Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 08-03-2010
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

HANS device Question

Hey guys, new here and I did a search already. Just looking for a definitive answer.

I've been asking around and also searching this website, but I still can't figure out what model HANS device to get, the 20 or the 30.

The HANS website says 30 (based on me being skinny and driving a formula car). The lady at HANS told me a 20 might be better. One of the instructors at skip at laguna said go with what HANS says. Guys on this forum are saying the 30.

Lots of confusion, I'm leaning towards the 30 though and I hear it can still be used in regular cars. Any input on your side?

Thank you.
Old 08-03-2010
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Re: HANS device Question

Hey, this is Keith, an east coast instructor. I drive both sedans and formula cars and personally, I have good luck with mine in both. I bought the sports car angle, as that is what HANS suggested. I do need to adjust the tensioners a little bit, but it is not much.
Old 08-03-2010

any idea how the 30 feels in a sports car?
Old 08-03-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92 View Post
Hey, this is Keith, an east coast instructor. I drive both sedans and formula cars and personally, I have good luck with mine in both. I bought the sports car angle, as that is what HANS suggested. I do need to adjust the tensioners a little bit, but it is not much.
Exactly the same for me. I tried both (borrowed friend's) in both cars. When I used the 30 in sports cars, it banged against the back of my helmet. The skinnier you are, the more this may be a problem, if you are thick-chested, it may not. I got advice on getting the 20 for both from HANS and from an instructor/ pro racer.
Old 08-04-2010
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

I would support the personal choice category. I use the 30 angle model in formula cars and sports cars, and have no issues in either. What works for Harsha and Keith and what works for me are different, probably because our body types are different, as are our personal preferences.

Seems like you might want to try both for a session and see what works for you.

I am surprised HANS would recommend 20 for formula cars, as the back of the device could protrude rearward and make contact at an angle with the headrest, depending on the car and your body type. A potential rear impact should be considered.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 08-08-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Seven years ago when I bought mine HANS was recommending the 30 and I've used it for seven years in Skippy, spec Miata and MX-5 cars with no problem. The number stands for the degree of angle. 20 degree HANS is for very severe lay down angles like old formula fords etc. My vote is for the 30 but body type and height, as Gerardo suggests, may play a part in determining what works best.

Pat
Old 08-09-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

HANS website graphic here:

http://hansdevice.com/HANS-Pro-Series-Items
Old 08-09-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Thanks Harsha,
I remembered wrong. It was the 40 degree I was thinking about for vintage FF cars etc. Interesting that they now say the 20 degree is good for most cars. That was not the case when I bought mine many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Old 08-11-2010

I'm going to have to some how try them out I guess. Though the 30 seems like the option I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Bookmark This Thread