Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 01-02-2006
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Thumbs up Nokian Tires

Just wanted to sing the praises of Nokian (Finland) all season tires. I put them on the SAAB Turbo last spring and was amazed at their performance in heavy rain, fantastic. But that was nothing compared to their performance in snow I experienced on New Years Eve.

We had a good covering of packed snow on NYE for my first test and I am very impressed. It was as though the road was dry, really. Acceleration, braking, cornering, all superb, I can't be too complimentary, amazing! I am very anti-SUV and passing many of those tanks as they slid around was the most fun I've had driving since my last race, .

The Nokians do compromise dry weather performance somewhat but not to an extent that would be noticed by most drivers. When I found their limits on one of my favorite off ramps, they were very predictable and controllable. They are also very reasonably priced, I recommend them highly.

cdh

Last edited by cdh; 01-02-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2006
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Nokian Tires

Nokians are under the radar of most because they don't get distribution by the big tire chains and are even bad mouthed by them because they make more money from their main supplier brand names. Was trying to get a set for my Saab 9000T this year and gave up because the logistics became too problematic.

I settled on a set of Michellin Pilot Alpine PA2's and they've proven exceptional as well. Superior dry handling (considering they are snow tires) Similar experience to Doug. Great grip on packed snow. Exceptional grip in slush & rain. Confidence inspiring enough to drive around most who are creeping and crawling and still leave a safety margin. Good Stuff. Would have loved those Nokians but the Michelin's get the job done for me as a very low percentage of my driving is done in extreme snow conditions.
Old 01-02-2006
administrationistperson

Fetzer Tire Westport, make appointment, bring in car, have coffee at Athena Diner across street, done. I'll meet you there

They are a family owned, single location biz and are great, the kind of service that's getting hard to find.

Your Pilots are full snows? The Nokes are all season but perform like snows, I am amazed. I know, you in the 9000, me in the 900, snow packed parking lot at dawn, cones at 20 paces.....
Old 01-02-2006
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Your Pilots are full snows? The Nokes are all season but perform like snows, I am amazed. I know, you in the 9000, me in the 900, snow packed parking lot at dawn, cones at 20 paces.....
Can I join? My Pirelli Winter SnowSport 210's are gonna kick your butts!

HEY!! I've got a GREAT idea! How about an NYC area SNOW RALLY!!!!??? SERIOUSLY! I'll find us a big parking lot and I'll get the cones! We'll do it on a weekend after decent snowfall.
Old 01-03-2006
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

i'm down for that. i have dunlop wintersport m3's and they are awesome. superior to the pirelli 210's that i used to have and the old m2's
Old 01-03-2006
Hey ya'll, watch this
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6

Can I come? I'll put my drag radials on. :-D
"I'm not a fearful person. There's no feeling in the world that I've had that's like it. You're driving something that's out of control but you're controlling it. What else should I do? Plant flowers in the backyard? Go to a barbecue? I'll do that, but this rocks my world. When you get out of a race car, the grass is a little greener and the sky is a little bluer."
Old 01-03-2006
Grand Master

Let's do it!

Just drove back from Goshen CT (near Lime Rock Park) and its snowing like crazy up there. They could have a foot by the end of Tuesday. (The PA 2's were great in snow, slush and rain...)

We'll meet at LRP, run a few hot laps, and seriously test our winter rubber from a standing start at the bottom of the uphill!

Here's the Tire Rack Survey on winter performance tires.

http://http://www.tirerack.com/tires...sp?type=W&VT=C

Ari's Dunlops are the highest rated on the "Tire Rack" user survey but they don't do Nokian's so the ranking isn't comprehensive. My PA 2's are ranked 3rd. Sy may be changing his rubber before the challenge as his 210's are ranked 7th.

PS Yes Doug, (according to the Tire Rack) "The Pilot Alpin PA2 winter radials meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol.)

Probably not as nobby or grippy in deep snow as your Nokians, but I was loath to put on something that might howl between 60 & 80mph on dry roads and then never get tested in deep snow because my Saab's low front air dam would put me out of business (at 5 or 6 inches of snow) well before the limits of the tires would be reached.

So fa

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-03-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2006
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo
Let's do it!
PS Yes Doug, (according to the Tire Rack) "The Pilot Alpin PA2 winter radials meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol.)

Probably not as nobby or grippy in deep snow as your Nokians, but I was loath to put on something that might howl between 60 & 80mph on dry roads and then never get tested in deep snow because my Saab's low front air dam would put me out of business (at 5 or 6 inches of snow) well before the limits of the tires would be reached.

So fa
Duo - I think you missed my point, the Nokes look like summer tires, behave well in the dry, are quiet running and yet are excellent in rain and snow, truly all season - Sy, don't be too confident, and leave the Blazer in the driveway

Last edited by cdh; 01-03-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2006
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Sy, don't be too confident, and leave the Blazer in the driveway
No, I wasn't planning on using my Bronco - my SnowSports are mounted on my M3. Like I said, I'm gonna kick your butts, even though my tires are ranked only 7th.

Jon, get your Floridian drag tire shod S4 with 900hp up here. Your invitation has been delivered.
Old 01-03-2006
Team OC/AD D

I just remembered - Jimal sent me this last year, but we never got around to doing it.. Check this out, from the Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team. Anyone up for this Sunday?!

http://www.cartct.com/index1.php?center=wintercross.htm
Official C.A.R.T. 2006

Winter Snow-cross Schedule

(All dates are Sundays unless otherwise noted.)
Sun. Jan 8, 2006
Sun. Jan 15, 2006
Sun. Jan. 22, 2006
Sun. Jan. 29, 2006
Sun. Feb. 5, 2006
Sun. Feb. 12, 2006
Sun. Feb. 19, 2006
Sun. Feb. 26, 2006
Weather and surface permitting. Check back for confirmation. A Wintercross is basically an autocross on snow. Vehicles are classed by drive types only. The classes will be:

FWD = Front Wheel Drive
RWD = Rear Wheel Drive
AWD T = All Wheel Drive Truck or Truck based SUV
AWD C = All Wheel Drive Car or Car based SUV. Vehicle classification will be decided at the event by the event chair or the competition committee chairman. Their rulings are final, and not subject to appeal.
This event will be limited to no more than 40 drivers.
We do have a preregistration form at PRE-REG FORM .
DETAILS:
1. All Autocross safety rules apply. This means helmets, no loose items etc. All competitors must be over 18 years of age.
2. NO STUDDED tires allowed. We need to try to keep the lot surface from being damaged, since we use this same location for autocross.
3. Registration will be at 9:00 AM. The standard autocross fee of $20 for members & $25 for non members. No passes.
4. Trucks and cars are allowed to participate. Trucks that can tow stuck entrants are especially welcomed!
No snowmobiles, motorcycles, skis, snowshoes, or tracked vehicles such as bulldozers and other earth moving equipment allowed.
5. Timing will be by stopwatch or our best estimate of your time or when we get tired of waiting for you to cross the finishline. If you need to be towed in, this will be included in your run time. If you hit a cone, your time penalty will be the time it takes you to put it back.
6. This is a FUN event. Dress WARM!
Some photos from previous Wintercross events. Click on the thumbnail to enlarge.

Old 01-03-2006
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
No snowmobiles, motorcycles, skis, snowshoes, or tracked vehicles such as bulldozers and other earth moving equipment allowed.
damn, I was hoping this would be the time to test the MINI Winter / Caterpillar Package, who needs snow tires......
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	MINICatD10R.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	912  
Old 01-03-2006
Grand Master

Yes Doug, I did miss your point. (Cleveland looks so nice in the winter too!) Thought you were speaking of strictly winter snow tires.

Sy, as much as I'd love to... My 14 year old Saab with 129,000 miles, crippling traction control that can't be turned off and a peaky turbo would not be a high percentage choice for autocrossing on snow despite the nifty new winter rubber. (Sure would be fun to try though... Hhhmmm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Duo - I think you missed my point, the Nokes look like summer tires, behave well in the dry, are quiet running and yet are excellent in rain and snow, truly all season - Sy, don't be too confident, and leave the Blazer in the driveway
Old 01-03-2006
Marketing Wonk

I like how everyone calls them Nokians. Guess the spellcheck here chokes on "Hakkapeliitta". I had a set of Hakk 1's on my Golf a few years ago, and them Fins know their snow tires. I also heard that Green Diamond snow tires are really good.

Right now I'm running Winterforce snows from The Tire Rack. Think generic snow tires made by Bridgstone/Firestone.

As for the CART Wintercross, I'm interested, but need to check my schedule.
Old 01-03-2006
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimal Temus
I like how everyone calls them Nokians. Guess the spellcheck here chokes on "Hakkapeliitta".
yes, pretty silly of us seeing how the sidewalls say NOKIAN and the website is http://www.nokiantyres.com/

Dugkos Harrikkonnenem&m
Old 01-03-2006
Marketing Wonk

Darn it. I finally learned how to type "Hakkapeliitta", and they go and reduce their Hakk lineup to one tire model. Chalk this one up to me not being as on top of the local rally scene as I used to be...
Old 01-03-2006
Burger Flipper #2

Gallery Images: 4

And then there is this option as well; http://www.icerace.com/Studs-on-Ice%202005%20Info.htm

This is something I have been meaning to do for years but sadly it never works out. This years I believe I will be in Sebring, but need to check the schedule. It would be fun to go with a bunch of you guys and make a day of it.
Old 01-03-2006

Surprisingly, the Nokians have been getting alot of advertising time on the local radio station in Lakeville: there's a "family-owned" garage on Rt. 7 up in Great Barrington that has been running an ad campaign for them. And don't worry, Jimal, the ad has alot of Finnish yelling and, I believe, the use of the word "Hakkapeliitta".
Old 01-04-2006
WillowCross Racing
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Okay I'm in.

C4S with Dunlop SP WinterSport M2's (265, 35R, 18's in the rear).

Ready...Go!

Yup I win.

On second thought I don't have to go, do I?

I'll pass.

P.S. Everyone

P.P.S. Felzer Tire is next to the Diner not across the street

Last edited by macdod; 01-04-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2006
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdod
P.P.S. Felzer Tire is next to the Diner not across the street
PPPS - MacBuddy, it's

FETZER Tire
3651 Post Rd
Southport, CT 06890

Athena Diner
3350 Post Rd
Southport, CT 06890

yes, across the street and down 200 yds (right on Westport/Southport line)

Are you talking about CT or Mass?????
Old 01-04-2006

Gallery Images: 8

Better yet, lets just leave the summers on all our cars, set up the autcross and see who can really drive in snow without any tires to speak of...sounds like a russian drifting contest!

By the way Temus: "Hakepellitta"...'Bless You"!
Old 01-04-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Ask Ashlei about summer tires and winter driving! She and I got caught in a surprise "snowstorm" in the 996 on Saturday. About an inch of slush on the highway... 4 wheel drive my ass!

Oh, and did I mention drifting around the circle in my cul-de-sac?! Now the neighbors KNOW I am a jackass (something all of you have known all along... yeah yeah, figured I'd beat MacDonald to the punch!)
Old 01-04-2006
Grand Master

I vote for winter tires. Having fractional traction and steering control gets old fast.... even with 4 wheel drive.
Hey! Wait a minute... Did you say You and Ashlei? Hhhmmm... Out making snow angels?... Hi Ashlei.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
Ask Ashlei about summer tires and winter driving! She and I got caught in a surprise "snowstorm" in the 996 on Saturday. About an inch of slush on the highway... 4 wheel drive my ass!
Old 01-04-2006
Grand Master

Here's some surveillance video of Michael driving home in his muscle car and later having some fun with neighbors in the cul-de-sac, in his legends car.

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/vids/generallee.mpeg

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/vids/legends.wmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
Oh, and did I mention drifting around the circle in my cul-de-sac?! Now the neighbors KNOW I am a jackass (something all of you have known all along... yeah yeah, figured I'd beat MacDonald to the punch!)
Old 01-05-2006
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

I only wish.
Old 01-05-2006
Infrequent Flier ;)

We've got plenty of snow up here to drift around in. A few more inches fell over night, another inch or two due to yet fall today. Is the same "storm" hitting New England?

I have something by BFGoodrich on my car now, transferred them from my Matrix when it left me. The best winter tyres I had were Continental Winter Contacts that I received as a "throw-in" with a VW Jetta I bought in 1999. The car sucked, but the tyres were great.

BTW, best wishes to everyone going to the runoffs this weekend!

R
Old 01-05-2006
WillowCross Racing

Gallery Images: 1

CDH,

Right it's Town Fair Tire that is next to the Athena Diner. I stand corrected.

We used to live in Weston, CT so we used to go there all the time.
Old 01-05-2006

Gallery Images: 8

Michael:

The reference to summer tires was all tongue and cheek. They definitely are useless in winter due to the rubber compound and the cold. I have even had trouble with my three season MIchelins on my G35 Coupe in the winter. Snows are the way to go..I just thought that if we wanted to do some other ridiculous things that we should go full boar over the edge. WHy would we do anything safe?

I agree with Pat..Does Juicy Susie know about the snow angel thing?

Chris

Bookmark This Thread