Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 07-18-2011
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Hello from Singapore

Hi there!

I've taken several HPDEs, or their equivalents, with BMW and Mazda in Singapore, but only got into motorsports for real when I bought my own car, a 2007 MX-5, last year. Since then it's been a voyage of self-discovery and pursuit of perfection...

I take my car to the nearby Pasir Gudang circuit in neighbouring Malaysia regularly, and - once a month - up north about 200 miles to the Sepang F1 circuit. Lots of videos of my exploits at http://www.youtube.com/bayboysg.

My car's a daily driver so I'm keeping the powertrain relatively stock. Playing with the suspension is plenty fun and hugely eye-opening anyway without the distraction of more power. I've also started karting with a Rotax Senior at the local track... what an overwhelming experience the first time - nothing prepares you for the physicality of it all!

I have a sibling who works in New York and I visit regularly. I myself studied on the West Coast in Palo Alto. As I'm going to be in the USA for a while this autumn for work, I'm planning to sign up for Skippy's 3-day Formula race school at LRP and start preparing for what to expect. The road thereafter is unclear at this stage. Am harbouring faint thoughts of seeing if I can snag an SCCA license to race when timings match up in the future, or perhaps racing back home in some way, shape or form.

Some questions I have (most grateful if any veterans could chime in) are:
- Do I need to provide my own helmet or does SBRS loan? (It's not heavy, but it's a chore to ship one amidst all the business luggage)
- Ditto for racing overalls, although this is not a big deal...
- Do students go away with video/data recordings from the in-car telemetry? Can they be viewed on publicly available software for future analysis? (Is it possible to hook up my own datalogger?)
- Do you need a current US driving license to get an SCCA regional license - or will an out-of-country license with int'l driving permit work? Unfortunately I've allowed my CA license to lapse and it's going to be a pain to restore it (if at all possible).

Look forward to lively discussions!
Old 07-18-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Hello from Singapore

Welcome Jason,

- Skip Barber will provide both helmet and driving suit at no cost.
- There is no data acquisition but there will most likely be a video option at a nominal cost.
- Best to speak with a customer service rep about hooking up your own data logger. Probably not a problem... don't know anyone who's asked the question before.
- You'll have to ask the SCCA about their policy on international licenses.
SCCA contact link

At the risk of sounding like a commercial... If you do a 3 day racing school and a 2 day advanced school you'll be qualified to run in any Skip Barber race series event in either the open wheel cars or the MX-5's. The advantage is arrive and drive. Just show up and drive the same cars used in the school programs at world class road courses all over the country. The competition, instructor feedback and support is outstanding. The advantage over SCCA is you don't have to bring your own car and if you have an accident there is limited liability and spare cars so your race weekend isn't interrupted. You also don't have licensing issues because completing both schools qualifies you. The quality of support is also better than the SCCA because you see the same instructors who know your strengths and weaknesses at each racing event.. On top of that the camaraderie and friendships that develop over time only add to the experience. No better way to learn the craft of open wheel or sports car racing.
We have one racer who has flown in from Japan to run at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca every year for the past 15 years.
... And now back to our regularly scheduled programing.
Old 07-18-2011
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Oh, that's plenty helpful already! At least I don't have to worry about how to fit a helmet into a suitcase without damaging either suitcase or helmet :P

The arrive and drive support is precisely the attractive bit I picked up from the Skippy catalogs. With the right timing and enough pre-planning, I should be able to match some events to my travel schedule for a little R&R on the side

Will check with SCCA on licenses Thanks much!
Old 07-18-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
Oh, that's plenty helpful already! At least I don't have to worry about how to fit a helmet into a suitcase without damaging either suitcase or helmet :P

The arrive and drive support is precisely the attractive bit I picked up from the Skippy catalogs. With the right timing and enough pre-planning, I should be able to match some events to my travel schedule for a little R&R on the side

Will check with SCCA on licenses Thanks much!
Welcome, Bayboy! Hope to see you on track.

With regard to the helmet issue, when I fly to a race, I put my laptop in my carry-on and my helmet bag is my "personal item." Usually fits nicely in the overhead, or on very small planes it goes under the seat in front. But I understand the desire not to travel with a helmet unless absolutely necessary, and it's nice that Skip provides them.
Old 07-27-2011
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Welcome Jason,

- Skip Barber will provide both helmet and driving suit at no cost.
- There is no data acquisition but there will most likely be a video option at a nominal cost.
- Best to speak with a customer service rep about hooking up your own data logger. Probably not a problem... don't know anyone who's asked the question before.
- You'll have to ask the SCCA about their policy on international licenses.
SCCA contact link

Oh awesome, its good to know that both helmet and driving suit is provided, I kept asking a few people know if its provided or not and they told me no. But then again they have gotten there racing license elsewhere.

Also was wondering. If I took the Formula Racing school course, Would I get my racing license? Or is there something else have to take? Not really sure how that works
Old 07-27-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Racer View Post
Also was wondering. If I took the Formula Racing school course, Would I get my racing license? Or is there something else have to take? Not really sure how that works
The 3-day school is the first step. After that you need some advanced activities, which is most commonly accomplished by the 2-day advanced school. An alternative is a couple of lapping days or a car control clinic, but that route is typically for those who have raced before and are not pure newbies to driving a race car.
Old 07-28-2011
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

O ok. Thanx for the info

Bookmark This Thread