Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > F1, IndyCar, Grand-Am, Karting etc Discussions

Old 03-25-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
F1 to come to NY?

From a report in gpupdate.net"
Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has said he is trying to bring the sport back to the United States. The Briton hopes to see the United States Grand Prix return as early as 2012. F1 enjoyed its last race in the US back in 2007 at Indianapolis.

"I'm trying to get F1 to the US in 2012, opposite Manhattan in New Jersey with skyscrapers in the background," Ecclestone was quoted by Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport. "The track would be just fifteen minutes from the city centre of New York. It would be something great."
Does anyone know what and where he is talking about?? Or is this just Bernie being Bernie?
Old 03-25-2010
Team OC/AD D
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1995
Re: F1 to come to NY?

New Jersey, and so I assume that the most likely location would be the Meadowlands parking lot, same venue as where CART used to run in the late 80's and early 90's. Basically, the armpit of NY. Ever been there? It smells wonderful. I can't wait.

From AP source:

MILAN - Formula One cars could be racing with a backdrop of the Manhattan skyline if Bernie Ecclestone gets his way.
The F1 boss wants to help set up a New York Grand Prix in 2012.

"(It would be) in front of Manhattan in New Jersey, with the skyscrapers in the background," Ecclestone said in Thursday's Gazzetta dello Sport. "Fifteen minutes from the center of New York to the circuit would be marvelous."

There hasn't been a grand prix in the United States since 2007, when Lewis Hamilton won in Indianapolis to signal the end to eight years at the circuit.

Before that, Phoenix hosted three grand prix from 1989 to 1991, while Watkins Glen in upstate New York hosted the F1 from 1961 to 1980.

Ecclestone also left the door open for former Renault owner Flavio Briatore to return to the series. The Italian was banned for life after an attempt at race-fixing at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. He overturned the ban in a French court, but Formula One's governing body is appealing the decision.

Briatore recently ruled out a return to the series.

"Why not?" Ecclestone said. "It depends on what he wants to do, but I think he could have a role promoting Formula One."

The 79-year-old Ecclestone also said he has no intention of leaving Formula One any time soon.

"I am happy to continue. I'm well and I'm enjoying myself," he said. "When I'm not, then I will stop. At the moment we are going

through some difficulties and when things are going badly you should lead from the front to try and improve them."
Old 03-25-2010
G-force junkie

The Meadowlands??? UGH. Bernie has gotten too rich and has lost touch with how to build a sport-- the U.S. market needs a longterm perspective if they want to restore a fan base here. And lousy venues, the "skyline in the background" notwithstanding, will not do that.
Old 03-25-2010
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Somehow, the Meadowlands parking lot probably isn't what Bernie had in mind. Armpit of NY? Sy. You gotta get off the Turnpike some day.

I'd still love to see it in Central Park. Kinda like the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix at 200 mph. Well.....maybe not.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-25-2010
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Somehow, the Meadowlands parking lot probably isn't what Bernie had in mind. Armpit of NY? Sy. You gotta get off the Turnpike some day.
I'd still love to see it in Central Park. Kinda like the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix at 200 mph. Well.....maybe not.
So where else is there place? Staten Island? If Benie thinks he is going to get New Yorkers falling over themselves to build him a whole new circuit in New Jersey close enough to see the skyscrapers by 2012 (a la New Delhi, and even that one is hugely controversial back home) , he's been spending too much time in the Middle East.
Old 03-25-2010
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Years ago, Im sure some of you remember, they were trying to build a track on the site of the '64 World's Fair in Flushing Meadow Park. It never happened. Some years later it came out the reason was that the right people weren't getting the consessions. This was under the the control of, I believe his name was, Donald Manes (think he was the borough Pres.) who later shot himself while under investigation for the Parking Violations Bureau scandal.
Old 03-26-2010
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

They could maybe pave over Newark? And parking tickets? How come nobody killed himself over the Big Dig?
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 03-26-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 14

How bout closer to Boston?? Do you think the population and geographic numbers would work?? Will New Yorkers be willing to train it up north?? Bob Kraft has been talking about trying to get Indy cars around his Gilette Stadium ever since he built it. It's right off of 95.
Old 03-26-2010
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Central Park would be incredible but it will never happen. The disruption to traffic and the loss of recreation area for Manhattan would cause an unpleasant uprising. Have run the park drive hundreds of times and often thought about what a great course it would be with fast curves and great elevation changes at the north end of the park.

Hard to say what Bernie's doing regarding NJ. Could be floating a trial balloon to see who or what pops up. Meadowlands would be a high speed autocross shrug even with the Skyline. No good vantage points for viewing. No facilities... Doubt Bob Kraft's pipe dream will come true either... at least with F1. I think New Yorkers would go north for a really compelling venue but none of the one's suggested here fit the bill. I thought the Indy F1 course was worthy and interesting in that historic setting. I'd go to the Glen in a heartbeat to see an F1 race but the blue bushes make that impossible.

In this economy who's got the space, massive infrastructure costs and sky high fees involved in putting on an F1 race? And after they screwed over Indy with the tire debacle race it'll be a long time before someone here invites them back. Hope I'm wrong but think about it... Would you stick your hand in that fan?
Old 03-26-2010

Gallery Images: 6

You know Montreal is a fairly short drive from 60 or so million Americans - come on up to the Canadian Gran Prix - Slowhands you can practice your French - well I mean it is Canadian French not exactly like French French, but, ah you get the picture - tourtiere, poutine, real maple syrup (not that stuff Dom sells) - please come, we love you all.... well most of you, we really like green backs.... lots of 'em.
Old 03-26-2010
Grand Master

We should do a Skippyforums group F1 junket package deal. Who puts those deals together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Subject View Post
You know Montreal is a fairly short drive from 60 or so million Americans - come on up to the Canadian Gran Prix - Slowhands you can practice your French - well I mean it is Canadian French not exactly like French French, but, ah you get the picture - tourtiere, poutine, real maple syrup (not that stuff Dom sells) - please come, we love you all.... well most of you, we really like green backs.... lots of 'em.
Old 03-27-2010

Gallery Images: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
We should do a Skippyforums group F1 junket package deal. Who puts those deals together?
Hey DD - here is a website I found for travel to the Canadain GP http://www.gptours.com/Canadian-Grand-Prix looks like a good deal on tickets, as usual a lot of the 4 star hotels are sold out but I am sure you can find decent accomodation in Montreal on race weekend? Who is planning on going?
Old 03-27-2010
G-force junkie

If we could get up a group to go, it would be a lot of fun. On peut s'amuser bien. (Sorry, Dom, but as you say, in Canada it's not really French anyway.)
Old 03-28-2010

i think a road trip to montreal for a grand prix will just make the race that much better but having once as well in the US would also be a treat!
Old 05-04-2010
G-force junkie

It's........(drum roll).......Jersey City!

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-...rack-proposal/
Old 05-04-2010

yeah i was just reading on a forum that its will most likely be held in northern NJ.... I dont think it will be ready by 2012 but in the near future maybe. I think it will be great having an F1 event here in the US but it wont be as crazy as it would be in the other races over sea's as its so much bigger over there than here... but idc, i just cant wait to c the outcome
Old 05-04-2010
Team OC/AD D

More, from GrandPrix.com:
Jersey City plan to revive US GP?

A report in the Jersey Journal suggests that plans are afoot to host a possible F1 race in Liberty State Park, possibly at night and with the New York City skyline as backdrop.

Preliminary talks are believed to have already taken place with a proposal outlining a 3.6-mile road course and the possibility of a Singapore-style event to run from 2012. "The incredible backdrop of the New York skyline will not only boost ticket sakes but also provide striking TV footage," said the proposal.

In a similar move to the early opposition to the Melbourne race in Albert Park, however, 'The Friends of Liberty State Park' have already written to the Jersey City mayor, complaining that such race plans fly in the face of the park's intended use as a haven, with nature areas and a habitat for walking, biking and jogging.

Mayor Healy admitted that there have been preliminary conversations but said that plans were "very much in the exploratory phase" and "may not be something that are in the best interest of Jersey City or Liberty State Park."

With the US Grand Prix missing from the F1 schedule since the 2007 race at Indianapolis, a number of teams are more than keen to see it revived and with Canada now reinstated to the schedule, believe a North American double-header still makes most sense in marketing terms. Speculation was furthered when former Indy boss Tony George, who is believed still to have some sort of naming rights, was spotted talking to Bernie Ecclestone in Shanghai.

The City That Never Sleeps could hardly claim that a Formula 1 race would be too intrusive and it could be that an opportunity to boost business activity on the more industrial Jersey side of the Hudson River could be a fit for the type of investment needed to satisfy Ecclestone's demands and make the race viable.
Old 05-05-2010
Team OC/AD D

Old 05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude View Post
which is the one that will most likely be the track? the dotted lined one? assuming that will be a better track the the lighter solid purple line
Old 05-05-2010
Grand Master

The way you get permission to use the park is you have integral to the deal a high quality upgrade of the park and its facilities that the state (and New Jersey is currently all about budget and service cuts that are really pissing people off) could never afford to do in this economy. The event will showcase the state in a positive light, bring in millions and leave them with a state park upgrade they would never be able to afford otherwise. What's not to like?
Old 05-05-2010
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Re: F1 to come to NY? ... or not

... or not

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83332

Some unhappy people stopped that quick.
Old 05-05-2010

Re: F1 to come to NY? ... or not

^^^ bummer... can't believe that only after 1 day it was already denied... pshh
Old 05-05-2010
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

I'd have been shocked if this ever got any traction (go ahead ), wrong venue, been many attempts over the years for tri-state area racing - Wiki:

Meadowlands Sports Complex New Jersey - Auto racing

In 1983, a Formula One auto race was planned for the New York City area. A temporary street circuit at the Meadowlands Sports Complex was one of the finalists for the location. A course at Flushing Meadows Park, in the New York City borough of Queens, was chosen, but the event was canceled before the first running. In July 1984, the CART IndyCar series held the first Meadowlands Grand Prix on a temporary circuit built in the Giants Stadium parking lot. The race was only moderately successful, and crowds were mediocre at best. In 1988, the course layout was moved to the streets surrounding Brendan Byrne Arena and redesigned to a 1.2-mile, six-turn layout in an effort to improve competition. The race continued until 1991, and crowds continued to stay away. In addition, from 1988–1991 the race was part of the Marlboro Million, a cash prize awarded to any driver who won the Marlboro Grand Prix, the Marlboro 500, and the Marlboro Challenge All-Star event in the same year. The prize was never won. In 1992, race officials announced plans to move the race to Manhattan, using a street course at the World Trade Center. Within a few months, however, the race was cancelled due to cost concerns.

In the early 2000s, conceptual plans were drafted to build a NASCAR-style speedway at the Meadowlands Sports Complex, as part of a revitalizing project. However, the plan was rejected, and abandoned.

However, NASCAR proposed a race track to be built on New York's Staten Island and completed by 2011, but that plan fell through and the plans for the track at the Meadowlands Sports Complex have been revived, possibly building the track around the horse track, but NASCAR CEO Brian France has said that there are no plans for NASCAR to go to the Meadowlands, at least for now. But that doesn't mean NASCAR won't be in the Meadowlands in the future, there's even a chance they may go to the recently built New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville.
Old 05-05-2010
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
The way you get permission to use the park is you have integral to the deal a high quality upgrade of the park and its facilities that the state (and New Jersey is currently all about budget and service cuts that are really pissing people off) could never afford to do in this economy. The event will showcase the state in a positive light, bring in millions and leave them with a state park upgrade they would never be able to afford otherwise. What's not to like?
Bernie's fee is $30M. And I believe he takes a pretty big cut from other revenue such as concessions. Which leaves very little besides ticket sales from which to generate a pretty big chunk of change from an American open wheel audience that has shriveled. That was the problem at Indy, which was an established, dedicated racing venue. The community has to take a pretty risky bet, especially given it is a total newbie to the racing shell game. Only hope would be for some deep-pocketed entity to guarantee it (the way foreign governments have done for the new "fly-away" venues), don't see that happening.
Old 05-06-2010
Grand Master

It all depends on who wants to make it happen and why. Anywhere in the New York City area is problematic because it will impact a lot of people who don't care about racing. Power, politics and money become the deciders. The Indy 500 used to be an important impactful national event and open wheel racing had prestige. Now it's an afterthought. F1 is higher profile than any US racing except NASCAR but that's not saying much because it has never drawn big crowds here. I know the blue bushes are a safety issue but wish they'd go back to the Glen.
Old 05-06-2010
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Blue bushes at Watkins Glen an issue? What about Monaco?

Yes, yes, history, much slower corner speeds, awesome location, plenty of reasons to justify Monaco. I think the Glen would work if someone really wanted it to. I can understand, however, how hard it must be to make a single weekend event work with the hefty sanctioning fee.

That plus the thought of the Seneca Lodge charging $400/night.

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 05-06-2010
Grand Master

Monaco's grandfathered in because it's a unique animal. Every other F1 track has much more runoff required. But even if the safety issues could be overcome there is no way a track essentially owned and operated by NASCAR would give 30 million to Bernie and no way the Watkins Glen region could generate enough money to support that either.
The only thing worse than $400 a night Seneca Lodge rooms would be $500 a night Falls Motel rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Blue bushes at Watkins Glen an issue? What about Monaco?

Yes, yes, history, much slower corner speeds, awesome location, plenty of reasons to justify Monaco. I think the Glen would work if someone really wanted it to. I can understand, however, how hard it must be to make a single weekend event work with the hefty sanctioning fee.

That plus the thought of the Seneca Lodge charging $400/night.
Old 05-25-2010
Team OC/AD D

As noted elsewhere on this forum, any NY venue is officially dead, and is instead going to Austin, TX.

Tags
formula 1 , new york , usgp

Bookmark This Thread