Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 07-29-2010
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Hello all!

just a quick note to introduce myself, and say hi. my name is mike, and i live in Longmeadow, MA. After about 10 years of wanting to do the racing school i decided to pull the trigger and signed up for the 3 day (formula) school last december with the great discount they offered. I took my class in May at Lime Rock and i must say was very impressed and hooked. I regret not having done it sooner. I was planning to do it after i graduated college but i kept putting it off year after year, then got married, bought a house and that was that. Now i signed up for the graduate discount and am hoping to take the advanced 2 day school in august at lime rock again. I havent actually signed up for it yet, still a little gun shy about the expense, but i have the days off from work, i just have to pull the trigger. If the 2 day is anything like the 3 day, i know it will be an experience to remember.
I have been a fan of racing for years starting with Indy cars with Al Unser Jr, and have moved to be a huge Formula 1 fan. Although i pretty much know at his point racing will be a hobby from time to time, I have always wanted to be a race car driver. At this point i'm not sure what my future plans for racing are, but i know by taking the 2 day advanced course i will be able to do some racing with the skip barber series from time to time. Of course i wil try to explore other options for myself.

Other things about me, i am 34, pharmacist, one child for now.

looks like there is a lot going on on this site with respect to the racing school, and the series' and important information regarding all sorts of topics.

Good Luck,

mike
Old 07-29-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Hello all!

You're in the right place Mike. You won't be sorry for pulling the trigger on that two-day. You'll pick right up where you left off of your 3-day and have a ball with lots of seat time.

The first day of my 2-day I felt like I'd regressed. Wasn't smooth on brakes or gas. We were learning the sequential gear box after using the 4 speed crash box in the old school cars and didn't feel comfortable with that. Everything seemed to be wrong. But a good nights sleep made all the difference and my second day all the stuff I was struggling with on day one became integrated and I still remember running laps with instructors in the cars and that was big time informative and even bigger time fun!

Don't postpone joy Mike. You'll never be sorry.
Old 07-29-2010
That Guy at LRP's Uphill
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Hi Mike!
I'm glad you could find the site-it's cool to discover the community that a supposed "arrive and drive" company can actually foster. I'm just getting amped up for next weekend's Regional and Mazdaspeed Series races at LRP; I'll be flagging (as I had been for your Three Day-or not, if you all kept it on the track [not sure which school you did in particular]!). If it's at all convenient for you the family would be welcome spectators at any point during the races Friday and Saturday; though it'll only pour fuel on that fire...
Welcome!
Old 07-29-2010
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Welcome! There are several on-site threads on what stuff you should have for the school, so I won't bore you repeating that, but I would suggest a pair of elbow pads. I didn't need them in the 3-day school cars, but the RT shifter location and function is just different enough that I bang my elbow on the side of the seat with every upshift.
Old 08-02-2010
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
...a good nights sleep made all the difference and my second day all the stuff I was struggling with on day one became integrated and I still remember running laps with instructors in the cars and that was big time informative and even bigger time fun!...
Yes, Pat, that's more empirical evidence proving my "Gourmet Casserole Theory of Racing Schools." The first day we have a lot of fresh ingredients that we gradually put into a race car and mix together in very precise amounts on the race track. When the mixing is done after the last session of the day, these ingredients "bake" overnight. The next morning, the casserole is done baking but it has cooled, so we need some "warm up" laps to get it ready to use. If we're smart, we do this gradually so the ingredients heat evenly through to the center but the edges don't get burned. That's when the magic starts to happen and it tastes really good.

Of course this applies to leftovers as well. After the casserole has baked and we've partaken in its deliciousness, we put it in the fridge. Yes, we might be thinking about it and it might even be calling our name, but we're not actually eating it. When we come back a few days later, we gradually warm it up again, and voila, it tastes even better! The ingredients that we've so carefully combined in just the right amounts have had a chance to meld together.

Now, it helps the whole process work faster and better if you prepare yourself by reading over the ingredient list and understanding what the basics of each ingredient are. This reminder session reinforces an understanding of the basic ingredients so that we can use them most efficiently and/or make an emergency substitution if the situation warrants.

And there you have it. This, of course, is an abridged version of the full article in bon appetit.
Old 08-02-2010
Grand Master

Based on this tease... I'm certainly hungry for more... when does your book come out? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
Yes, Pat, that's more empirical evidence proving my "Gourmet Casserole Theory of Racing Schools." The first day we have a lot of fresh ingredients that we gradually put into a race car and mix together in very precise amounts on the race track. When the mixing is done after the last session of the day, these ingredients "bake" overnight. The next morning, the casserole is done baking but it has cooled, so we need some "warm up" laps to get it ready to use. If we're smart, we do this gradually so the ingredients heat evenly through to the center but the edges don't get burned. That's when the magic starts to happen and it tastes really good.

Of course this applies to leftovers as well. After the casserole has baked and we've partaken in its deliciousness, we put it in the fridge. Yes, we might be thinking about it and it might even be calling our name, but we're not actually eating it. When we come back a few days later, we gradually warm it up again, and voila, it tastes even better! The ingredients that we've so carefully combined in just the right amounts have had a chance to meld together.

Now, it helps the whole process work faster and better if you prepare yourself by reading over the ingredient list and understanding what the basics of each ingredient are. This reminder session reinforces an understanding of the basic ingredients so that we can use them most efficiently and/or make an emergency substitution if the situation warrants.

And there you have it. This, of course, is an abridged version of the full article in bon appetit.
Old 08-02-2010

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Perhaps this also applies to birthday cakes? A big happy birthday, Peter!
Old 08-02-2010
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post
Perhaps this also applies to birthday cakes? A big happy birthday, Peter!
Thanks, Ted! Naw, birthday cakes just get stale with age.
Old 08-02-2010
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Based on this tease... I'm certainly hungry for more... when does your book come out? :-)
Well, right now I have several publishers fighting over the rights to the first book Taking the Greens. Lawsuits, countersuits, back and forth...you know lawyers...could take years. Once that and the as yet unwritten sequel (code named Going Back for Seconds: a Guide to Shaving Them) rights get sorted out, it shouldn't take long. I'm just hoping I get the sequel done before the suits are settled. You know publishers...pressure, pressure, pressure...

Oh yes...Mike...WELCOME!! You kind of got double hi-jacked there...sorry. Anyway, if you have a question, this is the place. There are lots of race-series regulars here like the guys that have posted in this thread, as well as instructors. Ask away! You WILL get answers and opinions. We're all very passionate about racing here. We actually take it very seriously (not that you could tell from your first encounter with my stupid posts), but we like to have fun too. We're ALWAYS happy to have new people come into the sport and enjoy it with us. And it doesn't matter which end of the field you grid up on; it's just great that you've decided to join the fun.

Peter Stolz
Old 08-08-2010

Thanks for all the replies, i did sign up for the 2 day advanced school in lime rock monday the 16th and 17th august. so i'm lookin forward to that now. i cant wait. i am a little nervous though. i was talking to the person on the phone. it seems to be a bit more serious thean the 3 day school. i forgot to ask but i picked up a pair of shoes and gloves for myself. but should i be buying a pair of nomex underwear for this. i have a nomex balaclava they gave me after the 3 day, nomex shoes and gloves. so i will have at least one layer of protection with the suit they supply. would i need another layer with the nomex sock and underwear? thanks again
Old 08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Trevor View Post
Hi Mike!
I'm glad you could find the site-it's cool to discover the community that a supposed "arrive and drive" company can actually foster. I'm just getting amped up for next weekend's Regional and Mazdaspeed Series races at LRP; I'll be flagging (as I had been for your Three Day-or not, if you all kept it on the track [not sure which school you did in particular]!). If it's at all convenient for you the family would be welcome spectators at any point during the races Friday and Saturday; though it'll only pour fuel on that fire...
Welcome!
thanks trevor, i did sign up finally. i was at the 3 day formula school at lime rock on may 26th ish. if you were at the new uphill chicane i think i met you there with the group. a few of us had some spins, including myself (between turn 3 and turn 4, and in west bend) on the 3rd day. none of us crashed the car, but i cant say that for the mx5 school. if you are there next week, maybe i'll run into you while im there
Old 08-08-2010
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrosnan View Post
Thanks for all the replies, i did sign up for the 2 day advanced school in lime rock monday the 16th and 17th august. so i'm lookin forward to that now. i cant wait. i am a little nervous though. i was talking to the person on the phone. it seems to be a bit more serious thean the 3 day school. i forgot to ask but i picked up a pair of shoes and gloves for myself. but should i be buying a pair of nomex underwear for this. i have a nomex balaclava they gave me after the 3 day, nomex shoes and gloves. so i will have at least one layer of protection with the suit they supply. would i need another layer with the nomex sock and underwear? thanks again
If you're thinking of running in race weekends then I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a good set of Nomex socks and underwear. If you don't think you're going to race then I wouldn't bother with the Nomex.

If you wind up running in the series you'll probably want your own helmet, Nomex race suit, HANS device, at least two sets of Nomex underwear and a poured foam seat insert. (The insert keeps you firmly planted in the car requiring much less arm strength while cornering)

When you're at a track and don't have access to a washer/dryer the Nomex will get awfully ripe after multiple days use during a race weekend, so a second set offers some relief.

Not sure I'd call the two day more serious than the three day. It is more focused on preparing you for the race series and some might say a lot more fun as well. You'll probably have a ball.
Old 08-08-2010

Quote:
Probably premature to make the leap to Nomex underwear, but a good balaclava will be a step up from the 3-day freebie. I wouldn't say that the 2DA school is more serious, but the participants certainly are. What do you guys think is the percentage of 3-day participants that go on to do the 2DA? 5-10%? Generally only the more motivated players move up and the more casual attendees decide they have already had enough fun.
Old 08-09-2010

again thanks for the replies, but now a question about the balaclava then that they gave us after the 3 day. i looked at the tag and it said nomex III, registered product of dupont, and it had the team di logo on the tag. i went on their (teamDI) site and saw that they are selling a nomex top and bottom for 150 ish (i was thinking of purchasing a set). it seems like the same material as the balaclava i have. so is it not as good? or should i be looking elsewhere? and to answer. 1. yes, i do plan to do at least 1 race weekend with skip barber. i just dont know when. prob next year, and maybe 1 per year (hopefully 2 or 3)for the next few years. and 2. i was planning on picking up 2 pair of everything, just if i get the first pair, im not sure when i would pick up the 2nd pair., and 3. im really not sure how active of a racer i will be. im just discovering it now but dont really know if i have the funds to get too serious into it, but i hope to make it a regular occurrence, but realistically i'm not too sure. thanks again
Old 08-09-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
again thanks for the replies, but now a question about the balaclava then that they gave us after the 3 day. i looked at the tag and it said nomex III, registered product of dupont, and it had the team di logo on the tag. i went on their (teamDI) site and saw that they are selling a nomex top and bottom for 150 ish (i was thinking of purchasing a set). it seems like the same material as the balaclava i have. so is it not as good? or should i be looking elsewhere?
No, if it has the label then it is the real stuff. Nomex III is the latest Nomex fiber. SBRS used to have non-fireproof painter's headsocks available for anyone in their schools who wanted to wear a balaclava with their Skippy helmet. Sounds like they've decided to start giving away real Nomex balaclavas as a perk. Good idea.
Old 08-09-2010
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
I wouldn't say that the 2DA school is more serious, but the participants certainly are.
Well put Rosso, was certainly the case for me...I was "fast" in my 3 day but I was....umm...not so fast in 2 day adv - the gloves def begin to come off, a good thing, made me work even harder. What is crash damage these days for 3 day and 2 day? That was one big difference in 2001, no CD for 3 day, $3500 I think for 2 day. It was a blast too, really start to push it, experience race conditions....the needle is inserted further
Old 08-09-2010
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
...the needle is inserted further
I think in my case my vein just popped out and inhaled the needle.
Old 08-09-2010

crash damage ceiling is 6000 with out insurance. with insurance ($200/day) 3000 deductible., and they also would like a deposit of $500 check or credit card when u get to the track. if no damage you get the check back, if u used creit card its a bit more time consuming and complicated to get he credit car refund.

so should i be thinking about the nomex underwear or save it till later. teamdi.com $159 for top and bottom, $15 or $16 for the socks. i could go either way depending on the advice. id get it now, its only $180 ish and id have 1 set, and buy another set later or i could wait and save a bit of money. thanks again

Last edited by mikebrosnan; 08-09-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2010
Diesel Demon
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Before you purchase, check out Sparco's soft touch line for underwear and balaclava's. They're extremely comfortable.
Oakley Carbon X are also very good.

Viz
Old 08-10-2010

Personally i think you should save your money until you decide if you are going to move on into more frequent racing. The 2 day school is still a very controlled environment and the chance of you actually needing the nomex is very small.

Since you are limited on funds i would make sure you have good gloves, then driving shoes. If you decide to do more i would purchase a correct fitting helmet and racing suit at least 3 layers nomex next. Hans device is a must as you move forward.

Nomex underwear is something that you can purchase relatively inexpensively and is recommended especially if you do not purchase a 3 layer suit until later. In any case make sure you do not wear any type of nylon shirt like drifit under any suit. If you ever had a situation where fire was involved it would likely melt to your body. For now cotton shirts would be fine for the school.
Old 08-10-2010

ok, thanks for the advice. i have a balaclava, shoes, and gloves. now i will probably start saving for the helmet, hans, and suit, prob early next year unless i have an opportunity for some more racing before the end of this year. i might be able to pick up some nomex underwar cheaper, just waiting to hear back . thanks again
Old 08-11-2010
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockRacer View Post
Personally i think you should save your money until you decide if you are going to move on into more frequent racing. The 2 day school is still a very controlled environment and the chance of you actually needing the nomex is very small.

Since you are limited on funds i would make sure you have good gloves, then driving shoes. If you decide to do more i would purchase a correct fitting helmet and racing suit at least 3 layers nomex next. Hans device is a must as you move forward.

Nomex underwear is something that you can purchase relatively inexpensively and is recommended especially if you do not purchase a 3 layer suit until later. In any case make sure you do not wear any type of nylon shirt like drifit under any suit. If you ever had a situation where fire was involved it would likely melt to your body. For now cotton shirts would be fine for the school.
Ditto on absolutely everything...except I'd get good driving shoes before the gloves...BUT that is a personal decision. From what I see, footwork is the most common limiting factor in early driver improvement, and once you have mastered the downshifting process, you want to be able to do it without thinking about the process. Holding on to the steering wheel is holding on to the steering wheel, and there's lots of good gloves out there that will do the job. (BTW, I LOVE Sparco gloves.)

Anyway, the best shoes on the planet that I have ever used in 20 years of driving are Diadoras. Unfortunately, they are no longer available except at www.northstarmotorsports.com in limited sizes. I still have a pair of the SRs in good condition and use them sparingly. I'm currently using Sabelts regularly which are okay, but definitely not Diadoras. Pumas fit me really good, but I've never tried their racing shoes...probably try them next.

Again, everything LimeRockRacer said is absolutely valid and I agree 100%...the shoes are just a personal preference deal.

Pete
Old 08-11-2010

again thanks for the replies. unfortunately i jumped the gun on the shoes and gloves. i picked up a pair of sparco wind gloves, and a pair of sparco slalom shoes. the gloves should arrive tomorrow, the shoes i got and tried on. they seem to be a good fit, hopefully they do the trick. i looked to see if they were sfi and fia rated and it seems like they are so i bought them for fairly cheap in my mind. hope i made the right decisions here. thanks again.

mike
Old 08-11-2010
G-force junkie

Quote:
Anyway, the best shoes on the planet that I have ever used in 20 years of driving are Diadoras. Unfortunately, they are no longer available except at www.northstarmotorsports.com in limited sizes. I still have a pair of the SRs in good condition and use them sparingly. I'm currently using Sabelts regularly which are okay, but definitely not Diadoras. Pumas fit me really good, but I've never tried their racing shoes...probably try them next.
Diadoras are awesome shoes. I think you would really like Pumas. I have a pair of Grit Cat Ouninpohjas (non-fireproof) that I bought for $70 before my 3 day-- look great and fit better, perfect all-round driving shoe, best value ever. They don't make them any more either.
Old 08-17-2010
That Guy at LRP's Uphill
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Mike, it was good to get a quick word with you at lunch! I had forgotten to check up on this thread (and indeed, with only a measly 14 posts, forgotten that I'd even read it! Must have been internetting-while-tired).

Your school was great to work-10 cars on course at a time allowed everyone their maximum track time, good situational-awareness training, and me the opportunity to work the blue flag (Unlike the MAZDASPEED 2-Day that ran alongside with just two students and instructors each). The group overall did well, and fortunately for Bruce and the others, required no additional paperwork ($$$ spent on your part). I'm glad you got yourself some gloves and shoes-the former are required in any advanced activity by the rulebook, despite the occasional instructors' ignorance.

While we're discussing safety equipment, I would like to recommend TeamDI (Driving Impressions) for your consideration if only for the fact that it's run by Robert (Bob) Zecca, whose Northern-Jersey-based store called Lime Rock Park home for the past 20 years. The economy, etc. forced the track to persuade him that the building across the paddock would be better utilized for their purposes this spring. He's completely dedicated himself and his efforts to motor racing in the northeast, its administration (as a member of the Northern New Jersey Region SCCA Board of Directors), and its protection through driver safety. Basically, he's "a good guy." Send him an e-mail from the Driving Impressions site to work with him on purchases, it would be worth it.

It was great meeting you and some of the other students; happy motoring and see you back soon!
Old 08-17-2010
Skippy Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Diadoras are awesome shoes. I think you would really like Pumas. I have a pair of Grit Cat Ouninpohjas (non-fireproof) that I bought for $70 before my 3 day-- look great and fit better, perfect all-round driving shoe, best value ever. They don't make them any more either.
Try ebay. I like the Future Cats which are no longer available, but they still show up on eBay.
Old 08-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Trevor View Post
Mike, it was good to get a quick word with you at lunch! I had forgotten to check up on this thread (and indeed, with only a measly 14 posts, forgotten that I'd even read it! Must have been internetting-while-tired).

Your school was great to work-10 cars on course at a time allowed everyone their maximum track time, good situational-awareness training, and me the opportunity to work the blue flag (Unlike the MAZDASPEED 2-Day that ran alongside with just two students and instructors each). The group overall did well, and fortunately for Bruce and the others, required no additional paperwork ($$$ spent on your part). I'm glad you got yourself some gloves and shoes-the former are required in any advanced activity by the rulebook, despite the occasional instructors' ignorance.

While we're discussing safety equipment, I would like to recommend TeamDI (Driving Impressions) for your consideration if only for the fact that it's run by Robert (Bob) Zecca, whose Northern-Jersey-based store called Lime Rock Park home for the past 20 years. The economy, etc. forced the track to persuade him that the building across the paddock would be better utilized for their purposes this spring. He's completely dedicated himself and his efforts to motor racing in the northeast, its administration (as a member of the Northern New Jersey Region SCCA Board of Directors), and its protection through driver safety. Basically, he's "a good guy." Send him an e-mail from the Driving Impressions site to work with him on purchases, it would be worth it.

It was great meeting you and some of the other students; happy motoring and see you back soon!
yeah trevor, it was good to meet up with you even if it was just for a few minutes. i went in to the store right after. i had heard it was really downsized, but quite surprised to see what they had. more than i had been told. so i do plan to use them in the furture.
the class was good. i thought monday was better for me. after i had the spin on tuesday morning and had to switch cars, i never really felt comfortable in the new car so i wasnt able to push as hard as i wanted too. i was really wrestling with the car to get it through the downhill most of the day. part of it was me probably not hitting the turning point a lot of the time, but also the pedals were a bit farther away than i would have liked, even after a few adjustments of the pedals and the seat we just couldnt get it right for me. oh well, i then just took it upon myself to practice my footwork and running on the line. i really wasnt interested in racing some of the other guys in the class so i just pointed them by when they got near. but i cant wait to get back into a car again. i really do like it. talk to you again

Bookmark This Thread