Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 06-09-2011
Nano Tech Wizard
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 3339
Post LR Summer Series/MX-5 Race Weekend

Event Name: LR Summer Series/MX-5 Race Weekend. Organization: Skip Barber Racing School LLC.

More...

Click on 'Post Reply' below to discuss
Old 06-09-2011
G-force junkie

Gallery Images: 69
Re: LR Summer Series/MX-5 Race Weekend

Well, I'm back in the saddle after a 15 month layoff, and it has been interesting. Good things: being a part of this crazy traveling circus again, getting to hang out with my favorite people, getting to strap in to a race car, the beautiful western Connecticut scenery. Bad things: how much my skills have atrophied during my time away. Very discouraging to be 2+ sec off the pace when it used to be 0-0.5 sec, and to have so much lack of trust in both myself and the car. The fine coordination between brake release, turn-in hand speed, and visual movement of the eyes is just enough out of sync to seriously affect commitment to entry speed. Thanks to a a focused car control clinic on Tuesday with Rob, focusing on my advanced skills (few) and needs (many), my car feel has come back well, but I will be very happy when the other stuff catches up, because I am being a serious p'baby (according to Bruce MacInnes) when it comes to the entry of the Uphill, West Bend, and Big Bend.

Last 2 days here we might as well have been in Atlanta-- mid 90's and humid as anything. I was so drenched when I got out of the car after my third session today I could wring the water out of my clothes. And I felt like puking. The track has been greasy and slow thanks to Grand-Am rubber that does not get along with our BFGs. The cars are sliding all over the place and as you can see the times are quite a bit slower than usual. We had some hellacious storms the last two evenings--high winds, downed tree limbs, hail, lost power for 5 hours last night on the outskirts of Canaan. Tomorrow is supposed to be better --mid 70's, and hopefully the rain this evening will give us a better track surface tomorrow.

Scott Anderson is crushing everybody driving like a bat out of hell, but Pat and Greg are driving better than I have ever seen them and are not far behind, and I have no hope of running with them this weekend I'm afraid. Greg gave me a few laps of lead-follow, and "Hot Tub" KnightRider spent some time discussing what he thought was working in the various corners, so hopefully tomorrow I will be able put to use some of what I learned today from then. Thanks, guys.

Last edited by Slowhands; 06-10-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2011
G-force junkie

Gallery Images: 69

p.s.

Had a very pleasant surprise when Sy stopped by on Tues to do car control with me. Had a blast doing the skidpad and autocross work together, talking about life over lunch. No better way to start the week.
Old 06-10-2011
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6

Excellent report Harsha - it is great to see you back in the race car:b owdown:. Sorry I am not there to enjoy the weekend with you - see you at Road America?
Old 06-12-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

LRP was as slow and greasy as most had ever felt. The left hander was diabolically slow, which made the exit of turn four and the trip down no name that much slower as well. Even the fastest kids couldn't get below the high 59's.

However everyone was dealing with the same track, tires and cars so there wasn't any place to hide.

Harsha, to his credit, knew the gap between race weekends was too long to just jump in and go. His car control sessions with Rob provided confidence and a good base from which to rejoin the fray. It was great having Harsha at the track and in the car all weekend.

We shared a car in different groups for race one that had some issues and was challenging to drive. Unfortunately those challenges bit Harsha going into big bend in race one and he got enough of the tire barrier to end that race early. We both had cars that were easier to manage in race 2.

The highlight of the weekend was the Sid Brenner memorial. Every running open wheel car was on the track with instructors, mechanics and racers honoring Sid during the best weather of the weekend. Carl Lopez who hasn't raced in years wanted to honor Sid so he started the race and ran one lap before retiring. Michael Culver also jumped in and ran the whole race. Sid's son Ryan waived the green flag. Rob Slonaker led early on before Scott Anderson took the point. In the closing laps Phil Lombardi in P2 drove a near perfect race with Bobo hot on his heels looking for an opportunity that never came. Christine waived the checker for Scott Anderson, Phil and Gerardo in that order. After Sid's memorial we were treated to a revised version of the video Doug Harrison created for the celebration of Sid's life the week after he passed. We all laughed and cried seeing and hearing Sid's sense of irony and humor while also feeling the great sadness of his loss. Big bow downs to Doug for taking us on the journey.

Many shared stories that made us smile with Todd, Keith Watts, Bob Ziegel, Chris Brassard, Carl Lopez and Steve Welk among the good friends who honored him with their memories. Sid's family was then taken down to turn one where a memorial plaque will be permanently installed in his memory.

It was good to be back on track with no ill effects after the VIR concussion. Speeds were competitive but I shot myself in the foot in all four races. Spun without going four off in both race 1's and then went four off in both race 2's. At least I was consistent. Race 2 group one was the hands down winner as most fun. It rained heavily before the start and after the start a five car battle emerged for P3. Chris Brassard was masterful for two thirds of the race at holding the point of our 5 car chain including Franco, Greg, Jack Jr. and me as we sliced and diced for an opportunity to advance. Greg and I eventually got around Chris before I drove it off of big bend trying to late brake around the outside. The battles and driving was wonderful. We all got out with big smiles and our video's reveal why. Good stuff.

Humbled to make so many small costly mistakes but truly grateful to be back in the drivers seat. The mechanics, instructors and support staff were nothing but great. With hellish heat and humidity followed by torrential rain and cold we had a full menu of weather and experience. Sid's memorial race and celebration put it all in perspective reminding that we all have so much to be thankful for.

Last edited by dalyduo; 06-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2011
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6

Thank you Pat for the excellent report - I am so sorry I missed the weekend with you all. It sounds like the track was a handful in the changing conditions. It is especially good to hear about you being back in a race car - bravo.

I can only imagine how well the celebration of Sid's life went - I am hopeful that Doug will post some clips of the remembrance stories and activities. I know that Christine & Ryan appreciated everyone's support and encouragement.

And a big thank you to Chris Brassard for looking after the Sid Brenner Mechanics Fund this weekend.
Old 06-13-2011
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
p.s.

Had a very pleasant surprise when Sy stopped by on Tues to do car control with me. Had a blast doing the skidpad and autocross work together, talking about life over lunch. No better way to start the week.
Harsha, that was just a perfect day... It was so great driving and hanging with you. That was really one of the most purely enjoyable days of driving I've ever had - and it's been so long since I've been in the car I feel like I should be posting a Newbie Intro Thread for myself as well as a positive review thread for the Car Control Clinic!

And a big thank you to Rob Slonaker, who did such an amazing job bringing my oh-so-very rusty skills nearly back to where they were at my peak (barely mediocre..)
Old 06-13-2011
tto-tgood
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Harsha, you've managed to capture the frustation I've felt as well over the recent years were I've been in the car three times in three years. Its really tough feeling so rusty, when you know in your mind what you were capable of in the car. Anyway, thanks for your write up, it sounds like it was a great weekend. I wish I could have been there too.
BTW, like you said, the car control clinic is a great day, I wish there were some way to do some that at every track prior to a weekend just to loosen up.
Old 06-13-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom goodhart View Post
BTW, like you said, the car control clinic is a great day, I wish there were some way to do some that at every track prior to a weekend just to loosen up.
Well, Michael Culver said that he was looknig for feedback from us. Michael, are you listening?

Bookmark This Thread