Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 09-09-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Videos It's time for Monza

Found this, thought I would share. Looks like Skippy racing at the Glen or RA, with 500 more hp.

Old 09-09-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Thumbs up Re: It's time for Monza

Dats a gouda racin' boyz...
Old 09-09-2011
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Re: It's time for Monza

The evolution of F1 over the intervening years is a compelling proxy for all the wonders and wretched excess we've inflicted on our culture.

Imagine what great racing there'd be with spec-chassis Lotus 25s, 1.5 liter atmospheric engines, tight fuel consumption limits, no wings and no chicanes.

Give racing back to the drivers and manufacturers, and point technological advance in a useful direction. Car racing should be able to point to some technological development that benefits mankind beyond the rear view mirror.

--
Fred K
Old 09-13-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K View Post
The evolution of F1 over the intervening years is a compelling proxy for all the wonders and wretched excess we've inflicted on our culture.

Imagine what great racing there'd be with spec-chassis Lotus 25s, 1.5 liter atmospheric engines, tight fuel consumption limits, no wings and no chicanes.

Give racing back to the drivers and manufacturers, and point technological advance in a useful direction. Car racing should be able to point to some technological development that benefits mankind beyond the rear view mirror.

--
Fred K
I like your philosophical bent, but underline the point you make that F1 is only partially about racing. It is as much about applied technological development, and has done its share with disc brakes, aerodynamics, and safety structures among others. I have long felt that carbon fiber is going to be the next revolution in civilian automobiles because of its light weight, once we figure out how to make it more forgiving and less expensive, and to repair it more cheaply. Looks like that's starting to happen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14550710

If I knew anything about it, that's the business I would be in. Demand is going nowhere but up. Watch out when someone builds a factory in India.

As for the rear-view mirror, you perhaps overstate its benefits. Outside of street driving, in racing or its metaphysical application to life its benefit is dubious. As Jenson said after getting past Lewis and Michael at Monza:
"I felt that Michael was moving more than once down the straight. He didn't when I passed him but I was alongside him. I didn't know where he was as I passed him as I closed my eyes. I did that at Spa and it worked so I am doing that from now."
Old 09-14-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K View Post

--
Fred K
I'm with you all the way up to your engine spec. They should be electric.
Old 09-14-2011
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
I'm with you all the way up to your engine spec. They should be electric.
I'm a big fan of Electrathon

http://www.electrathonamerica.org/We...n_America.html

and Formula Hybrid

http://www.formula-hybrid.org/

I've worked and spectated at a few, and I recommend that if people get the chance, they should attend one of the events, walk around the paddocks, look at the cars and talk to the people. You'll see a broad spectrum of design, workmanship, and just plain organization. A couple of years ago in New Hampshire, a Formula Hybrid team could have finished in the top third simply by going to all the meetings, presenting a workable vehicle at tech inspection and making the grid at all the events. Essential lessons for racing and for life.

The take-away message from any of these things is how devilishly difficult they are to get right. To qualify as a transportation energy expert, bureaucrats should be forced to build and race an Electrathon car. Only those on the podium get to debate policy.

The engineering propositions are intricate, and they lead to some interesting races, not in any conventional way of noise and the smell of Castrol R, but in the tension waiting to see whether the designers of the car that's running away from the field had aerodynamics, low rolling friction, energy recovery and drive train efficiency to match the speed.

Electrathon lets competitors race three at a time, and there's sometimes some good wheel-to-wheel contests (until the team leaders stand trackside waving hammers.)

Formula Hybrid runs a couple of cars at a time, but there's no passing allowed except when the passee is flagged into a a stop-box. Less interesting.

The Electrathon Connecticut run-offs are scheduled to be run on the Lime Rock autocross courses toward the end of October.

Subject: E-Car Race - Lakeville, CT - CT Electrathon Challenge
Date: Tuesday, October 25 2011
Summary: CT Electrathon Challenge - October 25, 2011 (8:00 am - 3:00 pm)
- COST: $50.00 per car
- DESCRIPTION: 1/2 mile road course with several elevation changes
- CONTACT: Michael Grella, (860) 567-5811, ths_solar_team@yahoo.com

IMHO either formula points tech development firmly in directions that are applicable to things we need now: lightness, handling, aerodynamics, regen braking, on-board recharging (FH), etc.

I'd love to build a carbon-filament-wound Electrathon car.

--
Fred K.

Tags
1971 , formula 1 , monza

Bookmark This Thread