is just a little bigger than the Hobie 16s I used to sail.

Bob Manzella
Old 04-02-2007

Karen,
Thank you for the kind words. I wish you and Duncan the best.

Bob,
My first sailboat was a Prindle 16, so I have come full circle.
The best,

Wally
Old 04-02-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Wally:

What can I say but THANK YOU for your kind coaching and for your ever encouraging comments on days when even I knew I was butt ugly out there.
You will be sorely missed at the track this season.

I hope you stay connected here some how and would love nothing more than to visit you in Tortola for a charter on the Catamaran.

Many thanks for everything.

Chris
Old 04-02-2007

Gallery Images: 36

Hi Wally,

This is sad news for us racers, but great news for you, and I can tell that you are excited about this new project.

One memory that I will always have is from the start of a van-around on a damp track, when you turned to all of us and said, "Your job is to find the grip and use it!" Great advice.

Thanks for all of your comments and feedback.

Ted Jewell
Old 04-02-2007
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Hey Wally,

Hate to see you go but understand and wish you the best on your new venture. You were, and still are , one of the favorite people I've met through Skippy. Always willing to make me feel good about what I was doing no matter how off target I actually was. You'll be missed.
Good luck and smooth sailing.
Rick
Old 04-02-2007
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Big smiles with twinges of sadness reading your post. You'll be missed and your impromptu banter at the banquets will be doubly missed. .

Always enjoyed your clever droll feedback at the track.

On the radio at Tremblant two years ago, you perfectly summed up four consecutive failures at modulating brake release. "After three unsuccessful attempts, Daly finally spins it in Namerow..." The economy of that line still makes me laugh.

Your deliberate alert of Stevie Dee to the gravel trap pullover is classic. If you write that book with Carl, I'll buy the first copy.

Change is good.

Nothing but good health and good luck Walt.

Pat
Old 04-02-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Wally,

I assume there is no truth to the rumor that you are skipping town to avoid a Divi/Wally rematch.

Seriously, of all the instructors I've had over 15 years at SBRS, I think you have been the one with the greatest ability to observe small and subtle issues that you wouldn't think would be visible from outside of the car, and provide trenchant feedback and advice. I don't know how many times I've walked away after getting your feedback thinking that your analysis of my driving was just absolutely spot on, very consistent with my own analysis of what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong. Your input --not to mention your droll sense of humor-- will be sorely missed.

I understand that nothing stays constant forever, and I'm delighted to hear that you are leaving SBRS to pursue another of your passions. I wish you all the best in your new endeavor.
Old 04-03-2007

Gallery Images: 1

We'll miss ya Capt Wally. Fair winds and following seas !!!!
Old 04-03-2007
Selfish Bastard

Wally,fficeffice" />

I will not be at Daytona this year so our last days working together were Moroso. I am glad you got in the race car. A memory to cherish. I will miss you; your funny comments and your ability to let it all hang out. I will mark my calendar and I will see you on the east coast prior to you setting sail. Send me the date.

I will keep the torch lit... but not to bright.

Haz Matt
Old 04-03-2007
Fund Raiser Racer

This will be one of the saddest days in a long while.After 26 years of putting a smile on my face at every event i will miss you the most.

We have had the best time's over the years.

you have the ability to change a room just by leaving THAT IS TO DULL AND BORING

GOOD LUCK but running away from me wont help i plan to move in and be your gofer.

thanks for the best 26 years in my life.

i will keep turning right thanks to you

book me for the run back

badger

$ MONSTRA MIHI PECUNIAM $
Old 04-03-2007

Western Re: Wally Bohren leaving SBR after Daytona Finale

Wally,
You will be missed.
One of my fond memories was you giving me feedback about how to negotiate a particular turn at Sebring. You helped me to get it right. Your told me that if you do it right, it will feel wonderful and that was spot on. I now could go through 1 of Sebring's 17 turns correctly and it felt great. But Sebring changed Turn Nine a few months later and so I am back to 17 turns that I need help on.
I look forward to hearing about the exploits of Blue Bayou and her Capitan.

Thanks,
Ken
AKA Redneck
Old 04-03-2007

It really gives me a good feeling that I have atleast entertained people, even though I was unable, for the most part, to communicate suffiently to actually improve their driving skills. Sometimes it just doesn't take ( look at RB, I did his school in 1983 ).
Sid, my boat will be based in Cuba. You have an open invitation to visit as often as you want. The address is : 1 Main St., Havana, Cuba, and the phone number is 666-555-1212.

Thanks again to everyone.

Come to Daytona, and we'll drink a toast to the rest of our lives!!

Wally Llama
Old 04-03-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Wort Bolin... we have had some of the best times ever man. From RC planes, to pokin sticks at the guys, just hanging out and so forth. I think it is great that you are picking up and doing something so different. I hope to recontinue(yes Stevie Dee, it's a word) our friendship for life. Always love your story tellin' and just flat out witty behavior. "In the battle of wits, you are unarmed"... thats the quote of the year from Cap'n Wally... I'd be the bilge troll anyday on that boat Wally, Keith
Old 04-03-2007

Wally Llama,
We will hoist one. The Scotch will be there.
Ken
Old 04-03-2007

Wally it was great getting to know you during my first season, thanks for all the words of wisdom, all the best.

Tom
Old 04-04-2007

Wally,

What a bitter-sweet message you've sent. We'll miss your crisp observations and instructions at the track and your priceless commentaries on the characters in racing, including us. Breaking the SBR continuity after 25 years is especially hard for those who've been around many of them, but reminds us that time is the unrenewable resource. Exciting plans and surely more tales to tell in the making.

All the best, John
Old 04-05-2007
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Best of luck with your new adventure. It sounds like a ton of fun.

It is too bad we won't be able to team up for another memorial, though.
Old 04-05-2007
Big Dick

First, I want to thank you for all the coaching you have provided over the years, particularly a few weeks ago at Sebring. It really made a difference.

Second, I want to congratulate you for being one of the few people who successfully live life on their own terms. It is truly a wonderful thing that you have the courage at this stage of your life to pursue another dream, and I have no doubt that it will prove to be a wonderous and successful experience.

Most people, when they get to the point, as we all eventually do, of being forced to sit in the rocker on the porch, will think back on all the things they wish they would have done. Then there are the rare few who will sit and reflect on the memories of the wonderful things they have done. You are firmly in that latter, rare group and I respect that immeasurably.

So, as you sail off with fair winds and following seas, I wish you the fondest farewell and godspeed.
Old 04-05-2007
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Wally, we'll miss you. Especially at all the parties and banquets!!

PS - I hear a Dean 441 can top out at 15 knots. We'll all be frickin' shocked if you can't make it go 20..
Old 04-05-2007

Thanks, Dick. It's not always easy being Wally.

Sy, Go to Deancatamarans.com, click on the Dean 441 and go to the video of the boat in the Southern Ocean surfing down the 20+' waves at 20 knots !!!!!!!!! Yeah, Baby. Mr Toad's wild ride.
Old 04-05-2007

And sometimes when one chooses "the path less traveled", they end up wandering aroung the woods alone.

The Wally Llama
Old 04-05-2007
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally
Thanks, Dick. It's not always easy being Wally.

Sy, Go to Deancatamarans.com, click on the Dean 441 and go to the video of the boat in the Southern Ocean surfing down the 20+' waves at 20 knots !!!!!!!!! Yeah, Baby. Mr Toad's wild ride.
Then let's bump up your speed target to 30! YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 04-05-2007

All it takes is more sail. Those guys in the Southern Ocean should have been flying a chute !! Cubscouts.......
Old 04-05-2007
tto-tgood

Gallery Images: 1

Wally,
I haven't been in a Skippy car in a while due to lack of funds, but its people like you who make this series so wonderful (and addicting). You will be missed very much.
Keep us posted on your new charter business, its something Fern and I have been considering doing soon. It sounds like you are doing crewed charters, will you also be doing "bareboat" charters?
Good sailing and enjoy the BVI's.
Tom
Old 04-05-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlippert
First, I want to thank you for all the coaching you have provided over the years, particularly a few weeks ago at Sebring. It really made a difference.

Second, I want to congratulate you for being one of the few people who successfully live life on their own terms. It is truly a wonderful thing that you have the courage at this stage of your life to pursue another dream, and I have no doubt that it will prove to be a wonderous and successful experience.

Most people, when they get to the point, as we all eventually do, of being forced to sit in the rocker on the porch, will think back on all the things they wish they would have done. Then there are the rare few who will sit and reflect on the memories of the wonderful things they have done. You are firmly in that latter, rare group and I respect that immeasurably.

So, as you sail off with fair winds and following seas, I wish you the fondest farewell and godspeed.

Wally:
It would be very hard to improve on what Dick said. See you at Daytona next week where we look forward to give you a proper send off.
Old 04-05-2007
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Hey Wally,

I know it's been a couple years but wanted to say thanks for all the great times, stories and teachings when I was driving in the Southern Series. It sounds like you have a great voyage ahead and I'm looking forward to catching up with you in the islands one of these days.

Arrgh the best,

Gary
Old 04-05-2007

Tom, There are many bareboat companies down there. I chartered a new Lagoon 380 S2 over Christmas in the BVIs ( the site of my awakening ). My boat, however will only be captained by me. There is really no reason for me to bareboat it. Where would I stay ?
Hope to see you and Fern soon.
Wally
Old 04-05-2007

Wally!

Like everyone I'll miss seeing ya trackside. Thanks for all the fun times and all the great advice. Good luck with where ever the wind takes you. Hopefully our paths will cross again one day, sooner rather then later. We'll miss ya!

There were two whales swimming around the ocean one day when one whale said let's have some fun.

A ship was sailing above them so they decided to tip it over by blowing huge airbubbles through their blowholes.
All the men on the ship flew into the water. The first whale said let's eat them.
The second whale replied "Look the blowjob was fun but there's no way in hell i'm swallowing any seamen."
Old 04-06-2007
Petey's Dad

Gallery Images: 54

Wally,
You are one of the major reasons why my time at SBR has been so delightful. Thank you for all that you have done for my driving, my joy at the track and my sanity!

WE are extremely happy that you now have the chance to persue your dreams off the track. Once you are settled in let me know, I look forward to a journey on your vessel with my family soon.

All the best to you on your new adventure, BE SAFE and BE HAPPY!!

Peter & Petey
Old 04-06-2007

Thanks, Pete. You are a character... in all the best ways.
Just heard good news. Sid, Christine and Ryan are extending their Florida vacation so they can come to the banquet.
You should come down for the race. Dom, Lippert, Libby, Greist, and other Masters are coming to Daytona. I'm going to see if they will let me race in the Masters Memorial. Could be fun.... "Old Folks Boogie and boogie they will, when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill." ( Little Feat )

Wally
Old 04-07-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
And sometimes when one chooses "the path less traveled", they end up wandering aroung the woods alone.
Wally, I wish I had gotten to know you better. Maybe I can come down South and learn something from you about the "path less traveled"....I've taken a few tentative steps in that direction but it sure takes extraordinary strength of purpose to stay on it.

Thanks for all the incisive feedback over the past year. I know this will turn out to be one of the most incredible times in your life...may you have a full sail and fair seas wherever you wander.
Old 04-07-2007

Thanks, Slowhand.
I have few, if any regrets, but I'm not sure I would recommend wandering around the woods all the time.
Besides determination, it doesn't hurt to be a little nuts.

Wally
Old 04-07-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
I'm not sure I would recommend wandering around the woods all the time.
I don't think it's a path you pick. I think it picks you. Just something inside that keeps bugging you until you listen to it.
Quote:
it doesn't hurt to be a little nuts.
If a lone nut falls in the woods, does it make a sound?

See you in Daytona.
Old 04-07-2007

Slowhands,

"It doesn't hurt to be a little nuts, as long as you don't have little stones."

A quote from the Wally Llama's autobiography, " The World Is My Spitoon".
Old 04-07-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Quote:
A quote from the Wally Llama's autobiography, " The World Is My Spitoon".

Here's a funny one Wally!
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	wally flyin 2 small.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1849  
Old 04-07-2007

Yubininski,

That's funny !!!
Old 04-08-2007
Big Dick

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what Wally thinks he is controlling with that thing?
Old 04-08-2007

Dick,

A UFO, perhaps.

WB
Old 04-08-2007
Big Dick

I see those too; sometimes I'm pretty sure I've ridden in them. We must have had the same pharmacist in the 60's.
Old 04-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlippert
I see those too; sometimes I'm pretty sure I've ridden in them. We must have had the same pharmacist in the 60's.
Maybe that explains the whole fighter pilot thing.
Old 04-09-2007

Yes, and I believe his name was Timothy Leary.
Old 04-16-2007

Well, I drove back to Sarasota from Daytona after a great week. The racing was good and I was having fun being there and talking to everyone.
Sid and his family, Pete Argetsinger, Carl Lopez, Don Van and his son, Aaron Hollander, Murray and Michele Marder among others all came to the banquet last night. Doug Harrison and Todd Snyder made another entertaining video that included some funny Wally footage.
Dave Libby raised $19k for the mechanics, and I gave a weeks charter on my boat to the cause. Nick and Joanie Spencer were the high bidders, so I will be seeing them at some point in the islands. The mechanics were very appreciative of everyone's generosity. They are a particularly good group of men and women this year.
All in all it was a great time, and I want to thank everyone once again.

Ciao !

Capt. Wally
Old 04-17-2007
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Hey Cap'n

Glad you enjoyed the video, Pat Daly was a big help as always. Unfortunately I forgot to include some people in the credits and I want to thank Ashlei, Carl Lopez and Sue Auriemma for the classic Wally photos they sent, the pics rounded out the video nicely.

It has been a lot of fun getting to know you over the last few years, thanks for your instruction, guidance, humor and friendship, you are one of a kind, you will be missed.

As the cold refuses to release its grip on the northeast this year, my thoughts drift often to a Caribbean sailing excursion. I will keep your charter website link in my favorites for a quick escape.

Sail on Sailor -

Doug
Old 04-17-2007

Doug,

As always you and everyone did a great job on the video. I was surprised at some of the photos you included, and the video of the Dean 441, like mine, was a big surprise.
I would like a copy of the video. It was very special to me.

Thanks and I'll see you in the islands.

Wally
Old 04-17-2007
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

I have your copy ready Walt, email me your mailing address and I'll get it to you along with
the Wally chapters from last year

Being a Captain you really need an appropriate avatar.....2 choices
Attached Images

Last edited by cdh; 04-17-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2007

Wally,
I would liked to have seen you again at daytona but I was out of town. I did not spend as much time at skip barber as others have and I do not know you as well as many, however you did my three day school two years ago this past November at moroso. I always thought you went out of your way to give me advice when I happened to be at the weekends you were coaching. In my first year when I was hitting allot of crap and to often not finishing you were one of the few who thought I was capable of allot more. I always remembered and appreciated that. Whether or not you were right still remains to be seen!
As I said I don't know you as well as others but this new career seems to very much suit you. Very much an adventure! Have fun and take care of yourself, and thank you.

Richard

Bookmark This Thread