Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 05-27-2007
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Watkins Glen race weekend

I'd like to thank everyone at SB for a great Watkins Glen weekend! The racing was great, and it the weather held off making it one of the best weekends I've been to at the glen in a while.

I have one question though which is that the previous two years I've been to the glen the race was 12 laps long, and this year it was only 10 laps long. Does anyone know why it would have been shortened by two laps over previous years?
Old 05-28-2007
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Re: Watkins Glen race weekend

Keith Watts said the cars ran out of fuel after 11 laps, so they made the races 10 to be safe (in case there was a long caution). Don't know what changed on the cars to make them run out of fuel earlier (Hanford? Fuel cell? Engine tune?).
Old 05-28-2007

That's interesting. Hopefully they can compensate for that with the new car, as I felt that 10 laps was a bit on the short side.
Old 05-28-2007
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMMotorsports
Keith Watts said the cars ran out of fuel after 11 laps, so they made the races 10 to be safe (in case there was a long caution). Don't know what changed on the cars to make them run out of fuel earlier (Hanford? Fuel cell? Engine tune?).
I'm pretty sure Keith said it's a new fuel cell. my guess would be baffles in the cell. (Someone who knows what they're talking about please feel free to jump right in here ) I heard this weekend that a long time ago in a galaxy far far away the cars used to run close to an hour on a tank. Now THAT would be fun.

What a fantastic weekend! My first ever weekend at the mythical Glen, one that almost didn't happen because I was "supposed to be in India." I was seriously intimidated by all the blue armco and catch fencing on seeing the track for the first time (felt like being on the set of American Motorsports Gladiator or Hamster Rollerball), but after one session with JP, it was "Holy s--t, what a freaking awesome track!!!"

The nerves really set in when Rick Balsley walked up to me, shook my hand, and said, "Welcome to Championship" with this sly smile on his face. Turns out the Sportsman groups were so large they had to shove me upstairs in order to avoid violating Doug's Champ group minimum size specifications. Didn't quite know how I felt about it but thought, "well I'm here to get better, right?"

He should have said "Welcome to the shark tank." Cranking the gears up through the Esses, the tidy and innocuous-looking single file explodes into an angry swarm of Attack Hamsters screaming down the back straight at 120, out of nowhere the single car behind me becomes seven, in front of me, beside me, all over me, 2, 3, sometimes briefly four wide, sliding side-by-side through the Bus Stop at 90 trying to keep it on the track, somehow getting through without hitting each other, running nose-to-gearbox down to the Toe and back up, F1-style outbraking passes in the Heel, and then on the last lap, 4 cars trying to stuff their way into 9 at the same time-- man the place was rockin'. Love them Hamsters!

The rain stayed away, but unfortunately the Glen claimed its victims in the dry-- an entire hauler's worth of framed cars (eleven--is that a record?) including one where Kasey tried to land his helicopter on the front straight without clearing it with Nick Nick first (glad you're ok, Kasey--that was scary!). Kasey bounced back and was in the zone on Sunday--amazing mental strength! I escaped tagging anything when I caught the painted exit kerbing with my right rear coming out of 9 and got turned around (thanks David for doing a great job of missing me!) and survived my first weekend in Champ. And you're right, DD and CDH, it forces you to get better FAST.

Who's coming to the Invitational?

ps: congrats Leland on back-to-back wins! Smooth, error-free, flag-to-flag, anticlimactic. The way it should be done.
Old 05-28-2007

Gallery Images: 482

Harsha, thanks for the kind words. The weekend certainly exceeded my expectations! And thus I am led unto temptation -- I'll be back for the Invitational in two weeks. See you there!

P.S. -- I've posted a few photos from the weekend under the category Watkins Glen International May 2007.
Old 05-28-2007
Punisher
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

"Hamster Rollerball." That's about right.

Great job to everybody who was at Watkins Glen this weekend.
Old 05-28-2007

Gallery Images: 1

Great to see everyone this weekend. We sure dodged a bullet with the weather on Sunday. It rained like hell at about 3:00 pm on my drive home.

Harsha, you stepped up and showed strong in the champ group. Congratulations on two solid races. You belong there. You also learned about the bell on Friday night....ding! Thanks for driving us home.

As for the helicopter ride, take off is pretty easy. No real skill is required at all. Just turn in early to assure a wide exit, use quick hands to unsettle the car and assure you will be sliding by the apex, lift in the middle of the corner once you realize your headed for the wall and thats all there is to it. Kablammo! It helps if you're trying to keep up with John Greist too.

I was lucky to not be hurt. Thanks to the mechanics for a solid race car.

See you guys at RA.
Old 05-28-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreist
Great job to everybody who was at Watkins Glen this weekend.
Revere, I enjoyed talking to you Sunday afternoon. I also like history, a little further back though, 500 B.C. We think we know everything. They already had it figured out by then.

BTW, did you get to race at all? Never saw you on the track.

oh, that's right, you just mailed it in per usual...

Last edited by Slowhands; 05-28-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2007
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf360m
That's interesting. Hopefully they can compensate for that with the new car, as I felt that 10 laps was a bit on the short side.
Speaking of the new car, wasn't it supposed to be completed earlier this year? There was so much fanfare, testing, little sneak previews, then silence. Is it still in the pipeline?
Old 05-28-2007
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 7

Thank you everyone for a great weekend. Cannot wait to see everyone again at RA.

Sorry, will not make the Invitational but I am going to watch the National race at Cleveland.

Good luck at the Watkins again in two weeks.

Marc
Old 05-28-2007
Skippy Instructor

Great track. Great Racing. Great group of friends! You can spend more money but hard to have more fun. Congrats to so many that stepped up to Championship level this weekend.

BTW Harsha the pre-Dodge, Formula Ford 1600 got better fuel mileage and the fule pump was outside the fuel cell so more capacity. With the Dodge conversion in 1995(?) an internal fuel pump reduced total fuel to approximately 30 minutes. Yes there were a couple of epic 36 car 45min+ memorials at MidOhio in 93 & 94 with a Handford style draft.

JP
Old 05-28-2007
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

I also had a great weekend at Watkins Glen. I was a little nervous at first to be moved up to the champ group however I am very happy to be racing with all of you. This weekend was by far the best racing I have had with Skip Barber. I hope to see you all at Road America.

Zach
Old 05-29-2007
Punisher

I know I'm repeating myself, but great weekend. This is the kind of event that builds the foundations for friendship and cameraderie that extends beyond a single season.

Congratulations to everyone who stepped up to the Championship group!
Old 05-29-2007
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

This is a HUGE thank you to everybody for the great weekend at THE GLEN. You Skippy guys who made me feel welcome from the get go. The drivers and their friends who all seemed to have a great time. Even the corner workers who cheered at the end of the race as if they had seen racing for the first time.
My only regret is that I didn't have the ability to introduce myself to everyone there. The people I did introduce myself to were wonderful. I haven't raced in two years, but everyone I talked to made me feel so welcome. I spoke to many drivers about strategy and race driving; every conversation gave me HONEST and useful info.
Thanks for everything. I had a Blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps Michele; I wore my hazmat suit and still loved the Seneca Lodge. They just dont make places like this anymore. THANK GOD!!!!
Old 05-29-2007
Diesel Demon

We're newbie's to SB Race Weekends, but this far exceeded expectations. Where does one begin ? Great weather (I'm sure someone ordered that up), superb hospitality and camaraderie by racers and SB alike, a great mentor (thanks so much John Greist, your help was invaluable), coaching and feedback to the nth degree that helped make a first timer feel at ease, even for his first start !

I missed getting a lot of your names, but thanks, to everyone, again. Susan loved the whole show too, what more could I ask for ?

Looking forward to Lime Rock !!!

Gary
Old 05-29-2007
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc998M
Thank you everyone for a great weekend. Cannot wait to see everyone again at RA.

Sorry, will not make the Invitational but I am going to watch the National race at Cleveland.

Good luck at the Watkins again in two weeks.

Marc
Marc:
Congrats on the strong showing at the Glen.

I was planning to go watch the Cleveland race as well. Does anyone know anything about visitors to this race? Specifically, do they give passes to Skippy racers and if not what is the set up in terms of getting into the paddock to visit with the Skippy folks amidst all the Champ car activity?
Old 05-29-2007
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Thanks to everyone for making my first win (Saturday) an experience I'll never forget. It was a really exciting event and something I'll cherish forever, where-ever my racing dreams end up taking me. Thanks to John Greist, Joel Jackson and the rest of the championship class for a great race. Sadly, my accident on Sunday (my second deductable in as many races, dating back to Mid-Ohio last year) will likely hold me out of action for the duration of the summer. I look forward to seeing all of you again soon! Good luck and have fun!

Jeff Castellano
Old 05-30-2007
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Sorry I couldn't make it, WGI always exciting. Are the rumors I heard of LEAD-FOLLOW INSTRUCTORS bending race cars true?? Sounds like there were great video/photo opportunities, did anyone get pics and vid? If so I could use for banquet vids, get your name on the big screen, please post a reply or email me and let me know, thanks....

OOPS, didn't read all new posts, got the bent car info, thanks........send me pics/video please!

Last edited by cdh; 05-30-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

OK... where do I start. First off, thank you ALL for coming to the Glen and for really being prepped and ready and we got all the groups in ever single day. I hate rushing or pushing customers, but it had to happen at the Glen. They are tight with us on track time.
The Tank- We used to use a fuel bladder in the cars. Many of them still have them, many do not. You can pull up the seat back and see if it is a hard or soft(bladder) tank. I think we went to the hard tank because of either availablity or something about the fuel pump not fitting it anymore or something. I believe the fuel pump that we use now is the Bosch with part number 0580254979 . I remember when we tested out this pump and replaced the stock Neon pump. The Neon pump could pump the amount and required fuel pressure and flow. What happens when you run any modern street car or this car for that matter low on fuel=overheated pump. Believe it or not, they design internal fuel pumps with the fuel to cool the pump. These are not reciprocating(positive displacement) pumps, but impellor and duct style. They pull 4 times the amperage of a typical reciprocal pump that many drag cars and older street cars use. In short, we burned out a bunch of the small, stock pumps. The pump in it now is much larger (there went 1 lap). Then the hard tank (there went 1 lap) replaced the bladder. Not to mention that the larger pump could overcome slosh when it got real low (last lap stuff and right handers if I remember correct, i.e. Carousel RA).
So, between the hard cell and the new style pump(really 2 years old now), that lost us the 2 laps. I had RB run a car out of fuel and it would do 11 laps.... but then figure in your warm up, that's 10+1.

Thanks again guys, feel free to jab sticks and suggestions at me as always!

FYI- We had 4 new cars from Lime Rock and all had new, but old style bladders. I'll dig into this and see whats up. I'd love to make your races longer.
Old 05-30-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Ok, I shouldn't but I am...
New car... I don't know anything more than you all, but I will say this.
I think the fuel capacity in the newer style cars LIKE we have will hold 15-18 gallons. This about 3 times what you have now. Food for thoughts!
Old 05-30-2007

Thanks for the really detailed response to the fuel tank sizes. It's much appreciated! Hopefully the new car will have a larger tank, and we can therefore have slightly longer races. 25-30 minutes would be perfect! Is there any inof on when the new car will arrive?

I think the SB staff did a great job in getting the races and practice seesions going on time with as little rushing as possible.

Also thanks to everyone who I raced against in group one for being good, clean racers! I had some great dices throughout the races, and the starts where close and exciting! I have a break now until Mont Tremblant. Hopefully RA and LR will be fun for everyone attending them.
Old 05-30-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

You are very welcome. Unlike the airlines, we try to treat our customers as if they are part of the team(you are) and you are driving for us. If there is an issue, we want you to at least know about it. By the way, who are you? I have a hard time putting screen names to real names here! Ha, thanks.
Old 05-30-2007
G-force junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92
I think the fuel capacity in the newer style cars LIKE we have will hold 15-18 gallons. This about 3 times what you have now. Food for thoughts!

what am I thinking??? new car? in this life time?

Sorry.
Old 05-30-2007

Quote:
You are very welcome. Unlike the airlines, we try to treat our customers as if they are part of the team(you are) and you are driving for us. If there is an issue, we want you to at least know about it. By the way, who are you? I have a hard time putting screen names to real names here! Ha, thanks.
Yeah screen names can be interesting! Anyway, real name is Russell - I was in the 44 all weekend.
Old 05-30-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

And ... you also earned two top 5's, or top 4's for that matter right?
Old 05-30-2007

Quote:
And ... you also earned two top 5's, or top 4's for that matter right?
Yup, two 4th places. Couldn't quite make the podium. Maybe next race I should drive the 33? (or better yet the 11!)
Old 05-30-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Absolutely! 11 it is!
Old 05-30-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

SlowHands... no idea of the release... It's going to happen though... they are positive of that...
Old 05-30-2007
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 7

Keith,

What about hanging some F-16 style fuel pods of the side of the car? If nothing else I would bet that there would be some very clean racing (i.e. not bumping).

Or may be a five gallon can in the drivers lap. Who am I kidding. Any longer than 10 laps and I would throw up in my helmet.

Thanks for the explaination.

Marc #93 all weekend

Gotta love sharing a car with Potter. Returned without a scratch.
Old 05-30-2007

Jim and everyone

i concur it was a great weekend, good racing, good friends and lots of smiles.

I'm sure I'll be joining the champ boys very soon, looking forward to it.

don
Old 05-31-2007
Punisher

I like the idea of external fuel tanks. The real strategery would involve the right moment to jettison them.

Also, I've decided that "push to pass" (a la Champ Car) is for wimps. What we really need (Todd: are you listening?) is roll-bar mounted JATO jets. We would go from "push to pass" to "push to orbit," and in every race there would be at least one candidate for the Darwin awards. Question: are you responsible for crash damage if all they can find is a fingernail and a bit of hair?
Old 05-31-2007
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreist
Question: are you responsible ... if all they can find is a fingernail and a bit of hair?
Phil Spector's lawyers hope the answer is "NO".
Old 05-31-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands
...in order to avoid violating Doug's Champ group minimum size specifications.

ps: congrats Leland on back-to-back wins! Smooth, error-free, flag-to-flag, anticlimactic. The way it should be done.
oooooh God.......I seem to have created a monster.

Lee, WTG buddy, you beat the field by 8 seconds each race, WELCOME TO CHAMP GROUP

photoshops of JATO assisted R/T's in the pipeline
Old 05-31-2007
administrationistperson

Quote:
I have a hard time putting screen names to real names here! Ha, thanks.
KW - click on a screen name or avatar for user profile....
Old 05-31-2007
Apex? Huhh? What Apex?

Ok... let's just do this guys... drive a race car made from a gas tank... actually , they do. They are called Lakesters. Most came from P-38's or from the infamous seaplane...... the PBY! You can buy these tanks from P-38's or the PBY for around $200.... pretty neat..
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1047...31933125OuTPZJ
Old 05-31-2007
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Wow... That's really neat.

Must be a tad hot and loud inside that thing...
Old 05-31-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
KW - click on a screen name or avatar for user profile....
Problem is too many users are unwilling to add their real names to profile, or sign posts with a real name. I use an obvious screen name and sign my posts with my name. Been posting on message boars for many years and never had a problem with using my name. Of course Don Van is not my real name but something I've used for 30 years...long story from my southeast asia days.

don
Old 05-31-2007

Gallery Images: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
Of course Don Van is not my real name ...
I KNEW it! An alias. So what IS your real name?

Is that why you got all nervous when I asked you if you were from New Jersey?
Old 05-31-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey
As for the helicopter ride, take off is pretty easy. No real skill is required at all. Just turn in early to assure a wide exit, use quick hands to unsettle the car and assure you will be sliding by the apex, lift in the middle of the corner once you realize your headed for the wall and thats all there is to it. Kablammo! It helps if you're trying to keep up with John Greist too.

I was lucky to not be hurt. Thanks to the mechanics for a solid race car.

See you guys at RA.
All pilots know take offs are easier than landings. Glad yours wasn't worse and that the hot fluids weren't too hot.

RA will be "new" for all of us, so extra fun.
Old 05-31-2007

Quote:
I'll dig into this and see whats up. I'd love to make your races longer.
Thanks Keith. Longer is better and we've definitely gotten shorter while the price keeps going up, proving that racing ain't IT, and reminding us of Rob Walker's enduring aphorism: To make a small fortune, take a large one and go racing.

Bookmark This Thread