Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 02-22-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Pet Hanfords and Bumper Stickers

Although "victimized" myself by the new appendage on the vertical stabilizer of the Skippy Formula Z-mobile (a missed shift at Bishop's Bend allowed the soon-to-be-famous Luca Orlandi to creep to within Hamster range on the last lap of Race 1) I am a big fan. And it sounds like there were many others, including the great Bobo, who can "walk away" with best of 'em. This is Racin'!

But us newbies who have known nothing but slick Adrian Newey aero packages need some help in figuring out what to do with this new toy from Santa Sid and Chief Elf Matt F. And Lee Englebardt's unfortunate encounter with the Turn 17 tire wall while being towed in at 7 mph faster than ever before shows that there is more to this than meets the eye. So I ask you grizzled veterans, learned instructors, restrictor-plate racers: What is this thing you call "The Draft?" How do you use it? Is it All Good? Or can it be used for Evil? What are the subtle nuances of playing with this invisible Force? And Grant R., can I practice in my street car?
Old 02-22-2007
Punisher
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Wink Re: Techniques of the Draft

This is not to be discussed. By anyone.

I've won too many races through drafting strategery to let the cat out of the bag.
Old 02-22-2007
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Techniques of the Draft

A pity we'll never get any insite into how to register fastest lap of the race with a dop car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreist
This is not to be discussed. By anyone.

I've won too many races through drafting strategery to let the cat out of the bag.
Old 02-22-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
A pity we'll never get any insite into how to register fastest lap of the race with a dop car.
Me thinks you will, especially with your move into the Champ group. Simply follow Master Greist, who likely knows a thing or two about breaking your draft too. Just do as he does --- if you can!
Old 02-22-2007
Grand Master

One of my favorite self deprecating racing quotes came from the resonant accented voice of Dom Bastien three years ago at Sebring when, as Dom assessed his chances in his assigned race group, clicked down the list of competitors and considered his view of their cars on the track,
-"Tailpipe..."
-"Tailpipe..."
-"Tailpipe..."
(Pause)
-"Won't even see his tailpipe..."
(Pause)
-"Tailpipe..."
-"Tailpipe..."
-"Tailpipe..."

It's still one of the funniest unique assessments I've ever heard.

My current skill level in relation to both Griest's is... "Won't even see their tailpipe's..." but the fun will be in trying. It will be a sunny day indeed if I ever get out of a skippy car having just held the draft of either of them. There's lots of work to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie
Me thinks you will, especially with your move into the Champ group. Simply follow Master Greist, who likely knows a thing or two about breaking your draft too. Just do as he does --- if you can!
Old 02-22-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
-"Tailpipe..."
-"Tailpipe..."
-"Tailpipe..."
(Pause)
-"Won't even see his tailpipe..."
(Pause)
-"Tailpipe..."
-"Tailpipe..."
-"Tailpipe..."
It's still one of the funniest unique assessments I've ever heard.
Pat, that is one of the most hilarious monologues ever-- like out of a movie! One for the archives.
Quote:
My current skill level in relation to both Griest's is... "Won't even see their tailpipe's..." but the fun will be in trying. It will be a sunny day indeed if I ever get out of a skippy car having just held the draft of either of them. There's lots of work to be done.
You're a modest man, Pat. I have a feeling that it won't be long before you're peekin' over their hamster...
Old 02-22-2007
Grand Master

Perhaps someone will print up and sell for the mechanics fund a 3 inch high bumper sticker that simply says "Kiss My Hamster..."
Old 02-23-2007
Lost In Asia
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 23

Yeah, I hated the draft with Skippy cars.

On tracks like Road America with long straights, it makes it quite difficult to get away from the pack. If someone is even a hundred feet behind you, with the draft, they can pass you on the very next straight! I remember a lot of races at Road America where the lead would change every straight, unless the leader used some "creative blocking!"

It's actually quite easy to use, just follow the car in front of you, closer and closer till you have the speed to pass him. Things to remember:

-1 Passing: As you get closer and closer to the car in front, start preparing to pass him. Don't be right behind, start inching to a side so you can get ready to pass. If you wait too long, you may get sucked right into the car in front! (I believe there is a video of Todd Snyder "Taking Off" doing something like this on the TJR site.) At the same time, you want to stay behind the car as long as possible, to get the most amount of speed.
Note: You may have to "Fake" left or right if the driver in front wants to block you.

-2 Braking: Next Braking zone, you'll have to brake earlier, as your top speed will be higher, so expect that.

-3 Downforce: If you are drafting close through a high speed corner, be prepared for less grip, since you'll have less Downforce. And if you are Braking, while Drafting, you'll have to Brake early for both the increased speed, and less Downforce available for Braking. With Skippy cars it's not that much of a problem, but when you move up to Formula Renault, F-3, Atlantic and such, it becomes a bigger issue.

That is all the main points I can think of for now.

For practice, get a friend, and rent a couple of similar cars with full insurance. Then get on the highway late at night, and get ready for some NASCAR style "Bumper Drafting!"
1: Drive each car separately, and note the top speed
2: Drive both cars together, single file.
3: Have the car from behind get closer and closer to the car in front till the bumpers are touching
4: Have the car from behind start pushing the car in front, both cars Full Throttle
5: Note top speed now

Theoretically, the cars should go faster now (assuming the speed limiter is not working), since two cars is more aerodynamic than one

Another way to notice the draft, is when following a Semi Truck on the highway. The closer you get, you'll notice you have to use less Throttle to maintain the same speed. If you have a gauge on the car to monitor the MPG, take a look at that too.

Have a happy. .
Vinay

PS: I do not recommend trying "Bumper Drafting" on public roads, and or with road cars! Nor do I recommend following anyone too close on the highway, as you can never know what they will do.
Old 02-23-2007
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

It is patently obvious to me that you guys have never driven a 1963 VW microbus pulling a Formula Vee on an open trailer. Anyone who has can tell you whole lots about semis being the only way to get the damn thing up over 50 mph.
Are you really sure you want to practice bump drafting on a public highway? Don't think so. Ask MHP. No. Wait. That was at a traffic light. Never mind.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 02-23-2007
G-force junkie

hey oldredracer-- we must have been separated at birth. Love your new avatar-- no sunset could be as beautiful.
(...although, I never have been drawn to a Formula Vee...)
Old 02-23-2007
Grand Master

Vin,
Lee Englebardt was sadly the poster child this past weekend for the consequences of what you mention below and would have benefited greatly from this advice. Lee drafted into turn 17 at Sebring behind Jay Fuchs during his first race without full anticipation of the draft or down force issues and flew over Jay's car into the tire wall with enough force to hit and break his wrist on the side of the car. (He'll have a cast for about 6 weeks) The hamster device allowed much higher top speeds for two cars in line and it was so easy to carry more speed and less down force into that corner in the heat of battle without realizing it that Lee got caught out. We're glad he's OK except for the wrist and we'll all benefit from paying extra attention to the side effects of draft and down force as we zoom forward with the hamsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
It's actually quite easy to use, just follow the car in front of you, closer and closer till you have the speed to pass him. Things to remember:

-1 Passing: As you get closer and closer to the car in front, start preparing to pass him. Don't be right behind, start inching to a side so you can get ready to pass. If you wait too long, you may get sucked right into the car in front! (I believe there is a video of Todd Snyder "Taking Off" doing something like this on the TJR site.) At the same time, you want to stay behind the car as long as possible, to get the most amount of speed.
Note: You may have to "Fake" left or right if the driver in front wants to block you.

-2 Braking: Next Braking zone, you'll have to brake earlier, as your top speed will be higher, so expect that.

-3 Downforce: If you are drafting close through a high speed corner, be prepared for less grip, since you'll have less Downforce. And if you are Braking, while Drafting, you'll have to Brake early for both the increased speed, and less Downforce available for Braking. With Skippy cars it's not that much of a problem, but when you move up to Formula Renault, F-3, Atlantic and such, it becomes a bigger issue.
Old 02-24-2007
Punisher

Wink Re: Techniques of the Draft

My car at Sebring was good off the corners but lacked top end. That was its chief deficiency. Getting a good tow one lap compensated for the lack of horsepower.

Also, I'm exceptionally good at going through the corners.

Old 02-24-2007
Grand Master

It does seem you hardly slow down for them...

Perhaps its the intoxication of having four contact patches instead of two...

Quote:
Also, I'm exceptionally good at going through the corners.

Old 02-24-2007
Punisher

Yes. And having 1300 lbs. of metal to protect me from scrapes.

But seriously, cars that draft is a good way to equalize competition. I endorse the new wing package.

One tip I can offer is to try to figure out the "draft sequence" for a particular track. For instance, ask the question, if I pass on straight X, or into corner Y, where will I be relative to my competition at the start-finish line? If you think through these types of scenarios and execute passes at the right times, you'll likely end up in front at the end.

It's also important to consider multiple car scenarios. Before the Sunday race at Sebring, I considered how the final lap would play out if two, three, or four cars were involved, and tried to think of what to do if I were in different positions on the track. At drafting tracks, it's almost always essential to not first going into the final lap (unless it's raining, of course).
Old 02-24-2007
Grand Master

This was true on Sunday as I'd draft pass before 17 and lead across start/finish and then get passed into one. On the last lap my nemisis led into one but got all crossed up into 3 and the carousel. Since we were not under pressure from behind I took no advantage of some easy opportunities to pass early in the lap in order to have proper position for the draft pass between 16 and 17 on the last lap. It worked pretty much as planned and though we only led the race for a small part of each lap it was the part of each lap that counted.

Quote:
One tip I can offer is to try to figure out the "draft sequence" for a particular track. For instance, ask the question, if I pass on straight X, or into corner Y, where will I be relative to my competition at the start-finish line? If you think through these types of scenarios and execute passes at the right times, you'll likely end up in front at the end.

It's also important to consider multiple car scenarios. Before the Sunday race at Sebring, I considered how the final lap would play out if two, three, or four cars were involved, and tried to think of what to do if I were in different positions on the track. At drafting tracks, it's almost always essential to not first going into the final lap (unless it's raining, of course).
Old 02-24-2007
Irrational National

Gallery Images: 815

We all know the draft speeds up your car as you follow another car. We also know that this effect is greater when there are multiple cars ahead of you.

When to pass, what line to choose, where to place yourself in a pack, is all part of a fantastic chess game.

Like the real game of chess, it takes loads of experience to play the game well. You must first be a good driver alone. Then, you must race enough to be a good driver in traffic, which includes making good decisions on car placement.

The most experienced drivers not only consider how their car will interact with other cars. They also consider how other cars interact with each other. Your car placement can cause other cars to interact in ways that are favorable to you. This takes a great level of experience because you spend less than 10% of your mental energy driving your own car.

Hang in there. You will learn it. These things take some time, and fortunately, the learning process is a ball of laughs!

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 02-24-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

There is no one more excited about drafting than myself. Having spent 88-94 racing the fords on many many tracks my biggest disappointment when I came back last Feb 06 was the lack of draft.

One example of the draft strategy at RA in the old days.
At RA we used the short course with the hay bale corner being the last before the checker. Back in those days P2 or P3 exiting the kink was the place to be, given the back straight was actually curved P4 was not the place to be. If in second I would create a 1.5-2 car gap before the entry of the kink, then flat through the kink and most times P1 would slowly drift right after the exit to semi block the inside.Of course with the draft, if it was setup properly you could blow by on the outside and then slowly move to the middle for Canada, forcing P2 to give up or be left with a dive bomb all the way inside, or on the outside. That is one of many RA strategies I used when things were setup perfectly.

I could go on and on with a dozen reasons why drafting is better, more fun, teaches race-craft, teamwork, trust etc.

Another facet of drafting is the ability of 2-3-4 or even 5 drivers working together to pull away from the pack vs battling each other in the brake zones. The leap frog technique is one way of working together... maybe John G could comment on his experiences?

I would assume at RA full course the back straight is not the place for the last lap pass, likely the Billy Mitchell bridge area will be the start of some drafting into the final turn. It may even be possible to draft by before the checker???

After a very very disappointing weekend at the Sebring race, I was considering going back to retirement. However after thinking it through a few days later I decided that is not the way I want to go out. The new wing and ability to draft made my decision a little easier. I will finish the season and have already booked some midwest races including VIR which I have never been to.

don

P.S. Watkins Glen with the draft will blow your mind
Old 02-25-2007
G-force junkie

So, here's a question:

We know that 2 cars drafting are faster than one car by itself. But what about 2 cars side-by-side? Do they attain the same speed as they would if they were alone, or is there an interaction of the airflow that actually makes them slower when running side-by-side?
Old 02-25-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

It's all about the hole in the air, I never found side by side to be any slower or faster. What it does do is definitely help those behind the two cars
Old 02-25-2007
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

I have been reading all the commentary about the retuurn of the draft to Skippy racing and I want to ask about the issue of two cars being faster than one with the draft.

I t seems obvious that the hole in the air makes things quicker for the car behind but I have heard it said more than a few times that the car in front benefits from this as well. Now if we are talking NASCAR where the trailing car actually makes contact with the lead car and pushes I can see how that would make both quicker.
If two cars are passing each other in turn on successive straights I can see how both would get quicker lap times if they are not tripping over each other and getting off line to make the passes.

What I do not understand is what some have told me ie that the lead car in a draft is somehow aided aerodyanamically by having a drafting car behind and therefore is getting an aerodynamic push from behind. Now I have seen the kiddie races where there were some nose cone to gearbox pushes going on but I find it hard to understand how absent car to car contact there is any immediate benefit to being in front of one or two drafting cars.

I am pretty sure I understood these statements correctly. I just do not understand how it could be so. Anyone care to comment?
Old 02-25-2007

Gallery Images: 122

The aero load is shared. If there are two cars in line, the car in front will have less drag acting against it as the second car approaches. The key for the second car is to use the draft to carry more momentum and inturn pass the car in front. Having a draft doesn't guarantee a pass. But I am sure there are some on this site who could explain it better.
Old 02-25-2007

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey Pietz
...I want to ask about the issue of two cars being faster than one with the draft...
Jeffrey, as a single car (or ship, or airplane) travels through a fluid medium (air counts as a fluid to engineers) it builds a area of high pressure on the leading edges at locations we call stagnation points. These are the points or planes were the fluid must be directed around an obstruction. This behavior is predicted by the Bernoulli Equations for the conservation of energy of flow along a streamline. As the air passes the end of the car it tumbles across the rear of the car, creating a low pressure area in its wake. The differential between the high pressure at the front and the low pressure at the rear is the frictional drag. Now if you tuck a second car into this low pressure zone, the high pressure from nose of the second car cancels out some of the low pressure and the differential pressure goes down. Essentially, you have created a vehicle with only one nose and one tail but twice the horsepower. You don't go twice as fast because you have doubled the drag from the skin friction. The ocean freighter designers figured this out in the mid 1800's, learning they could build ships twice the length but the same frontal area as earlier designs that required only a small power increase for similar performance.
Old 02-25-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands
So, here's a question:

We know that 2 cars drafting are faster than one car by itself. But what about 2 cars side-by-side? Do they attain the same speed as they would if they were alone, or is there an interaction of the airflow that actually makes them slower when running side-by-side?
Bernoulli again. Skin friction increases with the square of velocity, so, for example, double the velocity results in four times the friction. Because you are cramming more air into the slot between the two cars the velocity increases. Since the velocity goes up, the friction increases, so both cars go slower than if they were not side by side. Skippy sidepods are relatively small and tucked well inside the tire track, so I don't think there is enough surface area in close proximity to make a lot of difference in these cars. I would consider it to be mostly a NASCAR phenomenon - slab sides and high speeds.

Another effect of two cars running side by side at speed is as the velocity of the air increases in the slot the pressure drops, so the higher pressure being exerted on the opposite side of each car will tend to push them closer together. If you have ever ridden in a high speed train you have experienced this effect when they lurched toward each other as they passed while traveling in opposite directions.

Last edited by Rosso; 02-25-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2007
G-force junkie

Thanks, Rosso
I knew there was someone out there who knew what was going on. But who's this Bernoulli character? Friend of yours?
Old 02-26-2007

Quote:
Thanks, Rosso
I knew there was someone out there who knew what was going on. But who's this Bernoulli character? Friend of yours?
My God, man, unless you have a couple of idle hours on your hands to kill, don't EVER ask an engineer or mathematician who Bernoulli was! Kind of like asking Scotty just how the warp drives work... For one thing, there were a half-dozen or so Bernoulli brothers, sons, cousins, et al, who have significant theories, principles or equations named after them. But, the fluid flow stuff was the work of Daniel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Bernoulli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli
Old 02-26-2007

Daniel Bernoulli lived in the 18th century thats the 1700's for those of you confused. He was Dutch and was most famous for his work in fluid dynamics.
Old 02-26-2007
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

I was surprised to see how big the strip is, was picturing a much narrower one. No wonder it turns the R/T into a Hoover!
The increase in parasitic drag at speed must be huge (Rosso, is it parasitic drag?)

Last edited by cdh; 02-28-2007 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
...The increase in parasitic drag at speed must be huge (Rosso, is it parasitic drag?)
Hush, I'm working on the calc for a helmet-mounted Hamster counter-measure (sorry, will only work for drivers taller than 6'-0") ...OK, OK I get the hint...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
It does offer a nice new spot for bumper stickers:

"I'M SPENDING MY WIFE'S RETIREMENT"
Old 02-26-2007
slidewaysslim
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

I too had a a hampster board encounter! I exited 17 Sebring on throttle before the bridge, so far so good. The problem was with the two cars that made the turn in before me. They did not have near the exit speed. I darn near plowed into the back of the second car due to the extra tow. The closing speeds in a draft situation are beyond noticable!
Old 02-26-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsutherland
Daniel Bernoulli lived in the 18th century thats the 1700's for those of you confused. He was Dutch and was most famous for his work in fluid dynamics.
Ohhhhh.....that Bernoulli. I thought he was referring to Tony "Da Buzz Saw" Bernoulli who ran that chop shop down by the docks. He knew a thing or two about automotive modifications, VIN numbers, and that sorta thing. But I knew ol' Buzzy didn't know nothing about no equations.

(I wuz kiddin,' get it?? Obviously my pal Rosso didn't, cos' he didn't bite! What a shame!)
Old 02-27-2007

Quote:
Ohhhhh.....that Bernoulli. I thought he was referring to Tony "Da Buzz Saw" Bernoulli who ran that chop shop down by the docks. He knew a thing or two about automotive modifications, VIN numbers, and that sorta thing. But I knew ol' Buzzy didn't know nothing about no equations.

(I wuz kiddin,' get it?? Obviously my pal Rosso didn't, cos' he didn't bite! What a shame!)
Geez - still a sucka after all these years. Just like college again, when the popular girls start snuggling up to the engineering students we were just in complete denial. We thought they had an interest in chemistry or calculus, when they only wanted help with some academic project!
Old 02-27-2007
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: DRAFT CRAFT

THANK YOU. Now I will take the opportunity to write an incredible dissertation on drafting. Here it is:

One car tucks in behind another. Two cars can go faster than one.
They divide the air resistance.
The lead car has to floor it to hit 200 mph.
The car behind doesn't. He can go just as fast with power in reserve.
When these two cars come off that last turn,
the car at the back can move out of the draft,
slingshot past the lead car and beat it to the finish line.
He goes straight to Victory Lane.

oh yeah, and don't forget, rubbin' is racin'!
Old 02-27-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso
Just like college again, when the popular girls start snuggling up to the engineering students we were just in complete denial. We thought they had an interest in chemistry or calculus, when they only wanted help with some academic project!
Just so you know up front, buddy, I'm not very popular...
Old 02-28-2007
administrationistperson

OK, I merged/copied/edited the Hamster-Bumper Sticker thread and created a Draft Craft thread.

Please use this thread to continue with drafting questions, comments, ideas, etc. - cdh
Old 02-28-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
When these two cars come off that last turn,
the car at the back can move out of the draft,
slingshot past the lead car and beat it to the finish line.
He goes straight to Victory Lane.
...less'n of course the lead car whacks 'm one (see latest "Pobst Position" in Sportscar for printed info, or any of various MNCS vids)
Old 03-01-2007
administrationistperson

Videos Re: DRAFT CRAFT

Here's a 40 sec. video clip of a 2005 race at Tremblant with an example of a draft. That's Chris "The Pride of Turn Eight" LimeRockRacer Brassard in the orange #58 car, Jim "Rolex" Lowe in the blue #10 car, and Ari G in the #38 is right on my tail, one of my favorite races ever.

Look at how the turbulence created by the 2 cars allows me to catch right up heading down the back straight. Imagine that situation with two Hoovers in front!

Also one of my favorite calls from a corner...that's Billybob Ziegel calling the shots at T10

video

Last edited by cdh; 03-03-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2007

Here we go again! Its always about you and that damn quote!

Can you at least put this link in a format that a Mac can run so we can watch and hear the infamous shout out?
Old 03-01-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer
Here we go again! Its always about you and that damn quote!

Can you at least put this link in a format that a Mac can run so we can watch and hear the infamous shout out?
No, this is about you and that damn quote . Stevie is not in this clip, only Hazzmatt & Billybob. It's just a wmv file, what's the MAC problem? Sy can help you with that thing.

Of course, you can hear Stevie anytime by playing/saving this file

oh, and thanks for the tow LRR

Last edited by cdh; 03-03-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2007

it will work on your mac, just down load windows media. then ask CDH how his pc runs mpeg....
Old 03-01-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsutherland
it will work on your mac, just down load windows media. then ask CDH how his pc runs mpeg....
With either Windows Media Player or QuickTime.
Old 03-02-2007

Windows media palyer works fine...that was a great race!
Old 03-06-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Here's a 40 sec. video clip of a 2005 race at Tremblant with an example of a draft. ...
Look at how the turbulence created by the 2 cars allows me to catch right up heading down the back straight. Imagine that situation with two Hoovers in front!
hmmmm..... one thing puzzles me. with 2 cars side by side blowing a hole in the air and drafting help from behind, to what do you attribute the fact that your position didn't change?
Old 03-06-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
hmmmm..... one thing puzzles me. with 2 cars side by side blowing a hole in the air and drafting help from behind, to what do you attribute the fact that your position didn't change?
  1. It allowed me to close the gap
  2. As stated it was a battle with JLowe and The Pride of Turn 8
  3. Billybob was correct "Oh it's ugly, it's 3 wide...."
  4. Patience paid off, Jlowe went 4-off shortly thereafter in Namerow and I was
    able to sneak by TPOT8 in Turn 8, ironic eh?
  5. I got one of these
  6. I didn't need any more of these.....
Attached Images

Last edited by cdh; 03-09-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2007

I let you by....
Old 03-06-2007
administrationistperson

Videos Re: DRAFT CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer
I let you by....
video 38 sec

Chris, looks like neither of us took Turn 7 particularly well, you gave me an opportunity.

Are you going to VIR? I'm so psyched. Who around this place is gonna be there? OK, maybe it's a bit early to bring it up, 43 days, 3 hours, 20 minutes.....

OK, this was a thread on drafting that I screwed up with bumper stickers..........now it's about VIR.....Sy, there I go again, mea culpa

I'll start a VIR thread
Old 03-06-2007

I was way early in those turns. It must have been all that pressure from CDH!

VIR is not in my future, scheduling problems...

About those hamster bumper stickers....
Old 03-07-2007
G-force junkie

cdh,

I appreciate your detailed, point-by-point, and persuasive response. thanks also for posting the additional video, which clearly shows you pouncing on a rattled LRR whose line(s) through that segment did not come out of Carl Lopez' definitive text. No fair Chris, you didn't drive like that at Sebring when I was trying to get by.... but maybe I just don't look that intimidating in the mirror. Gotta get that snarling hamster sticker for my nosecone next time....
Old 03-09-2007
administrationistperson

Lightbulb Re: DRAFT CRAFT

Now that the Hanford is here to stay and it significantly affects racing dynamics,
here's one idea for a new clinic I would sign up for:

Your New Hanford - Care and Feeding Clinic
A day spent learning all about draft craft (name for clinic?), classroom prelim and lots of track time. Learn strategery of drafting, how it affects brake points, passing, how to avoid being passed, discussion of different track strategies, etc. Would be useful even after new car arrives.

whatcha say?

Last edited by cdh; 03-09-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
A day spent learning all about draft craft (a good name for clinic), classroom prelim and lots of track time. Learn strategery of drafting, how it affects brake points, passing, avoiding being passed, discussion of different track strategies, etc. Would be useful even after new car arrives.
Great, great idea, and long overdue. I'm in.
Old 04-17-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Now that the Hanford is here to stay and it significantly affects racing dynamics, here's one idea for a new clinic I would sign up for:

A day spent learning all about draft craft (name for clinic?), classroom prelim and lots of track time. Learn strategery of drafting, how it affects brake points, passing, how to avoid being passed, discussion of different track strategies, etc.
So.........what happened???? The YNH - CFC was held at Daytona this past weekend, and it was three days, and hardly anyone came! After all the griping about lean Champ groups, my Sportsman grid on Sunday was 6 cars! It was a wonderful chance to cuddle, feed, nuzzle and truly be One With Your Hamster, and to learn the subtle nuances of work and play in hamster society in their natural environment, the long straights and high-banked corners of "The Greatest Racetrack in the World!" After all the mocking, tittering, and general hilarity at the expense of these noble little critters, I would have expected a better turnout for a look behind all those stereotypes. Where were you guys??? Oh well, you missed some great racing on a really fun track!

Bookmark This Thread