Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums
Go Back   Team Juicy Racing's Racing School and Race Series Forums > Racing Schools & Race Series Forums > Racing, Driving, New Driver & High-Performance Driving Schools

Old 05-13-2009
Rookie / Regular Member (<10 Posts)

Gallery Images: 1
Location for 2 day advanced Course-Advice

Hi all, new to here. I attended the 3 day course a Laguna May 1,2,3 and had a blast. The instructors are great, and to say I'm hooked would be a HUGE understatement! I'm still riding the high and it's over a week later, and now I am looking for the best time and location for my 2 day advanced course. A big part of me wants to go back to Laguna and continue to learn and master that track, and it would be great to get the same instructors, but that's about the furthest one from me (I live in philadelphia). Also, it may be better to learn another track, etc. I don't hear great things about the LR track, but that one is the closest. Proximity isn't a huge factor for me.

My goal this year, is do a 2 day, and hopefully do a race weekend shortly thereafter, then next year do a few race weekends (depending on how I do of course!)

So any advice which track I should do the 2 day advanced course?

Thanks in advance!

Brian
Old 05-13-2009
red mist junkie
Winning Races / Advanced Member (250+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 2
Re: Location for 2 day advanced Course-Advice

Don't overlook LRP and don't believe everything you hear. LRP is a GREAT track. It is also the home of Skip Barber Racing so they are well stocked with technicians and spares.
I will admit that the OLD LRP track was.....intimidating. Especially when wet ( On the racing line the wheels did not have enough friction to start rolling when you completely removed your foot from the brake !)
But, that was then, this is now! And Now is great. The new surface is super smooth. The new configuration is extermely technical. Without the Instructors words of wisdom, You will never get a handle on this place. Things come at you fast and you will have very little time to relax. I was totally intimidated by this place until I was forced into a lead/follow with the smooth talker Rob Slonaker.
Suddenly, the place clicked and could breathe about 4 times a lap (as opposed to 1 breath for every 3 laps!) The lessons you learn at LRP will transfer to Any other track. Don't count out LRP by any means. I almost did, but I was saved by sheer determination.
Old 05-13-2009
Testing Mid-Corner Speed / Advanced Member (500+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 8

I love Laguna/Monterey for a lot of varied reasons, not the least of which is favorable weather year-round and lots of shopping and restaurants to keep my lovely wife happy. I did the Two-Day school there twice. But if I were looking to do a Two Day school again, I would look pretty hard at Road America. Big track, big speed, big fun. The Kink at RA is like Laguna turn 9 times ten.

Last edited by Rosso; 05-13-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2009
Diesel Demon

Some folks, myself included, did their Adv 2 Day the week of their first race weekend. While every option has it's own merits and drawbacks, some find doing the above helps in tackling the learning curve that accompanies the eagerly anticipated first race weekend. Learning a new track for your first race can be a good thing too, it really depends on the individual. By the time my first race Saturday rolled around I had completed my 2 Day, plus a Lapping Day, plus a Practice Day during that week. Lots of seat time and track familiarity leading up to that day, plus excellent coaching made my first race a lot more memorable.

Only my opinion of course, your mileage may vary. In any event, enjoy the school and hope to see you at the track this summer !

Viz
Old 05-13-2009

Gallery Images: 36

Welcome to the club. Did my 3-Day at Lime Rock Park and my ADV 2-Day at Laguna Seca. My general advice is to go somewhere different for your 2-Day. The suggestion of Road America is excellent, but LRP is also a good choice. As would be Mont Tremblant. Also, some great advice that I got from Kasey Kuhlman (remember him?) was "Don't look at it as a 2-Day school, but rather, when it is over you will have completed 2 full days worth of valuable exercises and track time."
Old 05-13-2009
Grand Master
Carbon Fiber Keyboard (3,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 112

If god told you that you could only run one race weekend in your life I wouldn't hesitate suggesting that race weekend be at Mt. Tremblant. The location and the track are both spectacular. Don't know if they're offering a two-day before that weekend but if you're high now... you'll be over the moon after a 2-day adv and then practice day followed by your first race weekend at Mt. Tremblant. There isn't a better destination location combined with world-class road course anywhere in North America. WGI has the track and Laguna has the location but Tremblant puts them both together like no other.

Having said that LRP is a great track to learn on and you'll have a ball no matter where you do your adv 2 day and 1st race weekend.

I'd check to see if they're offering a 2-day adv at Tremblant and strongly consider combining it with the race weekend. You'll be deliriously over stimulated.
Old 05-14-2009
administrationistperson

TJR Forums Contributor / Supporter

Gallery Images: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalyduo View Post
There isn't a better destination location combined with world-class road course anywhere in North America.
You ever been to Road America? MT has the village (which I find more and more neurotic each year), but RA ambiance is like something from a Norman Rockwell painting, like going back in time, VERY nice place, some good restaurants, very nice people (unlike some French Canadians) and the clincher is having a cold one at Siebkens

RA schools use this config a lot, do schools ever use full course at RA? School course probably best for learning, you see each corner more often per session on shorter course (but go back to experience turns 1 & 5 )

You must race at Tremblant sometime as well, it is superb....hell, gotta try 'em all

Last edited by cdh; 05-14-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2009
Pitlane Sasquatch
Entry Speed Demon / Advanced Member (100+ Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
You ever been to Road America? MT has the village (which I find more and more neurotic each year), but RA ambiance is like something from a Norman Rockwell painting, like going back in time, VERY nice place, some good restaurants, very nice people (unlike some French Canadians) and the clincher is having a cold one at Siebkens

RA schools use this config a lot, do schools ever use full course at RA? School course probably best for learning, you see each corner more often on shorter course (but go back to experience turns 1 & 5 )

You must race at Tremblant sometime as well, it is superb....hell, gotta try 'em all
CDH,
I gotta go with you on Road America...

The whole package can't be beat!

Four miles of smooth, flowing racetrack. Great town,great people and the legendary "Vortex of Doom" known as Siebkens!
Just go easy on the Jaegermeister and you'll be fine!

BTW all ADV2's typically run on full course, which is the 'Real Deal'!!

SD
Old 05-14-2009
Grand Master

Gallery Images: 112

Love this forum... and the value added without a tax!

By golly no... I haven't been to Road America (and sadly won't get there this year either) but glad to hear its praises sung as worthy competition for Tremblant. The good news with RA is there are two race weekends there this season leaving someone wanting to venture into racing waters absolutely no excuses for not going! Between RA and Tremblant you can't help but have a great time.
Old 05-14-2009

Thanks for the great advice everyone! RA is very tempting, as is MT, what to do, what to do? I really loved Laguna, and would want more time to get the corkscrew down.

Here is a quick question, why is there two race weekends at RA, and none at Laguna? Does Laguna ever hold race weekends, or is that a Winter season course?
Old 05-14-2009
Diesel Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkieser View Post
Here is a quick question, why is there two race weekends at RA, and none at Laguna? Does Laguna ever hold race weekends, or is that a Winter season course?
Yes. Laguna is a (Winter) Western/Southern Series course. The old Eastern Series and Midwestern Series were combined this year into one Summer Series. In the past, RA had a summer date for a combined Eastern/Midwestern weekend, and a Midwestern only season finale in the fall.

Viz
Old 05-14-2009
G-force junkie
Speed Through Zen / Advanced Member (2,000+ Posts)

Gallery Images: 69

I strongly third the suggestion of Road America mainly because it is not an overly technical track. Coming out of the the 3-day school, unless one has tons of karting experience or is a prodigy, one is just coming to grips with the "Dance of the Inputs" necessary to balance the RT chassis appropriately enough to get some speed, ANY speed, out of it. If a track is too technical (such as Laguna or LRP and many corners at Tremblant) then IMO too much brain capacity is spent on trying to combat the devilish tricks the camber changes and deceptive corners play with you, when you should be working on the fundamentals of learning to drive the car through the corner. RA is a good ol' straightforward racer's track with many constant radius corners, perfect for working on both threshold and brush braking followed by rotation, balancing the car first on the brakes and then on throttle (Turn 3), and commitment to throttle to stabilize the car at high speed (the Kink). The nice thing about constant radius corners is that they give you predictable zones in which you can work on creating and controlling tire noise (ie slip angle) at lower speeds than complicated technical or high risk/high speed corners. The Carousel is a wonderful and safe place to get the feel of using your feet for car control at speed, as opposed to the steering wheel as required in low friction situations such as rain (two very different things). Turn 14 was where I finally learned how to turn in so that I could utilize the understeer produced by full throttle to get the ideal line for a good shot out rather than just "driving" the line (which is much slower). The straights give you an opportunity to rest and evaluate the previous corner before you have to think about what you are going to do next. The place abounds in physical visual references on which to base sight pictures to teach you to get away from using the cones. Plus when race day comes there are more passing zones than anywhere else to practice draft passes and outbraking maneuvers. If you are careful through the Kink and the exit of Canada (the Kink has a reputation so most newcomers respect it, but the exit of Canada is a secret monster just waiting to jump out and eat your car), there is practically nowhere else to hit a wall, which is an important factor for the beginning student. While it took a while to grow on me, RA has become one of my favorite tracks because it continues to be the place that teaches me the most about how to actually drive and balance the car.

The downside is that there is not that much to do outside of the racing sphere. There are nice restaurants in the area, the people are great, but not much of anything else (others who may know better feel free to correct me on this). But there is so much learning that goes on in an ADV2 and first race weekend that RA is the ideal place to focus on the activities on the track and spend the time away comparing notes with your racing colleagues, resting, recovering, and preparing for the next day. Or not: Siebkins is up there with the Seneca Lodge in the racer's pantheon of watering holes. Heil Jager!
Old 05-14-2009

Gallery Images: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDe View Post
...and the legendary "Vortex of Doom" known as Siebkens!...
SD

Well, since I didn't know if Bkieser was over 21 yet, wasn't going to mention THAT! Didn't want to set off a P911!

The "Vortex of Doom" was my initial introduction to the Stevie D. and Terry Lee Earwood show one August about 6 or 7 years ago. The rest is (fuzzy) history.
Old 05-15-2009
administrationistperson

well said Slowhands, very

Being from Philly you might opt for an eastern or midwestern track. As said, there is very little to do after racing at Road America, one reason I like Elkhart, but that's OK, you are there to hone your racing skills. Not about extracurricular activities, it's about the school and track.

The seasonal series ensure you can feed your addiction year round
Old 05-15-2009

Thank you all for your advice! To answer the question, I am 40 and have been old enough to drink for some time Having activities around the track is great, as it gives my wife something to do while I am at the track!

So I am probably going to go back to Laguna for a quick 2 day, as I feel like I have more to learn there, and keeping the variable of the track constant so I can work on honing all of the actual driving skills. (Also, I am obsessive, so I won't rest until I master the corkscrew!) After that, I'll figure out which race weekend I'm going to do, and do some lapping and lead follow stuff up to the race weekend.

thanks again, this site is great, now if I can only figure out how I can become a paying member without having to set up a paypal account!
Old 05-15-2009
administrationistperson

WIFE?????

Tremblant, Laguna, Monaco
Old 05-15-2009
administrationistperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDe View Post
...and the legendary "Vortex of Doom" known as Siebkens!

here's one for ya Stevie - I recall a few times when the sign looked this way
Attached Images

Last edited by cdh; 05-16-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Bookmark This Thread