Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing Equipment, Race Tracks & Travel Discussions

Old 02-12-2011
Maximizing Exit Speed / Advanced Member (10+ Posts)

HANS Device Rental/Loaner?

Another newbie question: Are HANS devices in common use now at SB Lapping days? My helmet is anchored and all ready to go. I'm trying out the MX5Cup and Formula cars this week at Sebring and I'd prefer not to have to order a quiver of these at various angles of rake! I need a large 30 and large 10-20? Anyone rent these, or should I count on there being enough friendly people trackside that I could borrow one for 20 mins here and there?
Old 02-12-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112
Re: HANS Device Rental/Loaner?

While they are in common use at all Skippy racing activities they are not a requirement. It is a personal choice.

You probably don't need two as I have a 30 that works just fine for both open wheel and MX-5. I've never heard of HANS rentals but it's worth a google search. You may be able to find someone who will loan you theirs but I wouldn't count on that unless you already know someone who has offered. Also, needing a "Large" will really reduce the number of loaner options as there aren't that many around. There may be a used market out there as used ones do pop up here once in a while.

It is a highly recommended worthy investment in your safety so I'd encourage you to make the investment. Do think one will work in both cars but others should weigh in on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKAS View Post
Another newbie question: Are HANS devices in common use now at SB Lapping days? My helmet is anchored and all ready to go. I'm trying out the MX5Cup and Formula cars this week at Sebring and I'd prefer not to have to order a quiver of these at various angles of rake! I need a large 30 and large 10-20? Anyone rent these, or should I count on there being enough friendly people trackside that I could borrow one for 20 mins here and there?
Old 02-13-2011
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

I use a 20 for everything I drive and don't really notice the need for a 30 when in a formula car. You've probably already seen this fitment page, but in bold letters it says "In all cases driver comfort is the deciding factor." I guess my recommendation would be to try to decide what type of car you'll be driving most, and then get one HANS that corresponds to that type of car.

Get one, use one. If you only need it once, you'll be glad it was there.

Also, I can't imagine you have a legitimate need for a 10, especially with Skippy stuff.

http://hansdevice.com/Choosing-and-F...ur-HANS-Device

Good luck and have fun at Sebring!!!
Pete
Old 02-13-2011
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Like Pat, I use a 30 for OW and sedan racing
Old 02-14-2011
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

Previous threads on the subject:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...highlight=hans

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com/forum...highlight=hans
Old 02-14-2011

Thanks guys. I have used a large 30 back in 07 for OW (pre-sliding tether sys), so I know that works ok. Would be nice to try a 20 degree before dropping a gee - might be better suited for MX5 and Sedan Driver Ed. It's also possible I only need a med. Not sure I can get myself sorted for this Wednesday so I'll just have to deal for this round, and get myself sorted out for next time! Hopefully there will be some friendly people trackside so that I can get a feel for sizing/rake. Cheers!
Old 02-14-2011
Skippy Instructor
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKAS View Post
Thanks guys. I have used a large 30 back in 07 for OW (pre-sliding tether sys)
You can, as I did, upgrade your 30 to a sliding tether system. As you can imagine, it makes a big difference and it is extremely easy to do yourself. I got mine directly from Bell, but you can probably get the necessary hardware from any source that sells the HANS device.
Old 02-14-2011
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

Me too! Retrofit and got the parts from the HANS web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
You can, as I did, upgrade your 30 to a sliding tether system. As you can imagine, it makes a big difference and it is extremely easy to do yourself. I got mine directly from Bell, but you can probably get the necessary hardware from any source that sells the HANS device.
Old 02-15-2011
Mid-Corner Speed Master / Advanced Member (1,000+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
Get one, use one. If you only need it once, you'll be glad it was there.
Amen, brother.

Dittos on the 30. It's not an italian suit. it sits on your shoulders. Comfort is ok. So as long as you can't stand up in it you'll be fine.
QUALIFICATIONS 1987: Davidson: "Sammy Swindell's car runs a normally aspirated stock-block engine with Pontiac heads. It was developed by John Buttera." Palmer: "Wow, yeah, he used to play the sax with Louis Prima." Davidson: "That was Sam Butera." Palmer: "Oh, yeah."
Old 02-23-2011

It turns out Wine Country Motorsports has a driver equipment store right at Sebring, so I just strolled over and tried them on. Bought a Sport Med20 degree. Helps alot if you can get to a store that sells this stuff!

Tags
hans device rental borrow

Bookmark This Thread