Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Old 11-03-2011
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Am I ready to race?

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in awhile, but seeing as the Winter Series is coming up I thought I'd make a quick post to help assess my thoughts.

Anyways, so this past year I took the Advanced Car Control and MX-5 Advanced 2 Day classes, both at Laguna Seca. I felt that I got positive feedback after both and am now itching to participate in my first race. My question is, where to do it and am I prepared? I am already thinking that I will definitely do my first race at Laguna Seca, since that is the only track on the calender that I am familiar with. Secondly, I am concerned about my level of preparation, besides the classes through Skip Barber, I have about a dozen or so track days under my belt spread over the past few years. I do not own any equipment besides my own helmet and that itself is pretty old at that. Would anyone recommend that I purchase my own suit, shoes, gloves, etc? If so, what are some good entry level products?

After my first race I will be thinking about if I am going to seriously pursue racing as a career or just keep it as a hobby.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Eddie Nagao
Old 11-03-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8
Re: Am I ready to race?

Eddie, if you have done your two day and passed without issue then you can do your first race. Just be realistic about your goals in your first race and have fun. The instructors and other drivers will be happy to assist you during the weekend.

SBRS will provide loaner helmets and racing suits. The only 2 things you might want to buy is a pair of racing gloves and perhaps shoes for your first race. If you then decide to do more you probably will want to get your own gear including a Hans device. If you don't want to buy shoes just make sure you have some sort of leather narrow shoe like a driving shoe that is not too wide.

Your helmet probably does meet the current Snelll rating if it is old.
Old 11-04-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Agree with all LRR's great advice, but he probably left out a "not" in the last sentence.

Use the Skippy stuff until you know what you want to do. If you decide to buy gear, Bell has a wide range of helmets for any price point, but your brain is the only one you'll ever get, so I recommend biting the bullet for a top of the line lid and living to complain about how much it set you back. Suit-wise the G-Force GF545 matches the expensive European ones in terms of fabric quality, comfort and protection for an unbelievably low price, and they make passable gloves as well. Do not under any circumstances try on a pair of Sparco Tide gloves. They are WAAAAY over-priced, and once you put them on, you will never take them off. Ever.
Old 11-05-2011

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Agree with all LRR's great advice, but he probably left out a "not" in the last sentence.

Use the Skippy stuff until you know what you want to do. If you decide to buy gear, Bell has a wide range of helmets for any price point, but your brain is the only one you'll ever get, so I recommend biting the bullet for a top of the line lid and living to complain about how much it set you back. Suit-wise the G-Force GF545 matches the expensive European ones in terms of fabric quality, comfort and protection for an unbelievably low price, and they make passable gloves as well. Do not under any circumstances try on a pair of Sparco Tide gloves. They are WAAAAY over-priced, and once you put them on, you will never take them off. Ever.
Thank you for the typo catch.....definitely NOT!
Old 11-05-2011

Gallery Images: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
Do not under any circumstances try on a pair of Sparco Tide gloves. They are WAAAAY over-priced, and once you put them on, you will never take them off. Ever.
Slight hi-jack here, but speaking of which, do any of you have size 10 Sparco hands?
Old 11-19-2011
Moving Chicane / Regular Member (<5 Posts)

Go for it. If you have asked the question you already know the answer! Let us know how the first race went
Old 11-20-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

You're ready... As LRR says set simple realistic goals. Take human bites and enjoy the experience. Gloves and shoes will help... also drug store foam ear plugs aren't a bad idea. If you find you want to do more after your first you'll want a helmet, hans device, your own Nomex underwear and racing suit and a foam seat insert that will hold you snuggly in the seat and lessen the amount of arm strength needed to hold you in position in the car. They always have foam pads at the track you can use until you get one but a custom poured foam seat insert will increase your quality of life in the car dramatically if you decide to do more.
Old 11-22-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Nagao View Post
...My question is...am I prepared?...
After my first race I will be thinking about if I am going to seriously pursue racing as a career or just keep it as a hobby.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Eddie Nagao
First ever race in a formula car - the answer to your question is both no and absolutely!

As to a first race evaluation of your future, I'm guessing that the answer will primarily revolve around the date of the NEXT race.

Go have a ball.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Bookmark This Thread