Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 01-07-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

I'm sorry, Peter Egan

I gave up on Road and Track a hundred years ago. I should have kept up at least a little.

This is a nice piece by Peter Egan (R&T, Feb. 2012). Besides, it's winter and there's time for reflection.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/column/going-to-the-glen

Last time I was there, Vic gave me Hill's room. Possibly his sheets too. But it's still the Glen Motor Inn.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 01-07-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: I'm sorry, Peter Egan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
I gave up on Road and Track a hundred years ago. I should have kept up at least a little.

This is a nice piece by Peter Egan (R&T, Feb. 2012). Besides, it's winter and there's time for reflection.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/column/going-to-the-glen

Last time I was there, Vic gave me Hill's room. Possibly his sheets too. But it's still the Glen Motor Inn.

Great post and read!!!

Thanks
Old 01-08-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Really makes me feel privileged to have gotten so many laps at the Glenn. Thanks to all the Skippy coaches for helping me get arround safely and somewhat quickly.
Old 01-08-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

After several years of hearing "You must drive the Glen!" and having been there in the late 60's to see my friend who raced a Crossle get the highest finish I ever saw him get (P2) I finally got there myself about 5 years ago. Got out of the car after my first lapping session with tears in my eyes. It was the most wonderful road course I'd ever experienced. It's size, elevation change, topography and feeling of speed, especially through the esses, made it the one track in a Skippy car where you felt like a formula one driver. The history of the track and it's surrounding lodges and eateries along with stories from Pete Argetsinger and the other life long Skippy instructors always make a visit there special. Proud to say I've won 3 races at the Glen but my favorite finish was P2 to CDH's first win on May 23rd, 2010.

The greatest disappointment in Peter Egan's story was the absence of a visit to Mr. Chicken.

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2012
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

Watkins Glen holds so many memories for me. First visit to a race track with friends.... The Glen
First Formula 1 Race... The Glen
First Nascar Race...... the Glen
First Dodge Dealer who be friended me; Mike Learn (Learn Motor Car) .... in Watkins Glen
First Skip Barber experience (Three Day) ..... The Glen
First Memorable instructor Experience.... Peter Argetsinger giving me a tour of the OLD Course...... The Glen
First of 3 2 day Advanced Racing Classes ........ The Glen

First Skip Barber Race......... Lime Rock. How did that get in there?

Most Skip Barber Races Raced....... The Glen.

Best Advice from Skip Barber Instructor...... Stevie D; "You know, there are other places" ......... But if you like the Glen and can navigate it ........ The other places fall into place.

Thanks for the memories.
Old 01-09-2012
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Well, as long as we're dredging this stuff up... and in no particular order:

1st time throug the esses - 20+ years after watching Clark, Rodrigues, Hill et all climb the hill - was WAY more emotional than I ever thought.
Ellen's first time ever on track during an Audi track day, down at least one gear everywhere just to be nice and after half a lap she says: "And this is fun for you?".
Ellen's first time in a race car - right seat in the Turner doing two parade laps of the old course. No windshield on the passenger side. At the end she takes off the helmet, looking like all the old photos (ie, like a raccoon) and a HUGE smile on her face.
Passing three cars between the bus stop and the entry to the boot.
Watching the bus burn?
Standing in the esses, explaining in great detail the grim determination and single-minded concentration necessary to weave through there just before Fittipaldi roars by waving a fist at Reggazzoni for holding him up.
Stewart going past the same spot, all calm and smooth and serene and two minutes later hearing on the PA that he had just taken pole.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Last edited by oldredracer; 01-09-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Bookmark This Thread