Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 08-22-2010
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

forum newbie

So the welcome message says I have to introduce myself:

> Welcome to Skippy Forums. We are asking all new and yet-to-post members to take the time to post a small thread introducing yourself > and sharing your interests.

> When introducing yourself, please tell us things like:

> - How you got into racing.

When I was a kid, I lapped up racing, walking downtown instead of lunch on summer Mondays to get the New York Times to get the weekend's GP results. Ummm, I suppose I have to date myself, but I had to wait 'til Monday for the train to bring the paper from New York. And the races were won by guys like Brooks and Fangio. As soon as I got out on my own, I got an F Modified (a horrendous car that makes me cringe every time I think about it - bored-out Alfa 1500cc Veloce engine in an Elva Mk 2-A body) and tried to race it. I spent a great amount of time in the garage, scrounging parts, fabricating part by hand, made it to the track several times, to the grid somewhat fewer. Then, in 1967, I got a Formula Vee, campaigned that for two seasons, and in the fall of 1968, I was plotting how I could get into Formula Ford. Then I got married in January of 1969. Now, forty-two years later I've finally worked my way back to plotting how I can get into Formula Ford.

> - How you found this website.

The first logical step toward a return to racing was school at Lime Rock (about an hour north of home). I signed up for the August 24th sessions. The process led me to the forums.

> - What vehicles you play with at home and on the track.

- My daily driver is a 2005 Jeep Cherokee lump, acceptable only if referred to as 'my tow car.'
- I'm second owner of a very close to original black '73 911T driver that comes out to play on good days.
- Some day, I'll get my brother's 1938 Rolls 25/30 back on the road. That'll never be more than a driver either, but a terrific driver.
- In between, I squirt around on a '99 BMW R1100S bike.
- I have an off-road scooter that I harness my two huskies to. Some of those rides are the scariest I've ever had on wheels.

> - Your future plans in respect to racing.

Whoa. One step at a time. Show up at school. Beyond that? We'll see.

> - What keeps you busy during the day? Job, School etc.

- Retired mechancal engineer - plenty of useless but fun projects cooking.
- Competitive and recreational canoe poling
- The dogs take up an unbelievable amount of time

> ....or anything else worth sharing.

Naw. Figuring the above stuff wasn't worth sharing, but you asked...

Fred
Old 08-22-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
Re: forum newbie

Hi, Fred, and welcome to the site. Sounds like you will have fun returning to organized driving (perhaps racing? -- but we'll wait and see) and also visiting this site. Please keep us posted on how things go on the 24th.
Old 08-23-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: forum newbie

Hi Fred,

You're in the right place.
We'd love to see pics of your the Porsche, Rolls, bikes and anything else you've got cooking.
Have a great time at your 3 day and do let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the introduction.
Pat

Bookmark This Thread