Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 09-09-2014
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 12
Road America Lapping

After almost 7 long months, I'll be back in the formula car for day 1 of lapping at Road America on 10/1! I've always wanted to drive this course and I'm beyond excited. I'm still saving for my first race but I'm happy for this seat time. Anyone else going to be there? Counting the days!

Mikey
Old 09-09-2014
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Road America Lapping

I'll be there Michael. One of the great road courses. Will look forward to meeting you there. :-)
Pat
Old 09-12-2014

That's great Pat! See you there!
Old 09-12-2014
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Michael,

Enjoy Road America! As Pat said, it's one of the greats.

Here's a lap around the track with Bruno Junquiera in the Elan built Panoz DP-01 Cosworth Champ Car. The lines are pretty close to what you'll do in the Skip Barber car, although your speeds will be slighlty slower.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 09-12-2014

Thanks for the video post Gerardo. The elevation changes really stand out in that video. I'm going to study some of the Skippy videos from YouTube to get an idea of gear selection. Hopefully I'll be somewhat prepared.

Last edited by emd645e6; 09-18-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2014

Pat, I'm going up a day early and am wondering if there is a way I can get in a car with helmet and Hans on so I can adjust my Hans before the Lapping day. I know things are hectic the day of track activity. I have a Hans adjustable model and my last lapping day was my first time using it. It pushed my head forward at an uncomfortable angle and I felt that it was interfering with being able to keep my eyes up. It would be a sweet time-saver if I could stop by the garage the day before.
Old 09-18-2014
Grand Master

If they've got the cars off the trailers and in pit lane or the garages if you ask nicely I'm sure they'll let you sit in one to adjust your HANS. If you don't know what size car you use, XS, AS or A tell them your height and weight and they'll direct you to the right size car. If the cars are off the trailers it shouldn't be a problem. :-)
Old 10-02-2014
Grand Master

Mike had an interesting introduction to Road America today. Seeing RA for the first time his first session was on a slippery cool drying track and he survived that unscathed. His second session went well until dropping a wheel coming out of the carousel and hooking back across the track into the wall. The good news is Mike is OK and he took the liability insurance so the financial hit is much reduced from the actual assessed cost.

Great meeting Mike and seeing his positive attitude despite a tough day. Looking forward to seeing him back at the track in the near future. The journey continues...
Old 10-02-2014

Western Re: Road America Lapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Mike had an interesting introduction to Road America today. Seeing RA for the first time his first session was on a slippery cool drying track and he survived that unscathed. His second session went well until dropping a wheel coming out of the carousel and hooking back across the track into the wall. The good news is Mike is OK and he took the liability insurance so the financial hit is much reduced from the actual assessed cost.

Great meeting Mike and seeing his positive attitude despite a tough day. Looking forward to seeing him back at the track in the near future. The journey continues...
It was very nice to meet you Pat. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm glad that I purchased the liability insurance and I will definitely continue to do so in the future.

I LOVED RA! It's a beautiful facility, very technical, and bad fast. I think I was beginning to figure out the "flow" of the lower speed turns before my incident. I was really tryingtoattack the carousel toward the end of that session and began feeding more throttle a car length or so earlier than I should have and of course that resulted in the understeer and wheels off when I exited.

I knew exactly what I did wrong as I sat in the car waiting for the safety crew. I know I tried to ride it out in a straight line but I decreased power so suddenly and drastically once my wheels were off that it upset the car and there I went spinning across the track, through the bridge, and into the wall.

Is it weird that my thoughts as I headed into the wall gearbox first were: "This is gonna be a big hit!" and "Oh shit, this oneis going to be costly!" I am now the largest advocate for purchasing the damage liability for any event. My damage total was $15'192 so my liability cap was maxxed out. Still, I'd rather pay that than the full price.

What does a Skippy Formula Car cost? I've heard numbers from $30k, all the way to $50k. Does my damage limit go up now like in the race series? I'm still hoping for racing at Sebring in December but funding will dictate whether I get to do that or not. Damn I'm sore...but it was worth every bit of it!
Old 10-03-2014
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd645e6 View Post
I knew exactly what I did wrong as I sat in the car waiting for the safety crew. I know I tried to ride it out in a straight line but I decreased power so suddenly and drastically once my wheels were off that it upset the car and there I went spinning across the track, through the bridge, and into the wall.
Hey Mike - that all SUX. I can say that as I just bought the better half of an arrive and drive Spec Race Ford! Mine was a bit different situation - but still in recovery as well. Glad to hear you're not injured. Me, a plate in the front of my pelvis, an 8" screw across the backside, small fractures in right foot and a real sore butt-bone.

Cheers - Jim
Old 10-04-2014

Oh my gosh Jim! Those are some big injuries. I'm glad to hear that you are getting all fixed up. Which track were you running at?
Old 10-05-2014
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Sebring - Turn 16.
Another car spun in front of the 2 cars I was in close trail with. The car that spun stopped facing wrong way on track. The other two split to each side (left-right), I vainly tried to go right at the last moment. It appeared suddenly through the tire smoke and debris "maybe" about 2 car lengths ahead of me.

Like Bruce said - I kept my eyes open - no time to close 'em! Getting better every day! And a big lessons learned too:
Close trail is a great position to be in -- if you are same size cars - not so much if you can't see past/through them.
Cheers - Jim

Bookmark This Thread