Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 03-29-2010
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
SFI Decertifies Impact Racing Products

INDUSTRY: SFI Decertifies Impact Racing Products

Written by: SPEED Staff
SPEEDtv.com
Date: 03/28/2010 - 12:16 PM
Location: In a move with wide ranging implications, Impact Racing, manufacturers of safety products such as firesuits that have become highly popular in series such as NASCAR and IndyCar, has had its products decertified by the SFI Foundation.

The SFI Foundation, and independent testing organization whose procedures are used almost universally to measure and certify the standards for specialty/performance automotive and racing equipment, posted the following notice on their website:
SFI Foundation, Inc., has issued a Notice of Decertification; Notice of Cease and Desist, and a notice terminating all Contracts of Participation to Impact Racing. Effective April 27, 2010, all products manufactured and/or distributed by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specification Programs 3.2A, 3.3, 16.1, and 16.5 are decertified. Evidence obtained by SFI shows that over a period of years Impact Racing has engaged in the production and use of counterfeit SFI conformance labels and patches, and affixed them to Impact products for use in motorsports. Under the Contracts of Participation between SFI and Impact, SFI conformance labels and patches may only be obtained from SFI and no other source. Evidence shows that Impact had counterfeit SFI labels and patches made in Asia and then affixed them to Impact products it distributed to members of the racing community.
To SFI’s knowledge, Impact never advised its customers that its products contained phony SFI labels and patches. Impact never advised SFI of its systematic and longstanding practice of counterfeiting and distributing SFI patches and labeling. Impact has been directed to cease and desist from this practice. SFI has directed Impact to immediately notify all affected customers to remove the counterfeit labeling and to offer the affected customers a full refund of the purchase price. SFI is requesting that all counterfeit conformance labels removed from Impact products be sent to SFI. SFI has elected not to decertify these products immediately in order to minimize the potential hardships to members of the racing community that have been brought about by Impact’s counterfeiting activities.
SFI has also elected to terminate all Contracts of Participation with Impact Racing effective 90 days from March 24, 2010. Under the terms of the Contracts, either party may terminate the agreements without penalty upon 90 days notice. This means that Impact will no longer be able to participate in any SFI programs after this 90 day period. SFI has taken these actions in the best interests of the safety and integrity of the racing community. This is in keeping with SFI’s mission and purpose.
How the news will affect drivers and teams using Impact’s products this weekend remains unclear.
Old 03-29-2010
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69
Re: SFI Decertifies Impact Racing Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp56 View Post

...SFI has elected not to decertify these products immediately in order to minimize the potential hardships to members of the racing community that have been brought about by Impact’s counterfeiting activities. ...

How the news will affect drivers and teams using Impact’s products this weekend remains unclear.
Yeah, I just saw this too. Specifically to give drivers time to deal with this without finding themselves out of compliance overnight, SFI elected to delay decertification for 30 days, when they could have done it effective immediately. So the equipment is still technically certified until April 27th. Whether one feels comfortable in equipment from a manufacturer in such gross violation of ethical standards is another issue. Obviously they had certification at some point. Why they chose to falsify the labels? Cost-cutting? It boggles the mind. I never owned any impact gear because the quality of the stuff seemed lower than everyone else. I couldn't really understand why pro drivers would wear it, other than it was free. It bothered me in a subconscious way, nothing I could explicitly articulate. Funny how those gut feelings get vindicated.
Old 03-30-2010
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhands View Post
It bothered me in a subconscious way, nothing I could explicitly articulate. Funny how those gut feelings get vindicated.
I know what you mean. I was never comfortable with safety gear named 'impact'. But then, after two colonoscopies, I get nervous whenever a Ford Probe passes by.

Anybody know if Bill Simpson still associated with the company?

Impact's response: http://www.impactraceproducts.com/
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."

Last edited by oldredracer; 03-30-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-05-2010
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

On Wind Tunnel this evening Dave Despain said that Impact has reached an agreement with SFI and all Impact products less than 2 years old have been re-certified. Dave also said there are ongoing negotiations to settle certificaton going back farther than two years. So at this point it seems to be about lawyers and money, not safety issues.
Old 04-08-2010
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
I know what you mean. I was never comfortable with safety gear named 'impact'. But then, after two colonoscopies, I get nervous whenever a Ford Probe passes by.
Way, way, way too funny!!
Old 04-09-2010
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
Way, way, way too funny!!
Thank you. Thank you very much. I'm here 'till Saturday. Try the roast beef.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 04-09-2010
Team OC/AD D

Gallery Images: 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredracer View Post
Thank you. Thank you very much. I'm here 'till Saturday. Try the roast beef.
Didn't I see you play at Grossingers and Kutchers?
Old 04-10-2010
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydude View Post
Didn't I see you play at Grossingers and Kutchers?

Bookmark This Thread