Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 05-29-2012
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Eek! Wear your seatbelt (and don't drive like an ass) - GRAPHIC VIDEO

Kids keep forgetting to put on their seatbelts (like mine..)?
Do they drive like complete morons (like us)?

Then show them this video of a Saudi street drift gone very wrong - it'll make them reconsider how bad an accident can actually be, even at relatively low speeds (< 60mph).

WARNING, it's VERY graphic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Jn3QbD7NRyY
Old 05-30-2012
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Wear your seatbelt (and don't drive like an ass) - GRAPHIC VIDEO

What tossers....no wait....
Old 05-30-2012
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 14

"Its a relatively low powered, front wheel drive family car on the steeet, what could happen?"... Thats why the only place I feel remotely comfortable without a seatbelt is in a parking lot under 10mph..... But then again, my Husky doesnt have a belt either....
Old 05-31-2012
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Wow, very sad. It is difficult to make people understand the incredible amount of potential energy vehicles can store until they see (or sadly, experience) this kind of tragedy.
Old 06-01-2012
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcote View Post
Thats why the only place I feel remotely comfortable without a seatbelt is in a parking lot under 10mph.....
My worst street incident (infinitely worse than anything I've gotten into on track, and I've mashed some cars), I was moving about 2 mph away from a stop sign and the car that blindsided me was doing about 50 (on a country lane with terrible sight lines and a 9 foot tall corn crop, long story). It is only through sheer luck and the seat belt that I walked away from that. Since that day, the moment I approach the first stop sign at the end of my street, if my belt is not on already, I break into a cold sweat the moment I start looking both ways... I've always been a seat belt wearer since my brother was saved by one from being ejected as a 16 year old new driver back in the days when nobody wore them, he was ahead of his time, thank God. But it's now more than a mental step for me, it's become a genuine physiological reflex.
Old 06-01-2012
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

Yuck
My father-in-law was the Director of GM's Proving grounds before he retired. I had the chance to watch a 30mph "controlled" crash at the Michigan facility.

My first thought was: 30 mph? are you kidding?
This is going to sooo lame.

Standing 15 feet away from that was eye opening! Lots and Lots of energy when a 3500lb car hits an immovable object!

I am a frim believer in TIGHT seat belts

This video may make you queezy, but every driver in my family is going to see it.
Old 06-01-2012
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
...the moment I approach the first stop sign at the end of my street, if my belt is not on already, I break into a cold sweat the moment I start looking both ways...
When shuffling cars in the driveway I find my belt is on without thinking about it, totally auto-reflex. The first thing I do, close door, reach for belt, then ignition. Really can't imagine anyone not wearing a belt, all the safety engineered into a modern car is useless without one.
Old 06-01-2012
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Horrific...

When I was a kid my dad would get a new company car every year or two and I was mightily impressed when his 1962 Buick LaSabre arrived with seat belts. I'd read about the value of seat belts in car magazines so I couldn't wait to put them on. Loved the way they secured me to the car and have never ridden in a car since then without seat belts on. Back then many argued against seat belts with the ludicrous argument that you were safer without them because you could be "thrown clear" of a wreck and survive. This video explains unequivocally why that argument is a very low percentage choice.

In an ironic sidebar... An impressive number of people die each year in NYC taxi cabs because they don't put on their seat belts. When the cab hits something causing it to stop short they impact the plexiglass partition between front and back seat at a lethal speed at worst and a severely concussive speed at best. Some people think the partition makes seat belts unnecessary because it is so close and will "catch" you, not realizing the sudden deceleration into hard steel and plexiglass will actually kill you.

Last edited by dalyduo; 06-01-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2012
Skippy Instructor

Gallery Images: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Back then many argued against seat belts with the ludicrous argument that you were safer without them because you could be "thrown clear" of a wreck and survive.
About 10 years ago, we had an instructor trainee participating in a driving school that I was leading. She actually spouted that exact drivel several times TO THE STUDENTS, and said she knew somebody's brother's best friend's uncle would have been killed for some bizarre reason if he would have had his seat belt on. Needless to say, I had words with her privately, and used it as a "teaching opportunity" in the street talk on the morning of the second day. It's amazing the ideas some people have and obviously, she didn't last long.

"Nothing good has ever been reported about the full rotation of a race car about either its pitch or roll axis." ~ Carroll Smith

Last edited by dalyduo; 06-01-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2012
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
all the safety engineered into a modern car is useless without one.
A very important insight. IMO manufacturers are doing the driving public a disservice by not emphasizing this very point. It feels to me that we are entering an era of a dangerously false sense of security on the part of many, misled by the advertising emphasis on secondary energy-dissipation and redirection solutions such as crumple zones, monocoque engineering, and encircling airbag layouts into thinking that they will be safe without wearing the belt.
Old 06-02-2012

Growing up in the late '60s and '70s, I have clear memories of my Dad, upon taking delivery of a new car every year or two, ordering us to shove the seat belts down into the cushions so they wouldn't be in our way. Which we did, of course. It's completely unbelievable that I survived my childhood. :-)

I started wearing seatbelts in college when urged to do so by a girlfriend who came from a family with a racing background. In my early twenties, when I started flying, it became completely second nature to wear them tight at all times. As my aviation adventures progressed into aerobatics, warbirds, and homebuilts, that instinct served me well on many occasions.

In Skippy cars, as in airplanes (or anywhere else with 4 or 5-point harnesses), my personal mantra is: if you can fully expand your chest and take a deep breath, your shoulder belts aren't sufficiently tight. I reflexively tighten my belts at every opportunity. Every few minutes in the airplane and every lap on long straights in the car. I want to feel absolutely welded to the vehicle - plane or car; it needs to feel as though it's an inseparable extension of my body and will.

My first Skippy event (3-day school at Sebring a few years ago - in the old school cars) ended with a day of the worst rain I've seen in central FL outside of a hurricane. Wow, was it pouring! I was helping my car partner get squared away for his last session and more or less forced him to pull the belts a lot tighter than he wanted. A few minutes later, he managed to spin the car in Turn 1 and hit the wall hard. He was transported to the hospital with, as it turned out, just a concussion and bumps/bruises/etc. He emailed me a few days later to thank me for insisting that he get those belts tight.

Nowadays, my seat belt is on, adjusted, and tight before I start the engine, at home or at the track. I wouldn't pull down the driveway without engaging all available protective devices, any more than I'd ride my motorcycle without ATGATT (all the gear, all the time). I've never been one to avoid activities that others might think dangerous, if they interested me, but I'm all about intelligent risk mitigation. Training, proficiency, and using the best available safety gear.

People who haven't been exposed to the real effects of high-speed impacts, just have no idea of the forces involved. Be careful out there, folks...

Ken
Old 06-02-2012
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
Growing up in the late '60s and '70s, I have clear memories of my Dad, upon taking delivery of a new car every year or two, ordering us to shove the seat belts down into the cushions so they wouldn't be in our way. Which we did, of course.
I remember doing that too. And standing up in the back holding on to the front (bench) seat as my mom drove down the highway well over the speed limit in a tank of a car, a '67 Impala. Crumple zones? Ha!! That thing nearly totaled my Dad's '74 Maverick (one of the first pitiful hunks of new age junk out of Detroit) backing out of the driveway at 5 mph. With barely a dent on its big shiny chrome bumper.
Quote:
It's completely unbelievable that I survived my childhood. :-)
In more ways than one.

Great post, Ken.
Old 06-02-2012

Quote:
...standing up in the back holding on to the front (bench) seat as my mom drove down the highway well over the speed limit in a tank of a car, a '67 Impala.
Yep, that sounds familiar. I used to roll around with my sister and cousins in the back of a station wagon with just a few pillows and blankets for 'padding'. Crazy days.

Ken
Old 06-02-2012
Grand Master

In 1977 I rode with 5 people nonstop from NYC to Indianapolis in a chevy van that had two front seats and an unfinished back with a couple of unsecured chairs, a futon, a bunch of loose gear bags and a moped filled with gasoline and a full spare five gallon can of gas. We were about a 9 out of 10 on the "What could possibly go wrong?!" scale and we never gave it a thought...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
Yep, that sounds familiar. I used to roll around with my sister and cousins in the back of a station wagon with just a few pillows and blankets for 'padding'. Crazy days.

Ken
Old 06-02-2012

Gallery Images: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Really can't imagine anyone not wearing a belt, all the safety engineered into a modern car is useless without one.
Speaking to that, the new Prius C I just worked with (yeah, I know, save the jokes) :P, actually has airbags in the front seat cushion bottoms. To help stop a person from "submarining" below the belts. Pretty slick, nice to see safety engineers kind of thinking outside the box, and not just sticking with the status quo....
Old 06-03-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

this raises some interesting points -- how often are the skippy belts replaced?
i often find them losing their grip and having to retighten during a session.
Old 06-03-2012
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
this raises some interesting points -- how often are the skippy belts replaced?
i often find them losing their grip and having to retighten during a session.
Skippy belts are 1940's technology in both materials and latch mechanisms. You find the same belts in B-25s left over from WWII. The latches stick, and can be impossible to open yourself after a session from the reclined position if you've tightened them the way you should, especially for the less experienced whose arms are tired from hanging on to the wheel too tight. I often had to get a mechanic to yank on the latch to get out (no weakling jokes please). Not safe if you need to get out in a hurry on your own on a remote stretch of the track. (Sometime ask me to tell you my Road Atlanta backstretch story.)

Plus they loosen as you say, because it's hard to get the lap belt as tight as it really needs to be before tightening down the shoulder ones, and because the material stretches a lot with heat during a session. Clearly these are the least expensive belts on the market, they badly need to be upgraded to modern belts and mechanisms. Which would even look better.

But don't count on it.
Old 06-03-2012

Quote:
Not safe if you need to get out in a hurry.
On my first aerobatic lesson, lo these many moons ago, I asked the instructor how we'd be able to extricate ourselves from the airplane in a hurry, should the need arise. He succinctly responded, "You'll be really motivated!"

Quote:
Plus they loosen as you say, because it's hard to get the lap belt as tight as it really needs to be...
My favorite lap belts in newer aerobats (Pitts, Extras, etc.) incorporate ratchet mechanisms to aid in achieving and maintaining the proper tightness. In warbirds, however, one is often dealing not only with 1940s technology, but with actual 1940s belts! Ah, the sacrifices we make...

Ken
Old 06-12-2012
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Usually with videos like this a lot of people cry "photoshop" Fake! etc.. no such posts here, sure they were being stupid as fhk but I dont enjoy seeing anyone suffer. yea its a heavy vid. ninja..
Old 06-14-2012
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...s_TM4X0f8#t=6s Have a look at this track "safety" would you like to be this loose? this wouldnt be acceptable for a roller coaster, let alone f1 track....ninja
Old 06-16-2012
Grand Master

Happy to report that all the belts and latching mechanisms in the open wheel cars being raced at Mont-Tremblant this weekend were replaced with brand new belts and latches. Gerardo and MHP tested them and all the racers this weekend used them. In the Carol Shelby Memorial a spinning car in turn four pushed Gerardo off track and heavily into the tire wall. It was quite a hard hit so he tested the belts more strenuously than anyone else this weekend. He popped out of the car praising them and describing how well they protected him.

First, great to see the new belts in the cars and second to see the guys who wear them most applaud them and finally to see them do their job and save one of those guys in race conditions.

Great to see new belts and latches in the cars.
Old 06-18-2012
G-force junkie

Good to hear. Any pics?

Bookmark This Thread