Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 08-14-2012
Podium Regular / Advanced Member (50+ Posts)

Roll Call: August 13th Lime Rock 2-Day Advanced Formula School

Hey guys,

We just completed the two-day advanced course at LRP, and I'm starting this thread so all of us in the class can sort of meet here if we want to stay in contact. We botched the introductions (didn't do 'em), so we didn't get to know each other real well.

I'll also be posting pics and videos here in case you want to check it out.

For Tony: here's the spin
http://youtu.be/2w1PJ8GlPbw

So sweet!

Ryan #75
Old 08-15-2012
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: Roll Call: August 13th Lime Rock 2-Day Advanced Formula School

Nice work yesterday Ryan.
Lots of seat time and progress by everyone. Good fun running on track helping you guys figure it out. Sorry we didn't get any rain. Looking forward to your pics and video.

Pat
Old 08-15-2012

Thanks, I have a good clip of you coming out of nowhere into T1 and boxing me out. Love it!
Old 08-15-2012
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr427 View Post
Thanks, I have a good clip of you coming out of nowhere into T1 and boxing me out. Love it!
Old 08-15-2012
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

Love the soundtrack!
Old 08-16-2012
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

Pat Daly

The Man
The Myth
The Legend

Still Pickin on the Kids

And Lovin It !!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2012
Grand Master

Based on reports of your good work in the Lotus... Right back atcha' George!

With all due respect this was just paying it forward.

Vividly recall my advanced 2-day as veteran instructor Stephan Bastrzycki passed me repeatedly in places I didn't know existed as passing opportunities. Thought I was really challenging the uphill until Stephan went by me... At the crest of the hill! My favorite moment was attempting to stay with Stephan on the outside of big bend as he came down for an inside pass. Had heard an outside pass around big bend was technically possible so gave up the inside and tried to stay side by side with him. To Stephan's delight I quickly ran out of talent and harmlessly slid off the outside of the turn. Doh!

Those on-track sessions with instructors were incredibly humbling and instructive. Was thrilled to be handling speeds and situational awareness I'd never dreamed possible while also realizing being fast in my 2-day group didn't hold a candle to what a fast instructor could do. The first of many times I'd be humbled in a race car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE View Post
Pat Daly

The Man
The Myth
The Legend

Still Pickin on the Kids

And Lovin It !!!!!!!

Last edited by dalyduo; 08-17-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2012
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
Vividly recall my advanced 2-day as veteran instructor Stephan Bastrzycki passed me repeatedly in places I didn't know existed as passing opportunities.
A few years ago, thanks to Mikel Miller, I was able to do a regular lapping session at Laguna Seca (where I also did my ADV 2-day) during the final session of an ongoing ADV 2-day school. During my own school I repeatedly found myself saying "How in the world can you go that fast offline?" On this particular day, having gained in the meantime some experience behind the wheel, I found myself behind some tentative students and was saying "How in the world can you be online and go that slow?" It's all a matter of learning the craft.
Old 08-17-2012
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Ryan #75, LRP 8/13-14. I was the slow guy in #80. Seemed like it was a very fast group in general. I couldn't get rid of that voice in the back of my head when screaming down the downhill, looking into straight, "you cant possibly go this fast through this turn, compression or not, why are you trying to kill us!" The speed the young guys were carrying was impressive to see, as I was more speedbump for them than competitive. All in all a good time for myself. I believe next step will 2-day at different track. I have done 3-day and 2 2-days at LRP and think I have some bad habits that are tough to shake. Road Atlanta in February sounds like good idea to escape the winter
Old 08-17-2012
Grand Master

Hey Doug,
Good idea to change the channel and try out another track. Don't be too hard on yourself as everyone has their own learning curve at this stuff. Your stomach wasn't helping you any either... But you soldiered through and hung in to the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterDSW View Post
Ryan #75, LRP 8/13-14. I was the slow guy in #80. Seemed like it was a very fast group in general. I couldn't get rid of that voice in the back of my head when screaming down the downhill, looking into straight, "you cant possibly go this fast through this turn, compression or not, why are you trying to kill us!" The speed the young guys were carrying was impressive to see, as I was more speedbump for them than competitive. All in all a good time for myself. I believe next step will 2-day at different track. I have done 3-day and 2 2-days at LRP and think I have some bad habits that are tough to shake. Road Atlanta in February sounds like good idea to escape the winter
Old 08-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterDSW View Post
I was the slow guy in #80.
Where did you sit? I didn't get to take numbers out on track! It was a lot easier to keep up with who was in what during the 3-day and the split driving groups. Lots of watching other drivers going around.

I like the two-day program. I might have to do that each year to get my fix and stay sharp. I love Road Atlanta (from simracing), it seems like it would be a blast to go down the esses in the RT cars. Mt. Tremblant would be fun too. I hope to sample Sebring in the winter (:fingers crossed, I want to experience the bumps compared to a smooth LRP. Better get some padding for my knees/thighs!

Old 08-17-2012
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2

As the master of the Advanced 2 day (I took 3 of them)
I was intimidated by the fast young guns and the fast instructors. They could pass me at will and leave me with nothing but a face full used rubber and unburned gasoline.

But, I had the Todd Snyder Experience at Watins Glen one year.....

I was a week away from a 2 day school at Mt Tremblant, when I received a call telling me the school was cancelled. But would I be interested in the same school a Watkins Glen?
Well, at first I was disappointed, as I had already done a 2 day there and the place kinda intimidated me with the speed and close walls. But I accepted the invite because I couldn't resist the urge to get in a racing car!

Upon arrival, I expected the usual 20 or so participants and was surprised to see only 4 people! The change of plan on late notice had done its damage! The usual plan was kinda scrapped as there weren't enough people to make up 2 sessions.

So we just had a car to ourselves and a single instructor too. Mine was Todd Snyder. ( a Gravelly voiced, chain smokin, semihardass, experienced hot shoe who became the director of competition for Skippy) I was in deep and I knew it!
The first day was the usual skidpad stuff (I love this!) And lapping sessions and critique. And since we were so few...... We got a LOT of Critique! At days end I was too exhausted to eat much at dinner. I thought I was doing good to not fall asleep in my plate.

The second day dawned hot and sunny, and we were down to 2 students. They probably died of exhaustion during the nite!
But now the rules had changed. The instructors would drive an R/T right along with us and have a one on one driving experience.
Todd was going to show me where I was slower than he was......... Duh!.... Everywhere!
But spending hour after hour in the car, things changed for the better. The breaks between drives were only long enough to fill the car up with fuel and get a cold drink. I found that I didn't panic when the car got loose. And Todd didn't pull away as quickly as before.

In the afternoon, I became the leader of our duo. I found speed where I hadn't before. But Todd had a nifty way of telling me when I was slower. When my exit speed was slower than his, he simply lined up his nose cone to my gearbox and gave me a bump draft push! I was learnin really fast indeed! At the end of the day (almost 7 hours in the car... at speed)
the bumps became lighter and less frequent. I was learning!

As you may know by now, It was an unforgettable experience and totally unrepeatable! After the fun of that weekend, It is hard to imagine more info getting into my brain in such a short period.

And even after all of this

Pat Daly still kicks my ass!

Thanks for listening

George Kline
Old 08-17-2012

I don't know how you did it... I was beat after 15 laps at LRP! I knew I was in trouble when I found myself wedging my left elbow into the frame to hold the wheel in Big Bend and West Bend. I changed my seat position and that actually helped, I was more on top of the wheel. I think I need to do some regular karting to work the body before I do more RT stuff...
Old 08-17-2012
Grand Master

Karting is good but you will experience a quantum leap in confidence and energy conservation from a poured foam seat insert. You sit in the hard seat of an open wheel car that is lined with a big black plastic bag. The bag is filled with two part expanding foam that heats up around you. After it hardens you are extricated from the seat and the foam is trimmed and covered to create an insert custom made to your dimensions.
You don't realize how much arm and leg energy goes into holding you in place in the car (even with foam panels shoved in around you) until you don't have to do it. Your arms and legs are freed up to just steer and use the pedals and the task of driving becomes much simpler and enjoyable.
There is usually a mechanic at each location who does this and the charge is somewhere between $100 and $150. It's the best investment you'll ever make in your driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr427 View Post
I don't know how you did it... I was beat after 15 laps at LRP! I knew I was in trouble when I found myself wedging my left elbow into the frame to hold the wheel in Big Bend and West Bend. I changed my seat position and that actually helped, I was more on top of the wheel. I think I need to do some regular karting to work the body before I do more RT stuff...
Old 08-17-2012
That Guy at LRP's Uphill

Hey Ryan! I was impressed with your speed up the hill on day one. I'm wondering if you were trying out some other things there on Tuesday, though; it just looked different to me at that point. Also, sorry for any lacking of blue flags to give the cars you were passing a heads-up - always hard to tell apart some of the cars (or keep focus with radio chatter).
Old 08-20-2012

Thanks Trevor, your comments about my entry into West Bend as I was leaving my 3-day really helped get it through my head where I was lacking. I still am only about 70% there at West Bend, having the telemetry helps too, which I did that at the 3-day.

Luckily, I have video from day one and day two, I'll compare what I was doing at the uphill. I was checking the revs at or near the crest just about every lap, that's how I would judge that. I might have conquered my fear there, and maybe wasn't challenging myself there after that. Its amazing how much the car likes the compression, so there's definitely room for speed there. Another theory is I may have been braking harder on day one, and using more throttle from turn in to apex. Day two I probably braked less, didn't carry enough speed b/c (out of fear!) didn't have enough maintenance throttle until apex #2.

Again, thanks for the notes. I hope to see you at your post again soon!
Old 08-30-2012

Anybody from my class (3-day on April 30, or 2-day on August 13) want to meet at the Harpoon tent this weekend at the Vintage Festival, drop me a PM. I'll be there Saturday with my camera, and Monday with the family. Hope to get the kids hooked on real race cars (not those talking toy trains...).

-Ryan

Bookmark This Thread