Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 03-11-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 33
Support Me Dance for 18 Straight Hours for AIDS!

Hey Everyone,

This has absolutely nothing to do with cars, but it's a good cause so I figured I'd post. On March 31st - April 1st I will be dancing my butt off for 18 hours straight (1pm-7am) to raise money to give to kids with AIDS. I'm doing this in memory of my only first cousin Michael, who was a hemophiliac, and was infected with HIV when he was 2 after receiving infected Factor 8, a blood clotting medicine. He passed away in his early 20's. I was only 8 years old when he passed away, and never got to know him as well as I wish I could have, so I'm doing this in his honor. I'm trying to raise $250 and would be thrilled if I surpassed my goal! Any little bit anyone can donate I would greatly appreciate.

Here's the link the my fundraising page: http://support.pedaids.org/site/TR/C...nal&fr_id=1200.

Thanks!
Julia
Old 03-28-2012

Re: Support Me Dance for 18 Straight Hours for AIDS!

An update for everyone...

The dance marathon is this weekend, and thus far I've raised $1,195!! Thanks to all my supporters, and future supporters (hint hint )!!
Old 03-29-2012
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Western Re: Support Me Dance for 18 Straight Hours for AIDS!

I cannot imagine dancing for that long. A good cause and one to be supported,
Old 03-29-2012
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
I cannot imagine dancing for that long. A good cause and one to be supported,
If there's anyone who could help Trio with the endurance, it's you and your racing fuel coffee, Redneck
Old 03-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
If there's anyone who could help Trio with the endurance, it's you and your racing fuel coffee, Redneck
Wish I was close enough to supply the coffee. Maybe Julia can make it for everybody. Instructions are posted on this site.
Old 03-29-2012
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Proud of you Julia... and thanks to all who have or will contribute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalytrio View Post
An update for everyone...

The dance marathon is this weekend, and thus far I've raised $1,195!! Thanks to all my supporters, and future supporters (hint hint )!!
Old 03-31-2012
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112
Thumbs up Re: Support Me Dance for 18 Straight Hours for AIDS!

Just spoke with Julia who was about to embark on her 18 hour dance-a-thon.

At registration they made a point of telling her she'd raised a lot of money. When Julia quietly said she was glad to help the cause they said, "No... You don't understand... You've raised the most of anyone here for the dance-a-thon!"

Julia asked me to pass along her heart felt thanks to those who so generously contributed and let anyone know who'd still like to contribute that it's not too late.

If I get any updates I'll pass them along. I believe she's going to be tweeting and texting along the way.

Again big thanks and to all those who helped with this worthy cause.
Old 04-01-2012

Marathon completed!! I went 18 hours without sitting down once, although I did do quite a lot of leaning... Redneck, I could definitely have used your awesome coffee last night...

The experience was really great for me, and I went through a mix of emotions, from enthusiasm to pure exhaustion, throughout the night. I made sure to pace myself with the dancing, but none the less got tired of course... At about the 6th hour I was skeptical that I would be able to make it without sitting down. But the organizers did a great job of keeping us preoccupied. We had mini performances from many dance groups and singing groups from campus, a live band and DJ for part of the night, lots of free food, and little activities. The best part of the night by far though, was seeing a two adopted HIV+ brothers from the foundation we were supporting speak. The boys were 13 years old, and were adorable. They cracked jokes and danced with us, and just seeing them there made the event so much more meaningful to me. One of the boys in particular looked a lot like my cousin, which motivated me to keep on my feet even more. They both looked happy and healthy, which gave me hope that they will live long, prosperous lives, and that all the money we were raising was helping them to do so.

At the end of the night (well, morning actually), they announced that we had raised $16,558.10. This money will be given to help prevent infection from mother to child, and to children already infected. I feel incredibly proud to have contributed to that, and know that the money will really make a difference, as it only takes $19 to give proper care to a pregnant mother so that she will not infect her child.

I cant say thank you enough to everyone who supported, it was great to know that I had friends cheering me on.

Also, if anyone missed out and wants to make a donation to the charity, it is the Elisabeth Glasner Pediatric AIDS Foundation (http://www.pedaids.org/).
Old 04-01-2012

Congratulations !!!!

We are all proud of you. a great cause.

Sorry I was not there to make coffee !!!!

Bookmark This Thread