Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Re: I'm Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd645e6 View Post
Thanks Duo. I'm away from civilization right now at work. I'll order a copy when I go home in October.
Oil rig?

(Just read "Fire on the Horizon"...)
Old 09-05-2012
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 5

Congrats Mikey!
I did my 1 day racing school at Road Atlanta last year, and found something I had been searching for all my life; I just couldn't put a finger on it exactly until I drove a Formula car. I have been clawing at the Three-day school all year, and despite the efforts of a kindred spirit helping to realize it, it seems I have to go back under the knife for another round of melanoma removal, so bye bye school money. Hopefully I can make it next year. The people on this forum are special. No one understands the yearning to be on-track more than these people, and I have never seen a group more supportive to the newcomers, regardless of experience, talent, or pocketbook. I don't post often, but I check in on this forum a few times a week, even though I have been on track one time (not by my choice of course), ever. There is so much experience to draw from here, and everyone is so helpful.
As far as the books go, I second Pat's (DaillyDuo) recommendations on reading material. I have all of them, I find the Going Faster book to be the best of them, especially because it is the most relevant to the school. Ross Bentley's books are really good, but there were some things that Going Faster hits on that Bentley does not explain so clearly. I carry it with me everywhere.

Welcome!
Old 09-05-2012

Gallery Images: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Perfection View Post
Congrats Mikey!
I did my 1 day racing school at Road Atlanta last year, and found something I had been searching for all my life; I just couldn't put a finger on it exactly until I drove a Formula car. I have been clawing at the Three-day school all year, and despite the efforts of a kindred spirit helping to realize it, it seems I have to go back under the knife for another round of melanoma removal, so bye bye school money. Hopefully I can make it next year. The people on this forum are special. No one understands the yearning to be on-track more than these people, and I have never seen a group more supportive to the newcomers, regardless of experience, talent, or pocketbook. I don't post often, but I check in on this forum a few times a week, even though I have been on track one time (not by my choice of course), ever. There is so much experience to draw from here, and everyone is so helpful.
As far as the books go, I second Pat's (DaillyDuo) recommendations on reading material. I have all of them, I find the Going Faster book to be the best of them, especially because it is the most relevant to the school. Ross Bentley's books are really good, but there were some things that Going Faster hits on that Bentley does not explain so clearly. I carry it with me everywhere.

Welcome!
Thanks for the welcome M3. I was able to find the Bentley book for my Nook and am about to tear into it soon. Hate to hear about your health problems and upcoming surgery. Road Atlanta was beautiful and I did not want to get out of that car when the class was over. Positive thoughts headed your way for a quick recovery.
Old 09-05-2012
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
I'm an engineer on a towboat. We run the Mississippi from New Orleans to St. Louis. I'm gone 30 days and then off for 30 days.
That sounds really interesting, I am a fan of tug/towboats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Perfection View Post
...The people on this forum are special. No one understands the yearning to be on-track more than these people, and I have never seen a group more supportive to the newcomers, regardless of experience, talent, or pocketbook. I don't post often, but I check in on this forum a few times a week, even though I have been on track one time (not by my choice of course), ever. There is so much experience to draw from here, and everyone is so helpful.
Welcome!
Thanks for those kind words, I'm sending your comments to the powers that be, if you don't mind. Best of luck with your health, beat that thing dammit

BTW, here is my favorite pic of author Carl 'Papa' Lopez
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carl-in-rain.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	4742  
Old 09-05-2012

As for books for drivers, I always refer in my head to Jackie Stewart's Principles of Performance Driving. I like Bentley's Inner Speed Secrets and finally a book by a non-driver: Drive to Win by Carroll Smith. Great book. Really good for aspiring drivers, but great insight from a guy who's dealt with a lot of drivers...
Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
That sounds really interesting, I am a fan of tug/towboats.
I'm don't have any pics of my vessel on my computer, but there are some on my Facebook Page, along with some pics of my engine room and some from the shipyard. There are a bunch of photos from Indycar at Barber and Texas this year too. Www.Facebook.com/emd645e6
We were repowered in 2010 with 3 new emd710g7c-t2 diesel engines. We're making 12'000 horsepower at 900 rpm.
Old 09-05-2012
administrationistperson

Quote:
I'm don't have any pics of my vessel on my computer, but there are some on my Facebook Page, along with some pics of my engine room and some from the shipyard. There are a bunch of photos from Indycar at Barber and Texas this year too. Www.Facebook.com/emd645e6
We were repowered in 2010 with 3 new emd710g7c-t2 diesel engines. We're making 12'000 horsepower at 900 rpm.
very cool, what's her name? Love those engine specs! Will check on the FB pics, thanks
Old 09-05-2012
administrationistperson

Just saw some of your pics M3...outstanding

Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
very cool, what's her name? Love those engine specs! Will check on the FB pics, thanks
M/V Dan MacMillan.
Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr427 View Post
Oil rig?

(Just read "Fire on the Horizon"...)
I'm an engineer on a towboat. We run the Mississippi from New Orleans to St. Louis. I'm gone 30 days and then off for 30 days.

Bookmark This Thread