Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Everything Else. Cars, Fun, Politics & More

Old 09-12-2006
Chris Hawley
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Videos Yay, My Helix Video Came!

On my six hundred and eighty fourth trip to the mailbox, at precisely 3:15:12 PM yesterday, my Helix DVD magically appeared. I left all the other mail in the box, grabbed the video, and ran into my house!

The video definitely lived up to my expectations. As most of you already know, it's an invaluable educational tool. I can see exactly where I went wrong and lost time. I absolutely love it.

Anyway, I broke the video up and lowered the quality so it could fit on Youtube. The resolution isn't horrible, but I'm relatively disappointed with the sound quality. Compression of the audio track caused artifacts that make the low revs sound like some sort of power-up from a video game. Maybe I just need to shell out some $$$ for a quality DVD ripper.

I'll shutup now. Here's the in-car video of my second Skip Barber race (first dry race):

<-- cool down lap and ice-water to the crotch

Enjoy!

Last edited by L8Apex; 09-12-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2006
administrationistperson
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795
Re: Yay, My Helix Video Came!

Hey Chris, thanks for your contributions and congratulations on a fine drive. Do you have a list of where the highlights are (by playback timer)? I need the short attention span theater version .

Speaking of short attention spans, LOL your signature
Old 09-12-2006
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Good Stuff Chris.

Glad that video finally arrived as the path to the mailbox must be worn smooth and your shoe leather needing replacement as well.

Lots of quick hands opposite lock speed adjustments going on there. What a great start to your Skippy racing days.

Congratulations!
Old 09-12-2006
Chris Hawley

Thanks for the compliments, Pat.

Doug, I've put together a shorter (highlights) version of the video that's 8 mins and 49 secs long. It takes me five minutes to pass the 2nd and 1st place guys, then the rest is footage of me passing lap traffic. On my last lap (right at the end of the video), two cars make contact (I think they do, at least) in front of me. I wasn't about to get involved in that, so I just slowed down and watched the show.

Old 09-12-2006
administrationistperson

Excellent, I'll check it out. What are you using to capture, edit, encode, etc. or are you just ripping these and uploading as is?

Good thing you were able to stay back, away from those backmarkers on the final lap. Wouldn't have been the first time someone tossed a good finish because of lapped traffic, sounds as if you had a sizable gap back to P2?
Old 09-12-2006
Chris Hawley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Excellent, I'll check it out. What are you using to capture, edit, encode, etc. or are you just ripping these and uploading as is?
Well, normally I use a Canon ZR20 as my digicam, but this vid was captured by the people at Helix. I received the DVD in the mail and went to work ripping BACK to WMV with.... "Magic DVD Ripper." Then I just used Windows Movie Maker, imported the massive WMV, split it up, added transitions and effects, then exported to a format with a lower bit rate. For the sake of convenience (and ONLY for the sake of convenience), I used Youtube for the uploading/hosting of the vids. Incidentally, Youtube's policy was the only reason I had to split the video up into chunks, as they only allow a maximum clip length of 10 minutes and a maximum file size of 100 MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh
Good thing you were able to stay back, away from those backmarkers on the final lap. Wouldn't have been the first time someone tossed a good finish because of lapped traffic, sounds as if you had a sizable gap back to P2?
Yep, I did have a sizeable lead. I'm assuming that it was about fifteen seconds there on the last lap, because I lost a huge chunk of time slowing down for the action and was still ahead of P2 by over eight seconds at the finish line. Honestly, I didn't care how I placed in the race on Saturday or the race on Sunday. All I cared about was that I a) didn't hit another car, b) didn't hit a solid object, and c) didn't go four-off during the race. I knew that any of those three things would cost me money AND the race. Not good.
Old 09-12-2006
administrationistperson

Part One
Got it. Can you export the edited timeline out of Movie Maker as an avi or a wmv with no loss (100%)? If yes, take that file and encode with Windoze Media Encoder, free DL from MS, nice encoder, gives you a lot of control, and it's free, probably on your PC already.

Part Two
Holy crap! I just watched it, that was close. You were using your head, but also having fun blasting by backmarkers - yeah baby.

Bookmark This Thread