Old 03-29-2011
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Kimi to NASCAR?!

Did y'all see this? Too cool if true.

Raikkonen to compete in NASCAR

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90331

Former Formula 1 world champion Kimi Raikkonen will make a surprising move to NASCAR this year, the Finn joining the series with a new team.

According to the Turun Sanomat newspaper, Raikkonen - the 2007 world champion - will be racing with the new ICE1 Racing team in the Truck series before moving on to the Nationwide and Sprint Cup series.

He is expected to join the championship from this summer, although no dates are yet confirmed.
Raikkonen will be joining forces with Foster Gillett, who will be a major partner of the team, having worked with Richard Petty Motorsport in NASCAR last year.

Foster's family owned the Montreal Canadiens' NHL franchise and are also former co-owners of the Liverpool football club.

"I'm really looking forward to get there to familiarise to the world of NASCAR," Raikkonen was quoted as saying by Turun Sanomat.
"I have been following it for a long time. I know, it's a very tough and open, top racing series. I just love the American spirit of racing. It feels just great to get involved with that. Obviously, it will be very challenging and great fun for me."

According to the newspaper, the negotiations about which car the ICE1 Racing team will run are about to be completed.
Raikkonen will continue to compete in the World Rally Championship this year, where he has a deal for eight events.
Old 03-29-2011
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Kimi to NASCAR?!

Juan Pablo must be happy.
Old 03-29-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Can you imagine the post-race interviews if he wins? NASCAR works so hard to get the drivers to learn the art of the interview, and Kimi's rather laconic style (he could make Buster Keaton seem wildly animated) will not endear him to many fans in that world.
Old 03-29-2011
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

hahaha its def. gonna be something to watch... o man, the interviews are gonna be something close to amazing! Ice-man @ an oval track! I mean, rallying didn't go as planned for him i'm sure. Should be interesting to see his skills. JPM for sure is excited!

Wasn't Hamilton supposed to be in a Nascar sometime soon as well?
Old 03-30-2011
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

April 1
Old 03-30-2011
Grand Master

That would be hilarious and appropriate if it wasn't dated March 29th. Truth is stranger than fiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
April 1
Old 03-30-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Anyone else find it amusing that his team has "ICE" in the team name?

Old 03-30-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
That would be hilarious and appropriate if it wasn't dated March 29th. Truth is stranger than fiction.
spoofs are best when subtle - WRC for the Kimster
Old 03-30-2011
Grand Master

Well that certainly makes more sense than Kimi competing in Nascar... But when has anything he's done made sense!?
Quote:
spoofs are best when subtle - WRC for the Kimster
Old 03-30-2011
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Well that certainly makes more sense than Kimi competing in Nascar... But when has anything he's done made sense!?
I was sad to hear it was a joke...I was looking forward to it
Old 03-30-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Quote:
I was sad to hear it was a joke...I was looking forward to it
Unless I missed it, there has yet to be a release confirming it is indeed an April Fool's Day Joke... This very well be serious...
Old 03-30-2011
administrationistperson

No idea anymore - I am reading he is starting a Nascar truck team, not sure if he is driving, not sure what is happening - looks like this is part true, part exaggerated
Old 03-31-2011

haha all those faces are hilarious!!! Yeah i found it really funny who he is the IceMan and his team's name/sponser is ICE. Pretty sure that just didn't happen randomly. I read some article's saying that he is gonna start truck series this summer and do some races to get used to oval racing and the competition and than move up to nation wide and sprint cup series. JPM is def. waiting for him to move up!!!
I know this is definitely gonna make me watch some nascar. Last time i watched a full nascar race was when travis pastrana did his 1st race not to long ago.
Old 03-31-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatertownNewbie View Post
Can you imagine the post-race interviews if he wins? NASCAR works so hard to get the drivers to learn the art of the interview, and Kimi's rather laconic style (he could make Buster Keaton seem wildly animated) will not endear him to many fans in that world.

I came rushing over here to postulate on the post-race interview possibilities and, as usual, see that you have beaten me to it.
What's the over/under on how long it will take him to say the name of the car/team/sponsors before he gets to what happened??
Buster Keaton indeed!
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-31-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

on a related note, Champ Car/Indy Lights driver Dan Clarke is switching to NASCAR Canada.

GAHHHH! What's happening with this world?!

Old 03-31-2011

following the easiest way to make a living i suppose...
Old 04-02-2011
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

There you go, it was no April Fools. Very cool news!

Kyle Busch Motorsports on Saturday announced that it has signed former Formula 1 champion Kimi Raikkonen to drive a limited schedule in the Camping World Truck Series during the 2011 season. Raikkonen is scheduled to make his NASCAR debut as a teammate to owner Kyle Busch in the N.C. Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 20.

Raikkonen comes to NASCAR with a resume that includes the 2007 Formula 1 World Drivers' Championship. In his nine-year career in Formula 1, the Finnish driver registered 18 wins and 62 podium finishes. The 31-year old is currently competing for a World Rally Car Championship for his own team, ICE 1 Racing.

"We are honored that Kimi Raikkonen, a former Formula 1 World Drivers' Champion and proven winner, has chosen to start his career in NASCAR with Kyle Busch Motorsports," Busch said. "Adding one of the most talented drivers in the world is a continuation of building a team of proven winners and champions at KBM. I look forward to assisting in Kimi's transition to NASCAR as both an owner and teammate."

"I am really excited to have the opportunity to start my venture into NASCAR with Kyle Busch Motorsports," Raikkonen said. "Kyle is one of the best in NASCAR, and being able to draw on his knowledge will be a valuable asset as I make my transition to a new form of racing. He has put together an experienced team that builds fast race trucks. I look forward to being a part of a team that has proven to be a winner on and off the race track."

"We are extremely excited to have Kimi Raikkonen begin his transition to NASCAR behind the wheel of Kyle Busch Motorsports' Toyota Tundras," KBM general manager Rick Ren said. "As NASCAR looks to expand their fan base and generate further interest in certain demographics, having a former Formula 1 champion with worldwide appeal is a huge deal not just for KBM but for the sport as a whole."

Details of sponsorship and a schedule of races that Raikkonen will compete in will be released at a later date.

Related:
Raikkonen to test with a KBM truck Monday
Old 04-02-2011
administrationistperson

was just stopping by to post this - and there ya have it
Old 04-06-2011
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

NASCAR already allowed Raikkonen right? The best from F1 come to NASCAR
Old 04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdajohn View Post
NASCAR already allowed Raikkonen right? The best from F1 come to NASCAR
yes... i was watching speed report on the speed channel and they had some clips and interviews on Raikkonene already on the track... i didn't get to see what was said but i know he was already testing on an oval.

Bookmark This Thread