Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2011
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Hello from IL

So my intro is:

The past three years I've been doing HPDEs with my local BMW CCA and Audi Car Club chapters here in Chicagoland. So far I have 14 tracks days under my belt at several different tracks including Autobahn Country Club, Blackhawk Farms, Putnam Park and Road America (my favorite so far). This past Chrismas my wife gave me a present of the 3-day MX5 racing school at Laguna Seca - I'm scheduled for the May 6 - 8 class. I have no plans to start racing per se, but am really looking forward to learning to be a better driver and to have the chance to drive Laguna Seca. I saw the Monterey Historics there a number of years ago and have been itching to get out on the course. And more and more of my colleagues at the HPDEs are driving Spec Miatas, so it'll be fun to see what they're up to.

My track car is an Audi S5, which is also my daily driver. I really like being able to take a mild-mannered commuter car out on the track and let it do its stuff. Some day I hope to move up to something a little more track-worthy, but for now I think the S5 has more track capability than I do.

By day I'm an engineer/product manager - we design and build connectors and cabling systems for LANs.

Looking forward to next month's class!
Old 04-06-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Hello from IL

Welcome aboard Chip,

You should have a ball at Laguna both enjoying the track and beautiful Monterey. I bet you'll enjoy it enough to want to sign up for an advanced 2-day school at the end of your 3-day just to keep the momentum going. The fact that you've had some track time will only give you more value as you'll be less of a fish out of water from the start.

Keep us posted and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck!

Pat
Old 04-06-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Personally, I dearly love whole Road America and Elkhart Lake experience - but my wife is bored to tears by the place (she fails to grasp the appeal of Jager shots with Stevie D and Harsha at Siebkins basement bar). However, she LOVES shopping in Carmel. She drops me off at the track - Hasta la vista Honey Bunny - Ciao bella Carmel! On that basis of mutual self interest I have been to Laguna Seca more than anywhere else. It's obvioulsly also a great track with a fabulous history and spetacular natural terrain. It's also open all year round, the only Skippy location to do so (maybe the new Atlanta base does that too?) If a spouse or significant other is involved, it's a no lose decision.
Old 04-06-2011
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Hi Chip,

Welcome! Like Pat said, don't hesitate to ask any question you might have about Skip Barber related stuff. There are lots of folks here who are likely to have the answer or point you in right direction.

You're going to LOVE Laguna! What a spectacular track to race on and learn on. You'll be able to bring what you learn back home, have even more fun with your car, and be faster AND safer.

Be sure to come up to Road America in early July for the Skippy race weekend. Skippy stuff is always free to get in (and come and go as you please) even if you just want to watch, and it's really great wheel-to-wheel racing in the MX-5 and the formula cars that's lots of fun to watch. Bring the family too. We're a very family oriented organization with a definite mentality of "the more the merrier." In fact, I'm not sure if it is confirmed for this year, but traditionally when we've held a race weekend over the Independence Day weekend, we would rent a banquet room at the Osthoff for a get together the night of the fireworks. Lots of fun, open bar, free food, great time to meet people away from the track.

Have fun at LS!

Pete

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith
Old 04-06-2011

Yes, in fact my wife and I are staying in Carmel - been there several times, so we know the area. And I agree that Siebkins has a certain ... charm ... that you have to experience first hand. Last time I was there a bachelorette party came through and took the place over - 'nuff said!
Old 04-07-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Hi Chip, what's it been? Well it's been 37 years! We were both at Hotchkiss, class of '74. Welcome aboard the Skippy experience, you'll love it. Hope to see you at a track sometime. Cheekychica is also an alum btw

Doug Harrison
Old 04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Cheekychica is also an alum btw
Hi Doug. Yes, 37 years - and you had to remind me. I just saw the exchange you two had about Uncle Roy. Were you one of his dumplings? I had Mr. Bowen instead. He used to drum every one of the rules form Strunk & White's "The Elements of Style" into our heads, and I still have my very well worn copy with me in my office at work.
Old 04-07-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipB View Post
Were you one of his dumplings? I had Mr. Bowen instead. He used to drum every one of the rules form Strunk & White's "The Elements of Style" into our heads, and I still have my very well worn copy with me in my office at work.
Hi Chip, welcome to the forum. So cool to see two classmates become reacquainted after so many years through the shared passion of motorsport. And please forgive me, I know it is hugely impolite to critique someone you have just said hello to, but it seems the intervening years among the Philistines have taken their toll on your Jedi training. You broke one of the first rules (see bold above).

Last edited by Slowhands; 04-07-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling! :D
Old 04-07-2011

Ouch! Now you know why I was an engineer. But at least I got the possessive right (I think).
Old 04-08-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

You wanna beat him up before or after I do Chip? (then you can explain to me wth he's talking about )

I'll save it for the track, let me know your sked, brother Harsha

Last edited by dalyduo; 04-08-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
You wanna beat him up before or after I do Chip? (then you can explain to me wth he's talking about )

I'll save it for the track, let me know your sked, brother Harsha
Jager shots at 5 paces...

Bookmark This Thread