Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 03-02-2012
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Photo Pic Quiz

What can you tell us about this pic? I have some info, not all....no googoo searching yet
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	quiz-2282012.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	4635  
Old 03-02-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36
Re: Pic Quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
What can you tell us about this pic?
Even the pace car had wings.
Old 03-02-2012
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Well no idea what year but I might have been there... Looks like a late 60's early 70's Lime Rock F5000 race that could have included Skip, Hobbs, Redman, Smothers among others with DJ Cousin Brucie Morrow driving the pace car... But that's a conglomeration of races from that era that I attended over a year or three.

Bob Ziegel or Bruce MacInnes could probably zero it in.
Old 03-02-2012
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

So I'm gonna date this pic as 1971, based on my guess at the pace car being a 1971 Superbird in front of the F5000s.

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith
Old 03-03-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Superbird? Daytona, maybe?

It reminded me that Petty was asked in an interview about the aerodynamics of the Daytona. He recalled that when you got it up to full speed in a straight line it had so much front end lift that you could literally turn the wheel lock to lock without having any noticeable effect.
Why do I have a wonderful picture of how he found that out????
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-03-2012
Grand Master

Don't know why you have a wonderful picture of how he found that out... but I'd love to see it... Unless it's a typo and you meant to say Why don't I have a wonderful picture...

As a sidebar, in the day, there was a local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer just south of Lime Rock on Rt 22 that had 4 or 5 Daytonas prominently parked next to each other nose in next to the showroom so the wings nicely lined up next to each other making a very impressive sight. My recollection is that most if not all of them sat there for a couple of years creating the perfect, "If I knew then what I know now..." memory, as you could have bought the lot of them for a song back then and now have the entire cost of your kids college education, their wedding, their first home and enough left over for a comfortable retirement if you'd held onto them. Who knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Superbird? Daytona, maybe?

It reminded me that Petty was asked in an interview about the aerodynamics of the Daytona. He recalled that when you got it up to full speed in a straight line it had so much front end lift that you could literally turn the wheel lock to lock without having any noticeable effect.
Why do I have a wonderful picture of how he found that out????

Last edited by dalyduo; 03-03-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Gee Pat. No one ever accused me of being subtle before. I should have said 'wonderful mental picture'.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-03-2012
Grand Master

Figured something was missing... Just didn't figure it out correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Gee Pat. No one ever accused me of being subtle before. I should have said 'wonderful mental picture'.
Old 03-06-2012
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Here is the info that went with this pic, but some of you may have seen this already

Photo by: Pete Lyons
Wing things at Lime Rock 1970, the last year F5000 allowed high, suspension-mounted airfoils. Running from 1968, when they were called Formula-As, the brawny open-wheelers lasted through 1976 and made champions of Lou Sell, Tony Adamowicz, John Cannon, David Hobbs, Graham McRae, Jody Scheckter and Brian Redman (three times).

Story/photo linked here

Old 03-07-2012
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Hi- My initial thought- Formula 5000 at Lime Rock circa 1970 was correct.

Photo by: Pete Lyons
Wing things at Lime Rock 1970, the last year F5000 allowed high, suspension-mounted airfoils. Running from 1968, when they were called Formula-As, the brawny open-wheelers lasted through 1976 and made champions of Lou Sell, Tony Adamowicz, John Cannon, David Hobbs, Graham McRae, Jody Scheckter and Brian Redman (three times).

Bookmark This Thread