Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 10-14-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Thumbs up 2009 Summer Season is in the Books

I posted this initially in the "Who's Coming to Finale" thread but then felt like it deserved its own thread since it is about much more than just who was there. Given how much happened both on and off the track this year, it would be great if the respective overall and Masters Champions of all the classes (F2000 Regional, MX5, and F2000 National), instructors, as well as any driver who experienced something special, would share their thoughts with the rest of us. Here are mine:

Thank you my friends for an incredible summer season!!! There were a bunch of new faces, new guys streaking to the front, new friends made, old friends coming out of the woodwork, another chance to challenge oneself at the world's best race tracks, 3 very exciting series being fought till the bitter end. Thank you to all the people who have helped me become a better driver-- this year the pivotal guidance came from MHP, who has helped me to understand what the car has been trying to tell me all these years. I'm finally learning how to listen, and I reached places this season I never thought I would see in my driving, places that transcend any level of performance I could imagine. Yeah, I made a bunch of mistakes (some big ones this weekend alone--ugh!) but given my path into this sport, I have exceeded all my own expectations already. My personal award for the most valuable feedback this season goes to Stevie D, who automatically would tell me what the quick guys were doing compared to me, and that really helped me to hone in on the aspects of the corner on which I needed to focus the most. To the other friends and instructors too numerous to mention individually who have continued to help and support me on this journey despite what seem from the outside to be mysterious and quixotic performances (you all know who you are), I say a very grateful thank you.

The arrival of Michael Culver has breathed new life into Skip Barber-- finally we have a guy at the helm who gets it. The company faces significant challenges with regard to the hole previous management has driven it into and with the general economic environment. But tough times are also times of opportunity, and with vision and execution I believe the company and series can be better than ever.

The Finale weekend and the Series Banquet demonstrated clearly the new energy that Michael has infused. What a great time, a huge crowd, probably the best season video ever (cdh hit it out of the park-- that thing was worthy of Sundance or Cannes), a brilliantly hilarious musical number courtesy of DD, great food, and a great auction thanks to generous contributions from people like Franz Fleischli (or "Crazy Legs Franz" as I will now call him-- you'll have to ask Franz about that). All we lacked was a driver's pickup band playing covers of "Highway Star," "Helter Skelter," and "Antenna Head."

I cannot wait for next year! In fact, I cannot wait so badly, that I won't. Road Atlanta, here I come!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalytrio
Does that mean youll donate three times as much as you normally would?

ps: Julia, thanks for the challenge, AND the 3 cookies. I do believe I met your quota. As did the whole family of drivers. I don't know the numbers, but I believe Mr. Canadian Subject-o'-the-Queen can confirm that this was close to a record season for the Mechanics Fund. Despite the tough time for financial assets. Which shows the generous heart of this family, and how we look out for each other. Thank you EVERYONE for taking care of the guys who labor late into the night busting their asses to take care of us. Now next year we need do our part and stay on the track and out of each other! I am including myself in that instruction, just so you know. So don't give me any s--t about it.

Last edited by Slowhands; 10-14-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2009
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Photo Re: 2009 Summer Season is in the Books

I see my clown nemesis reappeared at the LRP mower races.........
But could the mojo now be positive
Attached Thumbnails - Click on an Image to Enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	clown-mower.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	3526   Click image for larger version

Name:	clown-mower2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	3527  
Old 10-15-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Re: 2009 Summer Season is in the Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
I see my clown nemesis reappeared at the LRP mower races.........
But could the mojo now be positive
I thought you said that thing was pure evil and should be destroyed!?! This is like a movie where the talisman of evil overwhelms all efforts at destruction by emanating a powerful field of dark force that protects it as it lurks hidden away in some parts trailer lying in wait for the next unsuspecting victim lured by its invisible Faustian attraction, reappearing century after century. Mojo now positive?? Never underestimate the power of evil! Poor Jonatan-- he may never win a Memorial again...or beat Bobo for best lap in the Computer car. And all for a mower race.

Last edited by Slowhands; 10-15-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2009
administrationistperson

I thought is was never to be seen again after being warehoused with the Ark of the Covenant.

Old 10-16-2009
administrationistperson

As to the Summer it was def one for the books.

Never missing an opportunity to goof up at SB I really goofed Saturday night at the banquet. When the video ended everyone was so nice with the applause, cheers, etc, just floored me, really, thank you all so much again. It became apparent I was expected to say something - uh oh, def not my strong suit. Had I given it one second of thought I would have prepared something but as stated, I screwed up.

So here was the PERFECT opportunity to thank the many people that helped with the video.....hello? Doug? Anyone home?? My mind went blank as it does in these situations, I managed to thank Todd and Skip and everyone for giving me fun material to shoot during the summer...but that missed the mark by a mile - so, here is who should have also been acknowledged:

Mike Marino - by far the most crucial ingredient for an exciting SB vid is good in-car video action. Last year I had virtually zero in-car and it showed, that vid was pretty damn flat, bombed. Mike sent me an external drive filled with 200 GB of in-car video, National, Summer Formula, MX-5, tons of it. Thank you very much Mike - and Alex for all her help at race weekends and for being so nice all the time. Mike is so damn busy he couldn't get me clips like he used to, we worked on it and came up with the drive idea, fabulous.

David Cwikowski - You may not know Dave, he has been shooting Connor DePhillippi all summer and sent me a lot of excellent National clips, as well as the opening beach / surf shots , thanks Dave, great guy, very talented videographer/editor, we'll hopefully shoot the 24 together next January.

Pat Daly - for helping with the E-Z Crash script, doing several voice overs till we got the tone I was looking for. He started out Dick Cavett suave sarcasm, I always had Benny Hill / K-Tel in mind. Thanks for putting up with my, shall we say, over zealous direction. Big help, I thought it came out on target. Also for being the E-Z Crash 'talent' at WGI along with Keith. Thanks also for grabbing the Skippycam at VIR and getting some shots that made the final cut, good stuff. And I have never seen so much footage of the VIR pavement and your feet before! Kidding, thanks so much. Also Pat for writing and performing the hit of the night, the old farts sterling rendition of "I'll be Blocking YOU!" Just hilarious, a huge hit guys!

RB, Sid and Jason also grabbed the Skippycam at times and got more video of events I couldn't make, got some really funny stuff. Rob Slonaker shot one of the funniest shots of the summer, Ben Jopling's crash in the final luge turn and the hilarious yell he lets out (which was missed at banquet due to all the laughing, ya gotta see this again ). Rob also suggested the "Normal Luging vs Skip Barber Luging" idea, another big laugh, thanks Rob!!

Rick Roso, Kelly D and Kerry for all the stills you shot and Todd for getting them to me. I'm sure others were clicking away at times so thanks all.

Lee Carpentier, Phil Mather, Mike Spoelker - all sent some of their own in-car video, clips from all of them were used.

Watts and Nicknick - it's simple, point camera at them and let it roll...always a source of good material, thanks to the Duke / Dannan show. Harsha came up with the Nick, Deaf Mute Loser Needs Help gag at Tremblant, good Sen Zen there . Crazy Legs Franz also one of the 'point and shoot' guys, so many funny quips. He asked for a personalized version of the video, that will be fun to cut. Spoke with Franz today and Kathryn is OK, flu still has her knocked out but she's OK.

Peter Stolz, Harpo and Spray for the Spud Patrol stuff at RA, that was a funny morning with Peter's spud cannon, esp with it being Independence Day

Thanks EVERYONE for putting up with me sticking the lens in your faces and for receiving the video so well. There is no doubt the audience has so much to do with it's success or failure, I could not have had a better room.

I have SO much good material that didn't make the cut, I should just do an hour B-Roll of it and include as a second disc with the DVD, that would be easy enough. The mass email from SB about the DVD mentioned 2 additional chapters in the final version, 'spins and hits' and proper 'credits with outtakes' so the DVD is worth getting! New stuff!!! If anyone did not receive the email and wants a copy of the DVD email me and I'll add you to the list. As usual, proceeds will go to the Mechanic's Fund so think of them when ordering. Great year for the fund BTW, thanks Sid, Paul Subject and Stevie Welk for donating his time and printing services in getting the RA t-shirts made, and thanks to all who contributed, the mechanics bust their butts for us and they appreciate the recognition and help.

No doubt there are others to thank I will remember later, if so will add to the thread....

Tons o fun this summer, thanks to everyone at Skip

Last edited by cdh; 10-16-2009 at 02:28 AM.

Tags
2009 finale , banquet , lime rock , videos

Bookmark This Thread