Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 04-05-2013
somewhere out there
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Lotus 49 onboard of a modern F1 track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Opzzn9sl1kU
Old 04-05-2013
somewhere out there

Re: Lotus 49 onboard of a modern F1 track

My apologies for anyone made uncomfortable by the downshifts.
Old 04-08-2013
Burger Flipper #2
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossfeld View Post
My apologies for anyone made uncomfortable by the downshifts.
No Kidding...
One of the deficiencies of the modern era driver. I remember Rossi when he ran in the Western Series and his footwork has not improved.
Old 04-08-2013
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

This lack of skill in proper downshifting of that box reminded me of a thread from back when - topic was sequential or H box in any new / improved SB formula car for the school...which way to go. My point was -

"Sequentials are great trans, almost no-brainers to operate properly and that's one of the reasons I would like to see a crash box remain as part of the school curriculum. I found mastering well-timed, double-clutching heel/toe downshifts in the school car one of the most satisfying accomplishments of my 3 day school. There are still many series where this skill is de rigeur. Vintage racing of all sorts, SCCA open and closed wheel cars abound with H patterned shifters....keep teaching the old school crash box, you never know when you might get a chance to drive some delicious vintage machine, would be a shame to muck it all up."

Thread here, interesting reading for many reasons, but I think the Rossi / L49 video more than backs up my point...tsk tsk...and Jimmy's car no less, egad!! NOW, I do not recall what type trans he learned on at Skip, was a while back, probably a crash box....guess it didn't take, as Rob mentioned. Then again, who could get into that car and deal with it properly???? He did OK
Old 04-09-2013
somewhere out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslonaker View Post
No Kidding...
One of the deficiencies of the modern era driver. I remember Rossi when he ran in the Western Series and his footwork has not improved.
Oh he's been through World O'Skip? I knew he'd done Formula BMW but that's a levered sequential box so I thought he'd at least have an idea of a bit of revving on the downshift.
Old 04-09-2013
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

These downshifts sound like mine the first day at my 3 day.

After "encouragement" from the staff on giving the car a good YUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNGGGGAAAAA!
I was rewarded with the "very rare indeed" comment...... A little too much YUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNGG!

I still drive my own manual shift car and heel and toe every time. My wife always says that I have "Happy Feet" going on under the dash. She doesn't know how right she is.
Old 04-11-2013
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Big smiles on the "Happy Feet" George.

We're all sad to see how fast the skill set of double clutching and rev matching with the feet is going away. Even if Rossi got good at it in his time with Skippy, (though Rob suggests footwork wasn't his strength) He probably hasn't driven a crash box type tranny since then and certainly not in an open wheel car, so as Doug suggests, there was enough going on just warming the tires, managing the track, the unfamiliar priceless vintage race car and trying not to embarrass himself, that getting a proper blip kind of fell off the awareness map.

As a sidebar had the chance to drive a Porcshe Boxter with the PDK tranny the other day and really enjoyed its automated blips for downshifts. Was sad I couldn't do it myself but must admit, since I don't drive a stick all the time the tranny made me look and sound like Fangio every time. My ego loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
These downshifts sound like mine the first day at my 3 day.

After "encouragement" from the staff on giving the car a good YUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNGGGGAAAAA!
I was rewarded with the "very rare indeed" comment...... A little too much YUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNGG!

I still drive my own manual shift car and heel and toe every time. My wife always says that I have "Happy Feet" going on under the dash. She doesn't know how right she is.
Old 04-12-2013
red mist junkie

Gallery Images: 2

Just to let you know how far down the food chain technology has come.
I am driving a Dodge Dart with the Dual Dry Clutch Automatic transmission.
When I am driving in shiftable mode, the down shifts are quick and the throttle blips, and rev matching, are textbook heel and toe....... Only thing is..... I'm just braking.

I looked into it, and the transmission itself is the same 6 speed manual trans in the Dual Dry Clutch AND the 6 speed manual.
Just the shifting and clutch release are done automatically.

All of this for about $22,000 bucks. Even the Normal people can have the fun stuff.

George
Old 04-17-2013
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Finesse notwithstanding, I could not escape the feeling that Grand Prix Legends had sprung to life. What a thrill to sit in Jimmy's car, let alone drive it.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Bookmark This Thread