Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 01-11-2005
Thumb-alina
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Team Juicy Boys Take On Daytona

So it all began with Spencer's TJR.com post offering "rides" in his Grand Am Cup car. It took me about 3 minutes to type him an email asking for details.

The story is, Spencer has 2 seats. One in the Rolex series (including the 24H of Daytona) and one in Grand Am Cup, the support series to Rolex. His Cup team had 2 cars last year, and will start this season with 4 cars. Hence the need for warm bodies (with American Express cards) to fill seats. Team owner Mike Pickett is a super guy and easy to get along with. In my first conversation with him, he invited me to come test with the team in Daytona. It took me about 3 minutes to pack my bag!

It took me 3 days to convince David Casey (Phobos) to join me. I knew he wanted to do this and had been exploring another option. He tried the old "I have family commitments and can't make it" excuse. But, eventually he saw the light and realized there was no way he was going to let me have all the fun!

Countless phone calls to Spencer, Gerardo, Pickett, Grand Am Racing, HANS (required for this series), Arai, Demon Tweeks, Continental Airlines, American Airlines, and Hertz, and an overnite delivery of hardware from HANS (I decided to borrow the device itself) later, and I was on my way.

David got to Daytona on Friday and called me soon after his first stint in the car. He'd been to this track, but never drove a P-car at speed on a track. His first words to me were "This ain't Skip Barber baby"! David had trouble finding gears during his session, and only managed a 2:22 in his first stint. Don't worry though, it gets better!

I couldn't sleep Friday night... even during 3 1/2 hours of Turandot at the Met!

By noon Saturday I was in Daytona and was surprised by Gerardo who came to chaperone me! After trying to convince the Hertz guy that a Mazda 6 was a better ride than a Grand Marquis, despite the fact that it was 1/2 the price, we headed off to get credentials. Then to the track to take a digital picture and get my "hard card" id... (there goes another $500!). The unwitting girl behind the counter asked what team name I wanted on my ID... without hesitation, I said.... you guessed it... Team Juicy! Gerardo thought I was kidding... "don't you think it should say Race Prep?" (Pickett's team name). Sure. If he wants to pay the $450! With that, Phobos walked in, saw what I had done, and promptly had his card changed. Once Team Juicy... always Team Juicy!

Once David finished the serious business of re-taking his photo, he proudly informed me that in his 2nd and final stint (each session is only about 6-8 laps) he took 10secs per lap off his times, and hit a 2:12. Yeah baby!

Next up. Meet the team. Mike has a good bunch of guys working for him, 3 of whom (Lutso, Red, and Craig) were at the track this weekend. These guys never stopped working... unless you asked them a question or a favor. Then they treated you like you were already part of the team. Very cool.

Race Prep brought one car (#18) to the test. The others were in various stages of preparation for the season... including the latest... a brand new, off the lot 996 Mike picked up this weekend. Seeing that car and what would become of it in a few weeks, side-by-side, was wild.

I got a quick run down of the car and its controls. The scariest part of which was "this is the fire extinguisher nozzle, make sure it points toward your balls when you get in". You think I'm kidding? Fortunately, I also learned how to select the proper channel on the car-to-pit radio and how to recycle the antilock brake system! More on that later.

Next, it was off to get my helmet wired for 2 way communication, and buy new earplugs (another $500... this stuff adds up quickly!).

At 3:30 it was my time to drive. I'm sweating. My mouth is dry. And, I gotta pee! All of which I suspect had to do with the fact that I would soon be travelling 150mph in a car I've never driven, with 20 other guys I've never met, on a track I've never seen. Oh, and did I mention the 27 degree banked corners?

I turn the key and think... "gee, this isn't as loud as I thought it would be. These new earplugs must really be good". Then I noticed the car was idling at 0 RPM. Oops. That racket is coming from a car 3 stalls away. I turn the key again, and the ground begins to shake. Yeah, now it's loud! Over the radio, Spencer backs me out of the garage stall. Keep coming, keep coming, blah blah blah. Now it's time to go forward, and I stall. The tach doesn't even reach 0 before dear old Spencer advises me that the car works better when it is running. Thanks Spencer. Fortunately, that was my last stall of the weekend. "ok Michael, head out to pit row and call us when they go green".

Sitting on pit road, I am simultaneously as excited as my kids on Christmas morning, and as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! The green flag flies and the nerves go away and the excitement soars. I take it easy through the winding pit exit... chuckle in my helmet as I accelerate down the first straight, hold my breath as I brake hard and downshift for the International Hairpin, thank God (or whomever it is I talk to when I look up) when I exit the first corner without incident, gulp as I coast (at 90?MPH) through the kink and think that Spencer says this will eventually be taken flat (not by me it won't), get all giddy again when I nail the next two corners while gaining on the guy in front of me, and then stare in amazement as the world goes all sideways when I enter the banking. Yee Ha!

After negotiating the busstop and Nascar turns 3 and 4 I look down at my gauges. Ok, all I can see at this point is the speedo as I realize I am at 143mph and climbing and it is time to shift into 6th gear. I decide I don't need to do the tri-oval flat out on my first lap.

My next decision is "why wait till the 200 board to start braking when I can start it here at the 300?!" "This feels fast enough!" Well, when you downshift from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 and decide you need to give it more gas before you go to 2nd gear, you realize why you should have waited! In my case at least, that lesson doesn't fully sink in by the next time you scream past the 500 board and the 400 board at close to 150mph... I think I waited till a least 299 on my second lap! Hey, I'm getting the hang of this! Yeah right!

After a few laps, the team calls me in. Find your blend line. Race to the pits, but don't exceed 45mph in pit lane. No problem.

A little chat with Spencer, and I am on my way again. A little better each lap. A little more confidence. Until those 2 Porsches catch me heading into the banking. One takes the high road, one the low road. I beg for more horsepower as we drag race through Nascar 1. By Nascar 2 they have both found my blind spots, it rattles me and I lift, letting them by. Don't worry, just follow them for a while. Yeah right. By the exit of the busstop they are gone.

Soon, I feel like I am getting to know the track a little better. The call over the radio proclaims a 2:16 lap time. I'll take it!

I am still missing 2nd gear regularly though. I shouldn't be, this is the same gearbox I drive every day. Later, in the garage, I figure out I was hitting the detent under Reverse. I don't think I have ever done that in my car. Amazing what a little adrenaline will do to you. My other major blunder? While turning up the volume on the radio, I accidentally switch to channel 2. Oh crap. Now what? Oh yeah, they told me that might happen and how to fix it. Now if I can only do it, and not crash the car! When I do get channel 1 back, I call the pits, to tell them what I've done and pre-excuse what I know will be a miserable lap time. Lutso (I hope I am spelling that right), the crew chief, reminds me that the 6 CD player is under the seat and I suggest that I wasn't able to find the Beatle's so I left it off! I love 2 way communications in the car! (don't tell my wife!)

A few laps later, and my session is over. Wow that felt good.

The next driver is team owner Mike Pickett, followed by someone whose name escapes me. This last driver pits when he claims that the antilock brakes failed. They recycle the system and send him out again. The warning lite keeps coming on. You can recycle while you drive, which he does several times before giving up. The team sends Spencer out to test it, but he can't replicate the problem. Later in the pits, the computer shows no faults, so they try 2 or 3 possible remedies. We'll have to wait till tomorrow to see if they work.

That nite's highlight? Dinner with Chip Ganassi, Mark Patterson, Quentin Wahl, and a few others. Followed by poker at a local dive, before picking my wife up at the airport. You think this story is long now? You should have heard it in person at midnite! Sue couldn't get a word in edgewise... and you know that doesn't happen often!

On Saturday I drive 2nd. My goals are to move my brake points down progessively, stop missing 2nd gear, and not screw up. All but the 2nd gear thing work out. I'm not doing the same thing as Saturday, but I keep grinding 2nd gear. A few times, I back off and hit 4th instead of 2nd. That'll do good things to your lap times when 4 of 5 corners are 2nd gear corners! Later, in the pits, I learn it wasn't me. Spencer had the same issue. The gearbox is bad and needs to be replaced.

I also push the break point for the busstop to where Spencer told me it should be and twice in a row decide to blow off the corner... this leads Spencer to call me a closet Nascar fan. Later, Spencer admits... "um yeah, the 2 board is too late for that corner, I must have been thinking about the other car!" Thanks Spencer!

During this session, the antilock brake gremlin reappears. Have you ever headed toward a corner at 100mph+ wondering if your brakes would work? The radio kept telling me "don't worry, they'll be there". Can't say that was totally comforting... but you cross your fingers, hold your breath... and try it again next corner!

When I get out, the crew debriefs me about the car setup. I suggest it felt more "loose" in the banking than yesterday. Pickett agrees. Spencer, after his turn, says we are hallucinating. Turns out we are right. While looking for brake problems they identify a bad wheel bearing and a loose wheel. No replacement available... game over. No afternoon session.

Despite, the problems, I click off a 2:13. 3 seconds better than yesterday, but not where I wanted to be. Oh well.

So, was David right? Damn straight. This ain't Skip Barber.

It is a whole lot more expensive. The are no track maps, no cones for references, no lapping days, no coaches in the corners, no spare cars when yours breaks down, no way to buy extra races or practice sessions, no individual timing and scoring (you get the car's fastest lap time per session only), no van arounds, no sharing tips with your competitors, no sequential gearbox, and no crash damage waiver.

But, the car is as different from the F-Dodge as an F-Dodge is from a go-kart. You really feel like you are racing on a different level. We'll see how I feel about that after my first race. I suspect the level of competition (in terms of close racing) won't be there. But I will! And so will Casey. I think we got bit. We both plan to split our time in 05 between SBRS and GAC. Watch for us on TV... oh, did I fail to mention the races are shown (taped highlights probably) on Speed Channel? I imagine the best way to make that highlight reel is when you get passed by the leader! There are probably a whole variety of much worse ways to make it also!

A couple of pictures... courtesy of David and Sue... are forthcoming tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2005
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Re: Team Juicy Boys Take On Daytona

You and David are STUDS!!!!

Can't believe you guys did this. Great set of stones. Excellent, excellent, news. I think this just takes the cake.

Old 01-11-2005
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1

Great write-up.

Face reality, you're hooked now.
Old 01-11-2005
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Michael,

Wonderfully detailed, honest hilarious report of that exquisite edge between fear and excitement, as you take your maiden voyage in Grand Am Cup racing!

This, while negotiating Daytona for the first time in an unfamiliar car among professional competition! Yee Ha indeed! (Especially glad to hear you've been mandated into a HANS device) Love the progression as the new experience takes you out of your comfort zone, then quickly elevates your awareness to a new comfort zone.

You also illustrate nicely the no do-over, tough love of real world racing vs. the generous, forgiving, multi-tiered support we often take for granted in the Skippy series.

I first wonder if, and then how, David's Marine training might have contributed to his quick adaptation to the new racing environment? Obviously the Skippy training had a lot to do with it. I wonder what his take on it is?

You and David have perfect timing as this years Rolex 24 is expected to be one of the best attended by world class drivers in many years. (But don't feel any pressure! :-) A bunch of Nascar drivers saw how much fun Tony Stewart, Little E, and Jimmy Johnson were having and decided to join the fray this year along with a huge laundry list of esteemed racers from across the board of professional racing. (Emerson Fittipaldi even tested and is considering a run after not having raced for 8 years!)

When you complete your first lap you will always be able to say you raced with perhaps 4 generations of world-class auto racing legends, in a single day. Besides driving for Spencer, you’ll be rubbing fenders (figuratively we hope) on the same track with the likes of Butch L., Tony S., Boris S., Emmo F... etc., etc., and how cool is that?! Only slightly less important than resolutely crossing this new threshold, driving to your full potential and sharing it, step by step with your TJR homies! :-)

Lets see… Cost of lost work time, HANS device, credentials, travel expenses, and seat time in a fast Porche in the Rolex 24… (Cha-Ching! Fill in big number here…)

Getting to share your journey with Spencer, his team, Gerardo, David, Sue... those big timers you went to dinner with and your TJR brethren?

Priceless.

We are supportively green with envy Michael. Keep up the good learning curve and reporting, when time permits. First, because we love being along for the ride and second, to spare Sue some of that adrenalized mind numbing detail that we shut in desk jockeys can't get enough of.

Adios,
Pat

PS David tends to be a man of few words but we’d love to hear his account as well.

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-11-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2005
Thumb-alina

Pat... thanks for the reply. I don't want to lead you astray though... this was Grand Am Cup. The support series for the Rolex series. If we run Daytona, it would be the Daytona 200, not the 24 hour race. Although, since I'm there, and I have my helmet anyway, I'd be happy to fill in for someone .

I have a dozen great pix to upload.... waiting for one of our esteemed technical experts to walk me through how to do it. Seems they are "too large"! Keep a look out!
Old 01-11-2005
Thumb-alina

Here are the pix...

Thanks to Sue and David for the photography, and Sy for the idiot proof software!
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michael hard card.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	243   Click image for larger version

Name:	David hard card.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	244   Click image for larger version

Name:	car in garage.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lutso changing tire.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	246  

Name:	interior left.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	247   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior right.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	248   Click image for larger version

Name:	david getting in.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amok in Daytona.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	250  

Name:	michael goes by again.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	251   Click image for larger version

Name:	coming into pits.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	252  
Old 01-11-2005
Thumb-alina

A few more pix...

Name:	michael getting out.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patterson Wahl DP car.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	254   Click image for larger version

Name:	DP doors up.jpg
Views:	303
ID:	255  
Old 01-11-2005
Grand Master

Opps,

Missed a shift (by about 22 hours) on the Grand Am Cup vs Rolex 24 distinction. Sorry about that. It's still a great story. The silver lining at the 200 is you'll be much less sleep deprived and won't have to be bothered with all those racing legend ego's.

You might, however, improve your odds for an invitation to the Rolex 24 by hanging your Gold American Express card on that TJR mug shot lanyard to show extreme financial readiness while at the track. Wearing your HANS device during track meals would also demonstrate a strong eagerness to continue racing. :-) (Besides, that D-cell rig made you look like you were ready for something... but auto racing was never the first guess. :-)

Nice shots. Car looks great! And whoever you paid to wear your helmet looks almost right!(You aren't really that tall, are you?) Love the cigarette smoking tire changer! (On second glance it might be a white pen barrel, but if Doug put a whisp of smoke on the end of it... )

Kidding aside. Hope all runs well at the 200 for all involved.

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-11-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2005
whirling dervish
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

u rock! Can't wait to see TJR on the side of a DP one of these days...
Old 01-11-2005
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

I'm moving this thread to the Racing Discussions forum.
Old 01-11-2005
WillowCross Racing

I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.I hate you.
Old 01-11-2005

Hey Michael! What is this thing? Is this a really bid beer mug holder? Place to store your pens? Feedbag for the horse? What is this thing?

Sorry, can't seem to get the picture small enough... I am talking about the multi-holed cup thing to the right of you as you are driving the car. Right behind your right ear....
Old 01-11-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraige
Hey Michael! What is this thing? Is this a really bid beer mug holder? Place to store your pens? Feedbag for the horse? What is this thing?
Jimmy, is that all you think about?
Old 01-11-2005

look at that thing. It's like a cigarette but holder. Any clue?

Name:	interior right.jpg
Views:	301
ID:	256  
Old 01-11-2005
Grand Master

Jim,
That's where you do the final braising of your cajones if the fire extinquisher isn't aimed properly.
Old 01-11-2005
Thumb-alina

Not sure if you are serious... but it is a cup holder. They put some kind of jug in it for water with a straw. It was pretty freakin hot in that car. I was only in it for 20 minutes, and it was January and 70 degrees. I can't imagine if it is 100 degrees outside, and you are driving for an hour!

By the way, I was telling Bill some stories and he asked me about insurance. It is available... but very expensive. Most guys take their chances.

With that in mind, I watched a Ferrari 360 get passed by a DP on the inside of the International Hairpin. At track out, the DP went wide. Left front clipped the Ferrari's right rear and spun him off the track and into the wall. Hit on 3 corners before stopping! Had to be $50k in damages minimum. Poor bastard did nothing wrong and will be writing a big check! No splitting it with the other driver like in Skippyland... no $4900 deductible, and, no new car for the afternoon or next day! Skippy has its advantages!
Old 01-11-2005
Thumb-alina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
I'm moving this thread to the Racing Discussions forum.
I struggled with where to put it, because this Forum is called Skip Barber Racing.... Oh well.
Old 01-11-2005
Team OC/AD D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAmok
I struggled with where to put it, because this Forum is called Skip Barber Racing.... Oh well.
We should lump all of our racing activities into this forum, including karting, endurance racing etc.
Old 01-11-2005
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude
We should lump all of our racing activities into this forum, including karting, endurance racing etc.
And call it... Endurance, Formula, Karting or abrieviate to: Enduro F/arting (It's getting late... Can you tell I have a 12 year old... trapped in a 50+ year old body? :-)

Last edited by dalyduo; 01-12-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2005
Team OC/AD D

By the way...

HOLY CRAP! I'm SOOOO FRICKIN' JEALOUS! You guys did the coolest thing ever. I wish I was there.....

Old 01-12-2005

Cup holder? Makes sense! I bet it is hot. I had no idea that that was where they put it.

Going to call Bob or Jimal to see if we can get one of those in the R/T 2000...

By the way, I told my son, Angus, about what you guys are doing. Guess I can expect you both over tonight to read him his books before he falls asleep.

I am no longer "The Man"....

Old 01-12-2005
Grand Master

That's a soon to debut reality show on Fox, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraige

I am no longer "The Man"....

Last edited by sydude; 01-12-2005 at 03:57 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 01-13-2005
Hey ya'll, watch this
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 6

Holy crap, I'm jealous.

That's so cool, and thanks for the great writeup! Looks like an absolute blast and in incredible experience.

Keep us updated and keep the pictures coming.
Old 01-13-2005

Motorsport.com has some great Daytona pics, I've listed a couple below. Your Porsche story was great. Mark and I both had the experience of being on the banking going 175 and having another prototype blow by
while passing another car. The car is going 260 feet per second, and it feels like it, too. Wicked fast and physically very dificult to drive, my neck is still sore from holding it up against the banking G's. The most difficult part for me is checking the mirrors for guys coming up behind, by the time you look at the mirror and back you've gone a long way.
The Rolex 24 entry list might be the most awsome in the history of motorsports, read these names of F1 race winning drivers and testers, Indy 500 winners, IRL Champions, CART Champions, CART race winners, F3000 Champions, F Atlantic, F Mazda and Indy Lights Champions, Le Mans winners, World Sportscar Champions, Trans Am ALMS Champions and Nascar Champions. Even some Skippy regional winners in here.

Wally Dallenbach, Paul Dallenbach, Johnny Unser
David Donohue, Darren Law, Sascha Maassen, Lucas Luhr
Hurley Haywood, Mike Rockenfeller, Timo Bernhard, Romain Dumas
Scott Pruett , Luis Diaz, Ryan Briscoe
Stefan Johansson, Cort Wagner
Scott Dixon, Darren Manning,
Fabrizio Gollin, Matteo Bobbi, Didier Theys
Bryan Herta, Jan Magnussen
Marino & Dario Franchitti, Dan Wheldon, Michael Valiante
Jimmie Johnson, Elliot Forbes-Robinson, Butch Leitzinger
Andy Wallace, , Jan Lammers, Sebastien Bourdais
Terry Borcheller, Paul Tracy, Rolf Kelleners, Christian Fittipaldi
Oliver Gavin, Max Papis, Jörg Bergmeister
Buddy Rice, Tracy Krohn, Nic Jönsson, Boris Said
Roberto Moreno, Mike Borkowski, Oswaldo Negri, Scott Maxwell,
Jim Matthews, Joel Camathias, Marc Goossens, Guy Smith
Paul Newman, Michael Brockman, Cristiano da Matta
Wayne Taylor, Max Angelelli, Michael McDowell, Memo Gidley
Reigning NEXTEL Cup champion Kurt Busch, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle, Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Casey Mears, Jamie McMurray
Bobby and Terry Labonte

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/ser...?S=GRANDAM&Y=0

This is the car Mark P and I are in:

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/sel...Wahl&S=GRANDAM
Old 01-13-2005
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Thumbs up Re: Team Juicy Boys Take On Daytona

Nice Shot, who's driving Quentin?

Old 01-14-2005

I'm not sure which of the 4 of us it is, but because the car almost has two wheels on the grass, I'd have to guess it's me.
Quentin
Old 01-14-2005
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Turandot sucks.
Old 01-14-2005
Thumb-alina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nest
Turandot sucks.
I beg to differ! At the risk of getting this forum off track... I loved Turandot. That is why I couldn't sleep, even though I wanted to!

The singing (as ALWAYS at The Met) was inspiring (Spira tanti sentimento!). But, the staging (especially the Franco Zefferelli set) was mind boggling. When was the last time you saw scenery get a round of applause?

As they say in Turandot.... Nessun Dorma! I hope the rest of the aria comes true as well this year.... VINCERO, VINCERO!

When we were in Daytona on Saturday, I asked my wife how many people at the track she thought had been to the opera the night before.. not many, I bet. Which inspires me to change my "subtitle" (is that what we call it?).
Old 01-14-2005
Thumb-alina

So who is coming to Daytona to root us on?

I am sure pit access can be arranged... it is a very cool atmosphere, and as Q says... star-studded!
Old 01-16-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

mike canyou get us a moterhome permit next to the pits and we will all have a place to hang sid
Old 01-16-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

that would be motor
Old 01-16-2005
Thumb-alina

Not sure how serious you are Sid.. but Phobos and I were planning to do the RV thing... being in the infield is better than going to a hotel... but he bailed on Daytona, and I pulled the plug on the RV. Not sure what I'm gonna do with all these tubs of spam and cans of Bud now!

But, I have a few suites... and extra beds... let me know what time you get in!
Old 01-18-2005
Fund Raiser Racer

i am trying to clear my calander to go would love not to miss 2 years in a row. matt is heading down on sat will miss start . if i can make it i will be there on friday. i will get back to you in a day about the rooms. dont give all the spam away. beer and spam last forever thanks

sid
Old 02-04-2005
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Live Timing & Scoring from Daytona

There is live Timing & Scoring and audio right now on grandamerican.com

- sounds like there was a wreck in the opening laps, AMOK car mid field and racing

Old 02-04-2005

He's 30 minutes in - a full Skippy race, still on the lead lap.
Old 02-04-2005
PointBy
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

BIG hats off to Michael.
Unofficially, finished 29/45 in class, 39/75 total field.
Set a personal best lap, 2:09:416.
Waiting for the first-hand write up of the experience on TJR.com

Other notiable:
Spencer, 6th in class & overall

Old 02-04-2005
Grand Master

Bravo! & Well done!
Old 02-04-2005
Thumb-alina

Hey boys... thanks for the warm thoughts and well wishes!

I had 4 practice laps before qualifying! Got 4 laps in qualifying. Qualified 47th... ughh. Best lap in qualifying? A disappointing 2:15 and change.

According to the team I moved up to 10th by the time I got out (1h 20m). Ran a lot of 2:10's and a few 09's. (Spencer did an 05!) We had to driver change under green and we dropped to 34th!

2 laps later, my co-driver lost 2nd gear... required for all 4 infield turns!! Oh well.. had a blast! More comprehensive write up to come after the weekend.
Old 02-05-2005
Team OC/AD D

Great job! I'm really looking forward to the full write up.
Old 02-05-2005
Thumb-alina

It's written, and it will make DD's posts look brief! It should be posted in a few days (I wrote it at the track during the 2 days, so it needs to be typed).

I, in turn, am waiting for the VIR video!
Old 02-05-2005
Umbrella Girl
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

I can't help myself but chime in here and give my hubby a BIG HUGE PUBLIC CONRATULATIONS for a great race!!!!!

To say that Michael was PUMPED last night would be a huge understatement! Not sure when I've ever seen him that excited about something. He literally was bouncing off the walls, couldn't sit still!!

Once again Michael has proven his passion, in doing something and giving it all he's got.

Thanks to all of you for cheering him on!!

Sue
Old 02-05-2005

Absolutely fantastic! So good to see this. The fact that you had the stones to do this is huge. The fact that you did that well your first time out, is beyond compare. Way to go MJAmok.

Bookmark This Thread