Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 10-03-2008
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

A new Skip Race car?

I ran a couple SCCA races this season in a rented formula E. I rented it from One Formula in Illinois. They own, prepare and bring the car to the track. The cars are well maintained and supported at the track. If you are unfamiliar with the class it is run by SCCA Enterprises to be a spec formula class. Cars are very quick, very reliable and way easier to drive than an F2000. Frankly it makes the F2000 feel like a model T. I read that the Bridgestone School in Canada has changed over to these cars. Seems to me that if SBR is going to stay in the open wheel racing game they will need to make a similar move. After all the hype about a prototype three years ago it seems these cars are off the shelf simple and relatively less costly. Not to mention they have Mazda engines!

It may be useless to bring this up at this point since no one seems to think SBR intends to stay in open wheel but if anything fits the bill as a racing taxi cab I think the Van Dieman FE might fit the bill.

Any thoughts from the shootin' gallery??
Old 10-04-2008
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: A new Skip Race car?

The major cost cutting going on right now across the board suggests no one is going to be investing in new cars until there is a meaningful direction change in the economy and/or new ownership. The RT's will soldier on as the company seems to have gone into short term survival mode. My two cents.
Old 10-05-2008
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

There is a saying: "if you can drive a skippy car, you can drive anything"

My point is, regardless of how modern the car is, it is a great teaching tool and will be for years to come...

Just wish I could drive the damn things more(at all)
Old 10-05-2008
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

A really retro thought, belabored but right: go back to the school cars. Better teaching tool, better race craft car, more fun, lower cost to build and maintain. Or go race an FE or FC which are really neat.

Bookmark This Thread