Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Race Series Discussions

Old 10-05-2011
Your favorite PR Girl
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

The Official Karting Scholarship Shootout Thread!

The Karting Scholarship Shootout is almost full!

Celebrity Judges and Curriculum Announced for Karting Shootout

Only one month remains until the 2011 Annual Skip Barber Karting Scholarship Shootout at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca; a Shootout that has awarded over sixty-four scholarships to famous racers such as Ryan Hunter-Reay (IZOD IndyCar Series), Alexander Rossi (World Series by Renault), Spencer Pigot (USF2000) and many more. Few seats remain and time is running out for potential applicants. Only $2,500, the Shootout offers more value than any other program of its kind. Participants will learn driver safety, media skills, sponsor relations from today's professionals and receive quality on track time in Formula Skip Barber 2000 race cars.

The first day of activities will be dedicated to safety and survival modules provided by Skip Barber Racing School and sponsored by the FIA Motorsports Safety and Development Fund. These drills include:
1) Skids, recoveries and car control in Mazda RX8's on a wet skid pad
2) Car handling on an autocross in Mazda MX5's
3) Safety discussion with Skip Barber Racing School instructors.

For many of these young participants, this may be their first experience behind the wheel of a street car and they will be judged on their adaptability, skill and overall presentation. For the first time of the event, the karters will also strap in and become acclimated to the Formula Skip Barber 2000 race cars by running on an autocross track.

The first day will also consist of mock interviews with SPEED broadcaster Bob Varsha and long-time auto racing writer and broadcaster Jeremy Shaw. Contestants will be judged on professionalism, ease of speaking, and overall presentation.

In motorsports, presentation and ability to promote one's self are a necessity amongst professional race car drivers. The second day of training will begin with several seminars to educate the drivers on skills needed to succeed in motorsports. Skip Barber Racing School alumnus and IZOD IndyCar Series driver Townsend Bell, arguably the most skilled racer in finding effective sponsorship, will be presenting on sponsorship in the sport. Dean Case, Communications Officer of MAZDASPEED Motorsports will speak on media and sponsorship. Finally, Skip Barber Racing School alumnus and ALMS driver Gerardo Bonilla will present on the preparation of a race car driver.

The rest of the event, the karters will be performing on track at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Formula Skip Barber 2000 race cars. Points will be rewarded based on best lap times and deducted for car contact and spin offs. On the final day, the panel of 12-13 judges including, Jeremy Shaw and Bob Varsha, more will gather to deliberate the winners of the ten scholarships including the grand prize of a full season in the Skip Barber Racing School presents the 2011-2012 Winter Race Series or Summer Race series to further train, develop and compete in hopes of advancing up the MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development Ladder; a ladder that allows young racers to advance from Skip Barber Racing School to USF2000, the first step in the Mazda Road to Indy. The Mazda Road to Indy awards drivers scholarships to advance to Star Mazda, Firestone Indy Lights and ultimately the IZOD IndyCar Series.

As a prerequisite to compete in the Shootout, karters must complete a Skip Barber 3 Day Racing School at one of the School's various locations. Call 800.221.1131 for program availability and to apply today. Acceptance is based on seat availability, so don't wait!
Old 10-08-2011
Testing Entry Speed / Advanced Member (25+ Posts)

Re: The Official Karting Scholarship Shootout Thread!

My son Angus is looking forward to it. And it will be his second time behind the wheel in a street car!

Funny story - last November, just after turning 12 years old, Angus took his 3-day at Road Atlanta. Chris Weirheim let Angus drive one of the Mazda sedans for a couple of laps with 2 other students in the back seat (those other students were both over 30 years old). After returning to pit lane, Angus jumped out of the driver's seat and ran over excited to tell me how he got to drive a street car! I noticed the 2 other students in the back seat get out, and one of them leaned over to the other one and said, "boy, that was hairy!" I couldn't help but laugh, cause i knew it must have been
Old 10-09-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

HAHA That's too funny! Looking forward to meeting you and Angus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusdad View Post
My son Angus is looking forward to it. And it will be his second time behind the wheel in a street car!

Funny story - last November, just after turning 12 years old, Angus took his 3-day at Road Atlanta. Chris Weirheim let Angus drive one of the Mazda sedans for a couple of laps with 2 other students in the back seat (those other students were both over 30 years old). After returning to pit lane, Angus jumped out of the driver's seat and ran over excited to tell me how he got to drive a street car! I noticed the 2 other students in the back seat get out, and one of them leaned over to the other one and said, "boy, that was hairy!" I couldn't help but laugh, cause i knew it must have been
Old 10-27-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Revealed: Entries and Schedule for
Skip Barber Karting and Race Series Shootout

Braselton, Ga.(Oct. 27). The 1st Annual Race Series Champion Shootout and the 15th Annual Skip Barber Karting Scholarship Shootout at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca are less than a week away. November 3-6, eight racers and twenty two karters will compete in Formula Skip Barber 2000 race cars for over $245,200 in scholarships for the upcoming Skip Barber presents the Mazda Winter and Summer Series.
The winners will be added to an esteemed list of past Skip Barber Racing School scholarship winners including Ryan Hunter Reay, Michael Valiante, Bryan Sellars, AJ Allmendinger, Alexander Rossi, Spencer Pigot and many more.
Through a series of on and off track training modules, contestants will be judged on performance, presentation, improvement and much more.
Guest speakers include past and current racers Townsend Bell, Gerardo Bonilla, Derek Daly and Communications Officer of MAZDASPEED Motorsports, Dean Case. Celebrity judges include SPEED broadcaster Bob Varsha and long-time auto racing writer and broadcaster Jeremy Shaw.
Get the inside scoop on the action all week long on twitter at twitter.com/skipbarbernatl.

Click here to see the 2011 entry lists, including photos and small biographies of each racer and karter.
Schedule for the 2011 Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout and Karting Scholarship Shootout*
Day 1, November 3rd Karters Only
8:00-8:30am Drivers Meeting
9:00-11:50am Autocross activities, skidpad activities and Highway Safety Talk
12:00-12:45pm Lunch
1:00-2:00pm Seminar by Derek Daly
2:10-5:00pm On track orientation, super cross activities, mock interviews
5:15pm Drivers Meeting
Day 2, November 4th
8:00-8:30am Drivers Meeting
8:45 Seminar by Dean Case
9:45-10:30am Media training with Bob Varsha and Jeremy Shaw
10:45am-12:00pm Seminar by Gerardo Bonilla
12:00-1:00pm Lunch
1:00-1:15pm Drivers Meeting
1:30pm-4:50pm All groups rotating on track sessions and feedback, interviews
5:00pm Drivers Meeting

Day 3, November 5th
8:15-8:45am Drivers Meeting
9:00am-12:00pm All groups rotating on track sessions and feedback
12:00-1:00pm Lunch
1:00-4:10pm All groups rotating on track sessions and feedback
4:20-4:50p Drivers Meeting

Day 4, November 6th
8:00-8:45Drivers Meeting
9:00am-12:00pm All groups rotating on track sessions and feedback
12:00-1:00pmLunch
1:30pmDrivers Meeting Announce winners or Finalist Group (if necessary)
1:45-2:15pmFinalist Group (if necessary)
2:15-3:00pmFinal Deliberation (if necessary)
*Seminar by Townsend Bell time slot TBA

Race Series Champion Shootout prizes are courtesy of Skip Barber Racing School and MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development. Karting Scholarship Shootout prizes are courtesy of the FIA Motorsports Safety and Development Fund, Skip Barber Racing School and MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development.

Last edited by KBruSBRS; 10-27-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

also add Andrew Hobbs to the list!

Name: Andrew Hobbs
Hometown: Bayside, Wisconsin
Karting: World Karting Association
Inspiration: David Hobbs
Random Fact: I am on student council at my high school
Old 11-04-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Skip Barber Shootout Day One: Safety and Development at Mazda Raceway

The 15th Annual Skip Barber Karting Scholarship Shootout kicked off yesterday at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Twenty two karters came together at the legendary facility for a day dedicated to safety, courtesy of the FIA Motorsports Safety Development Fund. Drivers participated in a series of modules including sliding recoveries on the skid pad, highway safety discussion, and an auto cross session. Through these sessions, karters were able to not only improve on their everyday driving skills but also learn new, safer driving techniques.

Motorsports legend Derek Daly held a seminar, coaching the young racers on what it takes to be the overall champion, both on and off the track. “The seminar was really interesting,” said karter Parker Nicklin. “It really makes you think about all the types of drivers. It gave me a whole new perspective.”

With communicative skills also being taken into consideration, each karter had a mock interview with Bob Varsha and Jeremy Shaw, two incredibly well-known figures in motorsports communications. “Bob Varsha may be the most well-known and well recognized personality in motorsports,” said karter Nova Brown, “and he’s the nicest guy in the world. I felt relaxed, I felt comfortable. My answers were serious but to the point and concise.”

Karters finished the day with a session on the Skip Barber Racing School super autocross in the Formula Skip Barber 2000 race car—the first time in the car for many of the karters. The clouds came and it started to rain as the session came to a close.

Today, the karters will attend seminars by Bob Varsha and Jeremy Shaw, MAZDASPEED Motorsports Communications Officer Dean Case, and Skip Barber alumni and ALMS driver Gerardo Bonilla. The afternoon will be spent on track at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in the Formula Skip Barber 2000. Joining the competition will be nine Skip Barber Racing School racers, competing in the Race Series Champion Shootout, with prizes to compete in another season in the Skip Barber Race Series.

Old 11-05-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Skip Barber Shootout Day Two:
Celebrity Seminars and on Track at Mazda Raceway

Monterey, Cal. (Nov. 5). The 15th Annual Skip Barber Karting Scholarship Shootout started its second day yesterday at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Karters were joined by the contestants of the1st Annual Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout. Both groups are competing in separate classes for roughly $250,000 in scholarships to compete in the upcoming winter or summer season in the Skip Barber Race Series. The rain came down as the participants spent the morning inside attending seminars from MAZDASPEED Motorsports Communications Officer Dean Case, SPEED broadcaster Bob Varsha and long-time auto racing writer and broadcaster Jeremy Shaw and Skip Barber Alumnus Gerardo Bonilla.

Covering everything from the business of motorsports, to media relations to data analysis, the young racers were presented with a plethora of information that if used, will prove to be invaluable for their budding careers. “I took two pages of notes,” said Tristan DeGrand. “I wish there were notes like that for school.”

After the seminars, drives split into three groups and were finally able to show their skills on the race track in the Formula Skip Barber 2000 race car. “I thought yesterday was really interesting,” said Karting Shootout participant Haley Jenni. “I didn’t go off the track at all, but I could use some improvement. I’m really excited for the next two days.” Despite timing glitches, the karters and racers remained focused and dedicated the sessions to learning the track and the legendary Corkscrew. “There’s not turn in any track in America like it,” said Race Series Shootout participant Jake Eidson. “It feels like you’re almost flying for quick second.”

Today, the participants dedicate the entire day to training on track in their selective groups. Each group will receive two on-track sessions. Live timing and scoring will be available on the Android and iPhone with Race Monitor by Karting Coach, Inc app for $4.99. Download the app then launch. Select “Directory” then “SBRS Shootout 2011.”
Old 11-06-2011
Irrational National
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 815

Kelly,

Thank you for posting the news for all of us on the forum!

Professor of Comedic Slip Angle Use
Old 11-06-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Skip Barber Shootout Day Three:
Racers Tested on Adaptability

Monterey, Cal, (Nov. 6). Yesterday marked the halfway point for the 15th Annual Skip Barber Karting Scholarship Shootout and the Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout. Split into three groups, the racers spent their first session of the day in the usual fashion, getting acclimated to the track and improving on the previous day’s lap times. After lunch, the racers were thrown a slight curveball. Instead of just practicing on track for their second session of the day, they were organized to race in a competitive module, with two warm up laps and 10 green flag laps. Designed to evaluate the each racer’s adaptability, judgment, competitive nature, the competitive module, the competitive module allowed judges to get a glimpse of what areas each racer excelled in and could use improvement. “It’s a really good tool to see each racer’s performance,” said Race Series Champion Shootout participant Danilo Estrela. Max DiBella, like most of the karters was surprised and nervous. “It added a lot of pressure,” he said. “But it was really useful. It was the first time most of us ever raced wheel to wheel. It gave us great experience of racing in a car.”

The competitive modules where not designed on a winner-takes-all basis, but strictly another tool for evaluation. Time sheets for the competitive modules can be found here.

Today, racers will attend a sponsorship seminar by IZOD IndyCar driver Townsend Bell before heading on track for at least one more session before deliberations begin. If the expert panel feels the need to add another round of on track session, then the scholarship announcements will take place this afternoon.

Follow the action all season long on twitter.com/SkipBarberNatl and on skipbarber.com.

Kelly Brouillet
kbrouillet@skipbarber.com
Old 11-07-2011
Your favorite PR Girl

Skip Barber Shootout Day Four:
Estrela and DeGrand Win the Big Prizes

Monterey, Cal. (Nov. 7). After four days of intense training, seminars, on-track sessions and constant evaluations, the winners of the Skip Barber Racing School 15th Annual Karting Scholarship Shootout and the Race Series Champion Shootout have been chosen by the expert panel of judges, after almost three hours of deliberation. Danilo Estrela and Tristan DeGrand were the top winners of the event; each winning a full season in the Skip Barber presents the Mazda Winter or Summer Race Series. The remaining awards are as follows:

2011 Skip Barber Race Series Champion Shootout
Award Winners
1st Place
Danilo Estrela
Full season in the Skip Barber presents
the Mazda Winter or Summer Race Series
2nd Place
Kenton Koch
$30,000
3rd Place
Franco Aragones
$26,000
4th Place
Andrew Hobbs
$20,000
5th Place
Michael Johnson
$15,200
6th Place
RC Enerson
$10,000
7th Place
Jake Eidson
$10,000

2011 Skip Barber Karting Scholarship Shootout
Award Winners
1st Place
Tristan DeGrand
Full season in the Skip Barber presents
the Mazda Winter or Summer Race Series
2nd Place &
3rd Place TIE
Nick Neri & Adrian Starrantino
$28,000
$28,000
4th Place
Aaron Teliz
$20,000
5th Place
Leonardo Jafet
$15,200
6th Place
Ayla Agren
$10,000
7th Place
Aiden Landuaer
$10,000
8th Place
Nicholas Silva
$8,000
9th Place
Nicolas Armien
$8,000
10th Place
Jack West
$8,000

Scholarship winners with Skip Barber Racing School CEO Michael Culver

“This is what we live for: turning racers into champions in the most effective fashion,” said Skip Barber Racing School CEO Michael Culver. “Our model developed over 36 years continues to develop drivers that compete at world class levels. We have a history like no one else, and the resumes of our alumni underscore the success of our system. We continue to learn and improve and that dedication is what drives our employees and instructors.”

In addition to expert coaching from staff, the participants of the 2011 Skip Barber Shootouts were able to learn from from esteemed motorsports figures including Bob Varsha and Jeremy Shaw, IZOD IndyCar Series driver Townsend Bell, Skip Barber Racing School alumni Gerardo Bonilla, MAZDASPEED Communications Officer Dean Case, former Formula One driver Derek Daly. “I’m absolutely amazed at this program,” said JoAnn, mother of Nick Neri, before the award announcements. “I think it’s the best. I’m so happy that we did it. I’ve learned so much and Nick has learned so much. Now coming here, we see you don’t jump the ladder system. It’s not going to work.”

“Building a foundation for a motorsports career means more than just being fast, said SPEED broadcaster Bob Varsha. “The beauty of this program is that in addition to track time and instruction, young drivers get that ‘off track’ education about media, marketing, sponsorship, attitude and all the other things that go into being a successful professional. I’m happy to help in that process.”

After 36 years, Skip Barber Racing School remains dedicated to providing aspiring racers with the tools necessary to advance up the motorsports ladder and be successful. “This is a wonderful opportunity for anybody at this stage in his or her career,” said Jeremy Shaw. “The standard has been high as usual, and I’m delighted to be able to play a small part in the program.”

Three Generations of Hobbs at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (l. to r. David, Andrew and Greg Hobbs)
The scholarship winners will be able to use their funds for either the upcoming Skip Barber presents the Mazda Winter or Summer Race Series. The 2011-2012 Winter Race Series begins Thursday, November 10th at Road Atlanta. (Photo upload still in progress)

Bookmark This Thread